Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline anthpao  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2011 12:36:52(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
I want to add telex couplers to some of my locomotives. All of the have Esu decoders so I can use the function mapping to enable telex couplers.
I am familiar with marklin's telex couplers 117993 and I can't say that I am totally happy with their functionality.
So my question is: Are Roco's telex couplers better and more reliable than Marklin's and are they compatible with Marklin's close couplers.

P.S. The problem i have with Marklin's is that if I enable the coupler and then disable it, the coupler still remains enabled until I press the STOP button. This happens only with the locomotives that I retrofitted with telex couplers.
It doesn;t happen with 37903 Loco that uses the same type of close coupler.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2011 19:36:34(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: anthpao Go to Quoted Post
I want to add telex couplers to some of my locomotives. All of the have Esu decoders so I can use the function mapping to enable telex couplers.
I am familiar with marklin's telex couplers 117993 and I can't say that I am totally happy with their functionality.
So my question is: Are Roco's telex couplers better and more reliable than Marklin's and are they compatible with Marklin's close couplers.

P.S. The problem i have with Marklin's is that if I enable the coupler and then disable it, the coupler still remains enabled until I press the STOP button. This happens only with the locomotives that I retrofitted with telex couplers.

Hi Anthpao,
I refered this thread to my friend and list member drwhittle, known locally as "The Train Dr" and hoped he would comment on the forum, but..........
He is converting my M37900 (among other projects) to an M4 decoder with sounds,double "A" light function and Telex couplers using the 117993's. We are just waiting for the new Marklin Decoders(MFX) to see if they provide a better solution, otherwise it will be an ESU M4.
His comments re your difficulty with them;
"Re the telex coupler thing, I think the Greek Gentleman has probably messed up his retro-fitting somehow. No reason for them to do that."
So check your wiring and function settings maybe ??!!

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline anthpao  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2011 21:43:27(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
Thank you for your time.
I will try to see if there is a "ground problem" with the common (+) wire and the function wire (purple).
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 25 October 2011 23:38:06(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

The thing to remember is that a Telex is basically a switch/point/turnout/signal,a momentary contact,unlike the other functions that a lok decoder has to preform.If a decoder can be programmed to send the single impulse to the Telex,AND it can be uncoupled(without movement),you have a problem.Look at M or any one else uncoupler tracks,...long?

Roco,a few years ago they did come out with an remote uncoupler on a Köf I(?),big and ugly and not available as a spare part because the average Joe would burn it out,....

Dr D
Offline NZMarklinist  
#5 Posted : 26 October 2011 04:31:06(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Thank you for your time.
I will try to see if there is a "ground problem" with the common (+) wire and the function wire (purple).

Hi Anthpao,
The first thing I would check, which you can do with either MCS or an ESU Lokprogrammer, is to make sure you have the function for your telex's enabled as a "momentary" function Confused not permanent Cursing

Cheers
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 26 October 2011 09:49:20(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

Hi Anthpao, when I installed telex couplers in my Marklin #30322 BR81, I was lucky enough to install an ESU Loksound V3.5 decoder & it was most probably an early version but it offered you a time setting for telex & you could set the number of seconds you wanted it to remain on. The MFX loksound decoder unfortunately did not afford one that luxury & one could set it only as a "momentary setting". That is about all I can add to the subject for you.

D.A.Banks