Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline joyofmarklin  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2018 22:50:01(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Hello,

I am going to assemble my M track and have in the past had it on 2 folding tables approx 6' by 5' I have done a mainly oval shape with a second smaller oval crossing over the main one. I always end up with it not quite meeting. Thinking of getting some smaller track to fit better?
Any suggestions on a better method?
Also suggestions of what sort of fabric I should cover these tables with?
Any advice greatly appreciated? have youngster visiting for Christmas!!

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by joyofmarklin
Offline Chris6382chris  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2018 03:10:55(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Chris

If you are using any of the Marklin Sectional track, like M Track you should be able to find the needed sections to make a larger outside circle M 5200 and then a smaller circle M 5100. You can achieve the cross over via one of the crossing or by using the curved or straight switches. If you having a problem with the tracks meeting up you could always try a free track planning software just to get a better understanding of the actual track sections you need.

If you are just doing a temporary Christmas display you could use one of the Woodland Scenic landscaping mats. They come in various sizes and could be made to cover a 6'x5' table.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline joyofmarklin  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2018 15:57:04(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
Chris

If you are using any of the Marklin Sectional track, like M Track you should be able to find the needed sections to make a larger outside circle M 5200 and then a smaller circle M 5100. You can achieve the cross over via one of the crossing or by using the curved or straight switches. If you having a problem with the tracks meeting up you could always try a free track planning software just to get a better understanding of the actual track sections you need.

If you are just doing a temporary Christmas display you could use one of the Woodland Scenic landscaping mats. They come in various sizes and could be made to cover a 6'x5' table.

Many thanks for this advice, appreciated!!
Offline joyofmarklin  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2018 19:32:51(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: joyofmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Chris

Using a landscape mat got me thinking of building a lightweight frame, say of plywood that would sit on the tables. Then I could hide/ run the signal wires under it, to look neater. Any advice on best method to run these wires please? I read that Eckert engineering (Invaluable advise) advise a loom , but think that is for general lighting and not specific signals?
Any advice re construction of "tray" and wiring would be much appreciated?

Thank you
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2018 20:15:22(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Chris

Using a landscape mat got me thinking of building a lightweight frame, say of plywood that would sit on the tables. Then I could hide/ run the signal wires under it, to look neater. Any advice on best method to run these wires please? I read that Eckert engineering (Invaluable advise) advise a loom , but think that is for general lighting and not specific signals?

Thank you

This is just a thought and I have not done it myself but perhaps glue the wires to the plywood. You can pencil were the wire should go first as a guide. It sounds like you are making a simple layout and it should not be hard to do - Fred
MrB32  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2018 03:35:13(UTC)

Chris

Thank you

Careful!
A couple of thoughts more and you will be re purposing your living room into a permanent train room :) It is very easy to get carried away...

How many points and signals are you planning on using on your Xmas layout? Do you have lots of houses with lights and other decorative electrical knick-knacks? How much time do you have to build all this between now and xmas? How fast do you work? Are you planning on re using anything in the future?

Judging by your posts, I am assuming you are just looking at a one off setup, in this case a frame and loom may be over engineering in my honest opinion. On the other hand, if you a secretly thinking of making things more permanent/re usable in the same configuration, then this is the way to go... I am also assuming you are running everything in analogue mode.

I spend my time building and dismantling analogue m-track temporary layouts (I simply would get bored with a permanent layout... but I am digressing...). I start with an overall sketch with pen and paper, think about automation then move to track planning software. At that stage, I plan space for wiring on the surface of my folding tables. The fun starts after this stage, building!.

During the building stage, if there is one certainty, it is that anything you thought would take 1 day, will automatically take 3 to 4 times longer: there is always something missing you need to buy, a quick delivery promised by a vendor always turns to be very slow, some items that you thought would be readily available just happen to become unavailable at the time you most need them...

Regarding wiring loom, they is more of a permanent solution. Putting all wires together in a loom assumes that you will re use this loom in the same of a very similar configuration. Any drastic change will require you to add more wires to the loom, or worse run additional wires alongside it, defeating the purpose of the exercise... My last temporary "layout" was 8x15ft (22 points, 15 signals, 20ft ramp and bridge section, 300ft of track, 1 turntable, 1 transfer table and 1 crane... and catenary....). Even with that size, bearing in mind I use a feeder track every 5 to 6 ft of track, and the use of 300ft of cable, I got away with using a few (20'ish) stick-on cable holders (similar to these ones: Cable holders) on my folding tables. I just ran the majority of the wiring in 2 straight lines between parallel tracks along each side of the layout, and kept all wires together with these clips. I guess this arrangement could be covered with a mat to make it look neater, one "just" has to leave enough space between wires and tracks to keep things as level and stable as possible to avoid derailments...

I guess I am trying to say with this long blurb, that sometimes less is better:

The little ones visiting you will be happy racing trains as fast as possible on 2 parallel ovals or pressing buttons/turning dials, and see they can move objects by doing so. They'll also want to see derailments:)

What they won't notice are a few wires on show...

But if you are in the mood for a lot of work, there is an example of a permanent/re usable Christmas layout on m-track on YouTube (in german and in 5 episodes so far...), plenty of sawing, wiring, glueing etc etc....

Offline joyofmarklin  
#7 Posted : 19 November 2018 19:26:06(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: MrB32 Go to Quoted Post
Chris

Thank you

Careful!
A couple of thoughts more and you will be re purposing your living room into a permanent train room :) It is very easy to get carried away...

How many points and signals are you planning on using on your Xmas layout? Do you have lots of houses with lights and other decorative electrical knick-knacks? How much time do you have to build all this between now and xmas? How fast do you work? Are you planning on re using anything in the future?

Judging by your posts, I am assuming you are just looking at a one off setup, in this case a frame and loom may be over engineering in my honest opinion. On the other hand, if you a secretly thinking of making things more permanent/re usable in the same configuration, then this is the way to go... I am also assuming you are running everything in analogue mode.

I spend my time building and dismantling analogue m-track temporary layouts (I simply would get bored with a permanent layout... but I am digressing...). I start with an overall sketch with pen and paper, think about automation then move to track planning software. At that stage, I plan space for wiring on the surface of my folding tables. The fun starts after this stage, building!.

During the building stage, if there is one certainty, it is that anything you thought would take 1 day, will automatically take 3 to 4 times longer: there is always something missing you need to buy, a quick delivery promised by a vendor always turns to be very slow, some items that you thought would be readily available just happen to become unavailable at the time you most need them...

Regarding wiring loom, they is more of a permanent solution. Putting all wires together in a loom assumes that you will re use this loom in the same of a very similar configuration. Any drastic change will require you to add more wires to the loom, or worse run additional wires alongside it, defeating the purpose of the exercise... My last temporary "layout" was 8x15ft (22 points, 15 signals, 20ft ramp and bridge section, 300ft of track, 1 turntable, 1 transfer table and 1 crane... and catenary....). Even with that size, bearing in mind I use a feeder track every 5 to 6 ft of track, and the use of 300ft of cable, I got away with using a few (20'ish) stick-on cable holders (similar to these ones: Cable holders) on my folding tables. I just ran the majority of the wiring in 2 straight lines between parallel tracks along each side of the layout, and kept all wires together with these clips. I guess this arrangement could be covered with a mat to make it look neater, one "just" has to leave enough space between wires and tracks to keep things as level and stable as possible to avoid derailments...

I guess I am trying to say with this long blurb, that sometimes less is better:

The little ones visiting you will be happy racing trains as fast as possible on 2 parallel ovals or pressing buttons/turning dials, and see they can move objects by doing so. They'll also want to see derailments:)

What they won't notice are a few wires on show...

But if you are in the mood for a lot of work, there is an example of a permanent/re usable Christmas layout on m-track on YouTube (in german and in 5 episodes so far...), plenty of sawing, wiring, glueing etc etc....

Thank you so much for this much food for thought!!
Offline joyofmarklin  
#8 Posted : 19 November 2018 19:30:08(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
May I see you layout perhaps?

Also are you suggesting I run the wires to the signals using these clips?
many thanks for your input.
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 19 November 2018 19:51:33(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Just a thought, Railmodeller Express is a free software that works with Marklin M track on imac etc, I assume PCs as well. It is quite limited but will give you ideas as to how to do things. (RailModeller Pro costs money) Might save you hours of trying things out while lying on the floor!

