Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DDKingsview  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2023 08:46:11(UTC)
DDKingsview

Greetings from Australia! I have just sourced one of these from Germany. Here goes!

1. When you read the decoder in JMRI, which decoder do I select? JMRI finds multiple versions
When you press F2 for sound, you must hold your finger on the F2 button for the engine sound to operate.

Do you have any idea about these?

Regards
Dallas

Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 27 December 2023 09:27:05(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new super locmotive!

I didn't know that software exists, so I can't help. Probably other forum member knows and can help.

For controlling trains I like the CS3 (or CS3+) or the MS2, but the latter is a kind of a toy compared to the CS3.

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 27 December 2023 09:44:37(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: DDKingsview Go to Quoted Post
Greetings from Australia! I have just sourced one of these from Germany. Here goes!

1. When you read the decoder in JMRI, which decoder do I select? JMRI finds multiple versions
When you press F2 for sound, you must hold your finger on the F2 button for the engine sound to operate.

Regards
Dallas

Cheers!
Welcome to the train forum for Märklin and all kind of two rail system too.
It is your cab control that need to change function button.
Your F2 work like temporary and what you need are constantly on/off.
That means you must configure your cab control.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 27 December 2023 12:29:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Regards
Dallas

JMRI may not have the correct decoder definition for this loco. I know it does have a decoder definition for Marklin msd/3 decoders, but that definition was done before Marklin added the Railcom capability that this loco has.

However AFAIK there is only one msd/3 definition in JMRI, so am surprised it came up with multiple decoders. How were you trying to identify it?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline DDKingsview  
#5 Posted : 28 December 2023 05:15:20(UTC)
DDKingsview

As far as detecting, just adding "Nwew Loco" does a read of the decoder and offers Trix and Marklin choices. The paperwork with the loco offers no ID of the chip fitted.
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 28 December 2023 10:15:40(UTC)
Goofy

As far as detecting, just adding "Nwew Loco" does a read of the decoder and offers Trix and Marklin choices. The paperwork with the loco offers no ID of the chip fitted.

Not sure what you mean.
You can check by use adress CV7 and read out by write 77 in the value.
This can be done with DCC protocol.
H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 28 December 2023 19:53:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Not sure what you mean.

No Goofy, he is talking about identifying it using JMRI.

I personally haven't tried identifying a Marklin or Trix loco with JMRI as yet. It is one of my 'round tuit' things, so cannot help further.

However by selecting a suitable one you should be able to read the decoder (this may take a significant amount of time, like a half hour or more) and then see what JMRI tells you about the contents of the various registers.

Offline DDKingsview  
#8 Posted : 28 December 2023 23:40:14(UTC)
DDKingsview

Lads, don't worry about it, especially those who can't help!

The fact that my other 70 locos are okay on JMRI is okay! J

MRI is an extensively used universal tool to detect and change CVs for all other brands. The strange fact is no one seems to know the decoder's actual model number, which is frankly alien to me! It appears to be a Marklin secret! Not disclosed by them, or it seems anyone else knows!

The sounds at F2 need to be "latched." I will not change my controller to accommodate this feature, noting that the sound from this loco is neither in sync with the chuffs nor is speed-sensitive, like a Loksound or ZIMO.

It's a nice loco, but quirky compared to other brands. Detail is nice.
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 29 December 2023 01:19:37(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Not sure what you mean.

No Goofy, he is talking about identifying it using JMRI.

I personally haven't tried identifying a Marklin or Trix loco with JMRI as yet. It is one of my 'round tuit' things, so cannot help further.

However by selecting a suitable one you should be able to read the decoder (this may take a significant amount of time, like a half hour or more) and then see what JMRI tells you about the contents of the various registers.

What´s difference?
You use system and CV adress to find ID too by read it.
Personally i don´t take care of what he use system.
All system speaks with DCC protocol but the real problem is if the system can read decoders ID.

H0
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 29 December 2023 11:56:38(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Not sure what you mean.

CV 7 displays the Decoder Firmware version, and writing 77 to CV 7, initiates the automatic calibration of the motor.

My Marklin Scotsman has decoder part no 347463, (as posted on the forum earlier). And the Trix and Marklin version has the same spare part number, ref the manual. But there might be differences in programming.... etc???
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 29 December 2023 12:48:27(UTC)
Goofy

No CV7 are adress to read decoder ID. In fact you can’t change value or calebrate the decoder.
H0
Offline bph  
#12 Posted : 29 December 2023 13:16:37(UTC)
bph

Norway   
No CV7 are adress to read decoder ID. In fact you can’t change value or calebrate the decoder.

Sorry, but you are wrong. ref various Marklin manuals and the DCC CV list: https://www.maerklin.de/fileadmin/media/service/technische_informationen/Umruestdecoder_mLD-mSD_CV-Liste_DCC.pdf

And you can run a calibration on newer factory-fitted decoders, I have done it on Flying Scotsman and several others.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 29 December 2023 21:12:40(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Views messages in topic : 18,665
Shutup Goofy!

Know when you're making an idiot of yourself, and know when to keep quiet. Now is one of those times!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 29 December 2023 23:43:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would like to know what JMRI is. Is it some kind of controller.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline cintrans  
#15 Posted : 30 December 2023 01:03:22(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

David

It's software

The description on their website:

"The JMRI project is building tools for model railroad computer control. We want it to be usable to as many people as possible, so we're building it in Java to run anywhere, and we're trying to make it independent of specific hardware systems."

Regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 30 December 2023 18:39:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

JMRI is a software suite, originally developed at the tail end of the 1990s, for the purpose of making programming CVs in DCC decoders much easier than entering the CV values through a hand held cab control, with the high liklihood of making mistakes in either the CV number or the contents. The aim of the program was to show on-screen all the CV names, and where bits are used in CVs, the bit names, so that when programming a loco it was not necessary to keep referring to CV numbers, but use human readable names instead. Many decoders now also use index CVs to access groups of CV functions (e.g. the Loksound decoders) and JMRI sets out to handle the indexing required to do this without the operator being aware it is happening.

It was originally developed as a personal project by Bob Jacobson, in California, and was developed around a Loconet based system. As people became aware of it, and more brands of controllers became available, it was expanded to work with many other systems, some of which are now defunct, but are still supported within JMRI.

Other software developers came on board and have vastly expanded the capabilities of the program so that it can now rival RR&Co and many other programs as a basis for automating model railroads. And one of the best parts about it is that it is free.

The acronym stands for Java Model Railroad Interface (link for further information), and contains several sections (but not limited to these): -

*Decoderpro which is the original portion for handling programming of DCC decoders.

*Panelpro which is used to design mimic panels for displaying on screen track maps showing signals, points, and with proper train position sensing, the location and tracking of trains as they move around the layout.

*Operationspro which is used to automate a layout.

*Soundpro which was an early attempt at having loco sounds on a layout before sound decoders became mainstream. There are still people who use this feature. It relies on having a sound card in the computer with multiple speakers under the layout. Using the features of OperationsPro and PanelPro JMRI keeps track of where the train is on the layout and attempts to adjust the speaker levels so the sound appears to follow the loco.

Because JMRI is built on top of Java it can be run on almost any computer system. They have releases for Linux, Windows and MacOS up to the current release. They release monthly development releases and approximately twice a year do a release candidate for those who don't wish to risk using development releases.

JMRI was also involved a significant court case where someone else attempted to patent using any form of network between a comuter and train controller (despite there being significant prior art before the patent was filed), appropriate the Decoderpro name and use the decoder definition files from JMRI while removing all copyright and licensing notices. The result of the court case was a win for JMRI, who were strongly supported by the Open Source Software Foundation, resulting in a major landmark win for Open Source Software in general. There is a Youtube video interview with Bob Jacobson about this case if you wish to look for it.

JMRI does have decoder definitions for mld, msd, mld/3 and msd/3 based on Marklin published documentation (such as pointed to above). It can also do everything a Lokprogrammer can do except load code and sound files into an ESU decoder. It knows about EcOS controllers, Marklin cs1, cs2 and cs3 controllers, but I haven't ascertained how extensive this support is yet (one of the items on a round tuit that keeps getting bigger).

JMRI is a pretty lightweight program in terms of computer resources required, and many people use an old machine that would otherwise be consigned to the trash, even though it is essentially working. It will also run on a Raspberry Pi (a model 3 would be regarded as the minimum spec) and for those who would despair at setting up a Linux system on an RPi one of the JMRI contributors has a download that comprises the operating system with JMRI already set up so that it just needs loading onto an SD card and plugged into an RPi. when turned on it will boot straight into JMRI which will attempt to autoconnect to most common DCC systems, so that it is then ready to go.

If you want any further information, or to download the program, see the link above. There is also a very active groups.io email support group for the program.

There are also other programs available, such as CATS, to help with layout automation and augment the facilities of JMRI.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan