Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline White Buffalo  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2018 15:36:18(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Hallo Märklin Forum,

I've been thinking about display cases for my trains the last 6 months or so. 90% of my items are stored in boxes. Shoe boxes, plastic totes, mail parcels, even those really cool boxes that my daughter's & wife's expensive hair dryers and curling irons come in. But I am tired of boxes and the time I spend packing und unpacking. Hä, hä, hä.....blah, blah blah Laugh

I only have one small display case, but now I would finally like to buy or build some more. What do you have, what do you recommend? Should I consider closed cases to keep the dust out or should a 4" inch deep case work fine. Not a lot of dust in our Keller.

We thought about some nice cabinets with glass doors for the older more antique type items. But as you know, the fancier you go - mehr Geld.....LOL

Just trinke eine Tasse Kaffee this morning and wondering what my Märklin friends around the world würde denken.BigGrin

Guten Morgen, Guten Tag oder Gute Abend - all depending on which time zone on the blue ball you are sitting at......

Rich
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2018 15:50:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I saw an article. I don't remember whether it was a magazine or online, but the article described a wall unit which was made up of Train Safe shelves that were mounted in such a way that the display could shift vertically, so that each shelf could be raised or lowered so that one shelf was level with an access from the layout, enabling trains to be run to and from the layout into storage on the wall.

The shelving was manufactured by https://shop.train-safe.de/en/home/
I don't know whether the motorization was commercially available or not.

If I come across the information again, I will post it here.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mmervine  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2018 16:13:32(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mmervine
Offline kamstutz  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2018 17:16:52(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Rich -
Last month in California at EuroWest I visited a collector that had very nice modular displays. They were from a German company called Vitrines Schmidt. You can see their website/online store here: https://www.vitrinenschmidt.de/ I tried to buy from them a little over a year ago, but at that time they didn't ship to the USA. Perhaps they can export them now. In any case I would look for a modular system. We both know that display units tend to fill up rather quickly so best to be able to expand with similar looking shelving and modular displays allow for that.

Kurt
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline Ian555  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2018 19:08:41(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Rich, here you can see the display cabinets that Kurt is talking about...

Ian.

UserPostedImage

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline jcrtrains  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2018 21:44:19(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kamstutz Go to Quoted Post
Rich -
Last month in California at EuroWest I visited a collector that had very nice modular displays. They were from a German company called Vitrines Schmidt. You can see their website/online store here: https://www.vitrinenschmidt.de/ I tried to buy from them a little over a year ago, but at that time they didn't ship to the USA. Perhaps they can export them now. In any case I would look for a modular system. We both know that display units tend to fill up rather quickly so best to be able to expand with similar looking shelving and modular displays allow for that.

Kurt

I have three cases from them. They export to Canada so I suspect you will be ok in the US. They come in many sizes, essentially customizable by number of rows and in ten cm length variances by row. For Canadian export, I think they could only do a maximum of 6 rows and 150 cm long; a good size regardless. One of the post offices (Canada or Germany) had some sort of restriction in size.

They are good value and having flexibility in dimensions is great. They are also far lighter on the wall compared to the old Vollmer cases (I have 3 of those as well). My only problem is that all the cases are full!

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline White Buffalo  
#7 Posted : 25 August 2018 01:42:35(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
Wow, thanks for the recommendations. I knew there were a lot more options than I originally thought.
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 25 August 2018 05:13:07(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello Rich,

Mike recommended Train Safe and yes it is expensive but also very good. Even you can include it in your layout. So your trains may pass through the case. Somewhere i even saw an elevator built by model railroader. More information about Trains Safe you find in the actual Märklin Magazine 04/2018 page 118. This year it is Train safes 25th anniversary.

A download for the complete actual catalogue you find at “Modellbahnshop Lippe”.

https://www.modellbahnsh...gatt-de-p-0/gattung.html

Buy it and then your ladies get now some packages for whatever.Love

Bets regards

Wolfgang
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline dominator  
#9 Posted : 25 August 2018 07:49:40(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have been dreaming of a way to display all my consists in such a way so as to be able to drive them from the show case onto a layout. Train-safe seems to fit the bill with a dust free and safe storage tube which can plug into the layout. That's the nearest idea to the one I have been dreaming about.

That's for another day to think about now. Tonight its all about Rugby.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline davo_vespa  
#10 Posted : 25 August 2018 12:41:10(UTC)
davo_vespa

Australia   
+1 for Vitrinen Schmidt, good piece of kit.

I have two of their cases, shipped promptly to Australia. Easy to deal with, responsive and don't forget no VAT in price for export.

Happy Days, David
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by davo_vespa
Offline blid  
#11 Posted : 30 August 2018 12:06:23(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I designed my C-track layout with a parking deck under the two levels for driving. The idea was to have the trains reasonably sheltered from dust and still on the tracks. Well, you know about the turnout motor problem so I checked how much it would cost to simply put the trains in TrainSafe Basic Tubes. A lot.

For comparison I checked how much I had spent for the parking deck. Track, turnouts, lanterns, decoders, s88 sensors etc. A lot too. With the exchange rate, EUR – SEK, at the time I built the layout the cost would have been the same or less for TrainSafe!

Something to consider Dereck?
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#12 Posted : 30 August 2018 15:57:44(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: davo_vespa Go to Quoted Post

I have two of their cases, shipped promptly to Australia. Easy to deal with, responsive and don't forget no VAT in price for export.

Happy Days, David

Hi David, do they email in english? Also, was shipping brutal, or not-too-bad?
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 30 August 2018 19:49:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
I designed my C-track layout with a parking deck under the two levels for driving. The idea was to have the trains reasonably sheltered from dust and still on the tracks. Well, you know about the turnout motor problem so I checked how much it would cost to simply put the trains in TrainSafe Basic Tubes. A lot.

For comparison I checked how much I had spent for the parking deck. Track, turnouts, lanterns, decoders, s88 sensors etc. A lot too. With the exchange rate, EUR – SEK, at the time I built the layout the cost would have been the same or less for TrainSafe!

Something to consider Dereck?

Indeed to consider and you did a nice, helpful comparison. But what is your experience with your parking deck? Is it as dust free as you considered and expected?

The TrainSafe boxes are completly dust free, portable (you can close with special cabs both ends) and also assimiable into your layout - either as a drive through track or as a storage siding.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 30 August 2018 20:56:37(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: White Buffalo Go to Quoted Post
Wow, thanks for the recommendations. I knew there were a lot more options than I originally thought.

@WB you speak German I guess? Here another link only in German

http://www.wawiko.de/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline blid  
#15 Posted : 30 August 2018 22:08:52(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Dust has never been a problem. Apart from the turnout motors the CS2 and Mfx decoders have been annoying. I have to park the trains with the power turned off (with k84s). Sometimes it takes forever for the CS2 to recognize the engines when the power is turned on.

The Vision Tube can also be used as a removable bridge. Good if you want to build your layout around the room and don't want to block the door - or if you just don't want to crawl.

Edited by user 31 August 2018 10:52:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline davo_vespa  
#16 Posted : 31 August 2018 03:24:25(UTC)
davo_vespa

Australia   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: davo_vespa Go to Quoted Post

Happy Days, David

Hi David, do they email in english? Also, was shipping brutal, or not-too-bad?

Gu'day John,

English not a problem. I bought two 34S cases - freight was €85 (DHL, arrived in under 2 weeks). Yes, on the expensive side but cases were well packaged, arrived without damage and considering the size and weight, overall I was comfortable with the cost.

Happy Days, David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by davo_vespa
Offline sjbartels  
#17 Posted : 31 August 2018 04:47:59(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
This is what I have in my train room... these are from a company in the US that will ship direct. I have eight and am very impressed. Shipping is very reasonable as well. As you can see from mine, they hold 42 of the 4415 model wagon (for size comparison)

Cabinet.jpg

I can send you the details if you're interested

American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#18 Posted : 01 September 2018 00:31:47(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
This is what I have in my train room... these are from a company in the US that will ship direct. I have eight and am very impressed. Shipping is very reasonable as well. As you can see from mine, they hold 42 of the 4415 model wagon (for size comparison)

Cabinet.jpg

great looking cases! Is that from the company just outside san francisco?
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline White Buffalo  
#19 Posted : 01 September 2018 04:12:18(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   

Please do, this would be a great option as well! Plus a good spot(thread) to consolidate ideas for anyone else interested.

Rich
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by White Buffalo
Offline sjbartels  
#20 Posted : 01 September 2018 06:02:19(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: White Buffalo Go to Quoted Post

Please do, this would be a great option as well! Plus a good spot(thread) to consolidate ideas for anyone else interested.

Rich

This is where I have purchased mine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm...ee236:g:Lu8AAOSwLWBZgVFo

Copy and paste the link. They have color options as well, I have always gone with the mahogany (they have oak in a separate listing). They have a direct website but they charge shipping from it, it's free on eBay. One thing that I did and consider this an extra expense, I bought atlas flex track and put it on the shelves. Much cheaper than Märklin track obviously, but still something to consider
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline Thewolf  
#21 Posted : 01 September 2018 11:11:00(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kamstutz Go to Quoted Post
Rich -

Kurt

Hi KurtCool

I recommend this company. I bought 3 of them and they only ship one item in Canada: the 34HSO.
I received them the day before yesterday

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline sjbartels  
#22 Posted : 03 September 2018 05:24:11(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

great looking cases! Is that from the company just outside san francisco?

Yes, that's the one! I bought my first one direct and spent close to $130, and then I found their eBay site and purchased the rest there. I bought the last four when eBay had the 10% eBay bucks, so that worked out quite nicely!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline White Buffalo  
#23 Posted : 08 March 2019 21:27:48(UTC)
White Buffalo

United States   
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by White Buffalo