Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2017 05:15:34(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, over many years I have been constructing an overhead system and over many years have improved how it can be done, living in an area, the last place on earth, it wasn't easy to get around to figure out how it should be done as Perth (Western Australia) didn't have an electrified rail net work, I'm still not 100 % sure which wire goes over or under when two wires meet at a turnout or double turnout but otherwise I've figured it out what's what.
in the beginning I used to buy already made up wires but these days I just bay the bare wire and construct the system myself, again more work involved in it and a lot more time to do it.
first one starts with the masts and figure out where they should be placed (with 2 guidance plates), when you're happy with the location you can start with the bottom wire secure it on one solid end, work your way up the track and secure it on the other end, by soldering more wires together, I do this by slightly bending each end up, you know have a established a rigid bottom wire, make sure the pantographs are within the limits of the wire. than the top wire which you guide through the sling hole of the mast itself,

the next step is measuring the wire from mast to mast and than place an upright wire in the middle and work your uprights towards each mast considering the same distance of the uprights should be on either side of the mast. my latest innovation has been I bend the uprights at the end over this gives a more secure soldering point on the bottom wire and to some extend you'll find this on the prototypical system as well. the height or length of the middle upright wire give you the termination how far away the top wire should be and you work your way along and place all other uprights and solder them as well. by the time you've soldered the middle upright the top wire will automatically shape itself from the mast position to the middle position of the wire.
each mast has a long and short outrigger and this determends that the wire moves between 2 masts from left to right on the pantograph(s). in a double track curved situation it always be the longer outrigger on the in side track and the short outrigger on the outside track, this is necessary because of the tension the wire is under.
in the end I clean up the solder joints.

this is pretty much all you have to do.

John

construction (2).JPG

construction (1).JPG

construction (5).JPG

construction (4).JPG

construction (7).JPG

construction 1.JPG

construction (6).JPG

construction (3).JPG

construction (10).JPG

construction (11).JPG

construction (14).JPG

construction (13).JPG

construction (15).JPG

construction (16).JPG

construction.JPG

construction (17).JPG

construction (12).JPG

Edited by user 08 March 2017 16:45:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2017 17:53:37(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline jcrtrains  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2017 01:28:04(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
John;

Thank you this post. Can I ask how long it took you to become proficient in soldering? Also, what kind of soldering machine are you using?

Thanks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2017 01:32:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post

Dale thanks for that, when I construct my overhead system the lower wire (500mm) is continuously soldered to next one therefore the end of the wire could be anywhere between 2 masts. although one can buy different length wires from Sommerfeldt (ready made up) which would suit your construction

John

Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 09 March 2017 01:41:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
John;

Thank you this post. Can I ask how long it took you to become proficient in soldering? Also, what kind of soldering machine are you using?

Thanks

with the pictures you've seen I'm not happy with the soldering results, I used an ordinary soldering iron but will use my other soldering iron in future and you will notice the difference. the one I use all the time is a 100 watt soldering iron and it has a double tweezer tips and I've just ordered another pair of tips with a 2mm width, they are usually used for smd led's but come in handy soldering wires together which makes it much more tidy, I also use a paste (non corrosive) and the same with the solder its led free.

there is no secret or special talent to do what I do, is just using the correct tools or tools which are suitable for the job you would like to get done.

the next pictures I will [post you will see the difference

T2460.jpg

T2461.jpg
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 09 March 2017 04:12:47(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

Dale thanks for that, when I construct my overhead system the lower wire (500mm) is continuously soldered to next one therefore the end of the wire could be anywhere between 2 masts. although one can buy different length wires from Sommerfeldt (ready made up) which would suit your construction

John

Are you describing a problem? I don't see how the length of the wire is an issue, even if soldered to be continuous. It is the length of the arms on the catenary posts, and the spacing between them on curves that determines if the catenary is within the required space.
Dale
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2017 16:21:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post

John

Are you describing a problem? I don't see how the length of the wire is an issue, even if soldered to be continuous. It is the length of the arms on the catenary posts, and the spacing between them on curves that determines if the catenary is within the required space.

Dale, the guide I'm using (Sommerfeldt) is for determine the distance where the mast (4 distances, all the depends which mast you using) is fixed to the board than you've got holes which determine the distance from one mast to another and when you stand the guide up you can determine where the outrigger is placed or the arm if you don't use an outrigger., so I don't have a problem with how I construct the overhead system with the guide I'm using.

John

Offline Tom Jessop  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2017 20:56:38(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
I have just been looking at a brochure from a wholesale tool company & they have special on MIG welder wire with a 0.9mm size, looks to be copper plated . Would this be suitable for the lower catenary contact wire with the upper wire soldered to hangers / droppers which are then soldered to the contact wire . This would then give a continuous wire without joins for the running lower wire . Just a thought , I have never used a MIG welder but realise the wire is reasonably stiff which would make t easy to follow the required curvature .

Cheers Tom in Oz ,with a touch of madness crossed with a enquiring mind .
Offline applor  
#9 Posted : 10 March 2017 00:02:15(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Have you been using the Sommerfeldt 82 flux? It should help the solder flow much quicker to avoid any blobby joints.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline DaleSchultz  
#10 Posted : 10 March 2017 17:50:47(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I was taught to avoid using flux when soldering. It leads to premature oxidation later (or something like that).

I found that the Sommerfeld catenary readily accepted solder and so there was no need for flux anyway.
Dale
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 20 March 2017 14:25:40(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Tom Jessop Go to Quoted Post
I have just been looking at a brochure from a wholesale tool company & they have special on MIG welder wire with a 0.9mm size, looks to be copper plated . Would this be suitable for the lower catenary contact wire with the upper wire soldered to hangers / droppers which are then soldered to the contact wire . This would then give a continuous wire without joins for the running lower wire . Just a thought , I have never used a MIG welder but realise the wire is reasonably stiff which would make t easy to follow the required curvature .

Cheers Tom in Oz ,with a touch of madness crossed with a enquiring mind .

I've looked at a UK company (roll of copper wire) but never was sure how stiff it was so I've declined to buy it and went back to Sommerfeldt.

John

Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 20 March 2017 14:27:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Have you been using the Sommerfeldt 82 flux? It should help the solder flow much quicker to avoid any blobby joints.

I've used it before and it was a disaster, all of the wires oxidated
Offline applor  
#13 Posted : 23 March 2017 06:39:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
If you are using a non-resin flux you will need to use it sparingly and clean it immediately with isopropyl is all.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 08 April 2017 00:54:40(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post

I've used it before and it was a disaster, all of the wires oxidated

I think I read somewhere that Sommerfeldt recommend cleaning the solder fluxed areas post assembly with a solvent/spirit (to remove any left over solder oil).
Then they provide paint to give the wire the proper color, which should further reduce odds of oxidation.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 08 April 2017 01:02:20(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Tacking onto this generically named thread, I've got a specific question pertaining to the planning of the layout of track vs cantenary posts. Specifically given that the cantenary is for optics only - will not be powering the locomotives. So in tunnels and other non-visible areas, no cantenary will be installed and the pickups will be eased to the wires via ramped wires in various ways.

What are the gotchas- if there are any - between
  1. planning for the cantenary at the start (when doing layout planning)
    vs
  2. planning and building the layout and afterwards placing cantenary

I realize that one general thing to consider is the placement of masts in inside curves, where the clearance to the cars midpoints to avoid contact (eg in a 360mm R1) is critical.
I also realize that considering whats next to the track to allow room for placement of masts is important. Masts can be integrated into the landscape scenery easily enough, even with slopes and hills, but if a building, fence, road, or train-room hard wall is in the way, thats another problem.

Beyond that though... what else does one look out for.

I'm wanting to stage things.. so build the layout first, then at a future date, start thinking about installing cantenary. However, I don't want to paint myself into an unsolvable corner if I can avoid it.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline PJMärklin  
#16 Posted : 08 April 2017 07:16:24(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

vs

Hello Thomas,

I was not sure what a "gotcha" is but the ethers provided :

" noun
1 N. Amer. an instance of catching someone out or exposing them to ridicule.
2 N. Amer. a sudden unforeseen problem.
ORIGIN 1930s: representing a pronunciation."

So I expect meaning #2 applies.

May I respond that I built all my layout with the firm intention of ultimately building a Sommerfeldt Catenary
however I made no modifications to the layout plan with this intention in mind.I subsequently just
built the catenary to suit the layout.

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline jvuye  
#17 Posted : 08 April 2017 10:23:00(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

vs

Hello Thomas,

I was not sure what a "gotcha" is but the ethers provided :

" noun
1 N. Amer. an instance of catching someone out or exposing them to ridicule.
2 N. Amer. a sudden unforeseen problem.
ORIGIN 1930s: representing a pronunciation."

So I expect meaning #2 applies.

May I respond that I built all my layout with the firm intention of ultimately building a Sommerfeldt Catenary
however I made no modifications to the layout plan with this intention in mind.I subsequently just
built the catenary to suit the layout.

Regards,

PJ

Hi PJ!
Great catenary job!
Looks like someone has been (carefully!) reading Mr Sommerfeldt book on building a model catenary!
Hats off! (You don't need to look that one up in the dictionnary, do you ? BigGrin )
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 08 April 2017 11:54:32(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Hi PJ!
Great catenary job!
Looks like someone has been (carefully!) reading Mr Sommerfeldt book on building a model catenary!
Hats off! (You don't need to look that one up in the dictionnary, do you ? BigGrin )
Cheers
Jacques

Hello Jacques,

Thank you for your kind comments.BigGrin

Also involved much reading of this book! :

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Philip
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline jcrtrains  
#19 Posted : 08 April 2017 15:21:01(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I am at the start of putting up catenary albeit Veissmann. I have about twenty odd masts up. I am not changing the layout, but as it is fully sceniced, there is some 'scenery clearing / digging ' to get the masts placed properly. Unavoidable and not a big deal.

I think the message is you can add catenary at any time on your layout journey.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline jvuye  
#20 Posted : 08 April 2017 20:30:41(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Hi PJ!
Great catenary job!
Cheers
Jacques

Hello Jacques,

Thank you for your kind comments.BigGrin

Regards,

Philip

Yes ! Best two books on the subject.
You're all set!
If the seas ever carry me back again in your neighborhood I'll have to drop anchor in Hobbart and come and play trains with you! Wink

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline PJMärklin  
#21 Posted : 09 April 2017 04:17:27(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

If the seas ever carry me back again in your neighborhood I'll have to drop anchor in Hobbart and come and play trains with you! Wink

Hello again Jacques,

You would be very welcome.BigGrin

I think you would find the cruising areas around southeast Tasmania enjoyable yachting - as did various French explorers in the late 1700's.
Below we are anchored in a bay off the D'Entrecasteaux Channel and ahead is Bruny island. Both named for Antoine Bruni d'Entrecasteaux who explored the area in 1792.
The English (in Sydney) were concerned the French wanted to settle Van Dieman's Land (now Tasmania) and sent a preemptive party to settle Hobart in 1803 - the second settlement in Australia after Sydney; the rest is history!

UserPostedImage

Regards,

Philip
Offline river6109  
#22 Posted : 09 April 2017 10:59:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I am at the start of putting up catenary albeit Veissmann. I have about twenty odd masts up. I am not changing the layout, but as it is fully sceniced, there is some 'scenery clearing / digging ' to get the masts placed properly. Unavoidable and not a big deal.

not always, there are moments when you need the right setup especially with cross spans, keep in mind a simple setup wouldn't need special requirements.

John

Offline Minok  
#23 Posted : 10 April 2017 20:05:03(UTC)
Minok

United States   

not always, there are moments when you need the right setup especially with cross spans, keep in mind a simple setup wouldn't need special requirements.

John

Can you elaborate? Picture?

In looking at some of the cantenary work, its clear that you do have to put in some basic planning which I suspect just occurs naturally anyway.
You do need to have space to put the masts; its only maybe an inch beside the key tracks but it needs to be there, be it at the layout edge (common practice anyway) or certain spots of a yard/field of track, or beside a cliff wall.

But the trickier bits that are not so obvious, maybe what you are referring to.. that what I'd like to understand.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Minok  
#24 Posted : 10 April 2017 20:21:38(UTC)
Minok

United States   

UserPostedImage

Great tip.. and there's a modern update to it... Amazon order placed, and then of course added 2 of the books by MIBA Report on Signals (#3 and #4):

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline river6109  
#25 Posted : 11 April 2017 04:42:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I'm living in an area whereas electric trains didn't exists until the 90's so it was hard for me to construct the overhead system as it should have done. I had the Sommerfeldt construction booklet but until you see it in real life I couldn't really understand the workings of it. what I've referred to is mainly when you have cross spans and within the cross span you have a number of turnouts this when it becomes tricky feeding the wires back to one of the masts, when I've finished mine I'll show some pictures of it.
I've made already one mistake: I should have put the mast 1 more track further out. but I've done already the cross span wires so I couldn't be bothered to take it all down again and start afresh by placing the mast 1 track further apart.
the first picture above illustrates the one scenario.

regards.,

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109