Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael Jervis  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2017 13:56:31(UTC)
Michael Jervis

I hope someone on here might have experience with a Marklin Grand Central Station 3. I have stupid basic questions. How do I move the pages on on the help screens? And how do I register a DCC engine? Do I disconnect the main track to use the programming track or is it done on screen?
Offline Michael Jervis  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2017 14:41:33(UTC)
Michael Jervis

The manual is a bit flaky. Nothing happens on screen when I put a DCC fitted engine on the programming track. Should it? Or should I continue with the programming procedure? Also, how do I delete the two locos which are already there?
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2017 16:38:36(UTC)
Goofy

I have Märklin book in english about CS3.
You don´t need programming track to call up new DCC locomotive.
Just put the locomotive on the main track.
Click on the edit symbol and click on the direct adress drive.
You see now it stand numbers and choice of the protocols.
Click on the symbol okey.

How to delete locomotives:
Call up locomotive adress
Click on the icon symbol "edit"
You see in the upper corner there is an icon symbol "trash" which also stand delete.

You can also go to Märklins homepage and download manual of the CS3.
There is english language to read it too.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Michael Jervis  
#4 Posted : 14 October 2017 18:01:50(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Yes, but you can’t program it there. I need to change the address
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2017 23:32:46(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Michael Jervis Go to Quoted Post
I have stupid basic questions. How do I move the pages on on the help screens?

The CS3 does not have Help screens as such, The so called "Help" button will take you to one of the five tutorial "Assistants"

To move the assistant dialogue windows around the screen you hold your finger/cursor on the title-bar and drag it around.

To remove the assistant you may either complete the tutorial or uncheck the "Start Up language and assistant" option found under System->CS3->System section

Tip: If you have naively clicked the "Gleisebildeditor" assistant , whose "X" close button does not work, you can navigate , in the background, to System->Assistance and chose one of the other assistance to overlay the faulty one and close that.
Comment: Other assistants have the same issue with the "X" not working - usually these have an action that can be completed or a next button to move you forward. However it is possible to get into a no-go situation, as above, and you may use the same trick to clear the tutorial.
Peter
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 15 October 2017 01:48:19(UTC)
TEEWolf

Yes, but you can’t program it there. I need to change the address

Please look at the software version of your CS 3. It is also possible that with the newest software version 1.3.1, you still cannot program the address yet. You have to wait for the next update. This was the answer from Maerklin, after one member asked about altering the mfx addresses. So it is documented in the CS 3 manual but not yet working.Cool

Please be not surprised. Similar thing happened to me with the Software version 1.1.. I could not update my MS 2 to the newest software. Since software version 1.2 it is working perfectly.
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2017 09:10:40(UTC)
Goofy

Of course!
Silly me...i forgot bugs in the CS3.
The CS3 is still not working 100% perfect.
H0
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 15 October 2017 11:25:54(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
you still cannot program the address yet. You have to wait for the next update. This was the answer from Maerklin, after one member asked about altering the mfx addresses. So it is documented in the CS 3 manual but not yet working.Cool

What are you talking about ?
Elaboration (references) required!

This question was about DCC not mFX

The CS3 can configure a DCC decoder

Peter
Offline Michael Jervis  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2017 14:56:45(UTC)
Michael Jervis

If all this is true then what is the programming track for? And can you edit DCC on the main track despite the power difference?
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 15 October 2017 17:47:54(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
you still cannot program the address yet. You have to wait for the next update. This was the answer from Maerklin, after one member asked about altering the mfx addresses. So it is documented in the CS 3 manual but not yet working.Cool

What are you talking about ?
Elaboration (references) required!

This question was about DCC not mFX

The CS3 can configure a DCC decoder

I did not wrote, it is definitely not doing programming. I only pointed out that there is a possibility for a gap in the software. Please compare @Goofy's thread #7.

I read about Maerklin's answer in another community and only wanted to forward this information. But I cannot find this thread yet. Sorry, so I cannot tell you, if it is valid for a specific or all formats.

I also wrote about my own, personal experience with the CS 3 software in addition mentioning my software problems related to the version.

My remark is only a hint for further consideration and checking. This was also the reason, why I was asking about the software version at the beginning of my post.

If your CS 3 is working fine, it is wonderful and be happy. But why don't you tell us, as you achieved your CS 3 performance? What are you doing fore that?
Offline Michael Jervis  
#11 Posted : 15 October 2017 18:06:26(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Would clapcott be willing to give a step by step instruction list for changing the address of a DCC loco using CS3? It might just save my sanity.
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 15 October 2017 18:28:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

If all this is true then what is the programming track for? And can you edit DCC on the main track despite the power difference?

You use the programming track as you always did. No changes to that, because only for mfx you do not need this track. For all other formats it is necessary, if you do not want to reprogram all your locos with the same digital address. Or to remove them all from your layout before you start programming. This has not to be done with mfx. Certainly an advantage of the mfx format.

Just this weekend I realized how useful mfx can be and is already. (I visited a train event and it was dreadful to get for all the various locos an own, individual, but necessary digital address. Because only the MM and DCC format was for an use possible. But most of the locos had the same MM or DCC address. The standard address as it was set up by the producer. For these a reprogramming on the programming track had to be done and needed endless time. With mfx, you just could have put the 20 locos - one after another recommended - on the track. Waiting for their automatic registration and let them run).

Working more and more with my CS 3 and the only Maerklin format mfx, it occurs more and more Maerklin introduced the format mfx not to achieve an international standard. For this they installed the multi protocol ability for its controller and articles.

Mfx shall make their customer's model railroad live easier. And indeed, it does! Because you do not need this programming track for mfx. Meanwhile you see the mfx format not only in their locos. They use it for further magnetic articles, which need a digital address, e.g. their signals, function decoders.

Example: the new decoder m83 black (60832) is now able to use the mfx format too. The old decoder m83 grey (60831) does not!
Offline Michael Jervis  
#13 Posted : 15 October 2017 20:07:24(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Thank you. All good I’m sure, but how do I change the address of a DCC chip? All are set to 3. I can change the top speed, for example, but the address won’t change. I wonder if I should just connect another controller and change the addresses on that. CS3 seems really user unfriendly.
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 15 October 2017 22:06:05(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
No changes to that, because only for mfx you do not need this track.

Not correct, why do you think POM stands for "Programming on Main"?

I will try and break out a couple of aspects that have been merged and made murky.

1) the programming track has (certainly had) a number of functions
- a) to write CVs to any/all decoders -
- - This is most logically done for an initial address setup.
- b) to read all DCC decoder CVs
- - MM decoders (or decoders in MM mode) can only be written to
- - DCC (non Railcom decoders) may be read but this requires that they are the only device on the programming track, as the controller sends a broadcast command with no address, and any decoder will respond
- c) restrict power
- - Today this is considered rather moot because of the need to support sound, but originally limiting the current meant that a badly installed decoder (crossed/shorted wires) might possibly be survived
- d) as an operational design of a controller , programming of bulk data items like firmware and sound is done using the programming track
- - while it would be possible with modern decoders to do this on the main track, the limitation is a pragmatic one as these functions are best done in a clean environment with a single device, rather than having to support the electrical noise and chatter on the main line

2) PoM = Programming on the Main Track is a DCC concept for
- a) making use of a known address to target a decoder
- b) is limited to write only
- c) because of the need to know the address before programming others, it is an operational design limitation that the one CV that cannot be programming this way is CV1 - the primary address

3) MM Register (CV) programming
- a) never designed for reading
- b) May be used in an environment that has static decodes (m83/m84) embedded in the layout and a controller without a specific programming track
- c) This is a device implementation whereby it will only respond to a programming command if the immediate prior command (normal switching) that it heard on the wire was for itself.

4) mFX or Railcom
- a) bidirectional by design
- b) require Controller (booster) support of the ability to read (listen) to someone else on the track

There is a lot more that can be said on this topic, but hopefully it has indicated that when you are asking about programming there are a number of important bits of information that you must also take into account
- is the decoder capable
- is the controller capable
- are you setting the decoder address, or another configuration aspect
- are you needing to read or is write only acceptable
- are you do advanced programming for sound uploads
- are you do advanced programming for decoder firmware update
- is the manual sufficient or do you have to read between the lines

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Michael Jervis  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2017 22:13:34(UTC)
Michael Jervis

You know, every time there’s a reply on here I fill with hope. Unfortunately I still don’t know how to change an address.
Offline clapcott  
#16 Posted : 15 October 2017 22:29:28(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Would clapcott be willing to give a step by step instruction list for changing the address of a DCC loco ...

