Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline swisslocofan  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2023 04:16:19(UTC)
swisslocofan

United States   
Hello
I just installed a 3-way turnout with a wire length of about 3m between m83 and the turnout. Of all my 50 turnouts this 3-way turnout is the only turnout this far from the m83. I noticed that the switching (both motors) is quite soft. It works but it just feels that the motors are not as “strong” as the other switching motors.
Anyone has experience with wire distance having an effect on the switching? I am using standard Marklin wires.
Thank you.
tom
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2023 10:24:41(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Just use thicker wires!
-And try to use only good copper-wire for that...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2023 12:25:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You could use a decoder under the turnout and forget about the wire. Works well with my C track 3 way turnout.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline BenP  
#4 Posted : 27 May 2023 13:13:37(UTC)
BenP

United States   
M, K or C? 3m is a long distance for 5 thin wires. Get an inexpensive k83 and place below the switch. Use thicker wire to power the decoder.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 27 May 2023 14:26:27(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
My M83 turnout wires are way longer. I used 22 amd 24 gague agv wire and have no problems. I thought the newer 3-way crossing comes with a built in decoder.
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 27 May 2023 14:38:21(UTC)
Goofy

It’s all matter about power consumption by feed ampere out from the m83. I have no problem by feed my turnout motor analog ac or dc. I use 0,25 mm square. No problem with 2-3 metres distance.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 27 May 2023 15:12:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Switch decoders were never meant to be 3 m away from switches.
Better is to have those (switch decoders) distributed under the layout.
The reason is there is some energy storage in the 60832 to deliver a short and powerful command to sw motors.
The plug in of 60832 in one row is non-sensical.
The equivalent form of poor design is to have sensors (60881,..) in close proximity with long wires to the contact rails.
You obtain increased cost (more wire), increased vulnerability to RF noise and inducted noise, messier layout wiring.
Just my opinion.
Cheers
Jean
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 27 May 2023 15:45:17(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Whichever workd of course. Note that my M83's (2) are very close to the CS3 and track current, and coupled together. I don't know if that makes any difference.
Two turnouts are nearly 12 feet away.
Offline swisslocofan  
#9 Posted : 27 May 2023 17:38:12(UTC)
swisslocofan

United States   
Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated.
While I understand possible inductive disturbance due to the long wires (no issue with resistance thanks to the proper wire gauge), I think the problem is that I may have received a batch of bad motors. I actually have 60 switch motors in total and usually every 4th motor I buy, I end up returning/replacing. Marklin's quality problems have definitely gotten worse over the past few years. So I will try two new replacement motors first. My dealer is very good about replacements as I am a very good customer :-)

A separate issue: 3-ways are tricky (I use them for space savings instead of two regular turnouts) as some locos (even the latest generation) derail - typically only if entering from a specific direction into a specific turn, either left or right); it has to do with some of the sliders that get lifted up by the specific design of the 3-way. Examples are Seetal and Crocodile.

Cheers

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by swisslocofan
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 27 May 2023 18:28:16(UTC)
Goofy

Märklins magnetic motor are porr and uses with ac power as feeder.
Peco do also have magnetic motor but they draw a hell lot of power, at least about 1,3 Amp!!
M83 can only handle maximum up to 1,0 Amp output (Märklin recommended no overload).
I use Tortoise motor and they works very well at 0,02 Amp current.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 27 May 2023 19:04:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: swisslocofan Go to Quoted Post

While I understand possible inductive disturbance due to the long wires (no issue with resistance thanks to the proper wire gauge), I think the problem is that I may have received a batch of bad motors. I actually have 60 switch motors in total and usually every 4th motor I buy, I end up returning/replacing. Marklin's quality problems have definitely gotten worse over the past few years. So I will try two new replacement motors first. My dealer is very good about replacements as I am a very good customer :-)

A separate issue: 3-ways are tricky (I use them for space savings instead of two regular turnouts) as some locos (even the latest generation) derail - typically only if entering from a specific direction into a specific turn, either left or right); it has to do with some of the sliders that get lifted up by the specific design of the 3-way. Examples are Seetal and Crocodile.

Hi
Regarding Switch motor, a book could be written on it. It is untrue to write the quality gotten worse. No. What is aggravating is that those end switches in motors are causing a big problem JUST for the sake of compatibility with analog operation. In digital, they are excellent IF you disable those switches. Of course doing this, you lose any Warranty possibility but IMO it is wort it because often, replacing those motors means a lot of efforts (landscape removal, difficulties on switches located in shadow station). My layout has approx 70 of these switch motors (74491) all micro switches are bridged (short circuited) and being operated by Rocrail, they are used a lot without any failures now.

Tortoise motors and similar are OK but huge and noisy and non-compatible with multi level layouts

Regarding 3-ways switches (Märklin C-Track)
- I have 9 of them, used by many convoys and sliders (I have no experience with non-Märklin sliders and locos)
- they are also excellent but to be fair, I had a problem with a brand new Märklin loco and it turned out to be the slider.
- sometimes, intermittent shorts may be caused (It happened to me once) by the close proximity between a near-by stud and some non insulated axles. In this case, it is easy to correct, using a heath-shrink tube ( mm diameter or so) as a sock to prevent any wheel to touch the stud.

For the fun, here is a heavy used 3'way switch on my layout

Cheers
Jean
Offline vmsysprog  
#12 Posted : 27 May 2023 23:10:55(UTC)
vmsysprog

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
My M83 turnout wires are way longer. I used 22 amd 24 gague agv wire and have no problems. I thought the newer 3-way crossing comes with a built in decoder.

I just bought a new three way switch within the last two weeks. It did not come with a decoder. I purchased the decoder and two switch motors. For the 3 way, i would recommend using the decoder vs. the m83. The decoder has built in logic to throw the switches in the right sequence. For example: I’m using the left leg (orientation: the single track is closest to me, the 3 track end is farthest away) of the switch. I decide I want to go down the right leg. The decoder will throw both switches to align the track properly.
(Caveat: maybe the m83 can do this, I don’t know, I don’t have one. The few vids I’ve watched regarding the m83 don’t indicate that it can.)

Steve
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by vmsysprog