Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2009 22:50:07(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All,

Does Marklin still make the track cleaning cars? If so, how is it compared to the Herkat, Centreline and Lux cleaning cars in terms of price and performance.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline gachar001  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2009 23:26:19(UTC)
gachar001

India   
I had my eyes on a Lux 2 car cleaning set that was on eBay couple of weeks ago. Lost the bid. It sold for around US$280 and stores sell it for around US$550. Still kicking myself.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 22 October 2009 01:10:57(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Marklin cars can keep a clean track clean, but if you don't change the pads regularly it smears the grime over clean tracks.. Lux is a much better option.. Although others may disagree, the brush is very effective, but I don't think that the vacuum is as useful..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline drstapes  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2009 03:25:39(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
here is a link to the marklin cleaning car on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws...ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline Maxi  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2009 04:15:52(UTC)
Maxi

I think that the vacuum is worth every penny. The amount of fine dust it picks up from the track is rather surprising.
Offline TimR  
#6 Posted : 22 October 2009 05:44:19(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Haven't really thought about getting a track cleaning car,
sure need one though.
I find dust accumulate fairly quickly around the turnouts and cause some loks to stop.

Thanks for starting the thread, Ranjit..
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline old toot  
#7 Posted : 22 October 2009 07:56:38(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   

Hullo Ranjit yes they still make the car its 46042 and looks like mini dry goods wagon and when you lift the tops there are extra cleaning pads inside the car so you get two on the unit and four spares and we have one and it has a nice brakemans cab on the back sells for about nz 64.00 dollars okay
regards
bryan
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline Ranjit  
#8 Posted : 22 October 2009 09:39:54(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Gautham, Adrian, Geoff, Matthew, Tim and Bryan,

Thank you all for your inputs.

After reading some other threads regarding track cleaning cars, I feel that the LUX cars are the most popular albeit the very high price! Herkat, Centreline and Marklin cleaning cars are scantly mentioned. Is there anyone who has used these cars? If so, could you let us know how they compare with LUX?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline nevw  
#9 Posted : 22 October 2009 09:43:45(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Ranjit,
Nothing comes anywhere near the Lux cars. Yes thay do cost a lot but they do a magnificent job. With C track I probably run them around 2-3 times once a month, sometimes even longer between cleaning periods

M track has more sensitivity to dirt so the cleaning is done more frequently.
nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Eisenhower  
#10 Posted : 22 October 2009 09:57:21(UTC)
Eisenhower

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
<br />I think that the vacuum is worth every penny. The amount of fine dust it picks up from the track is rather surprising.

I have a set myself - I totally agree with Maxi, the vacuum cleaning car does an excellent job.
On C-track I have experienced that if a track peace completely misses conductivity, I use some very fine sand paper <u>once</u> on the studs and then drive my LUX cleaning car set over the track peace 3-4 times and voila.
Steen
Digital | C-Track | Epoche II-IV | Railroad & Co. 7.0 Gold | IB 1 | LocoNet
Offline Ranjit  
#11 Posted : 22 October 2009 14:16:18(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Neville and Steen,

Seems like LUX is a strong winner! Btw, Neville, did you receive a manual for the LUX in English?

Still waiting to hear about Centreline and Herkat.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 22 October 2009 14:20:27(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Ranjit
<br />Hi Neville and Steen,

Seems like LUX is a strong winner! Btw, Neville, did you receive a manual for the LUX in English?

Still waiting to hear about Centreline and Herakat.

Cheers,
Ranjit

No manual in English but when I asked they sent instructions in English.

There english manual was supposed to be ready in March this year,.

You do not really need it.

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Ranjit  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2009 15:06:24(UTC)
Ranjit

OK, Neville, thank you for the info.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Ranjit  
#14 Posted : 24 October 2009 11:58:42(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All,

I tested the two LUX cars at my local train shop this morning, and I found the product to be quite effective, but the price in local currency was way above my budget. I was quoted RM 2,550 which converts to USD 745.00 approximately! What a rip-off! LokShop sells them for around USD 600. I guess I will have to look at the prices on ebay. priced!

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline kimballthurlow  
#15 Posted : 24 October 2009 12:35:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Ranjit,
I personally would not buy a track cleaning car, because I have never needed it. I use C track.
I find that covering the layout with a painter's drop sheet (at hardware stores for a few dollars) keeps the track clean enough. It stops everything getting dusty as well.
I do however have some cars fitted with the Noch track pads (#60157), which clip on any piece of rolling stock. Again they are only a few dollars.

See http://www.noch.de/de/produktka...e3=&navi_Kategorie4=

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Ranjit  
#16 Posted : 24 October 2009 12:59:04(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Kimball,

Thank you for the info on the NOCH cleaning pads. I will take a look at that. Btw, what is a painter's drop sheet. Is this something that is heavy or light? Will the sheet damage the delicate items on the layout?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 24 October 2009 13:24:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Ranjit, a painter's drop sheet is a sheet used by painters to cover furniture and carpets, when painting or repainting inside. The proper sheets are quite a heavy fabric, but it is possible to purchase a light plastic sheet for not very much money from your local hardware / paint shop.

I often use an old bed sheet that may have become a bit worn out, the important thing is to use something that will not scratch the furniture, and I guess this would work for covering a layout as well.
Offline Ranjit  
#18 Posted : 24 October 2009 13:32:41(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi David,

Good. We are coming down to more simpler and cheaper solutions to keep our layouts clean.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline kimballthurlow  
#19 Posted : 24 October 2009 13:42:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Yes, the cheap plastic ones are great for a layout, as they are very light. I usually roll them up, and roll back on.
But if you have no tall obstructions (like delicate buildings or towers), you could wip them off with a quick tug.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline us.trains  
#20 Posted : 24 October 2009 20:11:52(UTC)
us.trains

I enjoy this :
http://www.lux-modellbau.de/html_fr/gleis_dh.htm
but you did too, so this is just to confirm !
Offline charles Sharpe  
#21 Posted : 24 October 2009 20:27:08(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I use the Lux Vac and I feel that the brush and vac do a good job but as to clean the tracks of the black film you need the use something else. At the moment I use the Marklin cleaning car with the 2 pads and I put some lighter fuel on them and that does a very good job but the pads do not last very long at all.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Marius in Africa  
#22 Posted : 25 October 2009 07:46:15(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by charles Sharpe
I put some lighter fuel on them and that does a very good job but the pads do not last very long at all.

I use the Marklin car with these pads as well. They are simple felt pads fitted to the bottom of the car. They do work OK but of course they only clean the outer rails. Are the pads available as spare parts? The original pieces that came with the car are not going to last for ever Smile

Does the Lux system clean the middle rail as well?

Cheers
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline nevw  
#23 Posted : 25 October 2009 07:59:37(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Marius in Africa
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by charles Sharpe
I put some lighter fuel on them and that does a very good job but the pads do not last very long at all.

I use the Marklin car with these pads as well. They are simple felt pads fitted to the bottom of the car. They do work OK but of course they only clean the outer rails. Are the pads available as spare parts? The original pieces that came with the car are not going to last for ever Smile

Does the Lux system clean the middle rail as well?

Cheers

Yes, it is a multi layer rotating felt roller.
You can also get a mild abrasive rollers.

Nev
Offline Rinus  
#24 Posted : 25 October 2009 10:01:00(UTC)
Rinus

In my pursuit to a perfectly clean track, I've had several dissapointments and quite a number of good ones!

Here is my list:
Noch cleaning pads - cheap & remove a lot of oil and grease. Dirt like rust, paint, dust, and paint from an airbrush won't be removed. On the negative side it doenst look that elegant.
Roco cleaning car - cheap & remove a lot of oil and grease. Some rust,and paint from an airbrush will be removed. However dust will remain there. Moreover its quite heavy to pull and certain switches are quite an obstacle.
Hercat car with rotating brush - rubish. Rotating brush won't rotate due to friction between track and brush. Also it derails at every switch. Designed vor 2 rail.
Lux vacuum cleaner+grinding combo - perfect! It removes al dirt. Trains drive perfect after several round with this device. You'll be amazed by the amount of dust collected by the vacuum cleaner. Positive thing is, that also the places you cant reach by hand, will be cleaned by this combo (tunnels, hidden stations, track under the catenary). Recently if fitted the grinding machine with a filt brush to deal with oil and grease stuff. On the negative side: it it as expensive as a nice train.

Dont know what lay out you have. If you have a larger one and you have the money, buy the lux. If you have a smaller one and you dont want to spend the money, go for a combination of Roco cleaning car and Noch pads.

Question: does any one know if and when the Lux "mittelleiterreinigungswagen (Jawohl!!)" or centerpiole cleaning car can be bought? Its announced for 2009 but it still cant be ordered.

Offline Ranjit  
#25 Posted : 25 October 2009 10:44:37(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you for the comparative information on cleaning cars, Evil. Any experience with the Centreline cleaning car?

Btw, what is this Lux "mittelleiterreinigungswagen (Jawohl!!)". Is this a new type of cleaning car?

Right now, I do not have a layout. I am in the process of planning, designing and constructing a layout.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline pa-pauls  
#26 Posted : 25 October 2009 10:49:46(UTC)
pa-pauls

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Evil R
Lux vacuum cleaner+grinding combo - perfect! It removes al dirt. Trains drive perfect after several round with this device. You'll be amazed by the amount of dust collected by the vacuum cleaner. Positive thing is, that also the places you cant reach by hand, will be cleaned by this combo (tunnels, hidden stations, track under the catenary). Recently if fitted the grinding machine with a filt brush to deal with oil and grease stuff. On the negative side: it it as expensive as a nice train.
Sounds good Smile Do you have a part number so I can order one confused
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Ranjit  
#27 Posted : 25 October 2009 10:58:13(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Evil,

I forgot to ask in my previous post, what a "filt brush" is? Do you mean felt? Where can I get one of these?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Ranjit  
#28 Posted : 25 October 2009 11:01:24(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Pål,

All product information, model numbers, etc. is available at http://www.lux-modellbau.de/. I hope you find it useful.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#29 Posted : 25 October 2009 11:11:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
To clarify Evil, is this the car you are referring to?

http://shop.lokshop.de/p...=LUX8820&language=de
Offline Ranjit  
#30 Posted : 25 October 2009 11:20:52(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Evil,

The felt brush is item number 9047, right?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Rinus  
#31 Posted : 25 October 2009 15:52:57(UTC)
Rinus

The combination vacuumcleaner/grinder, I bought is this one: http://shop.lokshop.de/p...50&products_id=25562

But there is a slightly cheaper one with a cheaper mabuchi engine.

Mittelleiter reinigungswagen:I ment this one: http://shop.lokshop.de/p...o.php?products_id=132046 Its a coach similar to the other two, but has a oscilating brush to deal with the 3rd rail.

Would be a nice contribution to my cleaning train!

Felt brush 9047 is what I bought, correct. Its quite easy to swap the brushes. No experience with the centerlineproduct.
Offline Rinus  
#32 Posted : 25 October 2009 15:57:20(UTC)
Rinus

There is a youtube video of the Lux combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...qh-E&feature=related
Offline Ranjit  
#33 Posted : 25 October 2009 16:27:20(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you so much for all that info, Evil.

I couldn't see much of the grinding and vacuuming operation in the video! Thanks anyways.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Marius in Africa  
#34 Posted : 27 October 2009 19:19:54(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Hallo guys

I had a look at the Lux-Modellbau website and then at Lokshop as well. Since i could not find and explanation of the “Mittelleiterreinigung – MLR1” system i e-mailed Lux-Modellbau and received a quick response from Sylvia Lux to give me some guidance. NOTE that i have translated most of this from German, my German is very limited so there could be mistakes! If one of our German speaking members can check my translation i will forward the original info via e-mail.

The “Mittelleiterreinigung – MLR1” car (part no. 9018 – for the car fitted with a digital decoder unit) is available as a fully assemble unit which can be used with or without the “vacuum car” from Lux. The centre rail cleaning car has a “miniature belt sander” fitted underneath the car which only cleans the centre rail. The “belt” can be replaced as a spare part number 9049, and i assume it will be a very “soft / mild abrasive action” material.

Alternatively you can buy this “miniature belt sander” as a part (part no. 9029) and fit this to your “outer rail” scrubber (part number 9010 to 9027). Thus you will be able to alternatively change the cleaning car to clean either the outer or centre rail on three rail systems.

They also have a system / technology called SSF-09. Apparently this technology is now available on their track cleaning & vacuum “cars” and allows the stop / start control of the locomotive which is used to pull the cleaning & vacuum cars.

Regards
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.