Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2021 21:49:21(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
The following sketch is for my catenary system. Everything is brass except for the rail which is code 70 rail. The catenary wire is made of 1/16" brass rod with a 1/16"ID brass tube on each end and a rail joiner on each end of the code 70 rail. Following the dimensions on the sketch will give you a 2-3/4" distance between the pantograph and the catenary wire. Dimensions may vary as long as you maintain the 2-3/4". All the pieces are soldered together using a resistance soldering transformer (not a regular soldering iron) That is so soldering a connection won't "un solder" previous connections.
Catenary.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2021 09:54:21(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Why??
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Mr. Ron  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2021 18:01:04(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Why! Because I can. It costs money to try to find all the necessary parts and then no guarantee they will work.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline scraigen  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2021 18:12:01(UTC)
scraigen

One might ask why about the hobby in general? For me making stuff is a big part of it as I presume is the case here too.
Must build something
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline Darren W  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2021 20:34:57(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I have thought about doing something similar with 3D printing. I have a resin printer so I could print several masts at the same time. Please post pictures I would really like to see how your catenary wire turns out.
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2021 21:51:33(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
Why! Because I can. It costs money to try to find all the necessary parts and then no guarantee they will work.

Ok, fair enough. I was thinking by the time you bought all the materials and did the work…… but each to their own ThumpUp

Offline Mr. Ron  
#7 Posted : 14 July 2021 04:50:13(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post

Ok, fair enough. I was thinking by the time you bought all the materials and did the work…… but each to their own ThumpUp

I used code 70 rail, 1/16", 3/32" brass rod and code 70 rail joiners and 1/13" ID brass tubing. The material cost is a lot less than buying ready made poles and catenary wires. All told, I think I came in at around $35. I should be able to get 20 poles and enough cat wire to cover about 24 feet. BTW, I used the code 70 rail upside down so the pantograph makes contact with the rail head. With the rail joiner, a nice smooth contact is made. I'm not sure if I will solder the joiners. I will see how continuity is; same with the tubing. I still have to design and make some structure for spanning 2,3 and 4 tracks.

Offline Mr. Ron  
#8 Posted : 14 July 2021 05:01:47(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: Darren W Go to Quoted Post
I have thought about doing something similar with 3D printing. I have a resin printer so I could print several masts at the same time. Please post pictures I would really like to see how your catenary wire turns out.

I have made one 14" length of catenary and it turned out so-so. I need to make a jig to hold everything in alignment while I solder it. Jigs are absolutely essential for repetitive work. Time spent making a good jig is time well spent.
I'm having health problems (my wife's), so I can't devote as much time as I would like. Traditionally, I work slow as I am not in any hurry. I find the thinking, planning and actual making is satisfying, but I will try to post some pictures after I figure out how to post them. I went from an XP computer to a windows 10 and am still trying to figure it out.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron