Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline matiSon  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2023 20:56:38(UTC)
matiSon

United States   
Hello,
I currently have an N gauge layout, which is getting difficult for me with the tiny pieces. I have decided to switch over to Marklin HO this winter. It is my plan to go digital, but I’d like advice on that, particularly if people think it is worth it.

I have collected some track, both C and K. I also have a few locomotives. Does anyone know if I can easily use or convert these locomotives to digital:
1. 3324
2. 33292
3. 37184
4. 37610

I would appreciate any advice that you may have for me at this juncture. My layout will start small: 5 feet by 8 feet, and will gradually expand from there.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by matiSon
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2023 21:52:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Matison
A warm welcome to our forum
Here a French fan of Märklin digital HO with computer control (Rocrail).
Märklin HO Digital is an excellent choice. I use to run N Gauge in analog and indeed some parts are really tiny (better have an eagle's vision
Your conversions
1. 3324 NS loco 1983-1987 Probably with a Drum collector (to be checked). Motor to be replaced with Mäklin 60941. Decoder mLD3 to be added. Difficulty: medium
2. 33292 Loco around 1996 E91 of the DRG Probably with a Drum collector (to be checked). Motor to be replaced with Mäklin 60941. Decoder mLD3 to be added. Difficulty: medium
3. 37184 Loco BR 18.4 of the DRG 2000-2003 Loco is already digital with simplyfied sound (runniçng sound, bell, whisle, smoke). Nothing to do unless decoder is damaged
4. 37610 Loco PA-1 (ALCO) of the U.P. 2002-005. Loco is already digital with (simplified sound- operation sound in sync with speed). Nothing to do unless decoder is damaged

Märklin is really a top choice and digital operation is fantastic.
You may use a Mobile Station 2 (60657) with a track box 60116 and a power supply adapted to your country
Alternately, you may use a CS3 which is more expensive but much more powerful with huge possibilities
I strongly recommend you use C-Track but only purchased new. Early C track had a plastic formula issue and became very brittle.

Here is a small glimpse of Märklin digital operation (my layout)

Enjoy your trains
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline matiSon  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2023 23:24:13(UTC)
matiSon

United States   
Jean,
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. It gives me some things to do to get ready for prior to the transition. I will read the information and hopefully be better versed in Marcolin options, procedures etc…
matison
Offline BenP  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2023 17:06:57(UTC)
BenP

United States   
As always, Jean's response is fantastic. I have that old C track and broken pieces everywhere. I much prefer the look of K track over plastic look of C, especially with track bed. There is K to C connect track, so you can mix their use (like C in hidden areas).
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BenP