Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ozzman  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2008 01:21:51(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Has anyone used one of these for Z scale? If so, what was your experience?
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline ztrack  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2008 16:30:56(UTC)
ztrack

Gary,

There are a number of different track cleaning cars for Z scale. Yes, I have used them and continue to use them. First, I have two of Marklin's track cleaning rail busses. They really don't clean the track. They will remove large debris, but the rails still need cleaned by another method.

I also have Marklin's gondola with cleaning pad. I like this much more. I soak the pad in isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol really removes the residue.

Aztec manufacturing offers a very nice Z track cleaning car. It uses a roller embedded in the chassis of the car to slightly scrub the rails. I run this in the train and it really helps to keep the rail clean.

I have found track cleaning blocks are good to use, but you have to be careful. Some will leave a residue which can make the tracks and locos dirtier in the long run. My preferred method to clean track is a soft cloth with isopropyl alcohol on it. Also, I use Gaugemaster HF1 track cleaners. I love these devices and they really help the trains to run smoothly and not be affected by dirty track.

Rob Kluz
Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
The Magazine For Z Scale Model Railroading.
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com
Offline Breitenfurt  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2008 19:17:17(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Gary. Can't help you as I have never managed to acquire a track cleaning wagon but wanted to add to Rob's comments.

At my last exhibition I decided to take up one of the ideas from Z-Track's site and used balsa wood soaked in IPA. I cannot say that I didn't have any problems, but they were minimal and mostly at the end of day. When I did use the balsa (on side grain, not end grain) it always got very dirty very quickly. The only place where it didn't work was one short length of rail so that I used a fibreglass pencil. Worked a treat.

Re the pencil and abrasive rubbers, you would be amazed how much dirt they leave between the rails (after all, they do wear out).

Re the Gaugemaster/Relco units, they are great but prolonged use can cause pitting of the wheels. I use mine (on my n-scale test oval) for a few circuits of the track and then turn it off again. I have been told that they must not be used with coreless motors as they can cause the motor to overheat. maybe someone can clarify.

All the best,
Chris.
Offline ztrack  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2008 16:18:21(UTC)
ztrack

Gary,

I have been using the Gaugemasters for 10 years. So far, no problems with pitting. Also I use these with coreless motors. Again, no problems with overheating. They difference may be that we are running a less than 8 volts. I also use the AC from the Marklin transformer. This I believe this is 12 volts. The Gaugemaster prefers 16 volts, but I find that the 12 works great.

Rob
Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
The Magazine For Z Scale Model Railroading.
www.ztrack.com
www.ztrackcenter.com
www.ztrackresale.com
Offline Breitenfurt  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2008 22:46:15(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Rob.

Re the GM/Relco, I was reporting 2nd hand as I haven't had Z long enough to get any experience.

Re the coreless motors, I may have been muddling this up with their use with PWM rather than GM/Relco units.

I will see if I can find my sources for both statements.

Chris.
Offline Breitenfurt  
#6 Posted : 19 December 2008 23:13:52(UTC)
Breitenfurt

OK, I have searched and found two sources. The first, re Relco units, states that pitting does occur on steel rails and some wheels, depending on the material. I could find no reports of pitting of NS rails and one confirmed report of the pitting of brass wheels (on a larger gauge presumably) So it is a case of trial and error.

I now have four Relco units for use on my Z scale layout but they will be powered through biased or timer switches so that they are not left on all the time.

I will also be using hybrid PWM/DC controllers once I have the time to build them.

Chris.