Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#1 Posted : 30 November 2023 01:55:07(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
So, being slightly involved in a few threads in re Factory Built Layouts for either Dealers' Window/Floor Displays, as well as those which were taken to the big shows for New Item Reveals, etc.

A thought occurred to me that I had not actually seen, although there may be a thread about this:

When Märklin built small-medium layouts for the dealers, did they have a special group whose sole responsibility was making sure each and every dealer layout met certain standards for continuity, and criteria to match what was offered in the dealer display catalogs? I believe that they coördinated with Faller or Vollmer or Kibri, and Noch and others on some products - structures, preformed bases perhaps, backgrounds, etc. - however, were the final assembled layouts given the same scrutiny that was prevalent at that time for the rest of Märklin products (1950s, 60s, maybe even 70s)?

I presume the layouts for the big shows had extra-special attention, but I was thinking of the realm of the smaller products. How much "freedom of expression" (per se) would the layout constructors have been given for the overall presentation on these smaller Schaufenster layouts?

Thanks, and I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Edited by user 30 November 2023 14:07:29(UTC)  | Reason: clarification

Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline kweekalot  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2023 19:07:09(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
... How much "freedom of expression" (per se) would the layout constructors have been given for the overall presentation on these smaller Schaufenster layouts? ...

I don't know how much freedom these constructors had but I do know that there was a special department where these layouts were built.

In Marklin Magazin 1984 No 3 is a 6 page article about the place were these layouts were built, with lots of photos of hard working constructors in blue lab coats. I have to read it again to see if they had some artistic freedom.

I posted the article before on the forum in 2014, see here: https://www.marklin-user...923-from-1972#post460514

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2023 21:00:16(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Marco,

Thank you! I rather thought we might have touched on this before, but had no idea where to look. Blushing

Awesome!Woot Woot

Jimmy
Jimmy T
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2023 21:25:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I think it worth adding a couple of other resources that some may not have seen.

Factory Layouts are discussed from time to time on the Old Model trains forum (Deutsche)

https://www.altemodellba...Schaufensteranlagen.html

There is also a group that has been going for a while of like-minded layout collectors.

Again the page is in German however most modern browsers handle a very good translation on the fly so you should have no trouble following the content

http://historische-spielzeugeisenbahnen.de/

I recommend both for good info and photos.

And finally there is my own FB group for the wider interest area of Märklin Sales Aids & Models, and dealer Promotional items such as Signs, Displays etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1162550620883787 - Märklin - Sales Aids, Advertising, Shop Window Models

Please add any other related resources anyone may know of

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kweekalot  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2023 12:52:27(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Quite a lot of "Schaufenster anlagen" (= factory layouts) on forum Historische Modellbahnen too, better known as the maetrix forum.

See here: http://www.maetrix.net

(Most factory layouts are in subforum "Märklin - the Sixties - die große Zeit der Märklin-Bahn". )

Marco

(BTW : Lima, Trix Express, Fleischmann etcetera also made nice factory layouts).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2023 14:33:32(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Love ThumpUp
Jimmy T