Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fvelazdem  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2024 13:51:05(UTC)
fvelazdem

Spain   
Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing a package to control my layout through the computer. I have seen that there are at least 4:

Itrain
windpet
RocRail
Railroad.

I am aware that the most popular is RailRoad but I have read on internet that the owner is thinking of retiring and therefore discontinuing the sw.
I also know that RocRail is open and therefore free.

Based on your experience, which one do you recommend? My model is medium size.

Thanks in advance and happy new year!!
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2024 14:45:06(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Starting now, I would give Rocrail a try. If you then would find it too difficult to get going, I would then try one of the other packages. When it comes to TrainController (”Railroad”), what Hr. Freiwald will do is pure speculation on the Internet. He has a certain commercial base, and my guess he could sell the company for adding some additional Euros to the pension fund…

BigGrin
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2024 16:39:43(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
When I faced this decision, my choices were limited by the fact that I use a Mac. I evaluated Rocrail and iTrain, and chose the first because I saw that it had a fairly vivid developer community behind it (they make nearly daily builds) and that it could be tailored with XML scripting.

iTrain had a slicker user interface on the Mac, but that alone did not change my verdict, nor the fact that Rocrail documentation is somewhat messy. When testing, I also managed to create a switch combination that was handled better by Rocrail than iTrain.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline Kiko  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2024 16:45:29(UTC)
Kiko

Canada   
Hello All and Happy New Year!

I've been using TrainController (Railroad) since the 1990s and I'm very happy with the product. Yes, it's expensive, but the features and capabilities are pretty much unlimited. The software is very stable (does not crash). The learning curve is somewhat steep at first, but there are plenty of resources on the web as well as very good support via the Forum.

This is in no way an endorsement -- just my own personal opinion based on my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers,
Andry
// Marklin HO K track; ECoS; TrainController Gold; Marklin & ESU decoders; Arduino controlled Switches, Semaphores & Accessories (DCC); Win 11 //
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Kiko
Offline thomasm  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2024 16:45:40(UTC)
thomasm

Norway   
Originally Posted by: fvelazdem Go to Quoted Post

Based on your experience, which one do you recommend? My model is medium size.

I recommend the one with users near you. If all users near you, uses Program X, use that program. If there is no one around you, I believe all the listed applications have a demo version which should be sufficient to start with.
I know the demo version from windigipet is for 4 trains, 12 feedback modules, 20 timetable lines, 20 automatic lines, 76 x 51 track layout.

When you have made your choice of program, I would recommend you to buy the "big" version. Either the traincontroller gold or Windigipet-premium. Once you get hooked, you will probably upgrade to this version anyway ;)

Personally I'm using windigipet.

.thomas
Märklinist, hobbyist and collector. || Trains are meant to be driven.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thomasm