Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2018 22:34:32(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
A few years ago I bought both the LUX track cleaning car and the Vacuum car. Both operated normally when I first got them, but I noticed that the track cleaning car would sometimes stop rotating the brush while moving. Now the only time the brush rotates is when power is first applied and when the car initially starts moving. So I know the motor works. However, after a few seconds of movement the rotation stops and I am merely pulling a dead car around the track.

Has anyone else experienced that? I notice that there is a 3 pack of rechargeable batteries inside the car. Could they be the problem if they are not holding the charge?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Peter
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2018 13:07:24(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Peter

I don't have these cars but it looks very much like a battery needing replacement.
One way to make sure is to measure the battery output voltage when the motor is on. It should be no lower than 1.2V/ battery cell.
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2018 16:15:43(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
It's a 3 pack of rechargeable batteries link soldered in series. I get 4.1 V DC across the 3 which is slightly lower than expected but certainly not out of range.
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2018 21:15:40(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'd leave the top off and measure the voltage on the batteries when the motor stops spinning. It may well be its a battery problem depending on how the battery-to-motor circuit is designed; if the current first needs to charge the battery before its available to power the motor, or the motor is only powered by the battery regardless of track voltage, then the small amount of power the old battery manages to store may get exhausted. Can you remove the battery pack and run the car then?

It could also be the motor has failed in some way and shuts down after some time of operation. Not knowing the design of the motor and its systems its just another guess.

Have you sent an email to LUX to see what their thoughts are? They may know from broader experience what the likely causes are and better direct efforts to address things.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2019 18:39:38(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Well it has been about a month since I e-mailed LUX in German regarding this problem and I received no response. I assumed I would not hear over the Christmas period, but would have thought I would have had some form of response by now.

The motor still spins nicely when power is first applied, but shuts down upon car movement. I'm not sure how the motion circuit should work, but it obviously isn't.

Peter
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2019 18:50:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Is there a magnetic or optical sensor on the wheels that could be dirty ? That would be easier than a silicon MEMS sensor.
I’d look for something on the wheels to see if dirt is blocking it.

If they took the holidays off (common) then when they get back they need to work through the backlog of emails etc.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline PMPeter  
#7 Posted : 14 January 2019 19:23:42(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I agree that it takes a while to work through a backlog of e-mails. However, I sent out 3 e-mails on the same day to Lokshop, Roco, and LUX. I have heard back from Lokshop and Roco shortly after New Years and I would have thought that both of them would have a larger backlog of e-mails then LUX.

Peter