Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 01 December 2017 19:50:55(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So per the new Märklin video the shunting crocodile will get the newest version of telex couplers.

The activiation mechanism is something new, as can be seen in the computer animation at the front of the video. Its certainly smaller (no big block anymore).

I'm curious about the long term wear on the mechanism.. but a future video on the telex coupler should clarify some of that detail.

Maybe a few years down the road an upgrade to telex couplers will be something to do on many of the locomotives in the park (for those of us with eras that don't have cabs on the back end, where a loco change over is needed at end-stations, or when the direction of the train is reversed.)

telex-2018-new2.PNGtelex-2018-new3.PNGtelex-2018-new.PNG

Compared to the more recent telex design:
telex-2016.PNG

Edited by user 02 December 2017 00:45:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2017 21:39:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
So per the new Märklin video the shunting crocodile will get the newest version of telex couplers.

The activiation mechanism is something new, as can be seen in the computer animation at the front of the video. Its certainly smaller (no big block anymore).

I'm curious about the long term wear on the mechanism.. but a future video on the telex coupler should clarify some of that detail.

Maybe a few years down the road an upgrade to telex couplers will be something to do on many of the locomotives in the park (for those of us with eras that don't have cabs on the back end, where a loco change over is needed at end-stations, or when the direction of the train is reversed.)

telex-2018-new.PNG

That looks an interesting change in design. I do not like the current telex coupling because of the bulk in the design, but this new one looks a lot less bulky.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline MaerklinLife  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2017 07:55:59(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Very nice! I hope they will make a kit available to retrofit other locos. These things should not be spare parts with cryptic product numbers. I will look forward to the feedback from the people who buys the model.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Dean24  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2021 12:02:28(UTC)
Dean24

Australia   
Hi all,
are these new telex couplers available as a spare part yet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dean24
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2021 20:41:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I don’t think so.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Mark_1602  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2021 15:12:24(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Hi,

According to Märklin, the new 3rd generation Telex couplers will not be available separately and cannot be substituted for 2nd generation ones. Apparently, the firmware of the decoder has been adapted for the latest version of the Telex couplers.
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2021 22:11:13(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Mark_1602 Go to Quoted Post
... Apparently, the firmware of the decoder has been adapted for the latest version of the Telex couplers.

I think this relates to the comment in the v3.2.2.0 release notes ...

Version: 3.2.2.0 (May 19, 2020)
Feature: New logical function "Alternative engine sound" implemented for gear locomotives
Feature: Electric locomotive rear derailleur now available in three different variations
Feature: The volumes of the two channels of the driving noise can now be set individually
Feature: Electric locomotives now have more gear steps in the lower speed range[/b]

and the configurator reference for setting up a function called "FGL coupler"
UserPostedImage
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2021 22:20:10(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So the implication, if I’m tracking here, is that WITH the updated firmware (maybe for many existing decoders of maybe only with the newest decoder ) AND once there is normality and the new decouplers are available as spares THEN we may be able to retrofit the newer decouplers to older locomotives.

Now is it correct that updating the firmware on factory installed decoders an impossibility is? eI we may have to replace the factory decoder in any loco wich we want to use the new decouplers in?
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Mark_1602  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2021 14:25:31(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
... once there is normality and the new decouplers are available as spares THEN we may be able to retrofit the newer decouplers to older locomotives

No, Märklin doesn't want anyone to do that. They just won't sell that spare part separately. I guess some tech-savvy people could find a way to fix the compatibility problem, for example by fitting a new decoder, but they still can't buy the new Telex couplers from Märklin.

Obviously, this third generation Telex coupler is supposed to have a positive effect on the sale of new locos ...

Edited by user 03 January 2021 20:02:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2021 23:37:28(UTC)
bph

Norway   
So the implication, if I’m tracking here, is that WITH the updated firmware (maybe for many existing decoders of maybe only with the newest decoder ) AND once there is normality and the new decouplers are available as spares THEN we may be able to retrofit the newer decouplers to older locomotives.

Now is it correct that updating the firmware on factory installed decoders an impossibility is? eI we may have to replace the factory decoder in any loco wich we want to use the new decouplers in?

user "ktsolias" wrote that the new telex required special electronics, in this post. https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/m613275--New--telex-coupler#post613275

it's possible to firmware upgrade factory installed decoders, but the FGL option is not visible on cs3. It is even hidden in CS3 on MSD3 decoders. (cv programming might be possible but I haven't checked)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline Timnomads  
#11 Posted : 06 January 2021 13:20:01(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

user "ktsolias" wrote that the new telex required special electronics, in this post. https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/m613275--New--telex-coupler#post613275

it's possible to firmware upgrade factory installed decoders, but the FGL option is not visible on cs3. It is even hidden in CS3 on MSD3 decoders. (cv programming might be possible but I haven't checked)

Hi

I have had to return my Crocodile to Marklin twice with failing couplers, the last time they reprogrammed the decoder according to the enclosed documentation, I hope it does not have to go back a third time as it is now out of guarantee.

Tim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 06 January 2021 20:09:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post

Hi

I have had to return my Crocodile to Marklin twice with failing couplers, the last time they reprogrammed the decoder according to the enclosed documentation, I hope it does not have to go back a third time as it is now out of guarantee.

Tim

As your crocodile is an MHI item it has a 5 year guarantee. I don't think it is out of that yet (2018 item IIRC).