Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline anderspihl  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2012 13:24:05(UTC)
anderspihl

Denmark   
Hi

Last week I got my first digital steam loco with telex couplers (second hand).

Everything works fine, but it seems the coupler is too low to for my old carriages (metal couplers) to stay coupled. They simply "loose the grip".

It this just a normal incompatibility between modern and old couplers?

Thanks

Best regards

Anders Pihl Knudsen
Best regards
Anders Pihl Knudsen
--
CS2 60213+MS1, 60052 60VA Trafo, K-tracks, Viessmann 5211 (K83)
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2012 13:26:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Anders,

Some of the newer Telex only work well with Marklin close couplers. I have that problem with some of my recent locos. Which loco are you writing about?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2012 15:05:04(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
this seem to be the case.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline jeehring  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2012 16:51:56(UTC)
jeehring

...as for me I prefer the "old way" Telex...
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2012 22:36:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Anders
I have both Telex types and I believe the new ones were not intended to work with old Märklin couplers because of height fluctuations and because of the size of the locking tongue.
Personally I have now only close couplers on all wagons and locomotives and the new Telex it working much more smoothly and allows a close distance between the locomotive and the waggons.
Sometimes, the new Telex couplers don't fall down without a little coupling bump and may require very delicate intervention.
New Telex Opened
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline anderspihl  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2012 08:42:10(UTC)
anderspihl

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Anders,

Some of the newer Telex only work well with Marklin close couplers. I have that problem with some of my recent locos. Which loco are you writing about?

Hi,

It is article 37921 - a German BR41 with digital decoder, sound generator, steam generator and - as mentioned - telex couplers.

BR

Best regards
Anders Pihl Knudsen
--
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 09 November 2012 08:49:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: anderspihl Go to Quoted Post
Hi Anders,

Hi,

It is article 37921 - a German BR41 with digital decoder, sound generator, steam generator and - as mentioned - telex couplers.

BR

Thanks. I think that loco has the same type as my 37885 Br043. That Telex coupler is very much aimed at use with Marklin close couplers. Mine works well with close couplers, intermittently with modern Relex couplers, and not at all with the older, all metal Relex couplers.

With this loco I always use a "barrier wagon" which has close couplers between my loco and the rest of the train, or I only assign wagons with close couplers to its train, in case I want to shunt the wagons around.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline witzlerh  
#8 Posted : 09 November 2012 20:41:29(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have both types of telex couplers as well. Currently they are all packed away as the new train room is being built (along with the rest of the basement).

I have noticed issues with unreliable coupling. One thing that has helped was adjusting the relex or older couplings to the correct height using the Marklin coupling height gauge. Most of the couplers were at the correct height but some were not. Also the vertical tab was also not at the correct angle. A vertical or negative angle will encourage uncoupling while under strain and resist coupling. Too much positive angle does not want to let go.
However I do find that a little more positive angle than what the gauge recommends allows for more reliable coupling....

I have also notice that occasionally the new couplers are not at the correct height. On some this has been as a result of mishandling and so the pocket mount was not in the correct position. Once this was due to too tight packaging.

I am not complaining. Most NA cars require their couplers shimmed to the correct height so having to do this on Markln rolling stock once in a while is not an issue....once you are aware of it.

Another issue is sudden changes to track angle in the vertical plane due to track laid over steps or bumps may encourage uncoupling. I had a switch giving me problems until I noticed that a couple of decoder wires lifted one end of the switch too much. Problem was solved by restuffing the wires.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline anderspihl  
#9 Posted : 12 November 2012 15:07:05(UTC)
anderspihl

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: anderspihl Go to Quoted Post

Thanks. I think that loco has the same type as my 37885 Br043. That Telex coupler is very much aimed at use with Marklin close couplers. Mine works well with close couplers, intermittently with modern Relex couplers, and not at all with the older, all metal Relex couplers.

With this loco I always use a "barrier wagon" which has close couplers between my loco and the rest of the train, or I only assign wagons with close couplers to its train, in case I want to shunt the wagons around.

Hi Ray,

That sounds very much like my problem. I tested with a newer (7 year old) cargo wagon from a Digital starter set (BR 221 and K-track). The couplers have the same height. It works somewhat ok, but occassionally the couplers either won't let go or won't "hook up". I presume that's your experience too?

Anyway, I will definitely add the barrier wagon to my trains.

Thanks for the tip and thanks a lot

Best regards
Anders Pihl Knudsen
--