Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeFu  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2003 12:09:42(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I know this topic have been discussed, but new solutions arrive continuously.

confused What is the best solution (price/performance) for cleaning Märklin tracks? (I have M tracks). After the summer break, I cleaned all tracks manually (using Isopropanolol), the result was good, but the work was SO boring... [xx(]

confused Also, are there good solutions for cleaning locomotive and car wheels?

Needless to say, when I started the layout, everything worked excellent - Locomotives, solenoids, decoders, feedback modules... This is one of many occasions when you don't regret that you(r dad) selected the Märklin path! biggrin

Cool Peter
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Thanos  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2003 14:46:19(UTC)
Thanos

A new solution is the Marklin 46010 Anniversary Track Cleaning Car for Insider members (only for those that have been members for 10 years). [:(]

UserPostedImage

The model consists of two permanently coupled cars that come with a built-in track cleaning device that consists of a metal block that moves vertically with parallel polishing felt surfaces. The cleaning surface can also be removed and washed. I hope that they will offer it to everybody one day. [^]

Personally I use the Herkat car.

Thanos

Offline rschaffr  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2003 16:32:12(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I bought the Lux track/catenary cleaning car. I am generally satisfied with the job it does on the track but have had a problem when I configure it for catenary. It seems that the torque of the cleaning rotor causes the car to flip on it's side in catenary mode, particularly when it is cleaning the thinner wires, such as my Viessmann. I have considered adding lead weights to the car, but have not gotten around to it yet. Anyone else experiencing this?
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline rschaffr  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2003 16:39:47(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Sorry. I keep forgetting to "sign" these posts.

-Ron
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline alonso231gery  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2003 18:01:35(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
does it work for c tracks?
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline rschaffr  
#6 Posted : 27 September 2003 04:44:18(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Alonso:

Yes. I currently have a mixed K/C layout (wanted to use the C-track I got in a starter set), and the Lux car worked fine on both types. I haven't strung any M-track together to test it on that, but I would suspect that it would be ok there. I am pleased with the results on the track. As I said, my only problem is with cleaning the catenary.

-Ron
-Ron
Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 27 September 2003 04:48:47(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Please let me add...I am using the Lux car on a digital layout...it is addressed the same as a locomotive. I don't know how it works on an analog layout. (I suppose it is in the literature with the car..When I go downstairs later I'll check it out)

-Ron
-Ron
Offline tnx jake  
#8 Posted : 27 September 2003 18:43:51(UTC)
tnx jake

Hi all,

I am using C track and I have tried a number of track cleaning cars including the Lux. The Lux vacuum works well, but I was not as pleased with the track cleaning car. In addition, they are very expensive. I have found the Centerline track cleaning car to be the best I have ever used. It it inexpensive and easy to use. It fact I use two of them. The lead car has the cleaning fluid (I use Ronson Lighter Fluid) and the second one has dry wipes on it to pick up the damp resedue. Several dealers in the US have them on their web sites. rjftrains@aol.com and Helmuts Hobbies are two that come to mind. Go there to get the rundown.

Jack

Jack
Offline PeFu  
#9 Posted : 27 September 2003 23:53:02(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Hi all,

Thanks for your input here!
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Thanos
<br />Personally I use the Herkat car.

Are you satisfied with the Herkat car? Article N.o.? I found a few on http://www.herkat.de/SR-.../body_sr-wagen%20h0.html ...
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Tnx Jake
<br />The Lux vacuum works well, but I was not as pleased with the track cleaning car... I have found the Centerline track cleaning car to be the best I have ever used

Why were you not pleased with the Lux track cleaning car? Is it (two pieces of) the Centerline Model D35 you are using? http://www.centerline-products.com/rail_wheel.htm How about roller covers for the Centerline car? How are they fixed to the cylinder? Should one buy a few extra packages of covers (10 pcs/package), or can they be washed?

Cool Peter
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Thanos  
#10 Posted : 28 September 2003 14:31:04(UTC)
Thanos

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Are you satisfied with the Herkat car? Article N.o.?

It could be better! I believe that there are better solutions from other manufacturers. The article number is 1356. I also use the SR24 multipurpose fluid (ie. cleaning, smoke fluid and lubrication). I have heard that the Centerline car is the best. Still, I believe that the Marklin model 46010 might be the best (they make the tracks they know better?).wink
Thanos

Offline tnx jake  
#11 Posted : 28 September 2003 20:44:05(UTC)
tnx jake

Peter and all,

My experience was that the Lux did not clean my tracks well at all. However, their vacuum car did pick up dirt on the track and was particularly good in hard to reach arear. I just use a regular vaccum cleaner wand now. I have found that a "wet" system works better than a dry one.

I use two of the Centerline cars. The first car has lighter fluid on the roller and the second car is dry to take up the residue. The wipes are tied on with a thread and are thrown away when done. I assume they could be washed but I have never done that. The are cut from a cleaning type paper rag that is available in any super market here. I belive it is called "handi wipes". Once you see the material, I am certain that similar types are available in Greece.

Jack
Offline rschaffr  
#12 Posted : 28 September 2003 23:24:19(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Hi, all. As to my Lux car cleaning car...it has an abrasive fiber wheel (like steel wool) that polishes the track. It has worked well for me, although I know there are less expensive solutions that do as well, if not better on the track. My main reason for choosing the Lux is for the catenary cleaning option, which, as I have stated, leaves a lot to be desired. I have a large number of track segments that are difficult, if not impossible, to reach adn I needed a solution for both track and catenary.

-Ron
-Ron
Offline tnx jake  
#13 Posted : 29 September 2003 00:26:45(UTC)
tnx jake

Hi Ron,

Well I could never get my Lux to work on the catenary either. I even spoke to the representatives at the Nuremberg Toy Fair and could not get a good response. I have put a wiper like I use on the Centerline Track on a car with a pantograph and it works reasonably well.

Jack
Offline rschaffr  
#14 Posted : 29 September 2003 04:38:15(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Jack:

Thanks. I'll try that. When I get around to it, I still plan to try to add some lead to the lux car and see if it helps. Been too busy on other tasks lately (layout extension) to take the time.

-Ron
-Ron
Offline tnx jake  
#15 Posted : 29 September 2003 06:38:04(UTC)
tnx jake

Hi Ron,

I know what you mean. I just moved and will start laying track this week. I am going to the Toy Fair again next February and hope to see if I can get a better answer. If I do, I pass it along.

Jack
Offline rschaffr  
#16 Posted : 29 September 2003 15:57:04(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I'm going to the Internationale Modellbahn-Ausstellung in Munich the beginning of December. I believe that a Lux rep will be there. I plan to ask them about this problem, also.

-Ron
-Ron
Offline tnx jake  
#17 Posted : 29 September 2003 17:00:18(UTC)
tnx jake

Ron,

Thanks, let me know what you find out.

Jack
Offline jmcveigh  
#18 Posted : 06 October 2003 18:32:38(UTC)
jmcveigh

I agree with the comments about the Centerline Products car. I also use a pair of them, and use Ronson lighter fuel or Naptha as my primary solvents. I also use Goo Gone, as described at the Centerline web site &lt;http://www.centrelineproducts.com&gt;. I believe that the cloth used for cleaning, known as Handi-Wipes® in the U.S.A., is known as J-Cloth in Europe. I wash and reuse my strips. The brass roller simply drops into a void in the centrer of the car. It is not necessary to use a thread to secure the cloth strip to the roller unless you want to be able to reverse direction without lifting the roller out of the car, rotating it 180 degress, and dropping it back into the center of the car. The CLP cars do not remove every last molecule of grunge, especially at turnouts (because the elevated Pukos elevate the roller), but the CLP cars to get most of the crud.
J.J. McVeigh
Offline Frostie  
#19 Posted : 06 October 2003 21:50:24(UTC)
Frostie

United States   

There will probably be many of the 10 year insider cars available on Ebay when they come out. I have seen the 10 year insider locomotive appearing on E-Bay as "Buy it Now" for as low as $490.00 US. I have seen about 10 locomotives thus far transacted on Ebay.

When the track cleaning car comes out my guess is you you will probably see it then.

Robert "Frostie" Frost
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline Webmaster  
#20 Posted : 06 October 2003 23:37:02(UTC)
Webmaster

Hi J J, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the practical advice on how to use the Centerline cleaning car. I am a little bit worried about the turnouts, though...wink

Does anyone know a good European source for the Centerline Products?
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline tnx jake  
#21 Posted : 06 October 2003 23:56:16(UTC)
tnx jake

Hi Juan,

I have never had a problem on my C track turnouts with the Centerline. I do tie them down with thread and maybe that is the difference. I have found that they seem to pick up more of the residue when they are tighter to the drum.

I have no idea who represents them in Europe. Perhaps you can e-mail them and ask them.

Jack
Offline Thanos  
#22 Posted : 07 October 2003 11:17:36(UTC)
Thanos

Hi Juhan, all:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Does anyone know a good European source for the Centerline Products?

At http://www.centerline-products.com I found a dealers list. They have dealers in Europe. In Germany try the following links:

http://home.t-online.de/home/all-american-trains/
http://home.t-online.de/home/modellbahnland.arts/
http://www.us-modellbahn.de/
Thanos

Offline jcegido  
#23 Posted : 09 October 2003 16:34:28(UTC)
jcegido

Hi all,
I have to agree with some of our friends. I´ve got both Lux stuff, the track cleaner and the vacuum. Both with digital decoder and Faulhaber motor. I´m satisfied with the vaccum car, cause I can activate it from my IB and increase-decrease its suction power with the knob. That isn´t the same for the cleaning car. You can start it when you want, but it always works with top motor speed. It should be desirable to control that speed too, maybe in this case and with different types of wipe-clothes, the results should improve.
I´ll keep waiting for Märklin ones.
Regards,
Juan Carlos
Offline rschaffr  
#24 Posted : 08 December 2003 02:45:29(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Hi.

Just got back from Munich. I really enjoyed the show there, also took a quick trip to Nurnberg to the DB museum.

As to my Lux cleaning car in overhead mode, the rep at the booth said that I had too much pressure on the cleaning head. You need to place the cleaning head between the leaves of the spring (not use the entire spring tension). You may have to experiment with the right tension. I don't recall seeing anything about that in the directons, but I haven't gone downstairs to check yet. Been unpacking.

-Ron
-Ron