Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kbvrod  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2011 12:39:06(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
The Märklin factory in Germany has announced a new spare parts concept,
which will be effective June 1, 2011. The factory has stated it will take
approximately a year to implement the entire new spare parts concept. Here
is their announcement:

New Spare Parts Concept

Providing spare parts has always been an important theme in our company
strategy and one that we

have also always presented in the marketplace as a manufacturer of system
products. Also, providing

spare parts is a special service that you as a dealer offer to your
customers.

Since the beginning of the year we have begun to overhaul our entire spare
parts assortment for this

reason and in the process have used the following criteria as a basis for
the process:

- The assortment is being pared down. This will allow you and us to manage
this service more

efficiently.

- In the future we will basically concentrate on providing spare parts that
are necessary for the

functioning of our models.

- Entire assemblies will be collected into function groups and will no
longer have to be ordered

individually.

- Plug-in parts such as piping or other parts on a locomotive that are
painted will be available in the

future only as raw, unpainted parts. This means that they can thus be
painted for a specific

locomotive.

- Parts that cannot be installed by consumers will no longer be offered. In
the future our technicians

in the service department will be doing more to take care of repairing
defective models requiring

such parts. If you should need special parts in the future that are no
longer available in the standard

spare parts assortment, please contact Jeff Stimson at Märklin, Inc. Jeff
will contact the factory

to get information on availability and also coordinate order entry for the
special parts with Walthers.

- To help you quickly provide parts to end users of our products,
new packaging will be introduced for service parts that wear out with normal
use (e.g.: springs, pickup shoes, etc.). Currently, Walthers repackages many
parts in 2-packs, 4-packs, etc. Beginning June 1st, the factory will be
doing the packaging for common parts. In most cases, the per-pack quantities
will change. This new packaging will be designated by placing the letter "E"
in front of the original 6- or 8-digit part numbers. Walthers still has a
variety of service parts available in the current packaging system, and will
continue to ship them while supplies last. Your Walthers sales
representative can provide an in-stock list for service parts (Walthers
manu# 442-) on request. A list of the new package quantities and pricing for
the parts with the "E" prefix will be sent to dealers in mid-May.

In the coming months, as the Marklin factory institutes the new "E-prefix"
numbering system, Walthers will be discontinuing the corresponding current
part numbers. As this happens, backorders for the discontinued items will be
cancelled. Dealers will be notified of these cancellations through special
messages that will appear on their packing lists. Dealers will then need to
re-order these parts under the new part number.
Offline AshleyH  
#2 Posted : 27 May 2011 17:25:36(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
This is unbelievable! One of the key strengths of Märklin products is the spares support, I do not want to have to try and paint match a part if I break something off or a piece is missing when I receive a new model.
Only yesterday, while mechanically repairing my 218, I managed to snap a front step off, no problem I thought, a quick email to my favourite dealer and a few Euros or cents.

Also, who is to say what parts cannot be fitted by the end user. I guess this means things like lighting boards etc. I can currently fit any part to my locos. At the moment, it seems I can also make a better job of it than some of Märklin's factories.

I am seriously worried by the actions of the people now in charge at Märklin. Forced price rises by preventing your dealers discounting. Some crazy ideas about what some of their products are worth. As to what motor you will get in a loco, it is now virtually lucky dip from the Chinese and Indian parts bin. No more SDS.

The quality has gone, the prices have risen, the spares are going to be difficult or impossible to obtain. Decoders need to have a capacitor soldered on.

The plot has been lost...I think I will quit buying.
Offline dntower85  
#3 Posted : 27 May 2011 17:43:11(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
"- Parts that cannot be installed by consumers will no longer be offered. In
the future our technicians"

I can install anything, so all parts should be offered. Flapper

Did ESU's stocks just go up, I won't be trying to get a digital parts form marklin if there going to be that way about it.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline mmervine  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2011 22:20:55(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I also feel that one of the strengths of Marklin is the availability of spare parts. For example, I have Re 4/4II's that had Delta propulsion and upgraded these with motor parts, circuit boards, and warm white LED's using parts from newer models.

I also recently helped a friend replace the yellow LED's in his BR103 with warm white ones from the current production run.

