Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2023 10:28:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
My observations on running 39968 Flying Scotsman on a C track layout are as follows:

1. Runs comfortably through curves from R1, standard and long turnouts, cross overs and double-slips. I have catenary and signals etc and there was no fouling due to overhang.
You should check for any fouling of lineside objects on your layout.

2. Standard curved points are mostly OK but if there is a slight misalignment at the joint with ordinary rail (vertical or horizontal) the front bogie can become adrift.
I solved the problem by (either method may work alone):
Firstly lifting the track joints a few mm (cardboard or plasticine stuff) due to a dip at that point.
Secondly increasing the tension of the spring between chassis and front bogie by removing/replacing - bending the sprung brass sheet slightly in two places.
The bogie then tracked well.
I also noticed deeper flanges on carrying wheels.
By my measure (which may not be precise), the front bogie, trailing and tender wheels have normal Märklin deep flanges (1.25mm) whereas the driving wheels are 0.7mm on this locomotive.
I would say the deeper flanges on the carrying wheels definitely maintain the smooth guidance through turnouts and cross-overs.

3. The operating sound at slow speed replicates the 3 cylinder exhaust precisely, but at high speed it simply merges into one chuff which is too short and too long a space between chuffs to be realistic.
My experience of hearing locomotives at speed (70mph in NSW) was that the exhaust was just one giant roar of hissing with hardly a beat detectable.
I guess reloading sound is achievable if there is a better option. In my early CS1 there was an option to change the chuff rate and spacing, but the CS3 does not seem to offer that.

4. There are multiple options for lighting, most take time to figure out from the CS3 icons. My cab lighting does not work (i might not have figured that one out). No big deal for me because I rarely run my trains in the dark and I cannot see inside my tunnels.
5. The smoke generator is brilliant - I reckon it went for a full 5 minutes (and the smoke deflectors worked brilliantly lifting the smoke well clear of the cab Blink).

Summing-up this is a breath-takingly beautiful model and I am glad Märklin took the time to offer it.
There are very satisfying sounds from the wheels and chassis as it flies through turnouts, cross overs and slips, probably due to the 8 wheeled tender.
One more thing - the headboard in blue at the front of the engine smokebox was only used if the engine was to haul the Flying Scotsman train from London to Edinburgh.
That particular train left London every morning at 10:00, and I believe the opposite train left Edinburgh at around the same time (not sure exactly).

Now for some HO scale British coaches.
I have added polls (Poll 1, 2 and 3 in separate topics) to gauge the interest in HO scale British models.
I have deliberately restricted the poll because Märklin have started with an iconic locomotive, the 39968 Flying Scotsman as it is in era VI.
Using 39968 as a basis there are 3 options in the polls which Märklin may consider to be design-able and sale-able.

Kimball

Edited by user 07 December 2023 08:47:31(UTC)  | Reason: Added material

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline GlennM  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2023 05:49:05(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I have zero interest in UK trains BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2023 19:36:03(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
My observations on running 39968 Flying Scotsman on a C track layout are as follows:
4. There are multiple options for lighting, most take time to figure out from the CS3 icons. My cab lighting does not work (i might not have figured that one out). No big deal for me because I rarely run my trains in the dark and I cannot see inside my tunnels.
Kimball

Thanks for the review.
One thing that I noticed, was that the cab light was quite dim.
I managed to increase it a little using SUSI CV 953. factory setting was 100 and I increased it to 130.
I also changed SUSI CV 952 from 1 to 8, changing the value to 8 makes the light fade in and out, instead of the standard on/off.
Marked in red in the picture. (note: use of this information is at your own risk)
UserPostedImage
(note that I have remapped some functions etc)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 15 November 2023 17:22:22(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

From the exploded view it seems there is only one decoder PCB and no additional PCB. Is it?
I ask this because I was convinced the SUSI is a serial interface to connect decoders to external modules.

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 15 November 2023 20:57:29(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

From the exploded view it seems there is only one decoder PCB and no additional PCB. Is it?
I ask this because I was convinced the SUSI is a serial interface to connect decoders to external modules.

Miguel

I have not opened the locomotive yet, but judging from the number of wires between the tender and locomotive I would guess that the SUSi module is integrated into the MTC Circuit Board (the PCB that has the 21pin mtc connector for the decoder). If that is the case it would take the Susi interface directly from the pins dedicated to the decoder SUSI interface. (e.g. it's possible to solder up Susi modules to the Pickup Shoe Changeover Circuit Board 60973). The decoder itself in the Flying Scotsman is a standard decoder (part no 347463).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2023 21:22:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
External to the decoder, but maybe just one chip on the PCB of the loco.
I have 103 109 from MäTrix and it uses decoder function F0 plus five light functions via SUSI.
AUX1 through AUX4 are unused with that loco.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2023 10:58:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   

1. Runs comfortably through curves from R1, standard and long turnouts, cross overs and double-slips. I have catenary and signals etc and there was no fouling due to overhang.
You should check for any fouling of lineside objects on your layout.

2. Standard curved points are mostly OK but if there is a slight misalignment at the joint with ordinary rail (vertical or horizontal) the front bogie can become adrift.
I solved the problem by (either method may work alone):
Firstly lifting the joints a few mm (cardboard or plasticine stuff) due to a dip at that point.
Secondly increasing the tension of the spring between chassis and front bogie by removing/replacing - bending the sprung brass sheet slightly in two places.
The bogie then tracked well.
I also noticed deeper flanges on carrying wheels.
By my measure (which may not be precise), the front bogie, trailing and tender wheels have normal Märklin deep flanges (1.25mm) whereas the driving wheels are 0.7mm on this locomotive.
I would say the deeper flanges on the carrying wheels definitely maintain the smooth guidance through turnouts and cross-overs.

3. The operating sound at slow speed replicates the 3 cylinder exhaust precisely, but at high speed it simply merges into one chuff which is too short and too long a space between chuffs to be realistic.
My experience of hearing locomotives at speed (70mph in NSW) was that the exhaust was just one giant roar of hissing with hardly a beat detectable.
I guess reloading sound is achievable if there is a better option. In my early CS1 there was an option to change the chuff rate and spacing, but the CS3 does not seem to offer that.

5. The smoke generator is brilliant - I reckon it went for a full 5 minutes (and the smoke deflectors worked brilliantly lifting the smoke well clear of the cab Blink).

Summing-up this is a breath-takingly beautiful model and I am glad Märklin took the time to offer it.
There are very satisfying sounds from the wheels and chassis as it flies through turnouts, cross overs and slips, probably due to the 8 wheeled tender.

Now for some HO scale British coaches.
I have added polls (Poll 1, 2 and 3 in separate topics) to gauge the interest in HO scale British models.
I have deliberately restricted the poll because Märklin have started with an iconic locomotive, the 39968 Flying Scotsman as it is in era VI.
Using 39968 as a basis there are 3 options in the polls which Märklin may consider to be design-able and sale-able.

Kimball

Hi Kimball, I agree with you regarding the running of the loco over turnouts. The turnouts need to be perfectly flat, in fact all track needs to be flat - any dip at the track joints, the front bogie wheels will derail. Therefore, with my layout, this loco can only run on some of my circuits, and I'm extremely disappointed with it especially for the price. Another point that you didn't raise, was the paint finish - very cheap looking.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline mbarreto  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2023 11:55:17(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post

the paint finish - very cheap looking.

I don't see anything wrong with the painting. It is leveled to other high rating models from Märklin.
I also like the color and I also think it is one of the best that could be chosen for the FS.

About running I hadn't any issues, but I only used it on leveled track.

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
bph
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2023 22:34:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
... Another point that you didn't raise, was the paint finish - very cheap looking.

Regards
Greg

Hello Greg,
Do you think it would be better with more of a gloss?
That is my only opinion on that, otherwise as mbarreto says the paintwork is of an accepted standard.
regards
Kimball

Edited by user 21 November 2023 06:08:53(UTC)  | Reason: corected

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Drongo  
#10 Posted : 18 November 2023 12:32:54(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
... Another point that you didn't raise, was the paint finish - very cheap looking.

Regards
Greg

Hello Greg,
Do you think it would be better with more of a gloss?
That is my only opinion on that, otherwise as bph says the paintwork is of an accepted standard.
regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball,
The paint finish is not really that important, as your point about the front bogie wheels derailing is a serious problem. Mine does it constantly and I tried to increase the spring tension without success. I'm thinking of just sending it back to Marklin as this is another $1,000 dud (the other was the turntable). I've mentioned it before in other threads, but Marklin doesn't take any notice - their "testing" facility is not practical - it's too perfect and not realistic, so we the consumer with less perfect layouts cannot run our trains well. There is no tolerance for error. Typical German attitude.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 21 November 2023 06:19:27(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello Greg,

Yes I see your point about having your Flying Scotsman only able to run on some circuits because of front bogie issues.
I have only one of my Märklin locos and one Liliput restricted from certain sections of my layout.
I take comfort from the fact that real railways also have to restrict locos from certain routes, usually due to the loading gauge or weight restrictions (overhead or under bridges, lineside structures etc).

The front bogie I fixed with a more positive bend in the shim brass in two places. It took a bit of juggling to insert it back into the bogie top.
No doubt workers in the Märklin assembly department would do it in 3 seconds flat from having practiced it thousands of times.
I hope they get paid well.

Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Drongo  
#12 Posted : 22 November 2023 13:01:42(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hello Greg,

Yes I see your point about having your Flying Scotsman only able to run on some circuits because of front bogie issues.
I have only one of my Märklin locos and one Liliput restricted from certain sections of my layout.
I take comfort from the fact that real railways also have to restrict locos from certain routes, usually due to the loading gauge or weight restrictions (overhead or under bridges, lineside structures etc).

The front bogie I fixed with a more positive bend in the shim brass in two places. It took a bit of juggling to insert it back into the bogie top.
No doubt workers in the Märklin assembly department would do it in 3 seconds flat from having practiced it thousands of times.
I hope they get paid well.

Kimball

Hi Kimball,
I had another shot at adjusting the front bogie spring and it did improve the running of the loco. Unfortunately, when the loco is reversing it tends to derail at turnouts. Solution - don't run the loco backwards. I bet Marklin didn't carry out this test.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 22 November 2023 16:38:32(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
Is your tender properly locked into the driving position?
This was a common and easily solved "problem" with the BR06
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Billy  
#14 Posted : 07 December 2023 21:58:40(UTC)
Billy

United States   
Hi Kimball,
Your review of the Flying Scotsman is right on line!!!!! I also had derailments of the front bogie, and yes putting more tension on the wheels seams to correct the problem. I am some what disappointed with the last few NEW locos I have brought....one would think some of these issues would be found in the testing phrase of these new releases. As I stated in one of my earlier post the Quality Control at Marklin has diminish some what.
Thanks for a fair review of this item!!!!!
Billy
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Billy
Offline Drongo  
#15 Posted : 09 December 2023 07:10:46(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Billy Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kimball,
Your review of the Flying Scotsman is right on line!!!!! I also had derailments of the front bogie, and yes putting more tension on the wheels seams to correct the problem. I am some what disappointed with the last few NEW locos I have brought....one would think some of these issues would be found in the testing phrase of these new releases. As I stated in one of my earlier post the Quality Control at Marklin has diminish some what.
Thanks for a fair review of this item!!!!!
Billy

Hi Billy, I also had to put more tension on the front spring, however, it still derails on tracks that rise to another level. Therefore I have allocated it to a small very, very flat section of the layout, in fact it travels around the new c track turntable which doesn't work. So I have $2,000 basically doing nothing.

Greg
Offline Billy  
#16 Posted : 09 December 2023 16:12:51(UTC)
Billy

United States   
Hi Greg, I found that to much tension can lead to derailments also... it can lighten the load on the first set of drive wheels which causes derailments. It takes some trial and errors to get it right...as for your turntable...good luck...I still use the 20 year old turntable..... noisy.... and slow....but still works great.....and that's my point... Quality is what made Marklin the best in the past....hope they find it again!!!!!!

Billy
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Billy
Offline Drongo  
#17 Posted : 12 December 2023 13:03:58(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Greg, I found that to much tension can lead to derailments also... it can lighten the load on the first set of drive wheels which causes derailments. It takes some trial and errors to get it right...as for your turntable...good luck...I still use the 20 year old turntable..... noisy.... and slow....but still works great.....and that's my point... Quality is what made Marklin the best in the past....hope they find it again!!!!!!

Billy

Hi Billy, from your comment about putting too much tension on the front spring, gives me the idea that it must have been too much for the Marklin team to get it right, or they are just plain lazy.
Offline mrmarklin  
#18 Posted : 13 December 2023 10:46:22(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Hi Greg, I found that to much tension can lead to derailments also... it can lighten the load on the first set of drive Blushing Blushing wheels which causes derailments. It takes some trial and errors to get it right...as for your turntable...good luck...I still use the 20 year old turntable..... noisy.... and slow....but still works great.....and that's my point... Quality is what made Marklin the best in the past....hope they find it again!!!!!!

Billy

I tested my Scotsman last weekend. It derailed on its second lap around the test track. The problem was two fold, and had nothing to do with spring tension on leading truck. The under carriage near the leading pair of wheels was poorly installed, and was catching on the turnouts. Once corrected, I ran into the problem of poorly installed track. Although my test track appears perfectly flat, it’s not. There are some transitions between the tables that the track is laid on, that allows a small amount of bounce. Unlike apparently all my other Loks, the Scotsman is Uber sensitive to this and will derail. Once fixed, there were no further problems. The Lok seems very sensitive to poorly laid track.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Drongo  
#19 Posted : 13 December 2023 12:47:22(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg, I found that to much tension can lead to derailments also... it can lighten the load on the first set of drive Blushing Blushing wheels which causes derailments. It takes some trial and errors to get it right...as for your turntable...good luck...I still use the 20 year old turntable..... noisy.... and slow....but still works great.....and that's my point... Quality is what made Marklin the best in the past....hope they find it again!!!!!!

Billy

I tested my Scotsman last weekend. It derailed on its second lap around the test track. The problem was two fold, and had nothing to do with spring tension on leading truck. The under carriage near the leading pair of wheels was poorly installed, and was catching on the turnouts. Once corrected, I ran into the problem of poorly installed track. Although my test track appears perfectly flat, it’s not. There are some transitions between the tables that the track is laid on, that allows a small amount of bounce. Unlike apparently all my other Loks, the Scotsman is Uber sensitive to this and will derail. Once fixed, there were no further problems. The Lok seems very sensitive to poorly laid track.

I agree that the loco is sensitive to poorly laid track, however, on my layout the loco derails when the track difference is around 1mm - this is a very small tolerance factor. Also, at the same time of buying the Flying Scotsman I bought the USA diesel 38440 and it also derails on the same section of track. The bogies are 3 wheels and are too long and when they go over these sections of track the front wheels lift off the track as the bogies have a lot of up and down movement. Again, this is another example of Marklin's inferior testing.
Offline franciscohg  
#20 Posted : 13 December 2023 13:59:59(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Or Bad track laying, newer machines are indeed very sensitive. Personally i adjust građe transition of M track with Card board pieces in several sections of track to soften the transition as much as possible. Also try to avoid such transitions on curved sections of track.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline franciscohg  
#21 Posted : 28 December 2023 19:35:38(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello
Today after a long customs process i was finally able to pickup my scotsman.
I must say again that is a gorgeous model that looks far better in person than in pictures. Did a running test over my R1-R2 M track layout with 5% grades and have no derailment issues at all. It nicely pulls 3 Fleischmann 5146-47-48 cars with no problems after ther wheels were properly gauged, equipped with Fleischmann profi couplers, i must get another pair, but right now they are scarce and expensive.
About turnouts, no problem on 5200 series ones, just a little loss of power in one 5207, but several locos have problems there so it must be more a turnout problem than a loco one. I gave up on curved turnouts long time ago since they are an endless source of troubles with many rolling stock.
A little video of it
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline marklinist5999  
#22 Posted : 28 December 2023 22:30:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Very nice and in stereo sound too.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 28 December 2023 23:26:09(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Nice video. Loco runs well but probably needs track to be well laid.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Bill L  
#24 Posted : 29 December 2023 05:05:47(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
Hi Drongo in Post #19: How did you correct and what did you do with your USA diesel 38440 from derailing. The instruction package does not give too much information as to how to open the wheel assembly at the bottom. Thanks.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bill L
Offline Drongo  
#25 Posted : 15 January 2024 11:02:22(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bill L Go to Quoted Post
Hi Drongo in Post #19: How did you correct and what did you do with your USA diesel 38440 from derailing. The instruction package does not give too much information as to how to open the wheel assembly at the bottom. Thanks.

Sorry for the late response - it's summertime down here and we have a very long holiday period.

What I did to make the loco stay on the tracks was to take care that the track was perfectly level. By this I mean that where the track pieces join together there is absolutely no variation in height. I placed a straight edge along the rails and made sure there was no gaps along the straight edge. I hope this helps.

Regards
Greg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#26 Posted : 19 January 2024 04:59:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
I must say again that is a gorgeous model that looks far better in person than in pictures.

Agreed!

Picture of my Scotsman with the only other Marklin British loco, the 3073 Warship.

1.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline 60904  
#27 Posted : 19 January 2024 23:19:31(UTC)

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
I must say again that is a gorgeous model that looks far better in person than in pictures.

Agreed!

Picture of my Scotsman with the only other Marklin British loco, the 3073 Warship.

1.jpg

Well, maybe your only two BR models, but there were a few more in the past. Just think about the LMS, LNER, and of course the Harry Potter- ok HP does not count at all.

Greetings
Martin
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 20 January 2024 05:30:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The Harry Pothead train was Hornby made.

The other locos AFAIK are quite old models, older than me!

I was of course referring to more modern day models.
Offline 60904  
#29 Posted : 20 January 2024 10:27:22(UTC)

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The Harry Pothead train was Hornby made.

The other locos AFAIK are quite old models, older than me!

I was of course referring to more modern day models.

Sure, you meant the modern models. But even the 3073 is more than 50 years old. The ugliest model ever.

Greetings
Martin