Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pianne  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2006 12:27:34(UTC)
Pianne

Yesterday, I saw the kadee couplers in action for the first time. I was amazed by the smooth coupling!

As I understand it, they can be uncoupled by halting over a (permanent) magnet mounted between the rails. I've seen this on a 2-rail track. But I was wondering how you implement this on a M* layout, what about the puko's?
Kind regards,
Pieter-Jan
Bruges, Belgium.
Offline WelshMatt  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2006 17:04:53(UTC)
WelshMatt

You can buy a handheld magnetic uncoupler too - looks like an "n" with a pair of magnets in the legs and a handle. They work reasonably well though they're not truly hands-off

You can also get under-track magnets that might be a better idea. On K track they'd just go under the sleepers as they do on 2 rail. Just beware the way that any rolling stock with ferrous metals on board is attracted to them!

P.S. One other word of advice - get a height gauge. Kadees are excellent, but they don't work well if they're not at the right height. Kadee's own is very effective and not too expensive.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline jonquinn  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2006 17:27:23(UTC)
jonquinn

you will need to bend up the little wire some so it lies above the center rail contacts/pukos.
like these - kadee sells same thing
http://www.ares-server.c...ype=Product&ID=14483
Offline Pianne  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2006 19:00:16(UTC)
Pianne

Thanks for your replies.
The goal is smooth, hands-off coupling and uncoupling.

We are contemplating using kadee couplers on a club layout (C-track). The main reason is for easy and accurate shunting, as the layout models an endstation and the locos need to move around to the other end of the train to depart again. For now, this is done with M* uncoupler rails, but that's not always very efficient.[:(] ALso coupling the train to a loco is not as smooth as we'd like.

We've equipped two cars with kadees to test. Indeed, bending the wire is needed to avoid contact with pukos on turnouts. So far tests went great. Cool

Only the locos and front and rear cars of a train would be converted to kadee to keep the cars close together (As I understand that kadee cannot couple as close as M* closecouplers).

I have a few more questions...[:o)]

Would a magnet, mounted under the plastic bed of C-track, be strong enough to uncouple them? Or will the metal from the pukos interfere with the magnetism? Will it magnetize the complete track?

Will a standard magnet do, or do we need "supermagnets" of some sort? And what size is appropriate?

Anyone who uses these uncoupler magnets with C-track have some suggestions, tips, tricks?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions at once, but the layout is already finished and we'd need to tear it down quite a bit to insert the magnets.[V] So I'd like to be sure that all that work will bring the desired effect before starting the demolition work.wink

Some pictures of the layout can be seen at http://www.dwarsliggers.be/De%20Dwarsliggers.htm (in Dutch), click on "fotoalbum" and then on "Wiltz".
Kind regards,
Pieter-Jan
Bruges, Belgium.
Offline WelshMatt  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2006 20:52:03(UTC)
WelshMatt

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jonquinn
<br />you will need to bend up the little wire some so it lies above the center rail contacts/pukos.

You shouldn't need to do that - if the coupler knuckle is at the right height, then the wire won't hit the rails at all.
Matt from Wales.

Offline PierreGILLARD  
#6 Posted : 30 December 2006 21:11:08(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by jonquinn
<br />you will need to bend up the little wire some so it lies above the center rail contacts/pukos.

You shouldn't need to do that - if the coupler knuckle is at the right height, then the wire won't hit the rails at all.

The problem is almost never the rails themselves but center rail pukos that are higher than rails in turnouts and crossings and in which coupler trip pins can jam.

This problem has already been discussed in several threads including this one.

Pierre.
Offline digilox1  
#7 Posted : 30 December 2006 22:16:49(UTC)
digilox1

Offline HueyCE  
#8 Posted : 31 December 2006 03:06:46(UTC)
HueyCE

Pieter-Jan: Your club layout looks really nice, kudos to you and your fellow members.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline McLae  
#9 Posted : 31 December 2006 06:26:21(UTC)
McLae

One thing to consider:
Kadee couplers are made for pulling. For this, they work great.

However, when I run push-pull on my club layout using EU-style couplers, all the other folks ask "How can you push like that?" [}:)]

I regularly run my IC 8-car consist in both directions with no problems. I do not think I could do that with Kadee couplers. wink
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 31 December 2006 16:39:57(UTC)
Goofy

Is there trouble by using magnetic uncopler on the digital railway...?

Goofy confused
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline WelshMatt  
#11 Posted : 31 December 2006 18:23:59(UTC)
WelshMatt

There shouldn't be any trouble with digital - I used magnetic uncouplers on a DCC layout with no problems. Agree that they're not so hot for propelling - the Marklin close coupler is a far better idea for that as it has "ears" to keep the couplers together.
Matt from Wales.