Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Would you purchase suitable coaches to run with ei
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 50 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2023 10:53:30(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
The idea of this poll is to gauge the interest in HO scale British models.
I have deliberately restricted the poll because Märklin modelled an iconic locomotive used in the eastern area of Britain, the 39968 Flying Scotsman as it is in era VI.
One option which Märklin may consider to be design-able and sale-able is for suitable coaches.
You can tick all or any of the boxes ..... to decide which Mainline coaches you consider would suit your running of either the A3 or the A4 locomotive.

Era II LNER 1923-45 teak panelled with bow-ended roofing London to Edinburgh
Era II LNER 1935-39 for A4 only Streamlined silver skirted Silver Jubilee set (articulated) London to Newcastle
Era II LNER 1935-39 for A4 only Streamlined Two-tone blue skirted West Riding or Coronation sets (articulated) London to Leeds or Edinburgh
Era III British Railways 1949-60 Carmine and cream (blood and custard) (used across entire British system)
Era III British Railways 1955-68 Maroon (used across entire British system)
Era IV+ British Railways 1968+ Mk 2 blue and grey to run as a preserved train
All Eras -Pullman coaches - similar types with variations - earlier examples had vertical timber lower panelling.

Kimball

Edited by user 13 November 2023 20:56:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline bph  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2023 12:39:10(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
The idea of this poll is to gauge the interest in HO scale British models.
I have deliberately restricted the poll because Märklin have started with an iconic locomotive, the 39668 Flying Scotsman as it is in era VI.
On that basis there are 3 options which Märklin may consider to be design-able and sale-able.
You can tick all or any of the boxes ..... to decide which coaches you consider would suit your running of either the A3 or the A4 locomotive.
The choices are for Mainline express coaches for both A3 and A4 except where noted (tick any or all that are desirable):

Great idea with the poll

Personally, I am open to several, but I would definitely buy some Pullan coaches like in this photo:
FS.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2023 19:48:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thank you bph for your suggestion regarding Pullman coaches.
I never thought of those but it certainly is a relevant option.

The nice thing about the Pullmans, they were basically the same across all eras from 1923 through to 1968.
I have now edited the poll to include them.
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2023 05:01:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,
Here in Australia I managed to source Playcraft brand HO scale British coaches which were marketed in the UK and elsewhere in the 1960s.
These coaches were made by Jouef (France) for a UK toy distributor and branded same name as the company, Playcraft.
They were also sold by Jouef by arrangement, so you can find them with that name.
These are Era III British Railways 1955-68 Maroon used across the entire British system.

There are basically 4 standard mainline British Railways Mark 1 coaches, (plus a Royal Mail car) used in the 1950s/60s which are suitable to run behind Flying Scotsman.
There are 3 provisos:
1. The fitted plastic wheels may run OK on Märklin track, check yours first. I changed the wheels to Märklin so they act and sound like a Märklin trainset.
2. The couplers - you can find these coaches with the original Hornby Dublo style cup type couplings.
or you can find them with Tri-ang/Hornby style bar and hook type
or sometimes with one type at either end.
Note that you may have to bend up the un-coupling stem/s on both types to clear the Märklin track pukos. It took force to bend mine with pliers.
3. The distance between coupled cars is large (about 20mm+) and unsightly. It will take some thought to figure a method to reduce this.

All 5 Playcraft coach types are fitted with quality interiors, which can be improved with some colour painting.
In dolling up these coach interiors I noticed an error in the interior moulding of the composite 1st/3rd compartment coaches.
The larger 3rd class section has the 6 seat compartment which should be in the 1st class section.
The smaller 1st class section has the 8 seat moulding meant for 3rd class.
The interior moulding fits only one way inside the coach.
This really is not a problem if you can change the yellow figure 1 on the outside of the doors to be on the other ends of the coach.
I painted my 1st class a dull blue or red, and 3rd class a dull grey.

The brake 3rd coach does have a real problem though, because it had no 1st class section.
But the interior moulding is the 6 seat compartment for 1st class.
There is not much I can do about that, except paint the seats a dull grey.

The coaches are not fitted with any metal weight and run well but addition of a little weight would not hurt. The Märklin wheels certainly do that but is not cheap.
The bogies are correct for the early builds of Mark 1 coaches, and are fastened with a 3/16W or 5mm Hex bolt which is easily removed.
Both types of couplings are integral with the plastic bogie mould.
Once you open the car and remove windows and interiors I improved the coaches with a spray of clear laquer to make them shiny, and also sprayed the roof with a matt clear laquer.
When you buy these used cars, the clear window strip is usually dirty and I cleaned them in warm soapy water.

The British Railways gangwayed coach types in maroon colour (with Playcraft model number) are:
P455 RB Restaurant #1701
P456 SO 2nd class open with centre aisle between seat rows #M4372
P457 CK 1st and 2nd class compartments with corridor (named composite) #15100
P458 BSK 2nd class compartments w corridor, and a Brake/Guard section (named brake composite) #36040
P459 Royal Mail car with line-side catch equipment #W80300 (interior apparatus removed so as not to foul track pukos).
I will get you some pictures soon.
The above cars are also available in green, and chocolate and cream with different model number (except for the Mail car).

