Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Yoginath  
#1 Posted : 06 July 2023 14:26:26(UTC)
Yoginath

United States   
On June 30, 2023 (very recently), I posted this question and one reply came asking "What is my intention in making my Marklin turnout power-routing?" .. Afterwards .. I had technical difficulty in logging in.
So, to continue, I am repeating my question and will explain why I am asking.

To learn first hand, the relative advantages/disadvantages of DC and Marklin AC, I created one oval (circuit, course) of each. They are of course, completely separate from each other.

In my HO KATO track DC with 3 pairs of turnouts (points) for 3 platforms, the KATO turnouts are power-routing,
and so I can choose to run any one of the three trains at a time while the other two stand still.
But in my separate Marklin K track oval with a pair of turnouts for two platforms, no matter which way I set the points (turnouts), both trains will run!

So, how can I make my Marklin K-track turnouts power-routing so that only one of the lines will run?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 July 2023 14:42:59(UTC)
H0

Märklin turnouts provide power in all directions. Due to the symmetric Märklin system, there is no problem doing so, no trouble with turnout frogs.

You can insert centre-rail insulators at both sides of the sidings. Then use a switch box or relay to turn power on or off as needed.

Or operate locos digitally and have power on all sidings.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2023 15:00:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

You can insert centre-rail insulators at both sides of the sidings. Then use a switch box or relay to turn power on or off as needed.

In addition to what Tom (H0) wrote, historically Marklin used signals to turn the power off once the centre studs are isolated. The signals have two switches in them, one for switching the centre rail, and one for switching the overhead when running electric locomotives powered through pantographs.

[edit]
You will find the needed details in this dowloadable signal manual.
[/edit]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Yoginath  
#4 Posted : 06 July 2023 15:20:13(UTC)
Yoginath

United States   
by 'switch box or relay', you mean a separate power pack (trafo)?
Am not familiar with the use of a relay. Is it something I can make myself or buy? How will it power the isolated segment of track?
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 06 July 2023 15:26:12(UTC)
H0

The Märklin term is control box.
The 72730, 72740, and similar boxes will do. Or a signal that also controls track power. Or a simple on/off switch from an electronics market.

https://www.maerklin.de/..._torrpdb_pi1%5Blang%5D=2
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2023 15:37:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Yogi
Obviously you come from a 2 rail culture where there is an obligation to stop trains to prevent them from shorting a switch not set for them.

In the 3 rail Märklin culture, things are very different:
- trains can run into switches not made for them without any inconvenience (short circuit , etc)
- trains can run on independent directions on the very same track (because of the internal direction relay or decoder)
- you may have ANY circuit figure w/o any issue (reversing loop, reversing triangle switch, etc).
- when using, the historic M track, any paper will allow to create an isulated section (for signal stop)
- some special contact tracks give you a different impulse depending on the direction.

So, with all this fun, the price to pay is, there is no power-routing swiches (but you can make one using a relay or a larger Reed contact (depending on the type of track you are using (C, M, K)

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Yoginath  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2023 16:32:27(UTC)
Yoginath

United States   
Boy, this is a bit to digest for me, a relative newbie!
Now, must put it into action. Need to a) buy centre-rail isolaters, one pair,
b) and see what the relay is, whether I alreay have one or ust get one,
c) I have a spare trafo which I could hook up to the isolated track .. this means that when I want to run the 2nd train on the isolated section, must turn the second trafo on. Easy enough.
Thank you for the prompt replies.BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Yoginath
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 06 July 2023 18:32:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Yoginath Go to Quoted Post
Boy, this is a bit to digest for me, a relative newbie!
Now, must put it into action. Need to a) buy centre-rail isolaters, one pair,

Use a piece of paper or thin card, you don't need to purchase anything.

Originally Posted by: Yoginath Go to Quoted Post

b) and see what the relay is, whether I alreay have one or ust get one,
c) I have a spare trafo which I could hook up to the isolated track .. this means that when I want to run the 2nd train on the isolated section, must turn the second trafo on. Easy enough.
Thank you for the prompt replies.BigGrin

There is a 'gotcha' to using more than one transformer, I'm not sure of the signal Manual I pointed you at above contains the details, but the Maerklin Miniature Railway Handbook certainly does. I thought we had a copy linked from the forum, or uploaded by someone, but it is not linked from https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ns---requested-documents

[edit]
The Marklin Miniature Railway Handbook can be downloaded from here. You will find a lot of essential information about how the items you have work in it.
[/edit]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan