Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Arnstein  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2023 11:00:30(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
I have a c-track layout with

* 12 turnouts with the 74491 turnout mechanism and the 74462 digital decoder, addresses sett in the range 1 – 13, fx(mm) format
* m83 decoder operating 2 uncoupler tracks, address set to 17
* Mobile Station with 60116 digital connecter box and 66361 power pack
* Central Station CS3+ with 60041 power pack
* Power distributed in a star layout to multiple parts of the layout
* Both CS3+ and the MS updated with the latest SW

When I built up my up my Christmas layout, connected the CS3+, updated the SW, and then testing, I was not able to operate 5 of the turnouts (all operated last year).

I tested the turnouts not operating with a single track connected to the MS – all operated with the address given.

Put all the turnouts back in the layout – still not able to operate them with the CS3+. Disconnecting the CS3+ including the power supply, and the connecting the MS with its power supply, all turnouts operate as expected.

I have also "reset" the CS3+, did not solve the problem.

Any suggestions?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Arnstein
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2023 11:20:15(UTC)
H0

Some turnout decoders do not work when the red and brown wires have been swapped.
Red goes to B or centre rail, brown goes to 0 or outer rail.

Maybe these five decoders require a particular polarity and maybe polarity is reversed with the MS2 vs CS3.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2023 23:49:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
if they work with the MS then the turnouts should be OK. Did you delete them from the Cs3 then ask for them to be found again.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Arnstein  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2023 11:27:39(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
First of all – thank you for your suggestions.

Some updates after a lot of testing yesterday:
• I tested one of the non-operating turnouts – connected the CS3 to a single track – it operated as expected
• I split may layout in 2; and was able to operate the previous non-operation turnouts most of the times:
• The 1st half of the layout operated finally after a lot of testing, but when retested after a while, still problem with one turnout. This turnout I tested separately connecting the CS3 to a single track – it operates as expected; but not when put back in the layout
• The 2nd half of the layout operated as expected when testing the turnouts. Put on a BR 81, I experienced problems switching the turnout when the train was nearby; the started also to flicker after a while

I checked all wiring, both under the tracks, and the distribution – found that some of the flat sleeve connectors did not fit tight to the track – adjusted them, but still the same problems.

I also monitored the track current with the CS3 – one of the halves had almost 0,5A power consumption in idle state. I understand that this is way too high, so I connected the CS3 to a single track, now I had 0,3A; which I understand is at least 10x to high.

Removed the track connection plug from the CS3, still 0,3A power consumption. Something with my CS3 – HW or SW?

My track layout is around 20m, power distributed before and after all turnouts, together to other parts of the layout. Is it recommended to add a booster (60175 + 60041)?
Online marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2023 13:07:44(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hi, twenty meters is approximately 65 feet. My layout track total is about 46 feet. If mine were as long and I were experiencing what you are, I would add a booster. Is your CS3 relatively new, and or updated? Have you tried an additional power feed to the section of where the inoperative turnouts are? Just my thoughts.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2023 13:21:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Looks like not enough power to the layout. Booster may be needed. Try taking everythinrg that uses power off the layout and see if all the turnouts are working.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline hxmiesa  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2023 14:46:35(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Track length has nothing to do with power consumption. You can run kilometers of track with a single MS2. Just add more feeder-cables, and use thicker wires for longer stretches.
The consumption of power has to do with number of locos running, lights and other power-consumers.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:01:54(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Arnstein Go to Quoted Post

• I tested one of the non-operating turnouts – connected the CS3 to a single track – it operated as expected
• I split may layout in 2; and was able to operate the previous non-operation turnouts most of the times:
• The 1st half of the layout operated finally after a lot of testing, but when retested after a while, still problem with one turnout. This turnout I tested separately connecting the CS3 to a single track – it operates as expected; but not when put back in the layout
• The 2nd half of the layout operated as expected when testing the turnouts. Put on a BR 81, I experienced problems switching the turnout when the train was nearby; the started also to flicker after a while

I checked all wiring, both under the tracks, and the distribution – found that some of the flat sleeve connectors did not fit tight to the track – adjusted them, but still the same problems.

I also monitored the track current with the CS3 – one of the halves had almost 0,5A power consumption in idle state. I understand that this is way too high, so I connected the CS3 to a single track, now I had 0,3A; which I understand is at least 10x to high.

Removed the track connection plug from the CS3, still 0,3A power consumption. Something with my CS3 – HW or SW?

My track layout is around 20m, power distributed before and after all turnouts, together to other parts of the layout. Is it recommended to add a booster (60175 + 60041)?

Hi Arnstein
The track does not draw any current in itself (only switch decoders and lanterns do).
Seems to me, 0,3 A for a limited number of switch decoders (and no loco, no train?) is very high unless, of course if you use M track and bulbs in lanterns. By comparison, my layout, with 50 points with lanterns, 26 sound MFX trains and more than 30 lighted vehicles needs 2.7 A and 3.3 A when all is moving.

Not sure it is your case, but built-in switch decoders are just great for "Teppichbahning" but disastrous for a permanent layout.
To power a couple Decoder + Switch motor trough many track contacts is bad and lead to non-frank commuting of switches

Yes spade connectors are very convenient but you quickly understand that plugging such a connector in one orientation and then the other means one orientation gives flimsy contacts so you may have the "tighten" the connector for better contact and always plug them with the same orientation - the open lips of the female connector are always facing down in my case.

Just my 2 cents
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Online marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:09:23(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I should have noted prior that my turnouts do not have individual decoders. Operated by two M 83s fed from track power close to the CS3. Long wiring to two turnouts. Are we in agreement or certain that with individual turnout decoders that the track current is enough for any track distance and doesn't affect this?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Arnstein  
#10 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:30:16(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Some turnout decoders do not work when the red and brown wires have been swapped.
Red goes to B or centre rail, brown goes to 0 or outer rail.

Maybe these five decoders require a particular polarity and maybe polarity is reversed with the MS2 vs CS3.

I have verified the polarity and everything is OK
Offline Arnstein  
#11 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:34:32(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, twenty meters is approximately 65 feet. My layout track total is about 46 feet. If mine were as long and I were experiencing what you are, I would add a booster. Is your CS3 relatively new, and or updated? Have you tried an additional power feed to the section of where the inoperative turnouts are? Just my thoughts.

My CS3 is 1 year old with the latest SW. All tests performed with only tracs and turnouts - no lights etc. I have a lot of power feeds on the track, including feeds on both sides of the turnouts.
Offline Arnstein  
#12 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:36:07(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
if they work with the MS then the turnouts should be OK. Did you delete them from the Cs3 then ask for them to be found again.

I reinstalled my CS3, and added the turnouts again - same result...
Offline Arnstein  
#13 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:38:01(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Looks like not enough power to the layout. Booster may be needed. Try taking everythinrg that uses power off the layout and see if all the turnouts are working.

Booster is ordered - just in case. All test performed with tracks and turnouts only.
Offline Arnstein  
#14 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:44:10(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Track length has nothing to do with power consumption. You can run kilometers of track with a single MS2. Just add more feeder-cables, and use thicker wires for longer stretches.
The consumption of power has to do with number of locos running, lights and other power-consumers.

What is strange is that I have no problems operation the turnouts with the MS - whish has a smaller power supply than the CS3. I have 1,5mm2 cables for the distribution, and 0,75mm2 to the tracks
Offline Arnstein  
#15 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:59:32(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Hi Arnstein
The track does not draw any current in itself (only switch decoders and lanterns do).
Seems to me, 0,3 A for a limited number of switch decoders (and no loco, no train?) is very high unless, of course if you use M track and bulbs in lanterns. By comparison, my layout, with 50 points with lanterns, 26 sound MFX trains and more than 30 lighted vehicles needs 2.7 A and 3.3 A when all is moving.

Not sure it is your case, but built-in switch decoders are just great for "Teppichbahning" but disastrous for a permanent layout.
To power a couple Decoder + Switch motor trough many track contacts is bad and lead to non-frank commuting of switches

Yes spade connectors are very convenient but you quickly understand that plugging such a connector in one orientation and then the other means one orientation gives flimsy contacts so you may have the "tighten" the connector for better contact and always plug them with the same orientation - the open lips of the female connector are always facing down in my case.

Just my 2 cents
Cheers
Jean

Hello Jean

Only C-tracks and turnouts when testing - nothing lanterns etc. What was strange was the CS3 displays 0,3A power consumption with no track connected....

My layout is temporary - built it up for Christmas. I have power feed on both sides of all turnouts. Instead of a decoder in the turnout - is the use of the m83 a more robust alternative?

My flat sleeve connectors are all facing down, and I have "tighten" those who were easy to remove.
Offline Arnstein  
#16 Posted : 13 December 2023 16:02:42(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I should have noted prior that my turnouts do not have individual decoders. Operated by two M 83s fed from track power close to the CS3. Long wiring to two turnouts. Are we in agreement or certain that with individual turnout decoders that the track current is enough for any track distance and doesn't affect this?

I have power feed on each side of the turnouts, and are using 1,5mm2 cable for the distribution, and 0,75mm2 cable to the tracks
Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 13 December 2023 19:31:36(UTC)
Goofy

* 12 turnouts with the 74491 turnout mechanism and the 74462 digital decoder, addresses sett in the range 1 – 13, fx(mm) format

When I built up my up my Christmas layout, connected the CS3+, updated the SW, and then testing, I was not able to operate 5 of the turnouts (all operated last year).

I tested the turnouts not operating with a single track connected to the MS – all operated with the address given.

Put all the turnouts back in the layout – still not able to operate them with the CS3+. Disconnecting the CS3+ including the power supply, and the connecting the MS with its power supply, all turnouts operate as expected.

Any suggestions?

What adresses did 5 turnouts had?
It is possible that after upgrade CS3 did failed turnouts adress?
Try to disable all turnouts in the CS3 and shut the power off to the CS3.
Wait about 2 minutes and switch the power on again for the CS3.
Add turnouts back with the same adress.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline rhfil  
#18 Posted : 14 December 2023 00:26:44(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Are the switch decoders the new mfx ones or older?
Offline Arnstein  
#19 Posted : 15 December 2023 09:58:59(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Any suggestions?

What adresses did 5 turnouts had?
It is possible that after upgrade CS3 did failed turnouts adress?
Try to disable all turnouts in the CS3 and shut the power off to the CS3.
Wait about 2 minutes and switch the power on again for the CS3.
Add turnouts back with the same adress.

The turnouts that I can't operate inn the complete layout with the CS3 have adresses 1, 2, 3, 8 and 13. I have disabled and added them 3 times, same result. Did some more testing last night, split the layout in 2 - the CS3 is able to operate all turnouts in each halves; but not when a complete layout. The MS operates all turnouts in the complete layout.
Offline Arnstein  
#20 Posted : 15 December 2023 10:02:26(UTC)
Arnstein

Norway   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Are the switch decoders the new mfx ones or older?

They are the new version with the DIP-switches facing down. I have set the addresses on each turnout with the DIP-switches - understand that this also could be done automatically with mfx?
Offline rhfil  
#21 Posted : 15 December 2023 11:30:43(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Unless you specify otherwise the CS3 will assign addresses to mfx switches so I thought it might have done that resulting in addresses that do not match the dip switch setting but it appears from your experiment that when the size if the layout is reduced everything works correctly.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rhfil