Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline danmarklinman  
#101 Posted : 03 March 2023 05:38:02(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Hi all. I thought I would attempt a quick video on the different between British Ho and European HO loading gauge.

Hi Dan,
That is a brilliant video showing the difference between British and continental sizes in railway rolling stock.
Better than all the figures I can quote.

Is the British ferry wagon a Märklin product?

regards
Kimball

Hi, thanks for the nice comment. No all my ferry vans are of different makes. The one in the video is by ACME. It came as a set of three. I’ll put up another video of all of the ferry wagons I have in U.K. gauge soon.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline IanC  
#102 Posted : 03 March 2023 09:26:18(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Nice illustration Dan, a picture tells a thousand words
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline bph  
#103 Posted : 03 March 2023 11:20:58(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Here is a video of a class 66 locomotive in Norway, showing the loading gauge differences in real life.(watch from 0:53)

the T66 404 in the video is the former cargo net CD 66 404, 39063
The class 66 locomotive from Märklin is quite nice and fits well with other Marklin locomotives and wagons. :).

Some Di8's, as seen first in the video, was sold to England and used by Teesside Steelworks / British Steel Scunthorpe.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Goofy  
#104 Posted : 06 March 2023 20:37:55(UTC)
Goofy

As matter in fact...UK rail roader wants Flying Scotsman in scale 1:76.
An interesting note...Märklin have not always produce in scale 1:87 locomotives model.
Already before second war world 2 they did produced models in scale 00 1:76.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline marklinist5999  
#105 Posted : 06 March 2023 21:08:15(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
yes, they did Goofy, and at least a few live steam in OO.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Online kimballthurlow  
#106 Posted : 07 March 2023 03:59:05(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Here is a video of a class 66 locomotive in Norway, showing the loading gauge differences in real life.(watch from 0:53)

Hello bph,

Thanks for the video.
So is the class 66 in the video built to the British loading gauge?
That is so much smaller than continental and Norway.
And smaller than Denmark where I observed quite large trains.

So are other class 66 in Continental Europe and Scandinavia built to a different loading gauge to the British-built units?
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Carim  
#107 Posted : 07 March 2023 13:06:19(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   

Kimball

Yes. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_Class_66

Carim
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline H0  
#108 Posted : 07 March 2023 13:21:04(UTC)
H0

So are other class 66 in Continental Europe and Scandinavia built to a different loading gauge to the British-built units?
I learned that class 66 were built near London.
London, Ontario, that is.
I don't know if some "continental" class 66 have air condition that is too big for UK loading gauge, but otherwise they are all the same size AFAIK.
AFAIK all class 66 are built for left-hand driving. Locos built for Germany use right-hand driving.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline bph  
#109 Posted : 07 March 2023 14:22:32(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I learned that class 66 were built near London.
London, Ontario, that is.
I don't know if some "continental" class 66 have air condition that is too big for UK loading gauge, but otherwise they are all the same size AFAIK.
AFAIK all class 66 are built for left-hand driving. Locos built for Germany use right-hand driving.

Some continental class 66 has been sold to the UK, and modified for the UK lines. and it seems like the AC units have been removed. https://www.mainlinediesels.net/index.php?nav=1000677&lang=en&id=10449&action=shownews

there were plans for a Class 66EU version to fit the UIC 505-1 loading gauge, but it was cancelled.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kiwiAlan  
#110 Posted : 07 March 2023 16:21:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

That is so much smaller than continental and Norway.
And smaller than Denmark where I observed quite large trains.

Kimball

Marklin had a whole piece about the size of the Class 66, and how it was originally designed for UK loading gauge, and then migrated to the continent without changing size. It is in the NI brochure where Marklin first announced the Class 66, about 5 years ago now.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline bph  
#111 Posted : 08 March 2023 23:33:37(UTC)
bph

Norway   
the Flying Scotsman with Orient Express/Pullman coaches might be somewhat "realistic" after all.

The flying Scotsman can be seen in the movie "102 dalmatians" pulling the "Orient Express" (later in the movie it is replaced by the 73082 Camelot)

watch from 0:55 and 1:52
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kiwiAlan  
#112 Posted : 09 March 2023 01:02:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
the Flying Scotsman with Orient Express/Pullman coaches might be somewhat "realistic" after all.

The flying Scotsman can be seen in the movie "102 dalmatians" pulling the "Orient Express" (later in the movie it is replaced by the 73082 Camelot)

Yeah, and 73082 is pulling some very non-Pullman coaches ... Blink Blink

Nice bit of start up wheel slip from Flying Scotsman, and niceky caught as well. BigGrin BigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline steventrain  
#113 Posted : 10 March 2023 21:10:34(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Due in shop October-December 2023.

Marklin database show Q4/2023.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline steventrain  
#114 Posted : 10 March 2023 23:30:22(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I notice model have chimny too high and BR Chest too large on tender.

I will email to marklin to sort out and correct it.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Goofy  
#115 Posted : 11 March 2023 10:28:55(UTC)
Goofy

Cost a bit over €600,00 in Sweden.
I pass over since there is no details about railway carriage for the steam locomotive.
Collector may be interested to get this loco.
It´s afterall just only one time series model.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline bph  
#116 Posted : 11 March 2023 11:36:19(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Are there any suitable Australian HO coaches?. E.g Model of coaches that was actually used on the Australian trip?.

And as a side note, when the Flying Scotsman returned from Australia to the UK, the voyage went around the Cape Horn, making it the first (and only?) steam locomotive to circumnavigate the earth Cool
Offline Carim  
#117 Posted : 11 March 2023 11:49:55(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Personally, I wouldn't get too worried about what carriages you run with this loco. The model is based on how the loco looks now; so when it runs on steam specials it will pull any carriage that is approved to run on the current network (typically versions of UK Mk.I carriages). But I have even seen steam specials with air conditioned coaches in the rake. On heritage railways, almost anything goes.

Carim
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline steventrain  
#118 Posted : 11 March 2023 20:53:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have email from local model shop offer me for £495.

I reply email to him to put add to my order.ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Online kimballthurlow  
#119 Posted : 12 March 2023 09:54:22(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Are there any suitable Australian HO coaches?. E.g Model of coaches that was actually used on the Australian trip?.

And as a side note, when the Flying Scotsman returned from Australia to the UK, the voyage went around the Cape Horn, making it the first (and only?) steam locomotive to circumnavigate the earth Cool

Hello bph,
Thanks for the information.
I like the circumnavigation story.

Yes there are many Australian railway coaches in the model shops here, mostly HO scale.
Whether specifically they ran behind the Flying Scotsman I could not say.
But from my scant knowledge mostly NSW Gov Rlwy coaches were used behind the engine.
There are plenty of steam era models of these coach types.
Lima made some years ago, and then there are other local brands available, some in kit form.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline danmarklinman  
#120 Posted : 12 March 2023 10:27:38(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Personally, I wouldn't get too worried about what carriages you run with this loco. The model is based on how the loco looks now; so when it runs on steam specials it will pull any carriage that is approved to run on the current network (typically versions of UK Mk.I carriages). But I have even seen steam specials with air conditioned coaches in the rake. On heritage railways, almost anything goes.

Carim

Yes, and actually it’s entirely legit, as to those outside the U.K perhaps don’t know. And it’s not far from me is a steam railway at Peterborough called the Nene Valley Railway. This railway features a small amount of European steam and coaches bought in in the 1970s
The railway use to be a base for a lot of TV and films made there. James Bond ect, as well as tvs secret army. Most of the coaches are of Belgium and Swedish origin. The engines are Danish, Swedish and German. Although most if not all German locos returned to Europe. Marklin last surprise loco, the DSB machine can be found there in a rather it has to be said sorry state.
I have a picture of myself as a teenager standing in the cab of a German tank engine, class 64 or 80. I’m not sure which? Here’s some pics.
https://transportsofdeli...LLEY-RAILWAY/i-TjSCCnp/A
Swedish 996 at Rail World at the end of the line? Dan.
https://flic.kr/p/21ag7NT
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4615876
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline bph  
#121 Posted : 12 March 2023 15:45:19(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

perhaps Märklin mixed up some chimney measurements.....? The flying Scotsman was originally built to fit the GNR loading gauge, but when it received a new boiler in 1928 it was converted to the slightly smaller LNER loading gauge. The height of the chimney, dome and some other things was reduced. Were there different dimensions on the double chimney also? or is it down to the perspective and camera angles of the photos?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Online kimballthurlow  
#122 Posted : 13 March 2023 07:23:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

perhaps Märklin mixed up some chimney measurements.....? The flying Scotsman was originally built to fit the GNR loading gauge, but when it received a new boiler in 1928 it was converted to the slightly smaller LNER loading gauge. The height of the chimney, dome and some other things was reduced. Were there different dimensions on the double chimney also? or is it down to the perspective and camera angles of the photos?

You are correct bph.
Flying Scotsman as an A1 then an A3 (originally #1472, then #4472, then #103, then #60103) has had as many boiler and detail changes as number changes.

In fact I can quote from a member of an LNER group as follows:
"Flying Scotsman and the then A3 classes started having Double Chimneys fitted from 1958 and some with A4 Boilers about the same time/period.
See https://www.lner.info/locos/A/a1a3a10.php " end of quote

Maybe Märklin have the chimney on the mock-up wrong - although as you put it, perspective and camera angles do play a part in our perceptions.
Stephen says the British Railways crest/insignia on the tender appears too large.
Other comments on the LNER group ask why the rivets or bolt-heads show along the top of the boiler when this is usually plain curve of sheet metal?
The problem is we don't know what Märklin knows, they have probably had measurement and CAD input from live sources at the York Museum.

Kimball
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline bph  
#123 Posted : 13 March 2023 15:11:55(UTC)
bph

Norway   

You are correct bph.
Flying Scotsman as an A1 then an A3 (originally #1472, then #4472, then #103, then #60103) has had as many boiler and detail changes as number changes.

In fact I can quote from a member of an LNER group as follows:
"Flying Scotsman and the then A3 classes started having Double Chimneys fitted from 1958 and some with A4 Boilers about the same time/period.
See https://www.lner.info/locos/A/a1a3a10.php " end of quote

Maybe Märklin have the chimney on the mock-up wrong - although as you put it, perspective and camera angles do play a part in our perceptions.
Stephen says the British Railways crest/insignia on the tender appears too large.
Other comments on the LNER group ask why the rivets or bolt-heads show along the top of the boiler when this is usually plain curve of sheet metal?
The problem is we don't know what Märklin knows, they have probably had measurement and CAD input from live sources at the York Museum.

Kimball

Hi
I have a nice book about the flying Scotsman, even if it's small it's quite good. (got it several years ago) https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Scotsman-Story/dp/075249452X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1678707791&sr=8-1

The book list that the flying Scotsman is currently on the 19th boiler. and that it also had the number #502 for two weeks before it got the #103 number. It was also classed as A10 from 1975 to 1947. The double chimney has also been on and off a couple of times.......

The bolt-heads on the top of the boiler seem to be prototypical, but it seems that Marklin has made them too big. Hopefully, if there actually are minor scale issues they are corrected on the final production model.
FS_boiler_s.jpg
FS_res.jpg

and an interesting triple-header video showing Flying Scotsman and the R 707 and R 761 broad gauge locomotives. It was part of an April Fool's day joke in 1989, to give the impression that the Flying Scotsman had been converted to Australian broad gauge. Flying Scotsman did also haul the broad gauge train alone. Read more in the video description.
Online kimballthurlow  
#124 Posted : 14 March 2023 11:11:33(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thanks bph for that information.
Steam locomotives are quite a complex bit of kit, with major overhauls from 5 to 10 years apart.
And sometimes they fit new boilers, axles and wheel tyres, re-sleeve cylinders and recondition moving parts and valves, and inlet and exhaust passages.
I don't know if that includes new fire-boxes.

When I started work in the bush in Queensland my boss told me to be careful of the old axe because it had belonged to his grandfather.
One of the older employees spoke up shamelessly and said "Yes but the axe has had 2 new heads and 8 new handles since your grandfather owned it."
So it is not really your grandads' axe at all .... he he".

Steam locomotives are a bit like that.

Kimball
Offline kiwiAlan  
#125 Posted : 14 March 2023 15:32:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I don't know if that includes new fire-boxes.

because of the way the firebox is essentially an integral part of the boiler I think you will find that a boiler replacement includes the firebox.

Offline steventrain  
#126 Posted : 16 March 2023 21:15:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Marklin database show all sold out.

Very high demands collector item right now.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline vilithejou  
#127 Posted : 17 March 2023 05:15:51(UTC)
vilithejou

Yes.. but only in 3Rail ... 2Rail version still available

Joan Vilarrúbia
vilithejou@yahoo.es
Fan of Märklín, Kroko lover
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by vilithejou
Offline AntoinePrt  
#128 Posted : 19 March 2023 05:57:53(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Originally Posted by: vilithejou Go to Quoted Post

Yes.. but only in 3Rail ... 2Rail version still available

That’s why Steven said Marklin database and not Trix …
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline AntoinePrt  
#129 Posted : 25 April 2023 09:15:06(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Good morning all,

For your information:
I’ve sent an email to Märklin in March to highlight the fact that there was a mistake on the tender regarding the British Railways logo. On the renderings of the Flying Scotsman, the logo is too big compared to the true scale model.

image0.jpeg
image5.jpeg

I’ve received a reply from Märklin on the 14th of April saying that I was right and that it would be corrected.

IMG_0334.jpeg

And during the Intermodellbau in Dortmund, what could be seen??
A Flying Scotsman with the correct logo on the tender!!

IMG_0440.jpeg
IMG_0441.jpeg
IMG_0443.jpeg

You’re very welcome BigGrin

Cheers.

Antoine
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline bph  
#130 Posted : 25 April 2023 12:05:14(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: AntoinePrt Go to Quoted Post
Good morning all,

For your information:
I’ve sent an email to Märklin in March to highlight the fact that there was a mistake on the tender regarding the British Railways logo. On the renderings of the Flying Scotsman, the logo is too big compared to the true scale model.

I’ve received a reply from Märklin on the 14th of April saying that I was right and that it would be corrected.

And during the Intermodellbau in Dortmund, what could be seen??
A Flying Scotsman with the correct logo on the tender!!

IMG_0441.jpeg

You’re very welcome BigGrin

Cheers.

Antoine

Thanks, great work ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Online kimballthurlow  
#131 Posted : 26 April 2023 13:04:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
....On the renderings of the Flying Scotsman, the logo is too big compared to the true scale model...

Cheers.

Antoine

Hello Antoine,
I would never have noticed that.

From the photos you supplied I wonder if the chimney on the model is a little too high ....
It is hard to tell without the engineering drawings and the model itself ....

Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline AntoinePrt  
#132 Posted : 26 April 2023 14:00:00(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
....On the renderings of the Flying Scotsman, the logo is too big compared to the true scale model...

Cheers.

Antoine

Hello Antoine,

From the photos you supplied I wonder if the chimney on the model is a little too high ....

Kimball

Hello Kimball,

The chimney looks indeed too « thick ».
But it’s mould related so I think it will be very complicated to change.

I’ve asked the question. We’ll see if they reply.

A.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline steventrain  
#133 Posted : 26 April 2023 18:29:40(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   

Got email from Marklin today and it said will pass to team to sort it out.

Marklin said the some customer service email staff has sick, It will take extra 1-2 months time to reply.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline AntoinePrt  
#134 Posted : 02 May 2023 13:33:35(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   

Cheers.

Antoine

Hello Antoine,

Kimball

Hello Kimball,

The chimney looks indeed too « thick ».
But it’s mould related so I think it will be very complicated to change.

I’ve asked the question. We’ll see if they reply.

A.

Hello,

Answer received from Märklin today.
IMG_0581.jpeg

A.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline kiwiAlan  
#135 Posted : 02 May 2023 23:09:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The funnel on Flying Scotsman is quite a size. The magazine that I listed earlier in this thread has a picture of the funnel, after it had been obtained from another loco in the series, and used as a garden ornament with children standing in the two funnels. I'll see if i can arrange a copy of the picture.

Offline bph  
#136 Posted : 03 May 2023 12:11:19(UTC)
bph

Norway   
indeed it seems like the chimney is not quite right.
note also the angled flange step on the model and the curved flange step on the original. (on the chimney top)
UserPostedImage
Chimney.jpg
Chimney2.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline steventrain  
#137 Posted : 03 May 2023 17:54:39(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Did Marklin team trip to England for flying scotsman for measured, camera etc? I know Marklin team not going because of Brexit?
Hornby have done measured every locos and others.

It look like this.

mg_0521.jpg

mg_0516.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline mbarreto  
#138 Posted : 05 May 2023 13:08:57(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

The sound of silence.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#139 Posted : 15 May 2023 07:30:30(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
indeed it seems like the chimney is not quite right.
note also the angled flange step on the model and the curved flange step on the original. (on the chimney top)
UserPostedImage
Chimney.jpg
Chimney2.jpg

To me it looks proportionally too tall but no model is perfect. If you start looking for defects you will find them. Once the tooling is done which is clearly the case here I'll be surprised they modify it unless the mistake is massive. If you look at the Hornby version it doesn't look perfect either and I know which one I prefer of the two.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline dickinsonj  
#140 Posted : 16 May 2023 01:48:30(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
My question isn't really about how Marklin designed this pretty loco. It is about who designed this beauty?

Don't get me wrong - it is gorgeous, but it would be nice to know if this is a Marklin loco or not.

Another BLI coop venture? I was not impressed by the UP #844 which IMO is not up to normal Marklin standards.

I doubt that there is even a way to determine who designed and made this loco in advance.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bryan  
#141 Posted : 16 May 2023 02:43:56(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All
In regards to whether the Marklin Flying Scotman FS is Marklin, I do know a little. I was there at Goppingen recently and the FS was being finalised in the development department. It was being endurance tested on a special test track of helical spiral's in an unpainted condition. Impressive were the boiler bands made of brass as a seperate fitting. On the manufacturing side in the factory, it can be seen that all the plating for all models is done there. Same for all the wheels, all done in Goppingen. I expect these two manufacturing processes are done in Germany to keep the quality in these critical areas. As for most of the FS assemblies, they come from everywhere. Final assembly can be either China or Gyor. The impression to me was that it is a very special model, best from Marklin in many years. Below is a graphic of the prototype in the Marklineum, absolutely surpurb.

Marklin Flying Scotsman prototype.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline dickinsonj  
#142 Posted : 16 May 2023 03:18:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Thanks Bryan - that is good to know. It certainly is a beautiful loco that anyone would be proud to own.

It makes you wonder if this new approach from Marklin might mean some coaches for it as well.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline H0  
#143 Posted : 16 May 2023 08:07:27(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
On the manufacturing side in the factory, it can be seen that all the plating for all models is done there. Same for all the wheels, all done in Goppingen.
Ah, it can be seen.

I had a guided tour through the factory, but I only saw that "some" of the wheels where done there, but cannot confirm that "all" of the wheels where done there. Same for other components.

Several Märklin models are the results of "cooperations" and your "Same for all the wheels, all done in Goppingen" surely does not apply to such cooperation models.

I would not bet that all "surprise" models have wheels made in Göppingen. The Chinese do know how to make zinc die cast parts and have shown that with many "Märklin" models in the past.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Online kimballthurlow  
#144 Posted : 16 May 2023 10:14:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

To me it looks proportionally too tall but no model is perfect. If you start looking for defects you will find them. Once the tooling is done which is clearly the case here I'll be surprised they modify it unless the mistake is massive. If you look at the Hornby version it doesn't look perfect either and I know which one I prefer of the two.

I think one of the problems facing the model maker, is which iteration of a locomotive do you model.
The above photos of the real Flying Scotsman are a case in point.
When were these photos taken?
5 years ago?
15 years ago?
As we have been told on this forum, the FS has had many rebuilds/iterations since 1923, and how could we tell what the chimney looks like NOW.

Kimball

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline dickinsonj  
#145 Posted : 16 May 2023 12:48:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I would not bet that all "surprise" models have wheels made in Göppingen.

All of the "surprise" models that I have were made in China, along with most of my high feature locos which were not Insider models.

I stopped caring about that until I bought the 37984 UP loco, which was actually designed by BLI and built in China with Märklin electronics. That loco does not meet my standards and I don't want another loco designed and built by another company with only the electronics from Märklin.

That is why I decided not to get the new UP diesels which I already know are BLI models with Märklin markings on them. I'm not sure that there is any way to know that going forward however.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline bph  
#146 Posted : 16 May 2023 15:32:32(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post

I think one of the problems facing the model maker, is which iteration of a locomotive do you model.
The above photos of the real Flying Scotsman are a case in point.
When were these photos taken?
5 years ago?
15 years ago?
As we have been told on this forum, the FS has had many rebuilds/iterations since 1923, and how could we tell what the chimney looks like NOW.

Kimball

I believe the workshop pictures are from various stages during the 2006–2016 restoration, the apple green one is probably from the start or the heavy intermediate repair in 2004-2005.
the picture from the platform is from 2016 and after the restoration, and it is how the chimney looks now.
During 2006–2016 restoration it received a "new" boiler, but was the smokebox kept/restored??. (the double chimney was restored around 1998).

And I can live perfectly fine with the locomotive as pictured by Marklin, its I minor but interesting detail :)

and this graphic illustration is quite nice. It's posted several places on the net so hopefully, it's okay to repost it here.
UserPostedImage
Online kimballthurlow  
#147 Posted : 30 May 2023 08:36:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Here are two images of a Hornby 1:76 (OO) model which is effectively the same machine as the new Märklin 1:87 (HO) scale version.
The White Knight is #60077 whereas The Flying Scotsman is #60103.
There were many variations of the A3 running at any one time.
#60077 and #60103 had the vacuum pipe running along the left side of the boiler where the driver sat on the left side.
Others had the pipe on the right side, and the driver sat on the right side of the cab.

Note the chimney.

Taken from a Youtube video.
UserPostedImage

Taken from a vendors (Hattons) website.
UserPostedImage

Kimball
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline bph  
#148 Posted : 26 June 2023 17:41:23(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post

Mallard broke after its high speed run (downhill) and therefore some consider any record null and void.

I always get the feeling that the record should be void because it was running down hill at the time of setting it. I don't think the Br05 was running downhill when it set the record that Mallard broke.

An interesting article about the subject: WAS GERMAN 05 002 THE WORLD'S FASTEST STEAM LOCO?

Thanks for the link, an interesting read indeed. ThumpUp

The Magazine, Back Track has an interesting article, in the August edition from 2018. In the article, the author studies the original dynamometer roll from Mallard's record run and makes some interesting discoveries. the main one is that the roll speed is not constant, but varies in a sinuous wave. and when the sped graph is corrected for this, it shows that the Malllard managed a sustained maximum speed of 124mph. (the new corrected graph seems to be quite realistic in my opinion). The fault after the record run seems also to be less serious, as it continued to Peterborough at 70 to 75mph, according to the speed rolls. Later examination showed that the brasses on the inside crank pin needed only to be re-metalled and that no other damage was done.

Even if the original dynamometer roll from the Flying Scotsman is not available, the author also analyzes the available data and estimates that the Flying Scotsman made around 98 mph (and Papyrus 106mph).

Edited by user 27 June 2023 10:43:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Timnomads  
#149 Posted : 03 July 2023 09:36:20(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi
Looking at the photos of the model and the real life photographs, I am concerned about the copper pipe work on the front which is a very unrealistic light brown. In the real life photos it is much duller, I do hope they change the colour to a more realistic one.
Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#150 Posted : 03 July 2023 15:46:05(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Looking at the photos of the model and the real life photographs, I am concerned about the copper pipe work on the front which is a very unrealistic light brown. In the real life photos it is much duller, I do hope they change the colour to a more realistic one.
Tim

Hi Tim.

I understand you are refering to the computer generated pictures of the model. I agree with you, this copper shade is very unrealistic.
On the other hand, looking at photos of the real pre production model (Antoine posted), I feel that the shade used there, is more acceptable...
Let's wait and see ...

I ordered mine from the first day it went public and I am very happy with this new turn Marklin made....

So far, I always add real - true to scale coal to all my steamers (because I do not like the plastic coal of most models). If the copper shade is not acceptable ... then ... no problem ... it will be one more task to do ... repaint the copper pipes with a realistic shade BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I am sure though, it will be just fine as it is...

With Best Regards
Paris

Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by ParisTsirchoglou