Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fabstar68  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2024 23:41:10(UTC)
fabstar68

Italy   
Hi all,

i am looking for the most efficient way (in terms of track length efficiency, i don't have a lot pf space) to make a 90° curve. The beginning of the curve is a standard two tracks set with the 77.5 mm centerline distance. At the end of the curve (or, to better say, as soon as possible after the end of the curve) i will have my main station, where i want 4 tracks with the following centerline distances :
first to second : around 105 mm, in order to put a large platform between them
second to third : around the protorype distance,, 64.3 mm
third to fourth : as first to second, around 105 mm for another large platform

i want that whatever track a train is on in the station (1 to 4), it must be able to take the curve and end it at the first or second track.

i made a lot of research and trial and errors with scrum, but i cannot find a good solution. i don't even know if what i want to do is feasible. Any trip is appreciated. thanks

Fab

Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2024 00:02:44(UTC)
Copenhagen

You write "scrum". Do you mean Scarm? I have used that track planning software myself.
H0 layouts do take up more space than one often thinks (or likes). We usually have to make compromises and adapt and make changes to make things fit.

If you have a temporary layout in Scarm it should be possible to upload it as a picture here so people can comment on it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Snowfun  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2024 16:52:55(UTC)
Snowfun

United Kingdom   
Hi,
I use Railmodeller Pro for track design. This would certainly answer your question and enable good visualisation of the intended layout.
I run it on a Mac. It's not free but certainly not expensive for what it does.
Best,
Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Snowfun
Offline fabstar68  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2024 22:26:41(UTC)
fabstar68

Italy   
track.jpg

thx all for the reply, i have highlighted the track section that i mean,

and i don't have a MAC so i cannot follow the previous suggestion, but thanks anyway
Offline Copenhagen  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2024 23:15:23(UTC)
Copenhagen

I'm no layout expert. One thing I see as problematic is that you have three tracks going from the curve into the station. If you just had the two outer tracks, a double line, you would (or could) have more space for the platforms and the station.

Adding to this: getting rid of the two crossings before the station will mean that you will have to incorporate turnouts elsewhere of course.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2024 00:11:02(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Something like this?

(a) Curved station throat without S-curves (and without curved turnouts), connecting each station track to either main line track, and creating room for wider passenger platforms.
winterbahn_einfahrtw4yoq.jpg

(b) A "curved" station throat without S-curves, allowing to access all station tracks from either of the dual mainline tracks. The track planner shows minor gaps, but a reality check proved that it is possible.
curved2017throat1.png
Regarding the inner track on the right side, 24230+24207 can be replaced by 241xx sections, respectively.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline fabstar68  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2024 17:47:45(UTC)
fabstar68

Italy   
thank you very much buddy, that was really helpful. i owe you one. are those your work, or can you point me to a website / document where i can find more of those examples ? thx again
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fabstar68
Offline rbw993  
#8 Posted : 10 January 2024 20:48:20(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Ak is the C-track Master! He just passes his hands over a pile of track and the pieces align themselves in interesting and beautiful configurations.

Signed,
An Acolyte
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 10 January 2024 22:28:02(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: fabstar68 Go to Quoted Post
thank you very much buddy, that was really helpful. i owe you one. are those your work, or can you point me to a website / document where i can find more of those examples ? thx again

Examples of such alternative approaches to the Märklin C-track geometry are unfortunately rare. The former I detected seven years ago somewhere on www.upload.de, while the latter is my own work. Both - and other examples - can be found in this forum thread:

https://www.marklin-user...s--uses--and-innovations

Furthermore, another German thread offers a synopsis of various Stummiforum contributions:

https://www.stummiforum....e-C-Gleis-Geometrie.html

Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Ak is the C-track Master! He just passes his hands over a pile of track and the pieces align themselves in interesting and beautiful configurations.

Signed,
An Acolyte

I am not worthy. Blushing
Offline fbaube  
#10 Posted : 11 January 2024 08:08:32(UTC)
fbaube

Finland   
> Examples of such alternative approaches to the Märklin C-track geometry are unfortunately rare.

Let's hope someone trains an A.I. on a huge collection of C-track layouts !
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 11 January 2024 13:23:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: fabstar68 Go to Quoted Post

Signed,
An Acolyte

I am not worthy. Blushing

Oh, I dunno, the way you seem to be able to make a complete layout all tied up in twists and turns without using any straight track is a wonder to behold. ThumpUp

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline fabstar68  
#12 Posted : 11 January 2024 19:54:56(UTC)
fabstar68

Italy   
thx again
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fabstar68
Offline revmox  
#13 Posted : 15 January 2024 08:15:48(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
I'm searching for the correct colour for C track. A while back I discovered and posted the plastic is BASF Luran S. From odd comments it seems that the colour comes from a standard BASF range and isn't a "special mix", but I haven't nailed it down yet - maybe it is from an older colour range. Does anyone know what the colour is?

I came across the following snippet - you'll be very pleased to read that this plastic makes "maintenance work on the tracks superfluous".

BASF again.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 15 January 2024 09:05:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: revmox Go to Quoted Post
I came across the following snippet - you'll be very pleased to read that this plastic makes "maintenance work on the tracks superfluous".
I've known that for a long time.
Sounds good.

It simply means that new C track out of the box comes with dirty and oily rails. The maintenance work has been transferred to the customer.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mbarreto  
#15 Posted : 15 January 2024 16:37:15(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hello,

Is the BASF product being used to correct the problem that affected C track before 2004, or was it the original product?
In a way it seems it was used to correct the problem, but the date that appears in the document is 2002, so I understand it is at least a document from 2003.

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline revmox  
#16 Posted : 15 January 2024 22:34:12(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

Is the BASF product being used to correct the problem that affected C track before 2004, or was it the original product?
In a way it seems it was used to correct the problem, but the date that appears in the document is 2002, so I understand it is at least a document from 2003.

Miguel

A very old topic but from what I can gather with my very limited German it's the same basic product, but the original mix or grade of C track plastic wasn't up to scratch (absolutely no suggestion of declining Marklin quality there). This caused the infamous brittle track fiasco - something to do with the "percentage of regrind used" is a common guess. This was corrected around 2004 and track pieces that have the small ASA stamp (Acrylonitrile-Styrene-Acrylate) are from the later batch and are supposedly OK.

Anyway, anyone know the name of the colour?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
Offline marklinist5999  
#17 Posted : 15 January 2024 22:38:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I was going to say that. I am using some of my early C track, and it's brittle, but screwed down. You will have a problem if both adjoining tabs are broken.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#18 Posted : 20 January 2024 14:18:41(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Addressing the initial request (and further to my above post #6), I retrieved my simpler (and cheaper) 2017 idea:
2017parallel24912-24130-24206x2.png
The track planner program shows a gap which doesn't exist in real life.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek