Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dimi194  
#1 Posted : 24 January 2013 04:23:31(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Hello everyone!

Today, my Marklin Percy (36121, which has mysteriously missing from the Marklin database now, along with all the Thomas and Friends itemsGlare ) stopped running, but the motor was still working. After a look inside, it seems the gear around the driving axle has split (I common problem I hear!). Now, the part is 110467, but I am able to find that in the spare parts list (however the back wheelset is available... how strange!Blink )
So, does anyone know of where I could get the part OR any tips on fixing the gears on axles that have split?
My dealer said gluing the gear back together or to the axle itself; is there anything else?

Thankyou!
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline Mark5  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2013 05:12:39(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Good question Dimi... our Percy runs along just as well as usual, but should any difficulty result, your investigation will be a benefit to all of us who have succumbed to the charm of locos with cherub faces. My daughter loves him.

Please keep us posted with your results.
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#3 Posted : 24 January 2013 09:13:14(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
So, you are talking about the black 1cm long? worm gear that's inserted on the can motor shaft? I haven't seen Marklin's Percy inside however the Thomas line is basically made by Hornby with some changes to suit Marklin. I would say the gear is the same as the Hornby, definitely very troublesome part for Hornby's Percy and Thomas. Take the gear with you to any Hornby dealer, in Sydeny Hobbyco used to stock them, about $9 or so. If you have a photo I could probably confirm whether the mechanics and gear are the same.
Offline Dimi194  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2013 09:29:03(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
So, you are talking about the black 1cm long? worm gear that's inserted on the can motor shaft? I haven't seen Marklin's Percy inside however the Thomas line is basically made by Hornby with some changes to suit Marklin. I would say the gear is the same as the Hornby, definitely very troublesome part for Hornby's Percy and Thomas. Take the gear with you to any Hornby dealer, in Sydeny Hobbyco used to stock them, about $9 or so. If you have a photo I could probably confirm whether the mechanics and gear are the same.

The part that's cracked is the tiny gear that is attached to the front driving axle, that allows transmission of the motor power to the wheels... I think Marklin redesigned the bottom of the loco to add the slider etc.
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
#5 Posted : 24 January 2013 09:45:53(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Dimi194 Go to Quoted Post

I think Marklin redesigned the bottom of the loco to add the slider etc.

Yes it is quite possible, but the original Hornby were quite problematic with the gears for that reason I would give it a shot in case they are the same. Again without a photo I can't tell. I did a search hopping to find photos of both brands inside but had no luck.

Offline Dimi194  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2013 04:29:15(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   

I think Marklin redesigned the bottom of the loco to add the slider etc.

Yes it is quite possible, but the original Hornby were quite problematic with the gears for that reason I would give it a shot in case they are the same. Again without a photo I can't tell. I did a search hopping to find photos of both brands inside but had no luck.

I just dropped in at my dealer and he said he'll see what he can do!
Offline Dimi194  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2013 02:10:35(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
As the spare part was unavailable, but dealer glued the gear back together and back to the axle also. How long this will last I don't know... but I'm hoping I can find out if the Hornby Thomas/Percy uses the same part so I can buy those!
Offline Dimi194  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2013 03:09:34(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Thomas does indeed have the same gear, however I am unable to get a photo of it because one of the screws have stripped and won't come out....!!!!!!
Offline kc6uvm_George  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2013 04:34:09(UTC)
kc6uvm_George

United States   
Dimi,

If you or someone you know is handy with tools, a press, wheel pullers, etc.; you might find a replacement gear or wheel set through North West Short Line.

Web site @ http://nwsl.com/Home_Page.html

George,
73 de kc6uvm
NMRA life member
Lancaster, CA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kc6uvm_George
#10 Posted : 29 January 2013 12:31:20(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
As the spare part was unavailable, but dealer glued the gear back together and back to the axle also. How long this will last I don't know... but I'm hoping I can find out if the Hornby Thomas/Percy uses the same part so I can buy those!

Cross your fingers but generally glued gears can't take the pressure and fail after a short period. If you still don't know whether the Hornby gears are the same. wait until you travel to Sydney and have a look at what they have in Hobbyco or any other Hornby dealer. Additionally look at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item4abd08f89a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item483a4629ad

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone