Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ProductionMgr  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2024 04:03:24(UTC)
ProductionMgr

United States   

Hi
I have purchased the Marklin 0232 mini club track game or layout guide.
I'm not sure exactly what I have, but I bought it with the hope that I could use the pieces to create my layout.
The pieces of plastic track are smaller than regular track, but I wonder if the sections would still create the correct arc if pieced together.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2024 05:13:24(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well. I have not looked up your part number, but I believe I have this set also.

You are right, that is exactly what this “game” is. If you look on the bottom of each piece, there is a number and this corresponds to an actual track part number.

This set, if complete, should allow you to plan an actual track layout. It will make it easier to visualize this task and to see if your idea transposes to the real thing. Parts should give you an idea if the assembly is correct because sometimes it looks like the track is going to work, but it really doesn’t. Watch for pices which seem misaligned.

You could use this along with your track plan guide and come up with a well thought out track. The track guide is a book and you can search this forum to locate a link to download it yourself.

Play the track game and you will develop a great layout. It is easier than trial and error or drawing it out on paper, or could confirm you are on the right track if used together. You could even use it later to document your track plan, or to make future changes and help initially create your shopping list of the things you will need.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2024 06:37:39(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
A few have said that 1 pack is not enough.

But at least draw up a Master Plan at the end of the day to the actual scale so you can visualise the overall plan in its location. Butchers paper for drafts, then buy a few A1 (or A3 & sticky tape together) sheets of architectural drafting tracing paper. A few dollars spent here will save a fortune in money & time later avoiding stupid mistakes. You can calculate & pencil in RLs (Relative Levels) on the plan.

Best to iron out all problems on paper than having to rebuild. Even working out building, street & tree spacing.

A Z gauge model at 1:10 (so 1:2200).
_MG_0870_095356.jpg

To draw up large radius use a long strip of cardboard. Push a pencil through one end & a nail or another pencil through the other end.

The Marklin 660mm track section is very handy to minimise joins. You will have to cut sleepers if using for radius & or spirals, but it's worth the effort. I have boxes of it for my next layout.

If doing gradients, aim for 300mm radius on spirals etc. 2% gradient maximum. So this is one area where the standard 220mm radius or less is basically useless. If doing dual main lines on gradients try to have uphill trains on the outside track for larger radius, thus less gradient.

Keep track in general 50mm (2 inches) in from edge of layout especially for straight sections for scenery, it just looks so much better if track doesn't look like it is going fall off the edge of the layout. It actually makes the layout look bigger.

Water1.jpg

Water2.jpg

_MG_7483.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2024 19:05:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ProductionMgr Go to Quoted Post

Hi
I have purchased the Marklin 0232 mini club track game or layout guide.
I'm not sure exactly what I have, but I bought it with the hope that I could use the pieces to create my layout.
The pieces of plastic track are smaller than regular track, but I wonder if the sections would still create the correct arc if pieced together.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

You are correct that these kits are designed to assist in planning a layout, but I have a caveat. I don't have experience with the Z gauge version, but my experience with a H0 version is that there is a fair amount of slop in joining the pieces together, so while you may be able to make a layout plan using the kit, the actual layout may need some fiddling of lengths to make it work.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Zme