Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#1 Posted : 22 May 2006 17:08:07(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Hello,

I have bought the beautiful GG1 # 37490 during my last trip in Belgium.

Yesterday I tested her with my 6021 CU.

I have replaced both couplers with Kadee # 17 and completed some tests on a R1 C-Track test circuit and with the three Pennsylvania boxcar set also fitted with Kadee # 17 couplers. All these worked without any trouble.

So for those of you who prefer Kadee couplers on your Märklin American models like me, the correct coupler reference for the GG1 seems to be # 17.

Pierre.
Offline alonso231gery  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2006 17:22:13(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
I have been to Brussels but i was unable to locate an open shop Pierre.
Congratulations for ur GG-1 Pierre,b.t.w. gives us a review for that loco,i also have the 37491,a superb model.

According to you the best Belgian city(shops,etc) for our hobby is?

Does anyone have an image of these couplers?
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline hmsfix  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2006 21:10:20(UTC)
hmsfix

Yes, picture highly appreciated. I saw the GG-1 with Kadee coupler on some internet site, but unfortunately didn't bookmark it. Definitely Kadee couplers look extremely nice with GG-1, and also PA, Mikado, and F7... Much nicer look than with Märklin's short couplers (which are almost perfect from the point of view of shunting operation, I admit)

I would like to use Kadee couplers, too. However, I have lots of older US freight cars with RELEX couplers permanently attached to the trucks, incompatible with Kadee. [:(]

Hans Martin
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2006 01:45:40(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

I will post some pictures as soon as I will have an opportunity to take them.

Alonso : I usualy go to Jean MICHEL in Wemmel and Jocadis in Enghien-Edingen. You will find their address on http://www.marklin.be

Hans Martin : A suggestion for you in order to couple old Relex cars with new Kadee fitted-ones : have an intermediate car with a NEM coupler on one side and a Kadee coupler on the other. That's what I did !

Pierre.
Offline digilox1  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2006 02:17:17(UTC)
digilox1

A picture of a Kadee coupler with NEM "swallow tail" coupler shaft can be seen here:

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page57.htm

The basic principle is explained here:

http://www.kadee.com/animation/c1.htm

Note: Kadees are NO close couplers, but anyway, these are the best couplers on the market, nothing else comes close to their functionality and reliable operation.

Different shaft lengths available, item ## 17,18,19,20, for European
style coupler receptacles.

Regards,
Manfred

Offline rschaffr  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2006 02:47:33(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Neat system, Manfred. Unfortuanely I am pretty well committed to the RTS CC couplers now. I won't be changing anytime soon. However, my project of converting all my older cars to NEM pockets will facilitate such a move in the future if I decide to go that way.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline hmsfix  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2006 01:41:26(UTC)
hmsfix

Have tested my GG-1, PA-1, and a few cars with Kadee-couplers today, and it looks very nice, and much more realistic than the short couplers. Also shunting operation worked fine. No problems with K-tracks so far, but it seems I have to bend the "tail" of the couplers a little upwards, as it sometimes hits the pukos of the turnouts. Problem is that the couplers are around 1 mm lower than recommended by Kadee.

UserPostedImage

Here you see the difference in the coupler hight. The car an the right hand side (a Metaltrain flat car) has the correct coupler hight of 10 mm above the rail level. On the PA-1 as well as on all my other M* stuff it is only 8.5 to 9 mm.

UserPostedImage

Nevertheless the couplers work excellent. I'll eventually exchange the couplers of my complete freight car fleet. One thing I should mention: if you have grades on your layout, be carefull that there are no abrupt transitions of the slope. The Kadee couplers are more sensitive here than the M* ones.

Hans Martin
Offline pserup  
#8 Posted : 06 November 2006 19:32:47(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by PierreGILLARD
Hans Martin : A suggestion for you in order to couple old Relex cars with new Kadee fitted-ones : have an intermediate car with a NEM coupler on one side and a Kadee coupler on the other. That's what I did !

Pierre.

Same solution here. Also, my double traction PA-1's have a kadee coupler in one end and a M close coupler in the other... It may look weird but it's functional [^]
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#9 Posted : 06 November 2006 21:43:46(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hmsfix
<br />(...) Here you see the difference in the coupler hight. The car an the right hand side (a Metaltrain flat car) has the correct coupler hight of 10 mm above the rail level. On the PA-1 as well as on all my other M* stuff it is only 8.5 to 9 mm.

UserPostedImage

(...)

Thanks for your report, Hans Martin. I totally second you on Kadee couplers.

Effectively, the Kadee coupler is going low on front of PA1's as illustrated on the above picture. It is due to the fact that the NEM pocket is located on a long arm system that has the tendency to go lower due to the coupler weight.

No such problem on the GG-1 :

UserPostedImage

In order to bend trip pin of Kadee couplers, I use these special Kadee # 237 pliers like this.

UserPostedImage

Pierre.
Offline hmsfix  
#10 Posted : 07 November 2006 01:09:29(UTC)
hmsfix

Pierre,

Very interesting tool for making well-defined bending radii, this plier. BTW your new PRR coaches look extremely nice with the GG-1, and the coupling distance seems prototypically small now.

I have found that the Kadee couplers are sitting rather loose in the Märklin NEM pockets. I have added a small paper strip when inserting the couplers into the pocket, and fastened the two tiny screws of the coupler mechanics on the underside of the PA-1 more tightly. Coupler height seems to be better now.

Hans Martin
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#11 Posted : 07 November 2006 02:18:44(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hmsfix
<br />Pierre,

Very interesting tool for making well-defined bending radii, this plier. BTW your new PRR coaches look extremely nice with the GG-1, and the coupling distance seems prototypically small now.

I have found that the Kadee couplers are sitting rather loose in the Märklin NEM pockets. I have added a small paper strip when inserting the couplers into the pocket, and fastened the two tiny screws of the coupler mechanics on the underside of the PA-1 more tightly. Coupler height seems to be better now.

Hans Martin

Will check that on my two PA-1's. Thanks Hans Martin.

By the way, the car is not a PRR but a Canadian National Pullman sleeper. Further details on this forum and my website.wink

Pierre.