Paints I used are:
Clear laquer spray for a shiny surface on the coach exterior (I think it improves them remarkably).
Matt laquer spray for roofs (otherwise they look shiny plastic).
Humbrol #20 for exterior touch ups (not the Mail car).
Humbrol #115 dull blue/grey for seats or any shade of blue/grey
Humbrol dull crimson/purple for 1st class seats
Humbrol #63 to quieten the plastic gloss interior.

Kimball

Edited by user 10 March 2024 06:18:57(UTC)  | Reason: Added interior info March 2024

Offline Billy  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2023 22:17:33(UTC)
Billy

United States   
Hello Everyone,
I thought I would add my two cents in this poll....I came across some Primex 4019 coaches which are cream and maroon and have that lets say a British look and feel to them. I have 5 of them, and in a few pictures I have seen of the real train they seam to fit in well.
Just my two cents!!!!
Billy
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Billy
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2023 22:38:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've only just relented and purchased a Flying Scotsman loco as I thought I might regret it later if I didn't. Not sure if I will bother with coaches though, I guess that will have to wait until there are some available. I'm not overly interested in British rail so responding to the poll is pointless for me as I don't really know much about them.

I saw a video on Youtube of someone running their Scotsman with a set of M41928 Rheingold coaches, which is what tipped the balance for me in purchasing the loco as I do have that set! Maybe not prototypical, but they sure looked good!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2023 12:55:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

All 5 Playcraft coach types are fitted with quality interiors, which can be improved with some colour painting.
The coaches are not fitted with any metal weight and run well but addition of a little weight would not hurt. The Märklin wheels certainly do that but is not cheap.
The bogies are correct for the early builds of Mark 1 coaches, and are fastened with a 3/16W or 5mm Hex bolt which is easily removed.
Both types of couplings are integral with the plastic bogie mould.
Once you open the car and remove windows and interiors I improved the coaches with a spray of clear laquer to make them shiny, and also sprayed the roof with a matt clear laquer.
When you buy these used cars, the clear window strip is usually dirty and I cleaned them in warm soapy water.

The British Railways gangwayed coach types in maroon colour (with Playcraft model number) are:
P455 RB Restaurant #1701
P456 SO 2nd class open with centre aisle between seat rows #M4372
P457 CK 1st and 2nd class compartments with corridor (named composite) #15100
P458 BSK 2nd class compartments w corridor, and a Brake/Guard section (named brake composite) #36040
P459 Royal Mail car with line-side catch equipment #W80300 (interior apparatus removed so as not to foul track pukos).
I will get you some pictures soon.

Following your recommendation I went looking on eBay, and have picked up three coaches in maroon, and one in brown/cream. i'll post photos when they arrive.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 13 December 2023 15:11:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No, I don't even own a Bug Boy and I would want that first. Others I want first are a br 85, and 96.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 10 March 2024 06:15:20(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
This is a minor update to my listing above of the various maroon Playcraft coaches suitable for Flying Scotsman.

Firstly I replaced all the wheels of my coaches with a standard 24.4mm Märklin E700150 wheelset. As I said they are not cheap.
They add weight and roll slightly better than the original Playcraft.
Kiwialan mentions that these axles are not as long as the Playcraft, which is 25.5mm, so they are loose. But none of mine dropped out.

Secondly, in dolling up these coaches I noticed an error in the interior moulding of the composite 1st/3rd compartment coaches.
The larger 3rd class section has the 6 seat compartment which should be in the 1st class section.
The smaller 1st class section has the 8 seat moulding meant for 3rd class.
The interior moulding fits only one way inside the coach.
This really is not a problem if you can change the yellow figure 1 on the outside of the doors to be on the other ends of the coach.
I painted my 1st class seats a rich blue or red, and 3rd class a dull grey/blue.

The brake 3rd coach does have a real problem though, because it had no 1st class section.
But the interior moulding is the 6 seat compartment for 1st class.
There is not much I can do about that, except paint the seats a dull grey.

Who is really going to notice all this? I find it rather funny that such a mistake was made ...... our hobby cannot be taken too seriously.

Kimball

Edited by user 11 March 2024 07:48:07(UTC)  | Reason: changed some words

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 10 March 2024 08:12:29(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I would like to model it as it was in Australia. Can anyone identify the passenger wagons and the water wagons in the image below?

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r...ing_its_way_through_the/

UserPostedImage
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 10 March 2024 12:50:36(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Adrian,
I am reasonably sure that cars used behind FS in Australia were NSW.
The first in the photo has 3 axle bogies, and is centre entrance only, with timber side sheeting.
Someone else may know the model or type.
Many types of NSW cars and water tanks are available as RTR models in HO.
This model channel may also be some use - he is running his FS with appropriate Australian cars:
https://youtu.be/_mfVda7bwZI?si=s3s-wqunJwfzB05m

Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 11 March 2024 08:19:29(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
To summarize the poll results:
I would say 20-30 people responded, and the clear preference is for the Pullman chocolate/cream coaches which can reasonably cover most eras.
The iconic LNER teak coaches would attract less interest.
The carmine and cream of early British Railways (to about 1959) are of interest to a similar number.
Interestingly the Sir Nigel Gresley Locomotive Trust currently own (or run) a complete fleet of Mark 1 (1950s) coaches in the carmine and cream behind the Sir Nigel Gresley (so named) streamline A4.

They look very spiffy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTBHqSX93KM&t=11s
Kimball