Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2020 20:12:41(UTC)
Harvey

United States   

For my passenger line I have decided to change over to k-track. Much of the balance of the passenger line is k-track, a I had changed from M to K last year. Reason for the change is the M switching tracks are mostly reliable but not all, even after cleaning and changing springs. I costed out 10 k turn outs (manual) and 5 solenoid and seems reasonable. (only 5 turn outs need to be mechanized).

Some questions:
-Is the arcing issue with the 75491 resolved or does one still need to apply the soldering solution previously suggested?
-I reviewed the installation and they seem straight forward. Any thing I should be aware of?
-Are these turn outs reliable (I have not seen anything to suggest they are not).
I would connect the 75491 to my K-83/M-83. Has Marklin developed something similar to what they have for C turnouts (74466)?

This change will require me to make some changes (given the different dimensions of K track and M track) but this should be manageable.

Regards
Harvey
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2020 06:37:02(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I use the 75491 for my hidden areas, they work very reliably so far - though I bridged mine. I think there will always be the problem of arcing since Marklin will always keep the protection there.

For my visible track I use servos mounted underneath with the connector/cover pieces from the underboard kit (just don't use those with solenoids, very unreliable)
If you don't mind seeing the solenoids above track, they are very reliable. You can mount the solenoids upside down to make them less conspicuous.

There is no point to a single decoder 74466 for K track because there is no road bed to hide the decoder in, hence why you use any suitable multi-port decoder. I use Lenz LS-150 as they are 6 ports and cost effective.

The turnouts 2265/2266 are reliable, less issues than the wide radius ones (which can also be reliable)
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2020 14:18:22(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Thanks for this information. I now feel comfortable with my planned change.

Regards
Harvey