Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2013 16:33:10(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the Marklin couplers with the Kadee NEM 362 couplers and incorporated a magnet into the track?

The reason I ask is I found some Kadee NEN 362 couplers at the local hobby store which I did not know exist and I bought one package of each size. (#17, #18, #19, #20)

They seem to work great!

Michel

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2013 20:22:10(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the Marklin couplers with the Kadee NEM 362 couplers and incorporated a magnet into the track?

The reason I ask is I found some Kadee NEN 362 couplers at the local hobby store which I did not know exist and I bought one package of each size. (#17, #18, #19, #20)
They seem to work great! Michel

Hi Michel,all,
A few things, you won't close coupling with the Kadee's just so you know.Smile
The uncoupling magnet can go under the track and I *think* under the baseboard,...

Also get the coupler height jig #206

Dr D

Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2013 23:10:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Good Morning,

They seem to work great!

Michel

Hi Michel,

I want to experiment changing my Marklin couplers to Kadee, because I am tired of not being able to couple up on curves.

What is your expereince with Kadee in this situation?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2013 23:43:33(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Kimball,

I am only able to couple on the R5 curves since I'm using the Kadee#18 NEM 362 Medium Coupler 8.63mm (.340") which allows me to have close coupling between the cars. I'm sure if I use the longer couplers (Kadee #19 or #20) it would allow me to couple on tighter curves but I would rather have close coupling.

It's something new and interesting and I would still like to know if anyone else is using Kadee couplers?

Regards,

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Drongo  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2013 04:34:49(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hello Kimball,

I am only able to couple on the R5 curves since I'm using the Kadee#18 NEM 362 Medium Coupler 8.63mm (.340") which allows me to have close coupling between the cars. I'm sure if I use the longer couplers (Kadee #19 or #20) it would allow me to couple on tighter curves but I would rather have close coupling.

It's something new and interesting and I would still like to know if anyone else is using Kadee couplers?

Regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

I used 2 Kadee 19's on 2 locos so that I could form a consist. The standard Marklin couplers would get tangled with the buffers - that's why I changed over. The trouble I had with the Kadee couplers was that the piece that hangs down would occasionally touch the centre power tabs, so I had to shorten them. Also, if the track is a little dirty and the locos jerk a little, this will cause the couplings to disengage.

Regards
Greg

Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline kc6uvm_George  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2013 08:34:11(UTC)
kc6uvm_George

United States   
Hi Micheal and all,

I use the Kadee couplers mainly on my American HO dc engines and rolling stock. Kadees have a bad habit of being finicky on uneven track, will uncouple and the hanging trip pin can snag rail/frogs on switches as it passes over if it's too low. And as it was said before, the trip pin will also temporally short out the center stud if the coupler isn't electrically isolated from the car.

Can't see why NEM Kadees wouldn't work as long as the trip pin and coupler is adjusted to the correct height using a #205 or 206 Kadee coupler gauge.
George,
73 de kc6uvm
NMRA life member
Lancaster, CA