Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline IBtrain  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2022 06:34:02(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
Hello guys.

I have another issue that I would appreciate some help with.

In a previous post I had problems getting a DCCnext decoder to control Marklin turnouts (the ones with a lanterns i.e. 2261s).
DCCNext and turnout

After a lot of trial and error, and some tips and help from others, I was successful it getting it setup using relays. ThumpUp

However they are not working 100% yet;
I use the Rocrail software on my computer connected to an ESU ECoS 50200 controller,
some Marklin k83 decoders for turnouts without lights
and the DDCnext decoder for the turnouts with lights (less power consumption from the DCC power).

When I control any turnout in Rocrail or the ECoS manually, the selected turnout will switch, all the time no problem.
Any turnout, on either decoder, the Marklin k83s or the ones on the DCCNext.
Great so I know they all work. Smile

When Rocrail is in the Auto mode all the turnouts connected to the k83s work fine all the time but;
the turnouts controlled by the DCCnext work intermittently, about 60% of the time yes and 40% no.Confused

In Rocrail I see that the turnout icon has switched to the selected route, in the ECoS the icon indicates that the turnout is in agreement with Rocrail,
however the actual position of the turnout has NOT changed, so the train does not follow the correct route and I get a "ghost train" indication once it enters the wrong block.

I have the DCCnext port setup as;
Accessory -6 with a buddy port, inverted, and the only thing I can adjust is the "On" time in milliseconds which I have tried from 50 to 1000.
I have read the Mardec6UK and looked for other options or settings to change, but have not found anything.

In the EcoS I have adjusted the timing for the accessory signal also between 100 to 1000 milliseconds.

In Rocrail there are so many different settings and places to adjust and change things which I have with no luck yet.
for example;
Rocrail properties Auto adjusted for turnout timing highlighted.jpg

If anyone has some suggestions or ideas to share that would be great.ThumpUp

Thanks
Kai

Edited by user 01 March 2022 04:41:17(UTC)  | Reason: Seems to be solved

Marklin K-track, Ecos 50200, RocRail
Offline IBtrain  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2022 05:27:49(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
I believe that I solved the problem with the DCCNect working intermittently while operating in the auto mode in Rocrail.

The short answer is I used larger gauge wire from my DDC bus to the DCCNext decoder.

I took the DCCNext out and replaced it with a new ESU switchpilot, connected the 4 turnouts to the switchpilot and they work all the time, as expected.
I then reinstalled the DCCNext at a different position and connected it to different turnouts on the layout.
I was using thin wire (about 0.08 or 0.10 mm2) from the DCC bus wire to the DCCNext decoder.
(for some info: the Marklin k83 decoders that I use have the thin gauge wire going from the DCC bus to the K83 and they work fine.)
After reinstalling the DCCNext decoder, it was only working 10 to 25% of the time, even in manual mode in RocRail and the same when operating the turnouts directly from the ESU ECoS, i.e. working worse than before.

Somehow I came up with the idea to try to use a larger gauge wire supplying the DCC signal to the DCCNet decoder.
I've spent some time testing and it seems to be working 99 to 100% of the time, even in auto mode.
I don't understand why the DCCNext decoder would need a larger gauge (0.20mm2) wire, than the Marklin k83 or the ESU switchpilot, but for some reason it looks like it does.
It's only a small change to make to get the DCCNext to work, and even if I don't understand why, I'll take it.

Just to be clear I am not using thin wire on my DCC bus, I am talking about the short section of wire from my DCC bus to the DCCNext.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IBtrain
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2022 16:21:11(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I believe there is an underlying problem that may not yet have been addressed. Out of curiosity, how are you communicating between Rocrail and your EcoS? Are you using WiFi or some form of hardwire? I have found that when I try to operate my layout from Rocrail through my CS2 using WiFi I get very unreliable operation and a lot of Ghost Trains due to the switch signal not being received. Once I replaced the WiFi setup with an Ethernet switch connection this unreliability went away.
Offline IBtrain  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2022 21:27:28(UTC)
IBtrain

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
I believe there is an underlying problem that may not yet have been addressed. Out of curiosity, how are you communicating between Rocrail and your EcoS? Are you using WiFi or some form of hardwire? I have found that when I try to operate my layout from Rocrail through my CS2 using WiFi I get very unreliable operation and a lot of Ghost Trains due to the switch signal not being received. Once I replaced the WiFi setup with an Ethernet switch connection this unreliability went away.

Hi Peter
There may well be, but I don't know where to look since it seems to be working now.
If you have any suggestion let me know. Or if you're ever in the area drop by. BigGrin

I have a direct connection with a "cross over" cable (I believe that is what it is called) between the ECoS and my laptop.
I have had no issues with the connection, so far.
ThumpUp

Cheers,
Kai
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IBtrain