It would be a shame if Marklin were to no longer make these parts available! If they didn't want us to upgrade our 'older' models, why would they offer the new motor and decoder upgrade kits?
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 28 May 2011 23:54:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Just another way to cut costs and increase profitablity. These and other meaures taken show the firm continue to struggle.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kariosls37  
#6 Posted : 29 May 2011 05:55:50(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I'm not too sure about this whole "if the end user can't easily replace it, send it to Goppingen" thingUnsure

Say, I have a loco that needs new gearing. This is not something that anyone can do. I would have to send my heavily modified 3003 from NZ to Germany, which is about 2 weeks by mail. There you have technicians who have a lot of experience with standard models, but my stuff is hardly standard. With the communication dramas between M* and their users that occasionally surface on the forum, I would expect some of my modifications to suffer due to miscommunication, not to mention the bill and at least a two month waiting time for a job that someone at the club could do in half the time for less than the cost it takes to ship the modelThumbDown

Let's hope whatever happens, they will still keep a good range of parts for the skilled DIY-er
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 29 May 2011 06:22:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
Let's hope whatever happens, they will still keep a good range of parts for the skilled DIY-er

I guess if Marklin doesn't do this, then those broken down locos that many people have, that may be missing a particular part but is otherwise fine, will become more valuable as enthusiasts seek to scavenge them for parts.
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 29 May 2011 06:25:01(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
It's more proof that Marklin can't comprehend what it means to be an international company. I am not going pay $100 to send a $20 wagon to Germany to replace a broken buffer.. My friends were right - I should have gone with Hornby.. Cursing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline TimR  
#9 Posted : 29 May 2011 10:59:03(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post

- Parts that cannot be installed by consumers will no longer be offered. In
the future our technicians in the service department will be doing more ...

That's quite insulting from Marklin...
thanks very much for having the guts to decide which parts that customers can or cannot install!

I looked into the magic crystal ball, and I saw a lot less Marklin in the future.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 29 May 2011 11:19:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Quote:
If you should need special parts in the future that are no

will contact the factory

I think all the parts you need will still be available, though you might have to contact the Marklin service department directly to get hold of the more obscure bits.

This whole article seems very much directed at the US market, so I would guess different arrangements will be in place for the rest of us.

Marklin's exceptional stock of spare parts for articles made up to half a century ago was always a drain on their profits, and an easy target for cutting back. My guess is that they are coming into line with what the rest of the industry offers.

...and yes, I'm defending Marklin again. I prefer to look at developments more analytically, rather than just join in an endless steam of condemnation. Anything which helps Marklin stay afloat without affecting the majority of customers too much is OK in my book.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 29 May 2011 13:10:41(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
The spare parts policy is World Wide.
Our local Dealer has a letter a few months ago.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline jeehring  
#12 Posted : 29 May 2011 13:17:15(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
. Forced price rises by preventing your dealers discounting. ....(....)....

....this is an idée reçue , a kind of second hand idea widely spread on forums.....but it's not exactly the reality.
I hope one day I'll succeed in giving explanations in an almost understandable English...

about plastic parts & pipes that must be painted.....I would like them to return to what they were doing few years ago : to sell a range of Marklin paints in small pots with reference of colors.A few basic colors only...
Managing a spare parts department like the one they have today = high cost ....as they have several liveries for each model, which was not the case 20/30 years ago. I see it as an opportunity to slightly weatherize our models or to give them a personnal touch, after all we are supposed to be model makers as well....
Offline kbvrod  
#13 Posted : 29 May 2011 13:22:32(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
This was an email sent to all M dealers in the US.

Dr D
Offline jeehring  
#14 Posted : 29 May 2011 13:28:18(UTC)
jeehring

yes ,it is not to customers, a same kind of e-mail was sent to european dealers as well....
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 29 May 2011 17:16:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
The spare parts policy is World Wide.
Our local Dealer has a letter a few months ago.

NN

I'm guessing I'm correct in saying that the whole world does not have to contact Jeff Stimson at Walthers?

I know the policy is world wide, it's the procedure for getting hold of the unusual spares which will be different. Unless anyone knows any different?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 29 May 2011 20:03:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I hope that this change will also include a dedication to ensuring that the models are delivered with the correct parts, so that I don't have to go and order the correct colour pantos for every Swiss lok, footsteps, etc...

Does this mean that some parts will be grouped in packs, eg, all the detail parts for the bogies in one pack, the parts for the lokface in another, etc? I think that Roco and other companies have been doing this for small parts for a while.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 29 May 2011 20:48:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Does this mean that some parts will be grouped in packs, eg, all the detail parts for the bogies in one pack, the parts for the lokface in another, etc?

Here's the explosion diagram for the Bluebird (28 positions):
http://www.maerklin.de/s....php?artikelnummer=26490

And the diagram for an older PA (72 positions):
http://www.maerklin.de/s....php?artikelnummer=37611

Those small plastic thingies that always fall out of the trucks (e.g. imitations of springs) that used to be available for 0.79 Euro are now included in the complete truck goodies bags for 49.95 Euro (unpowered truck)or 79.95 Euro (powered truck).

Some parts will be available in bags of more than one only. If a buffer breaks off, you may have to get a bag of four, ten, or whatever M* decide to put in that bag.

So far we had to pay 10 or 20 Euro to get a truck frame. If it's 50 or 80 Euro now, I'm afraid my satisfaction could shrink in the future.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline john black  
#18 Posted : 29 May 2011 22:15:09(UTC)
john black

United States   
No surprise at all. Remember when the company ran into financial trouble, a few years back ?
Remember also when we proposed to stock up our inventory in spare parts, then ?

Sometimes I think we're talking to the walls ... Glare
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline AshleyH  
#19 Posted : 29 May 2011 23:26:49(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Thank you for the link to the Bluebird parts diagram, it helps us to understand what is happening.

The concept is fine, but they have surely 'overbundled' some things. You can still buy the driver figure, but you haver to buy a complete motor bogie assembly including the motor housing and all the wheels and gears etc. Why the hell would anybody want to do that!!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#20 Posted : 30 May 2011 01:53:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

will contact the factory

I think all the parts you need will still be available, .......
...and yes, I'm defending Marklin again. I prefer to look at developments more analytically, rather than just join in an endless steam of condemnation. Anything which helps Marklin stay afloat without affecting the majority of customers too much is OK in my book.

Yes, the exploded diagram of the 39390 also shows how Marklin have integrated assemblies.
For example, you cannot purchase a screw for the link motion, you have to purchase the complete valve and link motion assembly.
But let's face it, that makes the company more efficient, and more likely to be solvent.

I agree with Ray.

How many of the millions of Marklin users really want to do their own repairs??
0.2%???
The sums tell the story. IMO, hobbyists who do their own major repairs are in the minority.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Dimi194  
#21 Posted : 30 May 2011 03:39:03(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
Quote:

will contact the factory

I think all the parts you need will still be available, though you might have to contact the Marklin service department directly to get hold of the more obscure bits.

This whole article seems very much directed at the US market, so I would guess different arrangements will be in place for the rest of us.

Marklin's exceptional stock of spare parts for articles made up to half a century ago was always a drain on their profits, and an easy target for cutting back. My guess is that they are coming into line with what the rest of the industry offers.

This is really dumb. I see why they are doing it, but they have to make sure they correctly define "Parts that can't be installed by normal people". I'm not very Marklin savy, but every time something has gone wrong with my locos, I have learnt how to fix it myself. This system will not allow this to happen. And for those who dont live in Europe, as others have mentioned, the postage costs and time are huge!
A good concept, but quiet annoying. But if it keeps Marklin afloat a bit longer...
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
Offline kbvrod  
#22 Posted : 30 May 2011 13:41:39(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

Quote:
0.2%???

Where did you get this information?

Dr D
Offline TrainIride  
#23 Posted : 30 May 2011 16:46:58(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Hi all,

Quote:
0.2%???

Dr D

Hi all,

A long time ago, Märklin was selling locomotives to be built by the customer !
Looks like people are less handy today.

Maybe these kits will be back and be sold as "spare part pack for item #..."

