Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline petestra  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2012 16:16:37(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi,
Last year I bought the 46042 track cleaning car and it's been pretty good keeping my
M and C rails clean. I just wanted to share my method of cleaning them with you all.
The wagon comes with 3 pairs of cleaning pads. When new, they are black on the sides
and gray on the top and bottom (actual side that touches the rails). After use I have been
placing them into a small cup with about 1cm deep of liquid laundry detergent. I left them
to soak in the cup for 3 or 4 days. Then I wipe them with an old toothbrush and rinse them off.
After they dry off, they are again ready to use, keeping the same colors as they were when new.
PeterSmile
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2012 22:12:59(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
My method is place in a Small mesh calico bag with a string closed top and put in the washing machine with the laundry.
Same Result.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2012 22:21:58(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Thanks Nev. Sounds great! PeterBigGrin
Offline sudibarba  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2012 03:59:03(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I have never had a cleaning car. Are they really worth it? In tunnels, I can see the benefit. But out in the open in a large layout do they help?
It seems like it's a lot easier to take a cloth with acetone or some other solvent and wipe them down. Considering how much I get when I wipe them, I would think you would have to spend a lot of time cleaning the pads.
How do you feel about this?
Thanks,
Eric
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2012 11:26:17(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Eric, I use the track cleaning car intermittently between cleanings with a paper towel. My layout has
3 tunnels and a major hidden area and it is on two levels so the uphill tracks need to be cleaned fairly
often. Thanks. PeterSmile
Offline Token  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2012 12:50:16(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Hi all,

I have two hidden stations, both behind extensive tunnels so I went for over-kill and create a 'works train'which comprises a modified wagon with a rolling cylinder, wrapped in chux multicloth (cut down to size and soaked in isopropyl). This wagon is manufactured by centerline products in the USA and stocked locally (Sydney) by Hobbyco.

I was a bit dubious as to whether it would work, let alone the running characteristics but I must say, it cleans well and given the complex nature of my layout with gradients, spirals and multiple crossovers, I have never had an issue.

The train is powered by two BR86 with the above wagon in between. The remainder of the train comprises a crane wagon (for appearances), a 450072 maintenance car with a noch cleaning pad on one of the axles (to hopefully remove any residue left by the roller) and finally the marklin cleaning car 46042 mentioned above.

As I said, over-kill but it seems to do a good job and the sight of two BR86's steaming with sound is pretty cool!ThumpUp

I will try to get a photo uploaded if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Token.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Token
Offline petestra  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2012 14:20:24(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Token, thanks. yes, a photo would be great! PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline Token  
#8 Posted : 23 March 2012 11:01:30(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Hi Peter,

please excuse the unimpressive finish on the layout - still very much a work in progress.

The first image gives you an idea of the function of the roller where you can see it is picking up the grime off the centre studs as well as the rails. The last photo gives you a view of one of my two hidden stations which is accessable from underneath. The train is no substitute for elbow grease but as I have named it on my CS2, it is a maintenance train which I run at every opportunity. Both BR86's have been upgraded to MFX thanks to the kind intervention of Norm and the guys at Train Trader (small plug BigGrin ) but the engines appear to be robust enough to cope with the regular workload and do look and sound great!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I forgot to mention the last wagon which is a 46039 fmr K.W.St.E. gondola - decoration only but I think they are brilliant!

BTW - my layout is aimed at mid era III (1959-1962). My inspiration loosely came from Bert Dewill's wonderful work with a through station though I have double tracked throughout with hidden stations at each 'end'. The train heading 'south' hits the hidden station and returns 'northbound' if that makes sense?

When I have made it a bit more presentable, I will share more of it.

Regards,

Token.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Token
Offline petestra  
#9 Posted : 23 March 2012 11:24:22(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Token,
Thanks so much for sharing your work train! I think I will make one too. I'd love to
see more photos of the layout too.
Cheers,PeterThumpUp ThumpUp Cool
Offline kbvrod  
#10 Posted : 23 March 2012 16:33:18(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Token,all,

Thanks for sharing! I did something along these lines on the old layout.

Dr D