Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Share
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Token  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2016 09:07:19(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Joined: 25/01/2009(UTC)
Posts: 300
Location: Sydney, NSW
I am bringing my sentimental favourite, Santa Fe 3060 into the 21st century so I can give it the occasional run on my (yet to be built) digital layout.

High performance motor and MFX installed with sound. I am on the hunt for improved lighting - particularly number boards and drivers cab such as dome in the latest F7, 39620.

One aspect that I never liked was the appearance of the couplers. Has anyone had a crack at upgrading these to kadees? If so, how?

Regards,


Michael.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Token
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2016 09:56:41(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Portugal   
Joined: 16/11/2011(UTC)
Posts: 4,783
Location: Southwesternmost
Forum member Alberto Pedrini did that:

Link: https://www.marklin-user...ndP--NYC--ARR#post461609

In post 863 he published a photo of his SOO F7 with a Kadee coupler in the front, and in posts 868 and 869 he is hinting a little bit how he achieved this (using NEM pocket included in loco box).

I just ordered myself the Maerklin EMD F7 front skirt snow plow set as replacement part to experiment.

Edited by user 20 January 2016 13:35:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2016 12:19:29(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Joined: 01/03/2008(UTC)
Posts: 2,839
Location: South Western France
Originally Posted by: Token Go to Quoted Post
I am bringing my sentimental favourite, Santa Fe 3060 into the 21st century so I can give it the occasional run on my (yet to be built) digital layout.

High performance motor and MFX installed with sound. I am on the hunt for improved lighting - particularly number boards and drivers cab such as dome in the latest F7, 39620.

One aspect that I never liked was the appearance of the couplers. Has anyone had a crack at upgrading these to kadees? If so, how?

Regards,


Michael.


Hello Michael, Ak and all

See pictures

kadee on 4060.jpg

kadee on 4060-02.jpg

I use the short centerset shank for the rear of the 4060, the long centerset for the front.

Mounted with simple M2 x 8 screw + nut and a drop of loc-tite to keep it in place, still allowing the coupler to move laterally.

Works perfectly for me, including when I use US style non Märklin rolling stock like Whalters , Athearn, etc.

And very easy/not messy to return to original Märklin set up if I need to.

The info on couplers part numbers is here: http://www.kadee.com/htm.../HO-Scale%20Couplers.htm

Hope this helps

Jacques

Edited by user 20 January 2016 15:41:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2016 22:51:50(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Portugal   
Joined: 16/11/2011(UTC)
Posts: 4,783
Location: Southwesternmost
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
I just ordered myself the Maerklin EMD F7 front skirt snow plow set as replacement part to experiment.
Here are the snow plows for the EMD F7: With simple hooks looking better than the normal couplers, but no possibility to convert to Kadee...
IMG_2289.jpg

Edited by user 10 February 2016 09:28:11(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline 3rail4life  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2016 07:39:11(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Joined: 23/12/2011(UTC)
Posts: 425
Location: Northern California
Hi Michael & All,

I too have thought a lot about improving the looks and operation of my vintage Märklin F7 diesels, Especially the couplers. On all my multi units I use the drawbars between locos. I like the looks of Jacque's solution for the Kadee's and may have to give that a try as well.

For the Kadee's, I used the #17 with the Märklin E203679 pocket:





They are litle bit too long for my taste but seem to work well with the Trix freight car couplers.

For looks I prefer the early style dummy coupler that came with the California Zephyr:






I have tried to find the part number to check on availability, if anybody knows it, please let us know... Cool

Cheers,
Gordon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2016 07:56:38(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Joined: 01/03/2008(UTC)
Posts: 2,839
Location: South Western France
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
Hi Michael & All,

I too have thought a lot about improving the looks and operation of my vintage Märklin F7 diesels, Especially the couplers. On all my multi units I use the drawbars between locos. I like the looks of Jacque's solution for the Kadee's and may have to give that a try as well.

For the Kadee's, I used the #17 with the Märklin E203679 pocket
......

Cheers,
Gordon


I tried that too, but like you did not like the looks..
Besides Kadee's for NEM pockets are more expensive..
One problem I still need to solve is finding a proper centering spring solution.
Sometimes I need to re-center the coupler before hooking up the train.
But it works perfectly: my UP DLS freight made of a 4 x UP F7 A+B+B+B units + 25 (unmodified) Athearn stock cars makes its rounds without uncoupling or derailment.
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

| Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2020, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.579 seconds.