Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline swanpondwv  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2011 01:53:43(UTC)
swanpondwv

Any suggestions for a track cleaning car for C track?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill
Offline rjftrains  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2011 03:32:27(UTC)
rjftrains

Track cleaning cars come in two "flavors".

The very popular Centerline track cleaning cars rely on a piece of fabric ("Handi-Wipe") that is soaked with a solvent. As the car moves along the track, a weighted cylinder around which the Handi-Wipe is wrapped, the solvent disolves and picks up a lot of the dirt, grease, dust etc. that is on the track. However, it does nothing about any oxidiation that may have built-up over time.

The other type of car is the type that Marklin offers. It has 4 little abrasive pads that gently "scrape" along the outer rails and do a fairly good job of removing oxidation and some of the dirt that accumulates.

An interesting side note: a LOT of the "dirt" on your outer rails come from the rubber tires. Anyhow...

In a perfect world, using both the Centerline and Marklin cars would probably give you the best results. If you only want one car, you need to decide where your "dirt" is coming from: dust, grease, etc. or oxidation.

OK, there is a third type of track cleaning setup. The Lux company (Germany) makes a VERY nice track cleaning car, along with a vacuum cleaner to "pick up" after the cleaning car. The cleaning car has an abrasive wheel that does a really nice job. The problems with this setup are:

Cost: probably about $400 for a complete setup
Reliability: eventually, the motor, decoder or something else will fail
Parts availability: none in the US
Other: The (very nice) folks at Lux don't speak a word of English (at least they didn't the last time I visited their booth in Nurnberg)

It is a great product, but (in my opinion) not worth the money and eventual aggravation.

PS

I offer both the Centerline car (with Marklin couplers)as well as well as the Marklin tack cleaning car. Please contact me off-line via e-mail if you'd like more information, pricing, etc.
Robert Frowenfeld
RJFtrains@aol.com
www.RJFtrains.com
914-232-5546
Offline swanpondwv  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2011 03:52:48(UTC)
swanpondwv

Thanks Robert. I'm actually a customer of yours. Always great service.

I somehow have the idea that perhaps the center studs are the big problem. Does the Centerline car clean the center studs?

Thanks,
Bill
Bill
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by swanpondwv
Offline davevo  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2011 21:06:16(UTC)
davevo

Total noob question and I fully expect to be shot down in flames. Can't you just lightly rub down the centre of the tracks with a light sand paper? Say 600 or 1200 just to shine it up again? I recently bought a bucket load of very old M track that was oxidized and my loco was running VERY erratically. Fast then slow, then stop, gentle shove and it was off like a shot again with sparks galore flying out from underneath. I gave the full layout a gentle rub down and all running great now. Why would you need a cleaning car.Confused
Offline Harvey  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2011 21:16:11(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I can see the benefit of an 'automated' cleaning car for those hard to reach areas. However, my experience with the Marklin two car set is that it is too light and derails too easily. I use (I forge the exact name of the product) a bulky pencil eraser type device for the center rail and two running rails and then use a thin sponge type material (used to clean kitchen counters) with some rubbing alcohol to further clean. The eraser does a good job on rust. And last, I use a vacuum cleaner to pick residuals. I had a serious rust problem over the summer and it took some repetition to clean. But, once I conquered the rust, infrequent cleaning seems to be satisfactory.

Harvey
Offline Rinus  
#6 Posted : 19 December 2011 21:45:09(UTC)
Rinus

Originally Posted by: davevo Go to Quoted Post
Total noob question and I fully expect to be shot down in flames. Can't you just lightly rub down the centre of the tracks with a light sand paper? Say 600 or 1200 just to shine it up again? I..... Why would you need a cleaning car.Confused

Yes you should receive servere punishment for that Sleep

Just compare the surface of your rail to a new one. Do you notice the grinding marks the sandpaper left on the rail surface?

Not to speak of the risk of damaging overheadwire when installed.

Lux combo of vacuum cleanerand polish brush rules (and cost you quite a few €€€)!

Rinus
Offline davevo  
#7 Posted : 19 December 2011 22:12:35(UTC)
davevo

UserPostedImage

Not really, I see pit marks left by the rust, but that's about it. Am I missing something?
I was very gentle, just till I saw a shine coming through, then I gave it a good rub with a worn out shoe brush.
This will probably have me labeled as a total neanderthal, but hey, I've only been at this for a week BigGrin
Offline swanpondwv  
#8 Posted : 19 December 2011 22:54:19(UTC)
swanpondwv

Thanks for the replies.

Model RRing is a winter time activity for me. Meaning my track gets dirty and maybe corrosion becomes an issue over the summer.

On Z scale track, we try to be careful NOT to scratch the rail. Usually wiping the rails with cleaner works good enough. Alcohol or lighter fluid.

G scale rail we often use a piece of window screen underneath a car. Does wonders.

But with Marklin the center rail becomes an issue while cleaning. Snags rags and paper towels. I do have a bright boy eraser track cleaner. I'll try it. But I have some areas that are not easily reached. So I was hoping for a track cleaning car to solve all my problems.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 19 December 2011 23:11:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Roco rubber and a car type hoover. Takes a few minutes and cleans perfectly. Why spend a fortune on something that is not necessary. Never had a problem with C track for years using the above method once per month. Regular running of trains aslo helps considerably.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Western Pacific  
#10 Posted : 20 December 2011 08:08:09(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Roco rubber and a car type hoover. Takes a few minutes and cleans perfectly. Why spend a fortune on something that is not necessary. Never had a problem with C track for years using the above method once per month. Regular running of trains aslo helps considerably.

dave

I had an M-track layout in my parent's house. It was located in a well heated part of the basement and never had any problems even without any sort of track cleaning car. The regular running of trains, as Dave points out helps a lot. I did some vacuuming about once a year of the layout - landscape, houses, tracks etc. - using a regular household vacuum cleaner.

However for my current and future layout I have a Märklin track cleaning wagon and in case I would feel that I need something for the centre studs, then I am playing with the idea of using one of my Crocs, namely the 3015. It is equipped with two sliders 7175 (which I believe is also replacement slider for 7198) and to glue a piece of the finest available sand paper on a practically worn out slider and put it on the 3015, replacing one of the sliders for current pick up, would create a heavy stud cleaning lok. This may mean running at some speed through points where the 3015 else would get stuck.

Just an idea - any views?
Offline Dreadnought  
#11 Posted : 27 December 2011 22:10:11(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Track cleaning has been a bit of a headache this past year. I did renovations in the room next to my trains. I thought I had the track well protected, but a fine dust was everywhere. Since I have become a track cleaning "expert" (Well, I think so).

Marklin Track cleaning car. Mine has two felt pads that run along the track. They are spring loaded. This causes them to maintin a good pressure on the tracks. There are replacement pads that come with it. The pads can be washed, but they are small and could easily go down the drain. Learning to put the plug in before washing was one of the first things I learned. I am suspicious the pads smear as much dirt as they pick up.
up.

Lux. As mentioned it is expensive. It is also delicate. The first one I got arrived broken. I have an excellent dealer, who promptly replaced it. I pull it slowly around with my BR 81. It has to be pulled, not pushed. I suspect its couplers are not realy made for pushing. I run the roller brush first, and behind it the vacuum car. I have the roller turning in reverse to the direction of travel of the car. The roller seens to reach the centre studs. The vacuum car picks up an amazing amount of very fine black grit. This system seems to remove the black mud like build up from the tracks.I notice the roller misses the outside on some of my standard curves. Both the roller and teh brush for the vacuum have set screws which allow them to push down more on the track. They are easy to adjust, but take some playing with to get just right.

Hand: I use M track. Some of it is quite old, ie 1958 to 1968, and younger. Running my fingers along the track is a good test. A black line left on the finger is a sign cleaning is needed. The finger actually works wellif you are not doing too long an area.

A good variation on the finger is a rag with some rubbing alcohol on it. This is easier on the fingers. Also people do not stare at the "track marks" on your fingers.In my case this was not enough. I then pulled the problem areas up. I took each track and did the cloth and alcohol rub. I also did the "spades" that carry the current between each track. Finally I took a tooth brush and dipped it in the alcohol. I used it to get into the rail joiners. (At this point I got a blistering reproof from "herself", and had to calm her down by running our and getting her a new tooth brush. She needed one anyway. How was I to know that old looking one was hers?)

Track erasor. I have been told these are not a good idea unless the track is rusted. Apparently even old M track had a protective coating which the abrasive erasors take off. I have used it on rusted track, or on areas that are very stubborn. The result is good, but I suspect tracks on which I have done that rust more readily and need extra finger and alcohol treatment.

I know this topic has had a lot of airing. This is also a rather long post. Please forgive me if I have gone on too long
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline kbvrod  
#12 Posted : 28 December 2011 02:37:49(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Maintenance cleaning program,.....Wink

Dr D
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 23 June 2012 13:32:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: davevo Go to Quoted Post
UserPostedImage

Not really, I see pit marks left by the rust, but that's about it. Am I missing something?
I was very gentle, just till I saw a shine coming through, then I gave it a good rub with a worn out shoe brush.
This will probably have me labeled as a total neanderthal, but hey, I've only been at this for a week BigGrin

I think the problem with sandpaper may be that it removes any protective coating placed on the rails by the manufacturer, and may increase the risk of oxidization (rust) forming on the spots where sandpaper was used.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline witzlerh  
#14 Posted : 25 June 2012 17:26:17(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have cleaned a lot of track and also have done polishing for mold making in the plastics industry.

Microfibre cloths are the best to pick-up almost anything...even oils. On more stubborn stains, I will use a white eraser (Staedler is the best) wetted with rubbing alcohol.
I do have the peco abrasive cleaners but as mentioned, they do scratch. I only use them or fine stone to smooth track ends, usually when the M-track was bent or dented.

I do not use the abrasive cleaner for cleaning. It does scratch and those scratches only collect more dirt. Also as mentioned many times before, it will remove the coating (chrome, blacking, phosphating etc.) You may not see them but they are there.

Molds typically are polished and then a coating is applied for surface protection for some plastics. I learned the hard way that if you place a scratch in the mold, there goes a few hours to polish it out by hand.

I have tried the Lux cleaner and will get a Marklin track, cleaning car. These are good for track maintenance and will defenitely prolong the need to hand clean but once the track is too dirty to affect lok performance, it is best to clean them by hand. I do have a wand that you can add a pad to to extend the reach and make it easy to clean under catenary.

Other posts have dealt with the primary cause of the stubborn dirt on track, too much lubrication on loks. Without the oil on the track, the track cleaning cars should keep up.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Rinus  
#15 Posted : 26 June 2012 08:09:58(UTC)
Rinus

Hi all,

Harald you are mentioning two interesting isues: prevention and repair.

For 'repair' i use a combination of Lux vacuum cleaner and polishing + a cheap Roco clean car. This works very good allready, allthough oil proves difficult too remove, I'm thinking of adding a Lux "Mittelleiterreinigungswagen" or puko cleaning car and a second polishing car with a felt brush.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

For prevention I'm thinking of a standalone version of the Lux wheel cleaner:

UserPostedImage

Cleaning by hand is not an option for me. To much track and, when the catenary, is on too risky.

My experience with sandpaper is that it will make grooves in the top of your track. This enables dirt to return more easily. In the long term ist not working for me..

Rinus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rinus
Offline witzlerh  
#16 Posted : 26 June 2012 19:59:13(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Rinus. You are correct. The more we clean our track, the less drastic measures are needed. If the loks and rolling stock are lightly oiled, cleaning track is not hard for any track cleaning device. The Lux vacuum cleaner and polisher and the track wiper cars that Roco, Marklin and others will do light cleaning.

However, I have used these devices on dirty track and they are only moderately successful in removing the gunk. My dad and I got carried away with over oiling the loks and cars and had to do heavy cleaning several times. After a year of not oiling and lots of cleaning, my tracks are finally staying clean to be maintained by the devices.

As my dad has more rolling stock and loks that have been over oiled, track cleaning is hard and can only be effective if done by hand. That oil combined with the rubber tire residue and dirt is hard to come off!Cursing

I am now enjoying clean tracks but I do have to stay on top of it. The short warm summers in Canada make it hard to spend time to do track maintenance.Cool Usually the first snow will bring a major track cleaning to make our layouts ready for the long winters.

No doubt about it, for regular track cleaning maintenance, the Lux cleaners and other track cleaning cars do help a lot.ThumpUp

Just don't forget to occasionally check the wheels too! They are the ones placing the gunk on the track.Angry
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Dreadnought  
#17 Posted : 27 June 2012 18:06:03(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I should have added a bit about wheel cleaning to my last post. I became something of an expert there too as a result of the construction I mentioned.

Track cleaning alone without wheel cleaning does not solve the entire problem.

I Do it by hand. I use a rag dipped in rubbing alcohol. It removes the black buildup on locomotive and carriage wheels. It is time consuming, but worth it. Most carriages it is easy to take the wheels out so that I only handle them, and not the whole carriage. Really bad, and stubborn nes I have scraped with a small screwdriver. I am not fond of that as I suspect it damages the wheels. Do wheels have a special finish on them I might be damaging?

Old locomotives I can turn the wheels by hand to get at all of the wheel. Newer digital ones have to go on the test track and moved about a quarter turn of the wheels.

What do members think of the Lux wheel cleaner? Price? Effectiveness ?