Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#51 Posted : 26 February 2023 01:10:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Mman Go to Quoted Post
There are always the Fleischmann Bulleid H0 coaches and I would rather see a Southern Merchant Navy than LNER stuff, but I get the anniversary angle.
Mallard broke after its high speed run (downhill) and therefore some consider any record null and void.
A3s are interesting looking locos certainly whilst A4s are a bit dull.
ChrisG

Yes.
And also the Rivarossi LMS coaches done in HO 1:87 which are usually available on the internet.
Not particularly appropriate for an LNER or BR engine but no worse than the Edelweiss set.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#52 Posted : 26 February 2023 04:32:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Someone forgot to polish the copper pipesBigGrin
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline AntoinePrt  
#53 Posted : 26 February 2023 07:15:20(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Why not?
If Flying Scotsman are made in China the prices of the model are not fair.
The scale of the model must be 1:76 since in UK they use it.
The prototype in UK are bigger than in Europe.
This next side of the same scale of the track.
If Märklin present new model made in China i wonder if model railer are ready to pay lot of the model that is not correct in the scale too?

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
I am puzzled by this one.
How can it be feasible to do a 1:87 (announcement clearly states this!) version of this one??? I dont think there is any running stock to put behind it...
Yet, many of you guys say that you will order it. What gives???

Hello,

What is the problem people have with Märklin making a H0 edition of a British locomotive instead of OO!?

Instead of seeing the glass half empty, can’t you just see it half full?

Märklin does NOT plan to enter a competition with Hornby and co. Clearly the target isn’t the british market. They wish continental train enthusiasts to get the opportunity to own one of the most famous locomotive in the world and to run it on their layout. It’s as simple as that. Great Britain is the land that created the trains. You should be happy to get a British model, that fits the gauge you use in Europe and elsewhere. It’s a collectible, no doubts here.

They dare to do something in this way. It’s courageous as I do not see other train manufacturers taking this kind of risk.

The question of what should we put behind isn’t a question for a Märklin enthusiast. Indeed the notion of consistency with Märklin’s rolling stock and the association they make with locomotives isn’t their cup of tea. There are sufficient examples showing that the wagons/carriages they sometimes put behind a locomotive are not what would have been done in the real life.

Forget about the consistency, focus on the game. That’s the spirit!

A.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline Bryan  
#54 Posted : 26 February 2023 09:54:32(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear all

To quote from another source about the Marklin Flying Scotsman “ Good model however expected certainly in the area of the Cartazzi axle underneath the cab to be better”. Is this true.?? Does not worry myself, beautiful diecast model in any league and first UK Marklin model. Bit like when the Marklin Big Boy arrived for USA. Change of course for Marklin.

David
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline bph  
#55 Posted : 26 February 2023 11:22:49(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Mallard broke after its high speed run (downhill) and therefore some consider any record null and void.

I always get the feeling that the record should be void because it was running down hill at the time of setting it. I don't think the Br05 was running downhill when it set the record that Mallard broke.

An interesting article about the subject: WAS GERMAN 05 002 THE WORLD'S FASTEST STEAM LOCO?

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kiwiAlan  
#56 Posted : 26 February 2023 12:48:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

I always get the feeling that the record should be void because it was running down hill at the time of setting it. I don't think the Br05 was running downhill when it set the record that Mallard broke.

An interesting article about the subject: WAS GERMAN 05 002 THE WORLD'S FASTEST STEAM LOCO?

Thanks for the link, an interesting read indeed. ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
bph
Offline Goofy  
#57 Posted : 26 February 2023 19:30:27(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: AntoinePrt Go to Quoted Post

Why not?
If Märklin present new model made in China i wonder if model railer are ready to pay lot of the model that is not correct in the scale too?

How can it be feasible to do a 1:87 (announcement clearly states this!) version of this one??? I dont think there is any running stock to put behind it...

Hello,

What is the problem people have with Märklin making a H0 edition of a British locomotive instead of OO!?

Märklin does NOT plan to enter a competition with Hornby and co. Clearly the target isn’t the british market. They wish continental train enthusiasts to get the opportunity to own one of the most famous locomotive in the world and to run it on their layout. It’s as simple as that. Great Britain is the land that created the trains. You should be happy to get a British model, that fits the gauge you use in Europe and elsewhere. It’s a collectible, no doubts here.

They dare to do something in this way. It’s courageous as I do not see other train manufacturers taking this kind of risk.

The question of what should we put behind isn’t a question for a Märklin enthusiast. Indeed the notion of consistency with Märklin’s rolling stock and the association they make with locomotives isn’t their cup of tea. There are sufficient examples showing that the wagons/carriages they sometimes put behind a locomotive are not what would have been done in the real life.

A.

You miss the point...the english prototype are bigger than European and in fact does result as scale 1:76 and this is important for the english railer to have correct scale Flying Scotsman for their english layout.
I don´t believe Märklins english model in the wrong scale will become success in UK.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline AntoinePrt  
#58 Posted : 26 February 2023 20:38:13(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   

Why not?

Hello,

A.

You miss the point...the english prototype are bigger than European and in fact does result as scale 1:76 and this is important for the english railer to have correct scale Flying Scotsman for their english layout.
I don´t believe Märklins english model in the wrong scale will become success in UK.

Hello Goofy,

Did you read what I wrote!?!?
The Märklin version of the Flying Scotsman is NOT meant for the British market!!!
There is therefore no point at making it in OO!

A.

Edited by user 27 February 2023 03:38:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline kimballthurlow  
#59 Posted : 26 February 2023 23:59:49(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

You miss the point...the english prototype are bigger than European and .....

Hello Goofy

As Alan has previously indicated, that statement is totally incorrect.
I am quoting from Molesworth's Handbook of Engineering 1951 Edition, which was first published in 1862.
These people know!
These are the loading gauge heights for:
British standard - 15 feet 0 inches.
Continental (including Germany, France etc) - 15 feet 9 inches
The British is lower by 9 inches = 228.6mm.
The USA and Russia and others are even larger again.

Loading gauge widths over bodies are:
British standard - 9 feet 8 inches
Continental - 8 feet 7 inches
The British is wider by 13 inches = 330mm

But ..... at the extremities of the loading gauge widths the height changes to the following:
British standard - 10 feet 6 inches
Continental - 12 feet
The British is lower by 1 foot 6 inches = 457mm

And as for 1:76 scale there are many reasons (or theories) why that happened but effectively it makes English models larger than HO models.
1:76 is larger than 1:87 by a factor of 12.6% if you use 87 as the base.
Scale may be material for marketing purposes, but not for deciding whether a model is good or bad.

Kimball

Edited by user 27 February 2023 04:56:26(UTC)  | Reason: added height data at body extremities

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline danmarklinman  
#60 Posted : 27 February 2023 07:40:03(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I think 00 happened on 1/87 scale track because the electric motors of the time were too large to fit into British locos. And Goofy or what ever your reel name is. You are missing the point!! A HO model of the flying Scotsman makes it all in proportion and not a 1/76 narrow gauge Scotsman. By the way. Please don’t assume all British people will not buy one. LOL LOL LOL LOL There’s enough of us and the rest of the English speaking world who quite clearly are pleased to see one. Fill your glass!!!!
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#61 Posted : 27 February 2023 09:22:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
...Goofy or what ever your reel name is.

Anders!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline David Dewar  
#62 Posted : 27 February 2023 11:27:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Me Being Scottish as Goofy says it’s an English model I won’t be buying it. Lol.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kiwiAlan  
#63 Posted : 27 February 2023 11:36:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Me Being Scottish as Goofy says it’s an English model I won’t be buying it. Lol.

Oh, so it never hauled trains to and from Edinburgh ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#64 Posted : 27 February 2023 12:07:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Well, the discounting is underway.

Hunerbein are showing 10% ...

Modellbahn-Kramm are showing 11.72% ...

Modellbahnshop-Lippe are showing 40 Euro off ...

And the prospect is here (English)

Other languages at https://www.maerklin.de/de/lp/2023/flying-scotsman

Check out Rails of Sheffield available to preorder Marklin/Trix with 10% discount.

RAILS OF SHEFFIELD

ETS are advertising the Flying Scotsman at 489.99 €, that's a 22.1% discount

https://www.modelleisenb...shop/index.php?s=1-39968

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#65 Posted : 27 February 2023 12:11:37(UTC)
H0

Wasn't that the Flying Dutchman?
Scotland? Isn't that a town in Europe? Or was it Belgium?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bryan  
#66 Posted : 27 February 2023 13:46:19(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
According to a German supplier, the Flying Scotsman is sold out for quarter 4/23, still taking orders for quarter 1/24. Yes, this loco is going to be a quick sellout.

David
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#67 Posted : 27 February 2023 14:13:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I may be more tempted by the "Mallard"

Musing about this, I won't be surprised if they do Mallard for the anniversary of the speed record run ... Blink Blink Blink Cool

[edit]
and guess what loco happens to be the subject of tonights "Hornby: A Model World" ... BigGrin
[/edit]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline franciscohg  
#68 Posted : 27 February 2023 14:51:29(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
According to a German supplier, the Flying Scotsman is sold out for quarter 4/23, still taking orders for quarter 1/24. Yes, this loco is going to be a quick sellout.

David

Pretty good for a "nonsense" locomotive......

UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline franciscohg  
#69 Posted : 27 February 2023 14:53:32(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Well, i did order one,it seems to be a nice h0 machine. if it was announced in 00 i would certainly not ordered it.
If you want to sell a locomotive worldwide there would be a nonsense to make it in scale that is mainly used in UK.
They main market of Marklin still is Germany, i dont know how popular 00 scale is there.
I am sure it will be a best seller, chinese or not. So far i am very happy with chinese surprise models.
Regards

Hi Dreileiters , Hallo Francisco,
I agree with you Francisco Flying Scotsman A3 will be good looking consist with Edelweiss set.
On pair with French class 231 , Baden IVH and Austrian CL 310 so My A3 is on order and I would have all corners covered for CIWL run…
Btw:How is your BR10 running… ?
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn

Hello!!!!!
BR10 is running well!!!!
Regards

UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline bph  
#70 Posted : 27 February 2023 15:40:39(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Wasn't that the Flying Dutchman?
Scotland? Isn't that a town in Europe? Or was it Belgium?

The Flying Dutchman, GWR 3031 Class, no 3009 Wink (first locomotives in the clas were built as broad gauge (2140mm), and with the possibility to convert them to standard gauge later.
Flying_Dutchman_.jpg
flying_dutchman.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline H0  
#71 Posted : 27 February 2023 15:56:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
The Flying Dutchman
Fake news: The Flying Dutchman is a ship. (I didn't know there also was a loco.)
BTW: Märklin hasn't made any surprise ships in a long time.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
bph
Offline Goofy  
#72 Posted : 27 February 2023 17:16:03(UTC)
Goofy

Märklin show themselves by produce in wrong scale and present it as scale 1:87.
What Märklin should do is to offert english model railroader in scale 1:76 about Flying Scotsman.
In UK they use scale 1:76 and that in both locomotive and the wagons.
Märklin provided by self produce wrong scale of the railway carriage.
Do you even think they would present english wagons in scale 1:76 or should it been scale 1:93,5??
Or even worse...scale 1:100?
We have common together with the english model railroader about the tracks and it´s same gauge in H0.
But not the locomotives and the wagons.

Cool
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline mbarreto  
#73 Posted : 27 February 2023 17:31:54(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Just for curiosity, Flying Dutchman is also a dinghy one class design that was Olympic until 1992. A super dinghy for experienced and heavier sailors.

Currently there are more modern, faster dinghies like for example the 49er.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline marklinist5999  
#74 Posted : 27 February 2023 17:37:37(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Nice! reminds me of the race to Mackinaw from Port Huron!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mvd71  
#75 Posted : 27 February 2023 17:48:31(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
What Märklin should do is to offert english model railroader in scale 1:76 about Flying Scotsman.
In UK they use scale 1:76 and that in both locomotive and the wagons.
Märklin provided by self produce wrong scale of the railway carriage.
Do you even think they would present english wagons in scale 1:76 or should it been scale 1:93,5??
We have common together with the english model railroader about the tracks and it´s same gauge in H0.
But not the locomotives and the wagons.

Cool

I would agree that 1:76 would be great for all the People in the UK modelling with other brands in 1:76.

However is it possible it would then be too large for the tunnels etc on peoples layouts in continental Europe? And this is Märklin’s larger current market.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline rbonet  
#76 Posted : 27 February 2023 18:00:34(UTC)
rbonet

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Well, the discounting is underway.

Hunerbein are showing 10% ...

Modellbahn-Kramm are showing 11.72% ...

Modellbahnshop-Lippe are showing 40 Euro off ...

And the prospect is here (English)

Other languages at https://www.maerklin.de/de/lp/2023/flying-scotsman

Check out Rails of Sheffield available to preorder Marklin/Trix with 10% discount.

RAILS OF SHEFFIELD

There is some mistake on the ETS advertising. They say that the RRP is 629€ and this is wrong. The RRP is 589€. The 22.1% percent is the discount if you buy at 489.99€ something priced at 629€. However, if you buy at 489.99€ something priced at 589€ the discount is 16.81%, not too bad, but less than 22.1%.

Regards,
Rafael
Collecting Era I, II & III, mainly German, French & Spanish RR, some USA
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbonet
Offline danmarklinman  
#77 Posted : 27 February 2023 19:58:04(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   

Musing about this, I won't be surprised if they do Mallard for the anniversary of the speed record run ... Blink Blink Blink Cool

[edit]
and guess what loco happens to be the subject of tonights "Hornby: A Model World" ... BigGrin
[/edit]

I don’t want to wait until 2038 LOL LOL LOL
I’ll be happy with any more British HO though 👍
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#78 Posted : 27 February 2023 20:01:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rbonet Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

There is some mistake on the ETS advertising. They say that the RRP is 629€ and this is wrong. The RRP is 589€. The 22.1% percent is the discount if you buy at 489.99€ something priced at 629€. However, if you buy at 489.99€ something priced at 589€ the discount is 16.81%, not too bad, but less than 22.1%.

Regards,
Rafael

Hmm, I am getting a discount of 15% from my regular supplier (some here will remember who that is).

Makes the price very attractive when it doesn't have the German MWsT BigGrin BigGrin
Offline franciscohg  
#79 Posted : 27 February 2023 21:27:21(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Oh..... Me too.... Perhaps it is the same dealer... Lol
Offline prba4650  
#80 Posted : 27 February 2023 21:48:49(UTC)
prba4650

United Kingdom   

Many steam locos used by Railways in England were manufactured in Scotland by the likes of North British. Conversely, many steam locos used in Scotland were manufactured in England. Best to check your layout carefully and chuck out anything with the wrong connections!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by prba4650
Offline kimballthurlow  
#81 Posted : 28 February 2023 00:42:12(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
These are the loading gauge heights for:
British standard - 15 feet 0 inches.
Continental (including Germany, France etc) - 15 feet 9 inches
Loading gauge widths over bodies are:
British standard - 9 feet 8 inches
Continental - 8 feet 7 inches

Kimball

Further to this I am also a member of an English LNER discussion group.
(The Flying Scotsman was an LNER engine).
Here is what one of the members says about the English loading gauge:
"There were variations between the various private companies, but by the grouping in 1923 maximum height was generally between 13' and 13'6", maximum width 9'."

Definitely British engines were quite a deal smaller than most in Europe.
Kimball

Offline H0  
#82 Posted : 28 February 2023 09:02:20(UTC)
H0

There are several examples for that.

Märklin locos are usually 1:87 in height and Märklin coaches are usually 1:87 in height.
Coaches can be 1:87 or 1:93.5 or 1:120 in length, their height is still usually 1:87. Sometimes the width is not 1:87.

Since they show the loco with Edelweiss coaches, I assume the loco is 1:87 in height and length.
The Harry Potter coaches could be 1:76.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline AJH4  
#83 Posted : 28 February 2023 15:33:40(UTC)
AJH4

United States   
With the tooling now done, even if a limited run, it would be nice to bring back the Hogwarts Express the right way this time since it is essentially the same locomotive. Still looks great in the original green, but having to cobble together a full set will require some work.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AJH4
Offline kiwiAlan  
#84 Posted : 28 February 2023 19:21:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hello,

Märklin does NOT plan to enter a competition with Hornby and co. Clearly the target isn’t the british market.

I'm not so sure about your assumption about Marklin not wishing to compete with Hornby ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I decided to take some pictures with various combinations of H0 and OO items I have.

To start with, a Hornby Merchant Class loco - New Zealand Line from the R2300 Bournemouth Belle set - someone in this thread mentioned wanting a Merchant Class ... ThumpUp
The tender is correctly coupled to the loco, so no comments on the gap please ... Angry

IMG_5976.JPG

Next is a Hornby Pullman coach from the same set, coupled to the loco.
Yes the couplings are properly engaged, so no comments about how far apart they are ...
IMG_5977.JPG

OK, it doesn't appear so in that photo, but the coach is actually the same height as the front portion of the tender. So the next thing to do is try a Trix/Marklin Orient Express coach, which is what I envisaged hauling behind Flying Scotsman in the absence of suitable British coaching stock.

IMG_5978.JPG

The rails along the top of the roof are just under the height of the tender front, with the roofline about 3mm lower. So the next try is a modern coach ...

IMG_5979.JPG

The roofline is near enough the same as the previous picture. Yes it is low compared to the loco, but it could work, but would be better with the Orient Express coach.

So the last test was to use a Marklin loco with a Hornby coach ...
IMG_5980.JPG

Ta dah - the mismatch isn't as obvious as I thought it would be. The loco I had to hand is the Insider Br65 from a few years ago, and I would regard as reasonably representative of H0 loco size. This leads me to believe that using the Hornby Pullman coaches with the Marklin Flying Scotsman is probably a viable solution until Marklin produce models of British prototype coaches.

Finally while glancing around the magazine rack in my local Tesco I saw this magazine.
IMG_5982.JPG
It is the February issue, and if you want a copy you will need to be real quick, as the new issue is listed as coming out March 1st.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline bph  
#85 Posted : 28 February 2023 20:07:09(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hello,

Märklin does NOT plan to enter a competition with Hornby and co. Clearly the target isn’t the british market.

I'm not so sure about your assumption about Marklin not wishing to compete with Hornby ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I decided to take some pictures with various combinations of H0 and OO items I have.

To start with, a Hornby Merchant Class loco - New Zealand Line from the R2300 Bournemouth Belle set - someone in this thread mentioned wanting a Merchant Class ... ThumpUp

Next is a Hornby Pullman coach from the same set, coupled to the loco.
Yes the couplings are properly engaged, so no comments about how far apart they are ...
IMG_5977.JPG

OK, it doesn't appear so in that photo, but the coach is actually the same height as the front portion of the tender. So the next thing to do is try a Trix/Marklin Orient Express coach, which is what I envisaged hauling behind Flying Scotsman in the absence of suitable British coaching stock.

IMG_5978.JPG

The rails along the top of the roof are just under the height of the tender front, with the roofline about 3mm lower.

So the last test was to use a Marklin loco with a Hornby coach ...
IMG_5980.JPG

Ta dah - the mismatch isn't as obvious as I thought it would be. The loco I had to hand is the Insider Br65 from a few years ago, and I would regard as reasonably representative of H0 loco size. This leads me to believe that using the Hornby Pullman coaches with the Marklin Flying Scotsman is probably a viable solution until Marklin produce models of British prototype coaches.

Finally while glancing around the magazine rack in my local Tesco I saw this magazine.
IMG_5982.JPG
It is the February issue, and if you want a copy you will need to be real quick, as the new issue is listed as coming out March 1st.

Thanks
the combination with Br65 and Hornby coach is quite interesting and fully usable. Cool
And the combination with Flying Scotsman and Orient Express coaches is not that bad and after all a British class 7 loco was used in the latest MI Dead Reckoning film with Orient Express coaches. (even if it was a mockup locomotive "disguised" as a French locomotive and the coaches were only repainted, Norwegian coaches)

PS: The Railway magazine is also available online
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline kimballthurlow  
#86 Posted : 28 February 2023 21:33:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
The Flying Scotsman at 1:87 will be quite a lot smaller than the Merchant Navy at 1:76.
(12% smaller)
And smaller than the BR65.

Some members on the English LNER group have commented on the sample images supplied by Märklin for the Flying Scotsman.
They also acknowledge that this is only a mock-up so cannot be taken as it might be in production.
1, the chimney seems too high and/or out of proportion.
2. the the front smoke-box is too small a diameter.

It would be unusual for Märklin to make a mistake in their dimensioning on the Catia 3D design platform.
Anyway I trust Märklin in the long run, and I am sure they will do full justice to this iconic locomotive model.

Kimball
Offline xxup  
#87 Posted : 01 March 2023 09:39:23(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Well. I have approval order one. Smile

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline PJMärklin  
#88 Posted : 01 March 2023 10:06:24(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Well. I have approval order one. Smile

Approval in writing ? Laugh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline xxup  
#89 Posted : 01 March 2023 10:10:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Better than that, The Dealer rang FD to confirm that the email from me was correct! Laugh

So now I have about a year to find some nice NSW H0 scale coaches.. This is the closest we will ever get to an Australian loco from Marklin..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline river6109  
#90 Posted : 01 March 2023 11:02:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Better than that, The Dealer rang FD to confirm that the email from me was correct! Laugh

So now I have about a year to find some nice NSW H0 scale coaches.. This is the closest we will ever get to an Australian loco from Marklin..

I think she went from Sydney to Perth ?, I don't think I've got any photos from her in Australia

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Purellum  
#91 Posted : 01 March 2023 11:12:09(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   

You miss the point...the english prototype are bigger than European and in fact does result as scale 1:76

Fake news LOL Laugh LOL Laugh LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge

Quoted from Wikipedia: "The loading gauge on the main lines of Great Britain, most of which were built before 1900, is generally smaller than in other countries. In mainland Europe, the slightly larger Berne gauge (Gabarit passe-partout international, PPI) was agreed to in 1913 and came into force in 1914.[2][3] As a result, British trains have noticeably and considerably smaller loading gauges and, for passenger trains, smaller interiors, despite the track being standard gauge, which is in line with much of the world.

This often results in increased costs for purchasing new trainsets or locomotives as they must be specifically designed for the existing British network, rather than being purchased "off-the-shelf". For example, the new trains for HS2 have a 50% premium applied to the "classic compatible" sets that will be "compatible" with the current (or "classic") rail network loading gauge as well as the HS2 line. The "classic compatible" trainsets will cost £40 million per trainset whereas the HS2-only stock (built to European loading gauge and only suitable to operate on HS2 lines) will cost £27M per trainset despite the HS2-only stock being physically larger.[4]"

Laugh LOL Laugh LOL Laugh

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Dimi194  
#92 Posted : 01 March 2023 12:06:28(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Just got updated with the local AU price for this one - $1500 AUD for a single loco! (The rainbow ICE set I had to cancel was going to be about $1000).

Not sure what Märklin is doing but for an engine it's truly something else 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline Timnomads  
#93 Posted : 01 March 2023 13:31:15(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

Just ordered mine from my dealer, he said that expected delivery is 2024 !!!! Crying did not know when in 2024 Crying Crying

Tim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline marklinist5999  
#94 Posted : 01 March 2023 13:42:44(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I wonder if this will ship this before the Giruno?????? We're waiting since 3 month delays.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline The Crocodile  
#95 Posted : 01 March 2023 14:53:27(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   

Märklin making a Mallard with the same detail level as this Scotsman would be amazing, a guaranteed order for me.

Although I understand it's frustrating for those of you who ordered the Scotsman, I find it very good that the demand for it is so high that they're fully booked. This means we'll probably see more locos like this in the futureBigGrin
C-track, temporary layout. I try to run my locos as much as possible:)
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by The Crocodile
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#96 Posted : 01 March 2023 15:18:04(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: The Crocodile Go to Quoted Post

Märklin making a Mallard with the same detail level as this Scotsman would be amazing, a guaranteed order for me.

Although I understand it's frustrating for those of you who ordered the Scotsman, I find it very good that the demand for it is so high that they're fully booked. This means we'll probably see more locos like this in the futureBigGrin

Hallo Dreileiters,
So I came across a little historical reference to Flying Scott on U-tube just disregard idiotic music !

P.S. one Flying Scotsman is on order already.
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline bph  
#97 Posted : 01 March 2023 16:31:53(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

Just ordered mine from my dealer, he said that expected delivery is 2024 !!!! Crying did not know when in 2024 Crying Crying

Tim

my dealer informed me, that the info he received was delivery scheduled for December 23, but I would be quite surprised if it actually arrives in December.......
Offline franciscohg  
#98 Posted : 01 March 2023 16:34:00(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Patience is a virtue.....
Seems nobody here preordered the Anniversary Rheingold express by Brawa..... Or worse, the new BR65 by Gützold....... 😂😂😂
Regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline danmarklinman  
#99 Posted : 02 March 2023 20:22:24(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi all. I thought I would attempt a quick video on the different between British Ho and European HO loading gauge.
I’ve made a video, I apologise for the small amount of dodgy narration , I have quite a lot of ho ferry wagons built to British loading gauge. So I thought seeing two wagons coupled together is quite interesting. cheers Dan.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline kimballthurlow  
#100 Posted : 02 March 2023 23:04:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Hi all. I thought I would attempt a quick video on the different between British Ho and European HO loading gauge.

Hi Dan,
That is a brilliant video showing the difference between British and continental sizes in railway rolling stock.
Better than all the figures I can quote.

Is the British ferry wagon a Märklin product?

regards
Kimball

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow