Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gauravk  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2011 10:32:15(UTC)
gauravk

Hi i am new to Railroading and have recently developed a layout on winrail. I have a question, i want a city line on my layout but i want the track to look like a tram line which is covered with concrete. I am thinking of using marklin k track and covering it up with plaster while leaving the rails and center studs exposed. Can i do this? Will the k track still work? Are there any kits or special tracks i can order?
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2011 22:15:28(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Gaurav,welcome to the forum!Cool

Originally Posted by: gauravk Go to Quoted Post
Hi i am new to Railroading and have recently developed a layout on winrail. I have a question, i want a city line on my layout but i want the track to look like a tram line which is covered with concrete. I am thinking of using marklin k track and covering it up with plaster while leaving the rails and center studs exposed. Can i do this? Will the k track still work? Are there any kits or special tracks i can order?

Just to get this right,you want track to run in the streets of a city but not a tram per say?
You could use plaster for the outside of the rails but in between it would kind of hard to smooth out.
What you could do is use card stock or styrene for that.

Dr D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2011 10:14:06(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

I know the effect you are trying to achieve and done correctly it looks pretty awesome, but it can be quite fiddly.

First thing is that K-track is not particularly forgiving of wet plaster - while the track is stainless steel, the center rail is not and rust may (probably will ) develop.

I wonder if you can use some form of gap filler instead to make the concrete appearance, ie 'no more gaps' (Selley's) or similar? - it's still a slightly moist product but not as harsh as plaster and you have the advantage of being able to shape/sculpture it while it's drying.

Getting is reasonably smooth will be fiddly, especially around the studs. I'd be interested to hear what others suggest as it's something I may ultimately want to do myself. Someone here is bound to have done it or seen it done.

Cheers

Steve
Melbounre
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2011 10:20:53(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Gauravk,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2011 10:23:17(UTC)
Goofy

Not sure if there is something to watch at youtube...
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline pab  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2011 12:38:18(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Hi Gauravk,

Welcome to the forum.

I wanted to make a concrete floor in my loco shed.
I used plastic a imitation concrete pieces (just bought in my local shop) and placed it between the tracks. Easy to cut with a hobby knive.
Since the rails are higher than the pukos you have to make a new feeder for you trains. I used a T shaped piece between two parts of plastic. Make sure the wheels have enough space to move on the tracks.
You can also use an imitation coble stone, asphalt or other pavement layer between you're tracks. You can also think of making your own pukos (like copper nails soldered to a strip)

See the work in progress of the interior of my shed

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I have picture of the end result inside. I do have one of the completed shed from outside by night

UserPostedImage

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pab
Offline Renato  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2011 16:35:54(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Gaurav,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline Western Pacific  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2011 17:26:50(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Welcome,

Just for information 3-rail systems exist in the real 1:1 world:

Light rail line outside Grand Théâtre in Bordeaux (France).
Light rail line outside Grand Théâtre in Bordeaux (France).

Another picture with a light rail train.
Another picture with a light rail train.

More information about the APS (alimentation par le sol) can be found here:
In French.
In English.

Offline kbvrod  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2011 17:34:51(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
WP,can't see the photosConfused I don't think he is talking about light rail,as K-track certainly isn't.
Pab,you need inspection pits in your lokschuppen.Smile

Dr D
Offline gauravk  
#10 Posted : 16 October 2011 18:38:27(UTC)
gauravk

Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,
Gaurav,welcome to the forum!Cool

Just to get this right,you want track to run in the streets of a city but not a tram per say?
You could use plaster for the outside of the rails but in between it would kind of hard to smooth out.
What you could do is use card stock or styrene for that.

Dr D

Hi,
Yeah i want it to look like tram tracks but i will run a marklin railcar on it. Ok yeah it would probably be a bad idea to use plaster in between rails. Anyways thanks for your help ill keep u guys posted on my progress and put up pics asap.
Offline gauravk  
#11 Posted : 16 October 2011 18:40:39(UTC)
gauravk

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

I know the effect you are trying to achieve and done correctly it looks pretty awesome, but it can be quite fiddly.

First thing is that K-track is not particularly forgiving of wet plaster - while the track is stainless steel, the center rail is not and rust may (probably will ) develop.

I wonder if you can use some form of gap filler instead to make the concrete appearance, ie 'no more gaps' (Selley's) or similar? - it's still a slightly moist product but not as harsh as plaster and you have the advantage of being able to shape/sculpture it while it's drying.

Getting is reasonably smooth will be fiddly, especially around the studs. I'd be interested to hear what others suggest as it's something I may ultimately want to do myself. Someone here is bound to have done it or seen it done.

Cheers

Steve
Melbounre

Hi,
Thanks for the tip about the rust. Ill do some research on kinds of materials i can use. I was also thinking plastic wood. I guess ill haveto try out a few before i finally decide on a materiaL.
Offline gauravk  
#12 Posted : 16 October 2011 18:42:36(UTC)
gauravk

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gauravk,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. Its great to be here. I never realised there was a another world out there full of marklin'ists'. Lol
Offline gauravk  
#13 Posted : 16 October 2011 18:46:28(UTC)
gauravk

Originally Posted by: pab Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gauravk,

Welcome to the forum.

I used plastic a imitation concrete pieces (just bought in my local shop) and placed it between the tracks. Easy to cut with a hobby knive.
Since the rails are higher than the pukos you have to make a new feeder for you trains. I used a T shaped piece between two parts of plastic. Make sure the wheels have enough space to move on the tracks.
You can also use an imitation coble stone, asphalt or other pavement layer between you're tracks. You can also think of making your own pukos (like copper nails soldered to a strip)

See the work in progress of the interior of my shed

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I have picture of the end result inside. I do have one of the completed shed from outside by night

UserPostedImage

Hi,
Thanks for the advice, ill probably try something like that as well. The pics really help. Nice loco sheds.... did u build it from scratch or buy a kit?
Offline gauravk  
#14 Posted : 16 October 2011 18:50:13(UTC)
gauravk

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Not sure if there is something to watch at youtube...

Yeah iv been looking on youtube and have also done a search on google. Didnt come up with anything.
Offline Western Pacific  
#15 Posted : 16 October 2011 20:06:40(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Running a railcar sound like a nice idea.

You could even have heavier trains, provided that you look at for instance Jack London Square in Oakland, California:
Jack London Square, Oakland, CA
Photo shot on January 2nd 2008 at 19h46 (or 7h46 pm) using a mobile phone, showing an Amtrak California train leaving Oakland. I believe it was going to Sacramento.
Offline pab  
#16 Posted : 16 October 2011 21:29:06(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: pab Go to Quoted Post
Hi Gauravk,

Welcome to the forum.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice, ill probably try something like that as well. The pics really help. Nice loco sheds.... did u build it from scratch or buy a kit?

You're welcome
It's a (Faller) kit with some enhancements (e.g. lights, stone innerwall)
Offline hxmiesa  
#17 Posted : 17 October 2011 13:41:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
cookee_nz probably understates the risk for rust. It will rust heavily!!!

Using cardboard is a good idea.

But I think the best solution is:
Place a strip of conducting sheet-metal along the centerline where you want the track to go.
Use some (cheap) generic 2-rail track.
Fill the space between the tracks with what-ever materiel.
Hammer in nails (with a small rounded head) along the centerline of the track.
Connect the sheet-metal from under the track to a trafo, and the nail-heads will do the puko-job...

The old Märklin-master (Profi-Tips, etc) did it this way.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline xxup  
#18 Posted : 17 October 2011 14:35:06(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Didn't Peco make a track with removable center studs? This might be an easier way to get the center concrete look..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Nielsenr  
#19 Posted : 17 October 2011 18:22:37(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
To expand upon Piet's and Henrik's posts, as can be seen from Piet's photos, you might consider trying to use standard two rail track connecting the rails together electrically. For the center rail you could use an N scale rail secured to the sleepers. Someone here on the forum did that for a hidden station since it was less expensive to buy lengths of two rail flex track and N scale rails than it was to buy standard Marklin track. The end result would have it looking like the real life photos posted.

Robert
Offline kbvrod  
#20 Posted : 17 October 2011 23:00:14(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,Adrian,

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Didn't Peco make a track with removable center studs? This might be an easier way to get the center concrete look..

They did but I think it was discontinued.Erbert still makes their pukos.

Dr D
Offline gauravk  
#21 Posted : 19 October 2011 08:48:48(UTC)
gauravk

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
cookee_nz probably understates the risk for rust. It will rust heavily!!!

Using cardboard is a good idea.

But I think the best solution is:
Place a strip of conducting sheet-metal along the centerline where you want the track to go.
Use some (cheap) generic 2-rail track.
Fill the space between the tracks with what-ever materiel.
Hammer in nails (with a small rounded head) along the centerline of the track.
Connect the sheet-metal from under the track to a trafo, and the nail-heads will do the puko-job...

The old Märklin-master (Profi-Tips, etc) did it this way.

Hi,
Well since im a first time railroader this seems a little complex...but i will give it a go.

Thanks.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#22 Posted : 19 November 2011 22:36:17(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
here is how I did it (also K-Track)

http://layout.mixmox.com/1/concrete-rails
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline gauravk  
#23 Posted : 29 November 2011 14:49:40(UTC)
gauravk

Wow the end result is good. thats what im looking for. which brand of modelling clay did u use?
Offline DaleSchultz  
#24 Posted : 08 December 2011 03:47:16(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I used some clay called DAS
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#25 Posted : 08 December 2011 06:07:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
I used some clay called DAS

Which is readily available here in NZ, so folks in larger countries should have no trouble finding it.

UserPostedImage