Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2010 22:22:40(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Ok

I have a module in the making and I am considering using Marklin signals but can anyone offer me any advice on Viessmann signals and the realism and quality of it and the difference between Marklin Signals
Offline rschaffr  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2010 22:46:43(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I use all Viessmann signals. I have never tried the Marklin ones, though. I like the construction and the reliability of the Viessmann ones so i have not looked elsewhere. Actually, I stared with Viessmann because I got one for free at a train show in Munich when I bought a catalog, so I just stayed with them.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2010 22:59:07(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi,
I started to build my new layout last Sept. and I wanted to replace most of my
72** series signals that were about 40 years old with the new 76*** ones. Most of the
expense for the new layout was for 18 of these new signal. The layout is now wired
except for buildings and I must say I'm very happy with these signals. They are pricey
but they are worth it. They work beautifully!Good luck! Cheers, Peter
Offline Breitenfurt  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2010 00:14:46(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Obviously not the same but I am (or, rather, will be) using just Viessmann signals. Actually the modern Marklin Z scale signals are made by Viessmann anyway. I don't know where you live but there is a hobby shop in the UK that is selling off all its Z stock at really good prices (like my signals were about 40% off. Address can be supplied is any interest.

To answer you query, I find them very realistic and fragile. They have a much larger range than Marklin (in semaphore anyway).

Best wishes,
Chris.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2010 00:27:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Alex lives in New Zealand, and both Viessmann and Marklin signals can be obtained from Dion at Toottoot.
Offline pab  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2010 12:53:49(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I use Viessmaan signals (semaphore) for a long time now. They are reliable.
The Viessmann semaphore signals are much better looking. The M signals are not as detailed and the Viessmann signals move slowly and have no visible power unit. You only need a 12 mm hole in your table.
For the semaphore signals you need about 10 cm free space under your table.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2010 14:49:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I am changing from the old Marklin colour light signals to the Viessmann semaphores. I chose them because they look more realistic than the Marklin semaphores which were introduced in the '50s.

THe new Marklin colour light signals are very nice, and I think they are made by Viessmann as well, but I'm not sure about that.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline cyberbeast41  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2010 19:27:09(UTC)
cyberbeast41

Most Marklin and Viessmann signals are just the same. They are both made by Viessmann, with only small changes.
Whatever you choose, it doens't matter that much.
Offline pab  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2010 16:06:39(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
cyberbeast41 wrote:
Most Marklin and Viessmann signals are just the same. They are both made by Viessmann, with only small changes.
Whatever you choose, it doens't matter that much.

Talking about semaphore signals, you're wrong.
I don't know about other signals
Offline Breitenfurt  
#10 Posted : 07 March 2010 20:47:41(UTC)
Breitenfurt

Hi Piet.

Well, certainly the Z scale signals are identical to the Viessmann ones except that they were green instead of Viessmann's black. I am surprised that they didn't do the same with HO. Whatever, they are certainly a lot more realistic than the older versions.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Offline Macfire  
#11 Posted : 08 March 2010 02:06:55(UTC)
Macfire

pab wrote:
I use Viessmaan signals (semaphore) for a long time now. They are reliable.
The Viessmann semaphore signals are much better looking. The M signals are not as detailed and the Viessmann signals move slowly and have no visible power unit. You only need a 12 mm hole in your table.
For the semaphore signals you need about 10 cm free space under your table.

I agree.
Viessmann for me and cost was also a factor - M being dearer.
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline James  
#12 Posted : 11 March 2010 21:40:13(UTC)
James

Canada   
Hello All:

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm sure that Viessmann is constructing some items for Marklin, but I'm not sure about the light signals. As of yet, I haven't seen Marklin's newer light signals being offered under the Viessmann label.

Part 1: Semaphore Signals
When it comes to the semaphore line of signals, for me, it has to be Viessmann all the way. The detail and the slow motor mechanism is the greatest. To be fair to Marklin, though, they really haven't tried to upgrade their semaphore signals, concentrating on their light signal product line. Viessmann offers a larger variety of semaphores as well.

Part 2: Light Signals
When it comes to the light signals without a doubt it has to be the newer line of Marklin signals. The thing about them, for me, is the slow (prototypical)transition color changing that is most appealing, plus the fact that the wires are hidden within the mast. Viessmann's light signals have the wires visibly running through the mast assembly.

My layout reflects the era III / IV time period in Germany and so my signals a transitional. For the mains, I primarily use light signals while on the branch lines, Semaphore's can still be found.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UserPostedImage
James Bannerman
Give me steam, and how you feel can make it real, real as anything you've seen. (Peter Gabriel)
Offline Tex  
#13 Posted : 12 March 2010 01:53:38(UTC)
Tex

United States   
James wrote:
Hello All:

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm sure that Viessmann is constructing some items for Marklin, but I'm not sure about the light signals. As of yet, I haven't seen Marklin's newer light signals being offered under the Viessmann label.

When it comes to the semaphore line of signals, for me, it has to be Viessmann all the way. The detail and the slow motor mechanism is the greatest. To be fair to Marklin, though, they really haven't tried to upgrade their semaphore signals, concentrating on their light signal product line. Viessmann offers a larger variety of semaphores as well.

it comes to the light signals without a doubt it has to be the newer line of Marklin signals. The thing about them, for me, is the slow (prototypical)tranPart 2: Light Signals
When sition color changing that is most appealing, plus the fact that the wires are hidden within the mast. Viessmann's light signals have the wires visibly running through the mast assembly.

My layout reflects the era III / IV time period in Germany and so my signals a transitional. For the mains, I primarily use light signals while on the branch lines, Semaphore's can still be found.

Offline Tex  
#14 Posted : 12 March 2010 01:59:54(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Tex wrote:
James wrote:
Hello All:

Just my 2 cents worth.

it comes to the light signals without a doubt it has to be the newer line of Marklin signals. The thing about them, for me, is the slow (prototypical)tranPart 2: Light Signals
When sition color changing that is most appealing, plus the fact that the wires are hidden within the mast. Viessmann's light signals have the wires visibly running through the mast assembly.

I agree with the Marklin new light signals being the most reliable and atractive choice. Also modeling the era III/ IV transition period in Germany and am replacing marklin / Viessmann semophores as fast as I can afford to.

Tex