Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Krish  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2021 08:05:39(UTC)
Krish

India   
Dear all

Although I have owned a Marklin starter set for a few years, I have not used it more than 3 times !. The last time I forgot to take out the batteries from my CS ( the first version, I think of cs) and the the CS was damaged beyond repair. SO I bought a new CS3 ( not a CS3+ ).

With the starter set, I got two turnout rails, which I operate manually. I want to know....

1) what hardware is needed to control the turnouts from my CS3
2) How to set it all up on CS3
3) where to get the hardware ( I live in Bangalore, India)

Thank you
Krish
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Krish
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2021 13:42:05(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hi Krish, begin by downloading the CS3 quick start manual. I recently also got the big book, item # 030937. It's more comprehensive.
All you need for turnouts on a CS3 is an M83 decoder per 4 turnouts, or if you prefer a decoder in each turnout, you can do that. They are all mfx now, so auto. recognition. You then assign the turnouts to spots on your track plan, or on the screen in approx. positions.
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2021 14:28:04(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
All you need for turnouts on a CS3 is an M83 decoder per 4 turnouts, or if you prefer a decoder in each turnout, you can do that. They are all mfx now, so auto. recognition.

I don't think you understood the question completely BigGrin

There is no such thing as "decoder in the turnout" or MFX for 1-gauge turnout decoders.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2021 14:42:58(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Krish Go to Quoted Post
1) what hardware is needed to control the turnouts from my CS3
2) How to set it all up on CS3
3) where to get the hardware ( I live in Bangalore, India)

1: It depends on which type of turnouts; I guess it's the "old" original stainless Märklin type and not the newer "Hübner" type.
For the "old" Märklin 5976 or 5977 you need a "Turnout Mechanism", item no. 5926 for each turnout.

To control the turnout mechanisms from the CS3 you need a M83 per each 4 turnouts - the older K83 module or a Viessmann 5211 can also be used.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/5625/

2: Others know much better than me BigGrin

3: Same as #2............. LOL

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2021 16:10:28(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Is he a 1 gague modeler? I did not read it in his question. If so, then he will also need the end circuit sets. They connect to the M83 output screws. One per turnout. Thye come two per set.
Krish, also wtch the Marklin digital yotube webinars by Curtis and Rick.
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 13 August 2021 16:16:02(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Is he a 1 gague modeler? I did not read it in his question.

I think it will be safe to assume that Krish runs 1-gauge; since the question was posted in in the "Big scale" part of the forum........... BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 13 August 2021 16:34:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Is he a 1 gague modeler? I did not read it in his question.

I think it will be safe to assume that Krish runs 1-gauge; since the question was posted in in the "Big scale" part of the forum........... BigGrin

Per.

Cool

He also mentioned that he has a G1 start set in the introduction forum.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2021 20:51:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That's what I get for reading posts whilst workng out. It's such an easy distraction though as my gym and layout are in a large shared space.
I any case. I gave Krish good points for connecting his points-frogs-turnouts. There are conflicting reccomendations from both Marklin and some dealers about the end circuit units.
They are only necessary for 1 gague DC/dcc, and not HO! Curtis and Rick emphasize this on the webinar regarding the M83 decoder.
An HO turnout doesn't have enough travel to facilitate setting a motion speed parameter on a CS3 I suspect.
I should also mention that I have two M83's powered from the track current which control 7 turnouts and an 8th. solenoid accessory. Two turnouts are 16 feet away from the M83, and perform flawlessly. On a very large layout with several M83's, a long distance cable from an M83 to a turnout or other solenoid accessory can tax the track current, so adding an external seperate power supply may be needed. The 1 gague or LGB power pack has mor amperage, so he can try long wiring first.
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 13 August 2021 22:24:41(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I any case. I gave Krish good points for connecting his points-frogs-turnouts. There are conflicting reccomendations from both Marklin and some dealers about the end circuit units.
They are only necessary for 1 gague DC/dcc, and not HO! Curtis and Rick emphasize this on the webinar regarding the M83 decoder.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about now ????

So far you haven't given any "good points", since except from mentioning the M83, the rest of your answers regarding the turnouts have been wrong Cool

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Krish  
#10 Posted : 14 August 2021 06:50:37(UTC)
Krish

India   
Thank you Purellum, Maklinist and Kiwialan.

I will start by acquiring a M83 and the turnout mechanisms. I will look at QuickStart too. Was going to buy the big book anyway ! :)

I am sure that I will have to seek your help many times in future.

Thank you all again.
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 14 August 2021 12:13:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You're quite welcome Krish! Others may also be of help. I found sorting out my confusion by reading the manuals, watching the webinars, and here as a process. Because Marklin translates to English, as any of us know how a few words get missed, or are wrong. Spell check auto correct can even goof.
One dealer I buy from even told me most Forum members don't know sheiza.
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 14 August 2021 14:12:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

One dealer I buy from even told me most Forum members don't know sheiza.

Did he also tell you to be leading by example ? LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2021 14:38:24(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No, because the example given me here to the question I asked him wasn't a good one!!!! He told me to call Marklin USA and ask if an insider coupon was still available for a certain model. Not to take at face value that I was told here only a limited number were lotteried out. He had the model, but I needed a club coupon for the lower price.
So, when I posted about the end citcuit units for the M83's, I wrote exactly as I read and heard. Read the Marklin site item descriptions. Most dealers copy and paste those as well.
I like what I see in the mirror.
Offline Purellum  
#14 Posted : 14 August 2021 15:57:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

So, when I posted about the end citcuit units for the M83's, I wrote exactly as I read and heard.

Yes; but apparently you didn't understand what you read and heard.

Read the Marklin site item descriptions.

I've read them several times, and it still doesn't make them work with the 1-gauge 5625 turnout mechanism - which is
the only Märklin turnout mechanism that fits the 5976 and 5977 turnouts delivered in the 1-gauge start sets.

Actually exactly as the Märklin description says, if you understand what you read Cool

I like what I see in the mirror.

You might be good looking; but you surely don't know anything about Märklin 1-gauge equipment LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 14 August 2021 17:11:09(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Nothing about my looks. when someone needs a mirror, they are projecting what they accuse of. Mu dad had an LGB garden raiulway, so I do know a bit about ! gague, and I also have 2 rail D.C. ho trains. Maybe somebody crapped in your cereal this morning.
Offline Purellum  
#16 Posted : 14 August 2021 17:50:32(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Mu dad had an LGB garden raiulway, so I do know a bit about ! gague, and I also have 2 rail D.C. ho trains.

This topic is about 1-gauge Märklin, not LGB, which is G-scale, and not about 2 rail DC H0 trains............... BigGrin

Maybesomebody crapped in your cereal this morning.

Maybe you should just stop now.

Not only are you giving wrong information; but also being rude instead of accepting it.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 14 August 2021 19:39:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You are muted!!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 14 August 2021 19:58:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
You are muted!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-55958195

Offline Purellum  
#19 Posted : 14 August 2021 20:29:17(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Sure, I try, and I'm sorry for Krish; but I can't leave so much wrong information uncommented Cool

Märklin 1-gauge start sets have only been sold with 5976 and 5977 turnouts.

The only turnout mechanism build to be mounted on those turnouts are the 5625.

The 5625 is made of two electro magnets, which are to be supplied with 16 V AC or DC.

The 5625 can not be controlled by the end circuit units for the M83s, since they are for turnout mechanisms with DC motors.

Having watched a webinar with "Curtis and Rick" or having watched your daddy's 1:22,5 scale train run in the garden
surely doesn't make anybody an expert in Märklin 1:32 accessories; we've just seen proof of that BigGrin

And I haven't even commented on this one:

On a very large layout with several M83's, a long distance cable from an M83 to a turnout or other solenoid accessory can tax the track current, so adding an external seperate power supply may be needed. The 1 gague or LGB power pack has mor amperage, so he can try long wiring first.

LOL Laugh LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 15 August 2021 00:33:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Cool

Sure, I try, and I'm sorry for Krish; but I can't leave so much wrong information uncommented Cool

That's OK, it wasn't you I was commenting on ... BigGrin
Offline Krish  
#21 Posted : 15 August 2021 05:54:40(UTC)
Krish

India   
thank you all

Purellum, can I assume that my turnouts ( 5976 and 5977) will work with just an M83, CS3 and a couple of 5625 turnout mechanisms ? Or do I need anything more ?

Thanks in advance
Offline Purellum  
#22 Posted : 15 August 2021 09:11:14(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

can I assume that my turnouts ( 5976 and 5977) will work with just an M83, CS3 and a couple of 5625 turnout mechanisms ?

Yes, this is correct, you don't need anything more.

As a cheaper alternative to the M83, you can also use a K83 or a Viessman 5211. ( Several others also exists )

I will take a look later today; I think I have the parts you need BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline hxmiesa  
#23 Posted : 15 August 2021 13:05:54(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
On a very large layout with several M83's, a long distance cable from an M83 to a turnout or other solenoid accessory can tax the track current, so adding an external seperate power supply may be needed. The 1 gague or LGB power pack has mor amperage, so he can try long wiring first.

A "long distance cable" to a solenoid (or DC point motor) would use LESS current from the power supply, as the electric resistance of the cable grows with length. The solution in that case would be to use a thicker cable with less internal resistance.
It's not a taxing on the current, but a drop in the voltage (two different things!). Even a perfect power-supply with no other job than to drive the point motor, could have this problem. Would you then raise the voltage to overcome the drop in the long cable? (hint; the answer is NO, you should not use more than the prescribed voltage)

In this thread you have let so much nonsense out, repeatedly, that you shouldn't really mute anybody when they alert you to this repeated nonsense.
If anybody should be muted, then... (!) ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Krish  
#24 Posted : 15 August 2021 13:15:13(UTC)
Krish

India   
Hi Purellum,

i can guess that the turnout mechanism is connected to the M83 ( or K83) decoder. But how is the M83 ( or K83 connected to the CS3? or is it connected to the track ? Excuse my ignorance !!
Offline marklinist5999  
#25 Posted : 15 August 2021 15:31:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Track power Krish, unless you have several. I have no problem with two on track current. I wasn't sure I'd need the auxiliary power supply and a seperate small switched mode power pack for that, but it all worked.
I don't think I told you any nonsense, just that some things are different for 2 rail, AC and DC. I didn't know at first what system you use. All digital is esssentially DC current. The AC current is rectified by decoders, control units, or a convertor.
I appologise to you for any confusion. The turnout end circuit units are to allow parameter speed adjustment of the turnout solenoids. An M83 decoder is basically a switching device.
It is the digital equivalent to a relay.
Offline Purellum  
#26 Posted : 15 August 2021 16:17:17(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I don't think I told you any nonsense, just that some things are different for 2 rail, AC and DC.

Ohm's law is the same, the M83 / K83 units are the same, and the turnout mechanisms are electro magnets in all relevant Märklin accessories.

The turnout end circuit units are to allow parameter speed adjustment of the turnout solenoids.

More nonsense BigGrin

It is not possible to adjust the speed of solenoids, the ( 60821 ) end circuit units are to adjust the speed of motors.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#27 Posted : 15 August 2021 16:24:40(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

But how is the M83 ( or K83 connected to theCS3? or is it connected to the track

To the track power, which means you can connect them either directly at the track, or at the wires going from the CS3 to the tracks.

Probably in your case the easiest place to connect wires for the M83 / K83 would be at the CS3, in the same plug where you take your power to the track.

From the "track power" you get both the digital signal to control the M83 / K83 and the power to drive the turnout mechanisms.

If you choose e.g. the Viessmann 5211, you can add the power supply from a different source, so you don't use valuable "track power";
but I'm sure that in your setup it will not be needed, you have enough power from your CS3 to power the turnouts also. BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Krish  
#28 Posted : 16 August 2021 06:46:30(UTC)
Krish

India   
Thank you both, Marklinsit and Purellum.

Yes, I have the big power supply the 60101. So I think track power should be enough. I have to hunt for M83/K83 and the 5625s now :)

I have rigged up my aeromodelling gear to operate the turnouts for the present....but only till I get the correct gear. ( am using the transmitter, receiver and 2 servos from aeromodelling gear to operate right now).

Thak you again.
Smile
Krish
Offline marklinist5999  
#29 Posted : 16 August 2021 10:15:05(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
You're quite welcome Krish! You sound well knowledgeable on electronics. I wouldn't know how to do anything with aeromodeling!
Offline Purellum  
#30 Posted : 16 August 2021 10:58:39(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I have to hunt for M83/K83 and the 5625s now

Don't buy anything yet BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Krish  
#31 Posted : 16 August 2021 11:02:08(UTC)
Krish

India   
ok purellum, I'll wait for your post
Offline marklinist5999  
#32 Posted : 16 August 2021 13:50:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I'm a Gumba too!!! Abruzzi and Sicilian, second generation. Being retired from the produce business I knew the local "Godfather" cartel. Cusmano, Furitano, Genovessi, Jaiccaloni, Tocco, etc. Offer it up!!!!! Drink from the chalace, break bread with, and watch your P's and Q's. The retirement plan is good, but you have to stay alive!
I know the difference from a motor and a solenoid, but technical terms vary by dialect, etc. Marklin calls an HO turnout solenoid a motor. Some call a Loco motor an engine.
Living by exact words can be confusing.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 16 August 2021 15:15:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I have rigged up my aeromodelling gear to operate the turnouts for the present....but only till I get the correct gear. ( am using the transmitter, receiver and 2 servos from aeromodelling gear to operate right now).

In that case I believe one of the marklin options will drive servo motors. If it is mfx it may even provide position feedback. But I am not familiar with the most recent Marklin decoders for this purpose, so can't offer more advice.

But it may be easier to do that than attempting to track down old (and possibly now rather expensive because of rarity) solenoid actuators.

but Per is more of an expert than me on G1.

Offline Purellum  
#34 Posted : 16 August 2021 16:04:17(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Marklin calls an HO turnout solenoid a motor.

No, they call it a "Electric Turnout Mechanism": https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/74492/

And you forgot that you have muted me............... LOL Laugh

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#35 Posted : 16 August 2021 16:22:03(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

In that case I believe one of the marklin options will drive servo motors.

It's actually a very good idea, if Krish already have spare servos ThumpUp

I don't know any Märklin equipment able to drive servos; but I know ESU has the "51832 Switchpilot" made to control 8 servos.

http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...lot/switchpilot-3-servo/

At least two sellers have them on Ebay.de and ship worldwide:https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=switchpilot+51832&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=switchpilot&_osacat=0

Buying one of these will definitely be cheaper than even my offer, and it can control 8 servos.

Krish, I think you should consider this solution, if you have spare servos at home - please let us know when you've made a decision BigGrin

For further advise on the 51832 Switchpilot, you should make a new topic in the digital section of this forum - I'm not familiar with this.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#36 Posted : 16 August 2021 17:13:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Cool

In that case I believe one of the marklin options will drive servo motors.

Krish, I think you should consider this solution, if you have spare servos at home - please let us know when you've made a decision BigGrin

Even if he doesn't have spare ones they are cheap as chips on eBay.

Offline Krish  
#37 Posted : 17 August 2021 06:15:21(UTC)
Krish

India   
Hi Purellum, KiwiAlan and Marklinist

I will certainly take a look at the references that you have given me. I will decide which way to go in a few days.

Having said that, my spare servos are Futaba servos used for controlling model aircraft control surfaces like rudder, elevator, throttle etc. I am not sure if they can be directly used....I may have to do some tinkering.

Thank you all again for your friendly supportSmile

Krish
Offline kiwiAlan  
#38 Posted : 17 August 2021 16:57:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Purellum, KiwiAlan and Marklinist

I will certainly take a look at the references that you have given me. I will decide which way to go in a few days.

Having said that, my spare servos are Futaba servos used for controlling model aircraft control surfaces like rudder, elevator, throttle etc. I am not sure if they can be directly used....I may have to do some tinkering.

Thank you all again for your friendly supportSmile

Krish

The ESU decoder that Per mentioned is designed to have a mode for driving these servos. They have become an almost ubiquitous defacto standard for servos.

Offline Krish  
#39 Posted : 18 August 2021 06:48:03(UTC)
Krish

India   
Thank you KiwiAlan.

I have started a new thread " Mixing ESU hardware with Marklin systems....".

I hope to get some help through that.

Thanx again
Krish
Offline phils2um  
#40 Posted : 18 August 2021 07:10:28(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Since you already have the turnouts setup to be operated by servos I would also recommend the ESU SwitchPilot 3. Here is a link to more info: http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...lot/switchpilot-3-servo/

MD Electronics also make a suitable decoder that can be used to operate two servos using DCC switch addressing which is compatible with the CS3. I am using many MD electronics decoder devices myself with my CS3 and can endorse the MD Electronics. Here is a a link: https://www.md-electroni...ent/MD%20mXion%20KBM.pdf
Phil S.
Offline Krish  
#41 Posted : 18 August 2021 07:34:19(UTC)
Krish

India   
Hello Phils2um

Thank you for your suggestion. What is DCC switch addressing ? how to do it ? it there link to read and learn DCC switch addressing?

Thanks again
Krish
Offline phils2um  
#42 Posted : 18 August 2021 08:18:02(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
The CS3 can operate both MM and DCC switch devices. The 03092 CS3 book has some limited discussion. The latest update may give more info. I have not seen it yet. In any case, LGB and Trix both used DCC switch addressing as native protocols prior to Märklin taking over. The CS3 thus supports DCC switch decoders just like it supports DCC loco decoders. DCC addressing actually allows you to control more devices, 2048 vice MM which is limited to 384. The DCC protocol and address is selected when you set up the device. I've not tried using the CS3 to modify DCC switch decoder settings yet. I've always used a Massoth decoder programmer to change DCC switch addresses from the default address. Now that you are asking I'll do some experimenting and let you know how it goes. In any case I'm using DCC addressing exclusively. I think both MM and DCC switch addressing can be used simultaneously from what the Märklin Dudes have said but can not confirm. I do have 4 new LGB mfx single channel switch decoders but found it simpler myself to set them for DCC only so I can determine their address rather than have one assigned by the CS3 when the decoder registers itself via mfx.
Phil S.
Offline Krish  
#43 Posted : 18 August 2021 08:40:27(UTC)
Krish

India   
Thank you Phils2um.

I am still exploring what to get. Should I decide on MD, then I will certainly need your help.

Krish
Offline phils2um  
#44 Posted : 19 August 2021 04:23:17(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Krish,

It is very easy to set up the CS3 to recognize and operate DCC switch protocol devices. You only need to add the device to your device list, change the protocol from MM to DCC and set the correct DCC address for the device. This works. The difficulty is making changes to a MD Electronics SWD decoder CV settings.

I did some experimenting today with my CS3 and a MD Electronics SWD decoder/servo point motor. I hooked the SWD to the prog track output of the CS3. What I was trying to do was change the DCC switch address using the configuration tab on the CS3. Despite many attempts I was not successful. The CS3 always came back with an error message and failed to read the SWD decoder's CV values.

I am able to write CV values using my Massoth decoder programming device. However, like the CS3, the Massoth programmer cannot read the SWD decoder CV values either. It returns meaningless numbers. I do not have a MD Electronics programming device which no doubt works fine modifying MD decoders just like the Massoth programmer works with Massoth decoders and the ESU LokProgrammer works with ESU decoders.

I'm pretty sure the inability of the CS3 and Massoth Programmer to read the MD decoder CVs is technical and related to not getting expected feedback after trying to access a CV.

For my purposes I change the MD decoder's address CV blindly using my Massoth programmer. The Massoth programmer will write to a DCC decoder's CVs without requiring feedback. I just can't verify the change by reading it back. To do this I first do a complete decoder reset by writing into MD decoder CV7 the value 16, then 11 and finally 33. 16 resets the programming lock if it was on. 11 resets the basic settings, and finally, 33 resets the function settings. This makes sure I'm starting from the known default CV settings. After resetting the decoder I enter my desired DCC switch address (the default address is 1) into decoder's switch address CVs, CV121 and, if necessary, CV120. (CV120 only needs to be changed for switch addresses 257-2048.) I then verify the decoder operation on the CS3. This is a cumbersome process but is workable for me with only a few CVs to change.

I had both the mfx(MM switch) protocol and DCC protocol enabled on my CS3 when I was testing today. I'm going to try again with CS3 set for DCC protocol only to see if it makes any difference with programming MD DCC switch decoders.

Lest you get lost in the above, what I'm trying to do is modify the MD servo decoder CV settings without using a separate programmer other than the CS3. You will need to be able to do this yourself if you want to avoid buying a separate programming device or finding someone to do the decoder programming for you. You will need change the decoder switch address CVs and also the servo endpoint CVs. This is true for both the MD decoders and also the ESU SwitchPilot servo decoder.

I do have an ESU LokProgrammer. I use ESU loco decoders in addition to Massoth DCC and Märklin mfx decoders on my garden RR. The LokProgrammer makes it very easy to modify any ESU decoder's CV settings.

One reason I'm emphasizing MD Electronics is because their DCC devices are about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of ESU or Märklin equivalents. I'm actually using three different types of MD decoder devices and am very pleased with their performance so far.
Phil S.
Offline Krish  
#45 Posted : 19 August 2021 06:04:22(UTC)
Krish

India   
Hello Phils2um,

I was completely lost with all that you wrote Smile .

I think the ESU switchPilot option seems attractive to me.

What is CV ? ( don't laugh !)

I have a vague idea about device addresses. I think the manual will tell me how to add a device to the device list. And also to change the protocol.

The fact that I have many ( over a dozen) futaba servos, makes it attractive to go for ESU switchPilot.

Is there a facility ( on the "switchPilot 3" ) to change the address with a button or something like that ? How do I make it k83 compatible ? or is that automatic ?

Thank you for all the trouble you are taking to help me.

Krish
Offline phils2um  
#46 Posted : 19 August 2021 07:35:35(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
No shame in ignorance! We all stated at zero! I suggest you start here:
https://en.wikipedia.org.../Digital_Command_Control

CV is short for Configuration Variable There are a number of these in every model railway digital decoder. The values stored in the CVs determine a decoder's behavior. Some CVs are standardized as to what they do. Others are used by each manufacturer modify the behavior of their particular decoders. Each manufacturer, Märklin, ESU, Lenz, Massoth, MD Electronics, etc. usually has a proprietary decoder programmer available to make changing the CVs on their decoders easy.

Most digital control central stations such as the CS3, can also do CV programming but it is often much more difficult and requires more hoops to jump through. Especially when the decoder is made by different firm.

I had not read the actual description of the SwitchPilot 3 Servo until now! It does seem the ideal solution for you. It can be completely set up without the need of a separate programming device. You may need to puzzle through the manual a bit. The digital model RR part is new to you but you clearly have a leg up on a lot of us with your knowledge and experience using servos.

The SwitchPilot 3 does not need to be k83 compatible. It needs to be compatible with the CS3. Which it is.
Phil S.