Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2009 08:54:27(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hey everyone,
I don't happen to own any K track at the moment, and was wondering if the 2 outer rails were isolated from one another? (AKA so i can run DC) If so great! If not, is there an easy way to isolate them? I know the ETE does so on their modules, but I wasn't sure if the track was good to go out of the box.

My little mission here is being able to run a simple loop of DC on an AC and HOm scale layout I'm planning. I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to do so via an outer loop I can switch from AC to DC,or to use the super cool Tillig track, which is dual gauge HO and HOm on one track!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2009 09:30:07(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
No the 2 rails are not isolated from each other. People have run 3 rail DC on Marklin track, but I'm not sure why you would try and run 2 rail DC on Marklin 3 rail track. You might as well just buy some 2 rail track!
Offline Westfield Depot  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2009 16:18:09(UTC)
Westfield Depot

I discussed this with my dealer once and he told me it was next to impossible to isolate the outside rails on C rack but already done or easy to do on K track. This is why the ETE recommends K track for all members building modules. I believe the turnouts do require some simple modifications to gap the bridge strips that connect the rails on the underside and thus isolate them. I seem to recall instructions were on the ETE website at one time along with their module specs.

Chris
Chris
Modeling Märklin Epoch I K.W.St.E. in Ohio USA
Offline Olle3770  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2009 16:45:54(UTC)
Olle3770

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Westfield Depot
<br />I discussed this with my dealer once and he told me it was next to impossible to isolate the outside rails on C rack but already done or easy to do on K track. This is why the ETE recommends K track for all members building modules. I believe the turnouts do require some simple modifications to gap the bridge strips that connect the rails on the underside and thus isolate them. I seem to recall instructions were on the ETE website at one time along with their module specs.

Chris

I don't know about K-track, but for C-track it's just a matter of cutting two "bridges" on the underside of the track. Hardly not impossible. Isn't it quite the opposite (hard on K and or M, but easy on C)? Am I missing something?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Olle3770
Offline 7gauges  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2009 17:27:16(UTC)
7gauges

Canada   
Our club layout runs DC on unmodified K-track. The rails are electrically isolated from each other - as long as you DON'T use the Marklin feeder tracks 2190 / 2191 - these connect the two outside rails.
Collecting / Fixing and Running trains since 1966.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 7gauges
Offline TTRExpress  
#6 Posted : 20 April 2009 17:33:42(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
I am in agreement with Chris that ETE recommends K-track be used for its modules. It is very easy to isolate the outer rails on C-track. The problem with all track forms are turn-outs (points) and cross-overs.

It is not easy to run 3-rail DC on Maerklin track as the outer rails are not isolated from each other. It is easy to operate Maerklin on 3-rail DC track! In fact one can operate a TRIX Express locomotive and a Maerklin locomotive together under their own analogue controllers!

My suggestion is if you want to operate DC use 2- track, if you want to operate Maerklin AC use either M-,K- or C- depending on your preferences. TRIX Express/Twin track is 3-rail however differs from Marklin in rail profile height and also each rail is isolated.

I have a travelling TRIX Express layout for train-shows and just added a tunnel module with Bemo HOm track. The two systems are not compatible but the HOm track is electrically isolated from the TRIX system and adds an interesting dimension to the layout. I will be adding a narrow gauge system to my permanent layout for that very reason.

If you want to include a DC loop and/or an HOm loop on your layout you can easily do that. Install the track system you want and just have them electrically separated and use different transformers/controllers. If you decide to use the Tillig HO/HOm track you can "kill two birds with one stone." Just remember to keep that system isolated from your Maerklin AC layout.

Let us know how you progress.

Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TTRExpress
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 20 April 2009 19:00:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
DC can run on Trix C-tracks 2-rails.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline TTRExpress  
#8 Posted : 20 April 2009 21:26:37(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Steven,

Thanks for the note. Yes, the new TRIX C-track is designed for 2-rail DC. One has to watch the rail profile height with this track as it is Code 83 (2.1 mm). If you are using Code 100 you will need an adapter piece to connect the DC track systems. You may also need to pay attention to your wheel flanges! For everyones information here are some useful data:

Maerklin C-track is 2.3 mm (0.090" or Code 90)
TRIX C-track is 2.1 mm (0.083" or Code 83)
TRIX International is 2.7 mm (0.106" or ~Code 110)
TRIX Express is 3.3 mm (0.129" or ~Code 124)

Maerklin M-track is 2.5 mm (~0.100" or Code 100)
Maerklin K-track is 2.54 mm (0.100" or Code 100)
Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TTRExpress
Offline Webmaster  
#9 Posted : 20 April 2009 21:59:23(UTC)
Webmaster

K-track rails are isolated from eachother, but turnouts have to be tweaked...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 21 April 2009 00:45:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Ok, I stand corrected....... I was basing my comment on 2100 series track, admitedly, which appears to be not isolated.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline pmgsr  
#11 Posted : 21 April 2009 03:03:32(UTC)
pmgsr

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Westfield Depot
<br />I discussed this with my dealer once and he told me it was next to impossible to isolate the outside rails on C rack but already done or easy to do on K track.

There are some funny dealers over there biggrin
The way Olle explained is the way i make the contact tracks so that i can use train detection. Really easy just cutting the two "bridges" described.

Pedro.
Pedro Rosa.
Linda-a-Velha / Lisbon, Portugal.
My Layout (Marklin, C-Track, Digital)
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 21 April 2009 07:03:25(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks guys! I have my reasons (AKA lack of space and owning 90% Makrlin, but some DC as well) to run DC on Marklin K track from time to time.

So what I'm taking out of this is its no problem provided you use different rail joiners. But I'm a bit fuzzy on turnouts though- will they work? (the section in question is only 1 simple siding.)
SBB Era 2-5
Offline juanemc2  
#13 Posted : 25 October 2018 00:01:48(UTC)
juanemc2

Argentina   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
K-track rails are isolated from eachother, but turnouts have to be tweaked...

Do you know how to tweak them to isolate them?

Offline applor  
#14 Posted : 25 October 2018 04:09:15(UTC)
applor

Australia   
In regards to K track:

wide radius (22715/22716/2275/2257) turnouts/double slip/crossover rails are isolated from each other.

The standard turnouts (2265/2266) rails are joined - They can be isolated easy enough by cutting the two links near the end of the branch on the underside.

I am not sure about standard double slip (2260), curved turnouts (2268/2269) and crossovers (2258/2259) as I did not use those.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 25 October 2018 11:39:43(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks guys! I have my reasons (AKA lack of space and owning 90% Makrlin, but some DC as well) to run DC on Marklin K track from time to time.

So what I'm taking out of this is its no problem provided you use different rail joiners. But I'm a bit fuzzy on turnouts though- will they work? (the section in question is only 1 simple siding.)

Hi John!
Check the ETE Modular layout to see how it's done! Wink Wink
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline GlennM  
#16 Posted : 25 October 2018 12:15:28(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
A copy of the ETE module specification (courtesy of ETE) can be found to download in post 1 of this thread: https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t35299-Marklin-Club-UK---Modules-for-Modular-Display-Layouts---Help-with-Signalling
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM