Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harlov  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2020 18:29:04(UTC)
Harlov

Sweden   
Hey all
I have a few trains that do not have NEM pockets but I recently bought some cars that have Kadee couplers.
Has anyone converted from Marklin couplers to Kadee couplers without NEM pockets,
would be happy if there was a solution to it

Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2020 21:01:53(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi Harlov (Härlöv?),

Märklin has some replacement couplers for cars and loks that provide NEM pockets which in turn can be used with Kadee. Can you publish some photos of the cars and loks you want to convert?

Br, Peder (wirh summer house in Åhus)......
Offline Harlov  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2020 21:36:21(UTC)
Harlov

Sweden   
thats right, Härlöv, Kristianstad
Have searched for a solution to it but can not find anything directly about it, I have found which kadee I should have but the problem is how to attach it to the locomotive in a good way

kILf0NOA.jpegNizm_f-w.jpeg

/ Peter

Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi Harlov (Härlöv?),

Märklin has some replacement couplers for cars and loks that provide NEM pockets which in turn can be used with Kadee. Can you publish some photos of the cars and loks you want to convert?

Br, Peder (wirh summer house in Åhus)......

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harlov
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2020 21:51:14(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Harlov Go to Quoted Post
Hey all
I have a few trains that do not have NEM pockets but I recently bought some cars that have Kadee couplers.
Has anyone converted from Marklin couplers to Kadee couplers without NEM pockets,

There are indeed a number of solutions, but they depend a bit on the type of rolling stock you want to apply this conversion to.
If it is US style rolling stock with no buffer, Kadee (the company ) has a large selection of couplers and mechanisms that can be fitted.
I did that often on my "US Stock" to get rid of the horrible so called "NMRA couplers" which rarely allow for a complete lap around the layout without dropping a number of caoches/ car underway!Laugh Laugh

Check here Kadee conversions if you can find something that fits.
I have used these for example on some older US style Athearn coaches, back in the late 1980's BigGrin
It almost always involves removing the older couplers , doing some "surgery" on plastic and/or metal and the use of glue and/or small screws

Most critical is the height adjustment to ensure perfect smooth and reliable coupling .

On the other hand if you have buffers on the ends (like on european style rolling stock), you should really install NEM close couple mechanisms .
I have done that on a number of coaches, using components from the SYMOBA range.
Symoba coupler pockets
Here again accurate height adjustment is essential, but it's made very easy by the design of the "pockets" themselves and the use of a small gauge you pace on the track in front of the coach.

Yes, it is some work, but the results is worth it.

Hope this helps

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Harlov  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2020 22:17:01(UTC)
Harlov

Sweden   
Thanks for your answer Jacques

The only thing I want to rebuild is the locomotive so that I can have Kadee couplers, but as I said, I probably get surgery a bit in loco, found in kadee pdf that I would contact them if you did not have NEM pockets

dlpvKr9g.jpeg kILf0NOA.jpeg

/peter

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Harlov Go to Quoted Post
Hey all

There are indeed a number of solutions, but they depend a bit on the type of rolling stock you want to apply this conversion to.
If it is US style rolling stock with no buffer, Kadee (the company ) has a large selection of couplers and mechanisms that can be fitted.
I did that often on my "US Stock" to get rid of the horrible so called "NMRA couplers" which rarely allow for a complete lap around the layout without dropping a number of caoches/ car underway!Laugh Laugh

Check here Kadee conversions if you can find something that fits.
I have used these for example on some older US style Athearn coaches, back in the late 1980's BigGrin
It almost always involves removing the older couplers , doing some "surgery" on plastic and/or metal and the use of glue and/or small screws

Most critical is the height adjustment to ensure perfect smooth and reliable coupling .

On the other hand if you have buffers on the ends (like on european style rolling stock), you should really install NEM close couple mechanisms .
I have done that on a number of coaches, using components from the SYMOBA range.
Symoba coupler pockets
Here again accurate height adjustment is essential, but it's made very easy by the design of the "pockets" themselves and the use of a small gauge you pace on the track in front of the coach.

Yes, it is some work, but the results is worth it.

Hope this helps

Jacques