The difference between Märklin and the others is the spare parts availability
for the old indestructible models. Hoping the retailers will help.
TrainIride attached the following image(s):
kit.jpg
Offline kbvrod  
#24 Posted : 30 May 2011 21:19:06(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

Quote:
A long time ago, Märklin was selling locomotives to be built by the customer !
Looks like people are less handy today.

That is simply not true.More and more people are learning and doing their own repairs, conversions.See the BR 23 thread.Glare

Quote:
The difference between Märklin and the others is the spare parts availability
for the old indestructible models. Hoping the retailers will help.

Did you read the the whole post(s)Confused

Dr Dirt
Offline kimballthurlow  
#25 Posted : 30 May 2011 23:07:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi all,

Quote:
0.2%???

Dr D

Hi Dr D,

It was a question.
I have no idea of the number of hobbyists who would repair their own models.
Myself, I suspect they are in a minority, but I could be wrong.
If anyone has more concrete information, it would be useful.

I will start a poll in this forum, though of course that would not be truly representative of the wider model train hobby world.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline hennabm  
#26 Posted : 30 May 2011 23:18:57(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
I would rather have the parts available and make the repairs myself.

That is far easier and safer than sending the item to be repaired and hoping it will return without any further damage or without getting lost in the post.
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline kbvrod  
#27 Posted : 31 May 2011 00:27:37(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Kimball,all,

Quote:
It was a question.
I have no idea of the number of hobbyists who would repair their own models.
Myself, I suspect they are in a minority, but I could be wrong.
If anyone has more concrete information, it would be useful.

Understood my friend.From my reading and experience,I see more and more people wanting to do, DIY projects.
The ability to get spare parts will hinder that.

Dr Dirt
Offline john black  
#28 Posted : 31 May 2011 18:39:09(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post

A long time ago, M was selling locomotives to be built by the customer !
Maybe these kits will be back and be sold as "spare part pack for item #..."

Considering those kits are worth three or four times the money of the "regular" loco
(in condition unassembled, only) I seriously doubt they'll bring 'em back, alas ... Cool

UserPostedImage
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline gachar001  
#29 Posted : 31 May 2011 21:43:13(UTC)
gachar001

India   
I am thinking that this is a great opportunity for some dealers who want to make some extra cash. They can purchase a few extra locos of each type just to be used as spares. They can then sell these spares with a pretty fat profit margin and very quickly recover the cost of the loco. And all future sales of spare parts from that loco will be pure profit.
In a few years time, they would build a large inventory of spares.

Hell, I wouldn't mind paying $30 or $40 for a replacement hand rail if my only other option is to buy an unpainted one and then I having to figure out a way to match it to the loco WITH THE SAME EXACT COLOR.... what the F*** is M* thinking...Angry Angry Angry
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline john black  
#30 Posted : 01 June 2011 01:10:48(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: gachar001 Go to Quoted Post

a great opportunity for some dealers ... a few extra locos ... just to be used as spares.

Right, Gautham. And also good for simple users like us (of course in very limited quantity) Sneaky

Offline jonas_sthlm  
#31 Posted : 07 August 2011 17:26:19(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
It looks like the new part system is in place already Huh

I only need two and it starting to sale them 10 pieces package for €6 now Crying

E345760 - Kupplungsschacht schwarz 10 Stück"
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 07 August 2011 18:31:33(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
On the surface this could effect me converting locos.

ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown
It wouldn't be a problem of ordering couplings shafts but almost every loco has a different shaft. multiply this by 10 you could finish up with 100 of them.
Maybe they'll introduce a buy back scheme.

It is a fantastic idea especially looking at it from an Australian perspective, bought new loco a part is missing and you have to send the whole loco back to Germany so they can fit the painted part.

Gautham touches on a subject which is already happening on ebay Germany.
Locos are taking apart and each part is sold separately to gain maximum profits.

Over the years I've collected spare parts from mainly Roco and converted Marklin locos and it has filled up at least 20 compartment boxes.

When talking about saving money and increasing profits I can't see how this works, if you sell 10 per pack I assume you must produce at least a thousand to make it worth while and if you don't sell them they also could finish up with an inventory worth 1000's of Euros.
And what about the spare parts they don't produce any more, is this to say all our old locos are for what they are and stay this way, e.g. pantographs, reversing units,

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode