Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mjborelli  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2023 23:19:59(UTC)
mjborelli

Hello,

Has anyone tried the Marklin HO 46049 Track Cleaning Car 3-Rail for cleaning 3 rail Marklin c track, and if so does it seem to do a good job keeping the tracks clean?
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2023 03:29:11(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I have the Trix version (24050) and it works well enough for routine cleaning. Maerklin offered a double unit version (46010) for Insiders as a ten year membership anniversary model. I haven’t used that one, though.
Offline Harryv40  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2023 10:44:07(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mjborelli Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Has anyone tried the Marklin HO 46049 Track Cleaning Car 3-Rail for cleaning 3 rail Marklin c track, and if so does it seem to do a good job keeping the tracks clean?

Hi I have two of these cleaning cars, they do clean the outer rails, however not the central studs. They use small felt pads, I normally put a cleaning solution on then to help lift the dirt. The cars are fairly light weight so you may need some weight in them the help contact with the rails.
One thing I would do is order some extra pads they are small and get dirty quickly, you can clean them however.

Hope this helps

Harry
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2023 11:36:08(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hello mj Borelli, the center studs don't need cleaning. The slider shoes catch the grime. Clean those as needed.🙂
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 20 February 2023 11:53:12(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Not C-track, but K-track (with some M). Anyway here goes;

I have one. It does get crud on the felt-pads, but once the pads are dirty, the crud stays on the rails. I wouldn't rely on it to keep my rails clean (i.e. "free of crud").
Also I find that crud normally is so hard that it must be SCRAPED off. (I use a block of wood)
IMHO this would be okay for a very small layout, where the wagon can run continuously.
On my layout (with +30 trains in the shadow-stations), it simply doesn´t get enough running time.
I haven´t tried the felt with any liquid. I really dont want to. For problem-spots I use a cloth or tissue-paper wetted with WD40, and make sure to wipe again with a dry cloth.

In any case I find that 90% of the crud assembles on the wheels of the rolling stock.

Crud on tracks (IMHO again) only builds up slowly, and seems to always originate on the same few spots. F.x. at certain points (switches).

It´s funny that Harryv40 comment on its light weight; I find it quite heavy... ;-)

I agree with marklinist5999; Studs normally do not need cleaning. Any intent to use felt-pads on them, would just tear the pads up!
If your layout has been collecting RUST for some time, you could scrape the studs with a block of wood. In any case; the normal slider is the best tool to keep them funcional!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Pronto5  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2023 00:39:52(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Yes, I use that cleaning car for my C-track. It is good for basic cleaning. The pads are cleanable and washable too I believe and they are stiff pads, but not stone-like, like the cleaning car pads of the Walthers freight car (but that is for DC 2-track, though it may possibly have an AC wheelset as an option). So it would work for non-stuck on softer stuff, dust, pet hair, etc...