If you need more 'M' track Ebay is the place to go though careful, some of it is rusty junk that has been trodden on by young feet.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
MrB32  
#10 Posted : 19 November 2018 21:17:05(UTC)

Yes, exactly that.

If you look at the picture (this is the large layout I mentioned in my post), the black lines represent where I ran the wires and attached them with clips. Signals, points and power cables mostly end up running along these black lines on the way to whatever item controls them. You could see that as a loom I guess, with the difference that cables are not permanently tied together, so you can add or remove stuff as the need arises. I think of it more like a collector.
If a signal is controlled by a switching track for example, and the switching track is not far away, then the cable goes directly there, unless there is a practical reason to go via the collector. Pretty simple :)

MrB32  
#11 Posted : 19 November 2018 21:18:43(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Just a thought, Railmodeller Express is a free software that works with Marklin M track on imac etc, I assume PCs as well. It is quite limited but will give you ideas as to how to do things. (RailModeller Pro costs money) Might save you hours of trying things out while lying on the floor!

If you need more 'M' track Ebay is the place to go though careful, some of it is rusty junk that has been trodden on by young feet.

The picture I just posted was made with RailModeller Pro on iMac :)
Michael, we need to meet :)

They don't offer a version on PC, but their customer service is very good (it is basically a one man shop, so you speak to the developer directly...)
Offline joyofmarklin  
#12 Posted : 20 November 2018 21:51:11(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   

Yes, exactly that.

If you look at the picture (this is the large layout I mentioned in my post), the black lines represent where I ran the wires and attached them with clips. Signals, points and power cables mostly end up running along these black lines on the way to whatever item controls them. You could see that as a loom I guess, with the difference that cables are not permanently tied together, so you can add or remove stuff as the need arises. I think of it more like a collector.
If a signal is controlled by a switching track for example, and the switching track is not far away, then the cable goes directly there, unless there is a practical reason to go via the collector. Pretty simple :)

Would
Many Thxs will let you know how I do!
Offline joyofmarklin  
#13 Posted : 20 November 2018 21:53:30(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   

They don't offer a version on PC, but their customer service is very good (it is basically a one man shop, so you speak to the developer directly...)

Many thanks for this will pursue
Offline joyofmarklin  
#14 Posted : 29 November 2018 18:07:10(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   

Many thanks for this will pursue

Hello,

I am going to assemble my M track and have in the past had it on 2 folding tables approx 6' by 5' I have done a mainly oval shape with a second smaller oval crossing over the main one. I always end up with it not quite meeting. Thinking of getting some smaller track to fit better?
Any suggestions on a better method?
Also suggestions of what sort of fabric I should cover these tables with?
Any advice greatly appreciated? have youngster visiting for Christmas!!

Chris

Further advice sought please
If I convert my analogue loco to digital, info suggests that I can run it as an analogue loco provided I am using a new transformer ie white?
If that is correct can I also add analogue locos to the same m track and run them using switches etc? All controlled by the same transformer?

Also what do I need if I convert all my locos to digital. Believe I need a mobile station? Can I use the white transformer as its power source as I would also use it to control signals and switches.

Hope you can help?

MrB32  
#15 Posted : 30 November 2018 03:18:12(UTC)

Hi,

You can run digital locomotives on an analogue layout using a white transformer. Your locomotive will simply behave like another analogue locomotive on the layout. Functions might not be available depending on the decoder you decide to use.

Analogue and digital cannot run at the same time on the same track. In analogue mode, power to the track is increased or decreased as required to control the locomotive. In digital mode, the power to the track is at a constant voltage, and digital locomotives are listening to digital signals transferred from the controller over the track, so your analogue locomotives would simply run full speed in one direction with no way to control them.

You can isolate track sections of the layout to run analogue material on one side and digital on the other, with the evident risk of wrongly sending an engine on the wrong track, but in your case, it is unlikely to be possible based on your description of ovals crossing each other.

I would recommend the Traxeditor website for you to experiment with shapes and plan your layout on your computer. The address of the site is: https://www.traxeditor.com/. It is free and offers the entire M-track library. It is a good way to find out what shape could work.

To convert your locomotives you will need:
- a motor upgrade kit and decoder (there are several kits available for the majority of motor types on the Märklin website)
- a soldering iron and ancillaries.
- a set of small screwdrivers (like the Märklin 70900)

For digital control:
- a mobile station will not work with a white transformer out of the box.
- You'd have to buy a mobile station, a connection box, and a power supply.
- An option could also to buy a starter set and a couple of adapter tracks to connect the newer C-track to your M-track. The reference of the adapter track is 24951. This would be a relatively cheap way to familiarise yourself with the digital world before engaging in the conversion of your older locos.
- Your switches can be operated manually, and wired the old fashioned way, you can use your white transformer to power them (you need to ensure the only shared wire with your digital kit is the brown one, you might destroy the electronics in the digital locomotives otherwise).

Also:
A good track rubber, to ensure your M-track is clean. Digital operations rely on good connectivity, your old m-track might suffer from oxidisation at the moment.

Finally:
Spend a lot of time reading documentation, if you speak German, there is a good book called "(Wieder-) Einsteigen in die Märklin Modellbahn", as far as I know only available in German. There are also plenty of resources available online. ACJKIDS in the US has a good website, with plenty of "How do I?" or "How does this work?" type of articles in English, of course there is also this forum and good old Google...

Offline joyofmarklin  
#16 Posted : 30 November 2018 17:09:44(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Hi,

You can run digital locomotives on an analogue layout using a white transformer. Your locomotive will simply behave like another analogue locomotive on the layout. Functions might not be available depending on the decoder you decide to use.

Analogue and digital cannot run at the same time on the same track. In analogue mode, power to the track is increased or decreased as required to control the locomotive. In digital mode, the power to the track is at a constant voltage, and digital locomotives are listening to digital signals transferred from the controller over the track, so your analogue locomotives would simply run full speed in one direction with no way to control them.

You can isolate track sections of the layout to run analogue material on one side and digital on the other, with the evident risk of wrongly sending an engine on the wrong track, but in your case, it is unlikely to be possible based on your description of ovals crossing each other.

I would recommend the Traxeditor website for you to experiment with shapes and plan your layout on your computer. The address of the site is: https://www.traxeditor.com/. It is free and offers the entire M-track library. It is a good way to find out what shape could work.

- a motor upgrade kit and decoder (there are several kits available for the majority of motor types on the Märklin website)

For digital control:
- An option could also to buy a starter set and a couple of adapter tracks to connect the newer C-track to your M-track. The reference of the adapter track is 24951. This would be a relatively cheap way to familiarise yourself with the digital world before engaging in the conversion of your older locos.
- Your switches can be operated manually, and wired the old fashioned way, you can use your white transformer to power them (you need to ensure the only shared wire with your digital kit is the brown one, you might destroy the electronics in the digital locomotives otherwise).

Also:
A good track rubber, to ensure your M-track is clean. Digital operations rely on good connectivity, your old m-track might suffer from oxidisation at the moment.

Finally:
Spend a lot of time reading documentation, if you speak German, there is a good book called "(Wieder-) Einsteigen in die Märklin Modellbahn", as far as I know only available in German. There are also plenty of resources available online. ACJKIDS in the US has a good website, with plenty of "How do I?" or "How does this work?" type of articles in English, of course there is also this forum and good old Google...

Thankyou so much for this extensive reply! Can you suggest a make of rubber (do i use it on the middle power pickup to?)and perhaps clips for the wires, as it has been suggested I run the wires under the track in case I change the layout? I will start using the track plan and will keep you posted.
MrB32  
#17 Posted : 30 November 2018 18:04:54(UTC)

Track rubber (or rail cleaners in US English) all work more or less the same, Peco, Piko, Walthers, Woodland Scenics for example all offer these products.
I'd start with the rails, very lightly, just to get rid of the oxidisation. I only touch the middle contacts in when I find issues on a particular piece of track. Where you find rust, you'll have to go a bit harder.
You'll find the clips on ebay or amazon for example, just type cable clips in the search box. I would simply experiment with various arrangements once the layout is in place and go for the one that suits your circumstances (no clips, clips, cable ties, under track etc...). Nothing beats passing wires through drill holes and fixing the wires under the baseboard if you are doing something permanent.
Offline joyofmarklin  
#18 Posted : 30 November 2018 20:19:00(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Track rubber (or rail cleaners in US English) all work more or less the same, Peco, Piko, Walthers, Woodland Scenics for example all offer these products.
I'd start with the rails, very lightly, just to get rid of the oxidisation. I only touch the middle contacts in when I find issues on a particular piece of track. Where you find rust, you'll have to go a bit harder.
You'll find the clips on ebay or amazon for example, just type cable clips in the search box. I would simply experiment with various arrangements once the layout is in place and go for the one that suits your circumstances (no clips, clips, cable ties, under track etc...). Nothing beats passing wires through drill holes and fixing the wires under the baseboard if you are doing something permanent.

Many thxs will do (and will have a cuppa, I'm a Brit too!)
MrB32  
#19 Posted : 30 November 2018 20:23:53(UTC)

I am French, but like a cuppa :)
Offline joyofmarklin  
#20 Posted : 01 December 2018 00:36:45(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Merci mon fils habite en France!
Offline joyofmarklin  
#21 Posted : 04 December 2018 00:20:18(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
I have seen somewhere turnouts numbered on small blocks. Where can I get these, so I can easily identify which turnouts correspond with my switches?
Suggestions please?

Thank you
MrB32  
#22 Posted : 04 December 2018 13:27:19(UTC)

This is not longer produced by Märklin, but you can still find used sets on auction sites. The article number is 7195.

Offline waorb  
#23 Posted : 04 December 2018 14:24:28(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello!

I labelled my ones (turnouts and signals) with small tapes.

Label Printer

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Offline joyofmarklin  
#24 Posted : 04 December 2018 15:07:20(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
This is not longer produced by Märklin, but you can still find used sets on auction sites. The article number is 7195.

Once again thankyou ideal but where to find them MMM
MrB32  
#25 Posted : 04 December 2018 17:09:18(UTC)

They turn up on eBay from time to time, sometimes as part of a lot with something M-track related.
The German name for it is "Nummernschild Garnitur"
Offline twmarklinfan  
#26 Posted : 04 December 2018 18:14:53(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   

There are some on eBay. I found this item 273591635757 which is in the USA but the picture is of the right item but the description appears to be K track. Pricing for the item seems to be all over the place. I have a spare brand new in box set.

Regards
Adrian
Offline joyofmarklin  
#27 Posted : 04 December 2018 20:03:07(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: twmarklinfan Go to Quoted Post

There are some on eBay. I found this item 273591635757 which is in the USA but the picture is of the right item but the description appears to be K track. Pricing for the item seems to be all over the place. I have a spare brand new in box set.

Regards
Adrian

Many thxs will look at the ebay item you kindly found for me and report back

regards

Chris
Offline joyofmarklin  
#28 Posted : 17 December 2018 00:32:41(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Hi,
Help my white transformer has stopped working! The lights and turnouts work but no power to the track! My old blue transformer works though? The white transformer says it has a thermal cut out to protect it and resets itself. Any advice to get the transformer working. Stopped when some carriages derailed, they have lights in them.
Help plse?

For digital control:

Also:

Finally:

Thankyou so much for this extensive reply! Can you suggest a make of rubber (do i use it on the middle power pickup to?)and perhaps clips for the wires, as it has been suggested I run the wires under the track in case I change the layout? I will start using the track plan and will keep you posted.

Offline joyofmarklin  
#29 Posted : 26 September 2020 21:18:06(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AieVZl0I2-3dlneT6R2ZwLNV70Ba

Have finally made progress with my layout. Have added two outer C track, but will remain with M track!
Work in progress, as need to redo the ramp section and get my 6600 running smoothly.
Am indebted to the advice here and to Nicolas Boutinon for his patience and assistance.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by joyofmarklin
Offline ocram63_uk  
#30 Posted : 26 September 2020 23:24:30(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Cool layout, multiple trains running around!!! Like it very much :-)
Offline joyofmarklin  
#31 Posted : 27 September 2020 01:45:34(UTC)
joyofmarklin

United States   
Appreciated 😁