Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2021 23:32:37(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I'm not sure if I had asked this question before or not, but here goes. I watch model railroad videos, especially those of European railroads because they use catenary more than we here in the U.S. do. I see layouts with extensive catenary arrays, but they are running their electrics with the pantographs down, meaning they are not using the cat wire for power pickup. Is there a reason for this? I thought it may be because of DCC that would render catenary not needed any longer. Sorry if I asked this before.

I did ask this question before, See next reply.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline Mr. Ron  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2021 23:57:21(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I discovered a post by River 6109 that answered all my concerns. i realize it can be difficult to add catenary especially on gauges less than O gauge. There is limited space to work with between the track and overhead wire, especially so with N gauge. But! Catenary does add an extra measure of authenticity and more positive control. I am building my Marklin layout and want to include catenary, but I want it to be operational, not dummy. Seeing as commercial catenary components are expensive, I'm making my own using brass rods and code 70 rail respectively for my masts and overhead contact. I guess the only reason why I asked this question was to get any negative reasons for not using catenary.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline PJMärklin  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2021 06:38:06(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure if I had asked this question before or not, but here goes. I watch model railroad videos, especially those of European railroads because they use catenary more than we here in the U.S. do. I see layouts with extensive catenary arrays, but they are running their electrics with the pantographs down, meaning they are not using the cat wire for power pickup. Is there a reason for this? ...

Hello Ronald and a Merry Christmas to you,BigGrin

Yes this has been discussed before, but don’t be discouraged from asking questions.Smile

The answer is not at all specific and indeed extraordinarily eclectic.

Some folk on our group are passionate vintage Märklineers and model in analogue with the original bent-to-the curves Märklin catenary. I understand, respect and appreciate their pursuit of the original vintage and admire it. They can run their analogue locos powered from the track (pukos) or from the overhead (where they have the added joy of seeing the electric sparks from the pantograph-running wire contacts and also of inhaling the wonderful ozone) thus doubling the number of (electric pantograph) locos immediately controllable on a particular track power section. Cool

In the digital world most power their locos (including the electrics) from the track. This may be because early in the digital era Märklin declared that the digital signal was more reliable from the track than the overhead wire. However, our much-esteemed member from Perth, Western Australia, river6109, has conclusively shown on his very large layout that you can run many digital locos off the overhead wire without any problems.

Some folk run their digital electrics off the track because they have a mode of scenery wherbye they have all the masts and equipment etc to display the overhead catenary – all except the actual catenary wireOhMyGod . From what I have perceived of their interesting posts, this seems because they feel that even the thinnest model catenary wires currently made (e.g. by Sommerfeldt) are still much thicker in relative perspective ("scale") than the prototype. Some of these folk run their electric locos without the overhead wire but with their pantographs up. We should note that there are a number of extremely large commercial layouts in Europe that do the same – run their electrics with some pantograph elevation but with no actual running wire to the catenary, whilst having all the associated overhead-power paraphernalia.

Another group of folk have the full catenary wire but run their electric locos with the pantographs down or not fully raised (i.e. just short in height of contacting the running wire). My understanding is that they do this to avoid either wear of the pantograph, or of greater concern, prangs to raised pantographs exposed to unintentional obstruction and other hazards.

My opinion is but a drop in the bucket of our groups’ overall wealth of experience; I have full catenary (Sommerfeldt) and a digital layout but tend to run my electic locos powered from the track pukos with pantographs down to avoid the occasional (but expensive) prangLaugh – but fully up for forum photos and video, however !Blushing .
This is because I have only one electric loco that remains analogue and not converted to digital (a beautiful old 3015) because I felt it sacrilegious to convert it to digital - so I run this loco as analogue using the overhead wire on my digital layout with a common "earth/ground/negative" via the outer rails.
Just my opinion, as I noted there is a wide variety of point of view on this wonderful group forum.BigGrin

PJ
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2021 08:21:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've noticed 99% of model layouts have catenary but as mentioned with the pantograph down., it can be a bit costly when you ruin a pantograph but for me its a learning curve and by that I mean you adjust your wires so it will not happen again., it doesn't take long to errect the proper catenary (Sommerfeldt or other recongnized manufacturers) and you will have the enjoyment of saying: "I've done it", as menationed in my previous posts running electrics from the overhead system gives me most the time 1 more axle which a.) I can add another axle with rubber tyres, b.) another powered axle or 2., however lately manufacturers have altered the composition of materials from metal to plastic, protoypical pantographs but Märklin has kept pantographs sturdy so they can be operated via the overhead system or just have their pantographs up.
for me it is sad to see pantographs being made out of plastic and very flimsy and yes it leads to ruined pantographs but this is not the end of the road, for me anyhow, replacing them with a better product doesn't cost an arm and a leg., I save money on other projects or when I buy a loco or 2, so the cost of a new pantograph is not the end of the world, although we live on the end of the world and getting things posted to Western Australia takes time.

John

Edited by user 26 December 2021 17:10:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 26 December 2021 12:53:17(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Ronald,

Good questions.
Like Philip (PJMärklin) said, there are many valid approaches to using/pretending catenary.

I encourage anyone with time and patience to erect catenary, because as you say it lends a certain authenticity.
Thankfully with Märklin engines the pantographs are very robust, and with my occasional accidental hook-up between catenary and engine the pantograph always survives.
Sometimes with a little bit of re-assembly.

The hook-up does not happen often if you follow the manufacturers catenary erection instructions faithfully.
By the way I use Märklin catenary (latest productions) suited to C track.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 26 December 2021 17:17:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Another issue is getting used to the overheadsystem as it restricts your access to the track considerable, taken trains or locos off the track can also be difficult, all in all we've got used to it and after a while your brain adjust itself, yes there is an overhead wire., wires don't get damaged but getting trains off the track or remove them from the track isn't that simple any more., also cleaning tracks is more difficult but on our layout there is very little dirt or grime on the track and yes it would take more time to clean them but I reckon it would take a lot of dirt and grime to stop a train.

John
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline 1borna  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2021 19:51:32(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
And I have already written about the use of pantographs and contact networks, with small layouts that we use occasionally, it is not difficult to control driving with raised pantographs. On large layouts (especially those for visitors) this is almost impossible and that is why they mostly drive with the pantographs lowered or even better fixed imperceptibly under the net. As locomotives cover long distances on these layouts, the upper part of the pantograph would be cut regardless of the polygonal guidance.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 27 December 2021 00:14:39(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Another issue is getting used to the overheadsystem as it restricts your access to the track considerable, taken trains or locos off the track can also be difficult,....

John

Hi John,
absolutely.
Track cleaning and removal of stock is certainly more difficult even on my small layout.
But as you say you get used to it.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 27 December 2021 10:51:39(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I use the 'old' Marklin catenary on M track, it is all analogue with bent wires going round corners, posts leaning on gradients etc etc. I'm nevertheless quite content.

Things go wrong when catenary gets tangled in clothing. More than once I have lifted an arm away and caused all sorts of mayhem to catenary and the track to which it is clipped by getting a sleeve caught on something.

But is still very satisfying and adjusting coach lighting while the train is in motion is an added feature.

There are all sorts of other tricks to consider. For example one can dispense with the services of the reversing switch in the loco by wiring the loco so that it goes in one direction on catenary power and the other way via track power.

Why bother?

Because I can!

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 27 December 2021 16:37:44(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I'm not sure if I had asked this question before or not, but here goes. I watch model railroad videos, especially those of European railroads because they use catenary more than we here in the U.S. do. I see layouts with extensive catenary arrays, but they are running their electrics with the pantographs down, meaning they are not using the cat wire for power pickup. Is there a reason for this? I thought it may be because of DCC that would render catenary not needed any longer. Sorry if I asked this before.

I did ask this question before, See next reply.

Hi Ron
This is exactly my case: not using the catenary for pick-up and having the electrics with a down pantograph.

Why not using the catenary? Because with digital, it has only drawbacks (digital quality of power feed through a pantograph is much lower, leading to ignored commands. Another reason, it adds noise to the operation while the only noise we want to hear is the prototype's real noise and not a wire scratching. Another reason is to be able to control other types of locos (Diesels, Steamers)

Why not having the electric with the pantographs UP? Because they wear rapidly and because each loco has a specific pantograph. Because you have periodic accidents with the catenary Pantograph getting stuck and torn off. Some modellists modify the pantograph so they are half up but not touching the catenary.

Just the opinion of an European modeller from France

Of course, in analogue operation, the catenary allows to operate 2 locos independently on the same trck but with significant additional wiring.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Crazy Harry  
#11 Posted : 27 December 2021 21:27:01(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Catenary installation is expensive and fiddly along with the drawbacks of accessing the tracks and getting clothing caught on it or the masts. But it does look impressive! There are travel limiters for the pantographs so that they are raised but are just below the catenary - this avoids catenary accidents and noise and still gives some realism to the movement of the electric locomotives.

Harold.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline Copenhagen  
#12 Posted : 28 December 2021 11:10:53(UTC)
Copenhagen

I mostly have diesel and steam locomotives and I don't want a too modern looking environment on my layout (in my country electric trains - apart from S-bahn in Copenhagen - didn't really became a thing until a small stretch in the 80's and much later elsewhere). But I have aquired a few modern, electric locomotives that can run some modern cargo and passenger trains. I think it looks fine without catenary and I wouldn't want the hassle and looks of catenary all over the layout.
I fully respect people who want catenary of course.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline TrainIride  
#13 Posted : 28 December 2021 12:12:56(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
The main thing is to have fun watching your trains running !

Everyone has their own rules about it.

For me, who runs very old models most often, the old low priced and reliable catenary is perfect (the catenary is powered in analog mode).
I have a few digital models now (track powered) without any problem to run with the pantograph raised up (catenary not powered).
All the layout is covered with catenary, more than 100 masts, so more than 100 catenary parts even in all tunnels without a problem.

Marklin_3022_catenary.jpg

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline PJMärklin  
#14 Posted : 28 December 2021 12:21:31(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post

ThumpUp
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 28 December 2021 14:27:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Crazy Harry Go to Quoted Post
Catenary installation is expensive and fiddly along with the drawbacks of accessing the tracks and getting clothing caught on it or the masts. But it does look impressive! There are travel limiters for the pantographs so that they are raised but are just below the catenary - this avoids catenary accidents and noise and still gives some realism to the movement of the electric locomotives.

Harold.

I haven't noticed any extra noise not with my catenary maybe the Märklin catenary with its wider(thicker) overheadwires creates a noise.

Catenary has far reaching applications and everyone has their own concept to use it or not to use it.

John

Edited by user 29 December 2021 15:00:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Mr. Ron  
#16 Posted : 28 December 2021 20:32:56(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I am fabricating my own catenary components as I cannot afford Sommerfeldt or Marklin parts. I use 3/32"(.794mm) brass wire for masts, 1/16" (1.588mm) brass wire for messengers and code 70 nickel silver rail for the contact wire. I made jigs so all the components come out the same. The code 70 rail is positioned with the rail head facing down, so rail joiners don't contact the pantograph. The ends of the masts are threaded to secure them through the layout base. The construction is pretty robust so I don't think I will have any trouble with them. At the moment, I'm finalizing my layout before erecting the catenary. I will be using catenary only on part of the layout where electrics will be run.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline jcrtrains  
#17 Posted : 28 December 2021 23:14:35(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
There are a lot of good points in this thread. My only suggestion is to add the catenary close to the end of the scenery cycle. If you are ballasting or weathering track, do the catenary after. While it sounds robust, constantly doing scenery and other elements around installed catenary typically leads to an accidental bump of something that creates catenary rework.

Edited by user 29 December 2021 15:51:59(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline michelvr  
#18 Posted : 29 December 2021 03:53:17(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post

ThumpUp

ThumpUp ThumpUp

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Mr. Ron  
#19 Posted : 29 December 2021 17:47:21(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
There are a lot of good points in this thread. My only suggestion is to add the catenary close to the end of the scenery cycle. If you are ballasting or weathering track, do the catenary after. While it sounds robust, constantly doing scenery and other elements around installed catenary typically leads to an accidental bump of something that creates catenary rework.

Thanks for the advice; sounds good.

Offline ccranium  
#20 Posted : 29 December 2021 23:28:43(UTC)
ccranium

"Greenberg's Model Railroading with Marklin HO" in paperback has an extensive section on homemade catenary. There are copies for sale on Amazon and likely on eBay.

I'm installing M-track catenary throughout on my analog M-track layout. Yes, it's fiddly, especially since I'm also using analog signals to control the puko and catenary block sections. I do a trial install, remove the bent and correct-length wires from the masts, secure tracks & masts, test tracks and turnouts using the pukos, then landscape the ground level with ballast/grass/"asphalt" paint/"concrete" paint, then reinstall wires. The final and most fiddly part is installing the darn 7503 feeder wires before installing the block sections' wires. Lots of satisfaction for my desires for the 70's vintage look layout, but certainly slows the build! Especially in the eyes of my 7-yo granddaughter!!!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ccranium
Offline Darren W  
#21 Posted : 31 December 2021 20:22:59(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Another approach now is to 3D print the catenary.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Darren W
Offline Mr. Ron  
#22 Posted : 06 January 2022 02:51:01(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I've watched a lot of model railroad videos, mainly of European layouts. The majority of them have a complete catenary system erected, but not being used. Why does a huge layout erect a complicated catenary system and then not use it? It takes a lot of planning, money and work to install a catenary system.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#23 Posted : 06 January 2022 03:43:04(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
because:
a) putting it up in hidden areas adds even more cost.. and hassle.
b) Catenary does not add anything to digital running beyond the visual aspect of it. It used to add the ability of adding additional analog control circuits.
c) maintaining running trains is enough of a task as it is without adding another layer of complexity for no functional advantage.

The reasons for doing it are similar to the reasons that we don't always interlock signals with turnouts, we typically don't insist of having track ahead of a stopping area clear of any train before bringing a train into a station, we don't electrify the Indusi magnets, etc. etc. The tradeoff between the effort and the visual result are just not worth it to most people.

Try it.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline jcrtrains  
#24 Posted : 06 January 2022 03:57:01(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
because:
a) putting it up in hidden areas adds even more cost.. and hassle.
b) Catenary does not add anything to digital running beyond the visual aspect of it. It used to add the ability of adding additional analog control circuits.
c) maintaining running trains is enough of a task as it is without adding another layer of complexity for no functional advantage.

The reasons for doing it are similar to the reasons that we don't always interlock signals with turnouts, we typically don't insist of having track ahead of a stopping area clear of any train before bringing a train into a station, we don't electrify the Indusi magnets, etc. etc. The tradeoff between the effort and the visual result are just not worth it to most people.

Try it.

Mine is purely visual. At one point, I was going to run off of it, but the risk of damage is too high. I actually have power into it, but do not use it.

I am very pleased with the visual aspect alone, in short it was worth it. However, have a look at Martin’s 3D print video, as that is a much cheaper approach than what I have done.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline marklinist5999  
#25 Posted : 06 January 2022 10:54:50(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It certainly adds realism! I haven't any. It isn't inexpensive either. I think if you don't add it in hidden areas, a pantograph can spring up higher, then catch the next wire hanger and cause a crash.
A dilemma for me would be installing it on a 5 metre double track bridge.
I haven't also ballasted the C track. I need to be able to lift a section up for connecting feeder wires.
Tunnels are tricky as well. I have a curved one on a corner, under a mountain. Because of the R 3 radii parallel double track for clearance of 303 mm coaches, it is unpritotypically high, and wide. Longer cars passing through can still rub and derail on occasion, thus I'm even more aprhensive.
I don't have room between the tracks for masts, and may only on the inside curve.
Perhaps it was poor planning n my part, but I wanted the Mountain for a television tower and cable car. When I install that, a castle is moving to the back inside corner.
It has been said in the past that an avid modeler builds three layouts in a lifetime. My current is my second. I don't know if there will be a third, but it is conceived.
I would eliminate the double 4x8' horse shoe and make it a large L. Having 12 feet in one parade route would give more space to ascend to a higher grade, and accommodate a hidden staging yard.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#26 Posted : 06 January 2022 14:37:49(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
or pick an era that predates electrics...
Dale
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline marklinist5999  
#27 Posted : 06 January 2022 14:58:56(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes Dale, but many of us like Electric Locs. and trains. Most of what I have, but I do have steam, diesel, and I mix era's anyhow.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline DaleSchultz  
#28 Posted : 06 January 2022 15:53:29(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yup me too, so I put up the catenary poles but no wires.
Dale
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline petestra  
#29 Posted : 06 January 2022 17:56:57(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I use the old style Maerklin Catenary. One can still find many pieces on ebay. I ,too, have a mix of the three Lok types with electrics being in the

majority. Some of the newer electrics have delicate pantographs and even though my catenary is well set up it's just safer to run these newer loks

with the pantos down. Regarding the masts, I have taken the base part off all masts that clip under the track so all my masts are screwed down. Yes,

I know some day they'll probably not be worth much for resale but I prefer this method as it makes the C/M tracks with less of a bump underneath

where the base would have been. A catenary system, I feel, really adds depth to the railway. Cheers. Peter. Cool
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by petestra