- 1) Open the manual at page 12 (English) and locate the section "Editing Locomotive Settings" and the chapter "Reading the address on the Locomotive Decoder"
- 2) locate a pen to write in an errata ...
- 3) immediately below the heading, before the step that instructs you press the read button write ...

- If possible (address already know) turn the lights on to observe programming progress
! perform the following even if the loco/decoder is already on the programing track
- Press stop (stop light on) on the CS3,
- Ensure the locomotive/decoder is connected to the programming track
- Press start (stop light off) on the CS3

- 1) At the bottom of the same page column AFTER the "Reading the address on the Locomotive Decoder" chapter
- 2) locate a pen to write in errata
- 3) insert ...

"Writting a new the address on the Locomotive Decoder"

when on the Info panel of the locomotive edit screen.
- If possible (address already know) turn the lights on to observe programming progress
! perform the following even if the loco/decoder is already on the programing track
- Press stop (stop light on) on the CS3,
- Ensure the locomotive/decoder is connected to the programming track
- Press start (stop light off) on the CS3

Tip - DO NOT use the "+" and "-" buttons to step up/down to the new address
- Tap in the address field to bring up the numeric keypad
- Type the new address using the keypad
- Press the return/enter key

WAIT and observe
- after the keypad closes, the CS3 immediately starts its programming operation (no messages)
- if lights are on , they will blink - you may also hear the sound/motor pulse.
WAIT a little bit longer

Tip - It may not be obvious as to when a the programming is finished. If you are willing to dig into the bowels of the blue Configuration tab, you may perform other changes and may observe the "xx CV's to write" countdown - progress message at the top left of the screen

Comment:
If not already obvious, Marklin have designed the current CS3 to only do programming "immediately after" a Stop/Start.
And as per track record,
- they will not check this situation and proceed to be reading only to fail
- if you succeed , it is rare that you are informed of this.

Edited by user 16 October 2017 05:47:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Michael Jervis  
#17 Posted : 15 October 2017 23:11:44(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Thank you so much. I owe you several beers.
Mike
Offline Michael Jervis  
#18 Posted : 16 October 2017 15:21:38(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Aaargh! Still will neither read nor write a DCC Loco.
Offline Michael Jervis  
#19 Posted : 16 October 2017 18:32:58(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Has anyone ever read or programmed a DCC loco using CS3. I don’t think it can be done. I’ve switched to Dynamis Ultima and it’s easy.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#20 Posted : 16 October 2017 20:56:37(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello,

First I don't have a CS3/CS3+, only a CS2.

Using my CS2, I've created many DCC locos without any trouble.

However, the doc of the CS3 may be a bit confusing, and I'm trying to suggest a procedure based on the CS3 doc, and my feedback of use of the CS2...
I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, but it will be very surprising not to be able to create a DCC loco...

1) Use only the programming track
2) As stated in the doc, non-mfx locos must be created manually ! See page 11 left side
3) create a new entry manually with dcc protocol; name it the way you want; don't use the loco database; you may add an icon later...and also rename the loco with a more meaningful name
4) what is unclear in the doc is relative to the address of the loco: if you don't know it, when using the cs2, a facility (small icon allowing to read from track to cs) allow to read the decoder address. If you don't find such a facility in the cs3 when adding manually a loco, then I would suggest to enter some unused fake value for the address you will modify later ... try 111 for instance...
5) then save it !!!
6) afterwards, you have to edit this loco by clicking on the wrench, and change all the data you need including the address. Page 12 left side at the bottom, shows an icon allowing to read the address...In the worst case, modifying CV1 (for addresses below 128) will allow to change the address (see page 13 right side at the bottom).

The manual registering is a two step process:
-step 1 : register an incomplete loco. This allows to create an entry in the CS storage
-step 2 : adjust parameters and CV when needed, then write it to the decoder

In the CS2, creating an loco entry in the CS and write values to the decoder are distinct process. Once you have understood this, things are much more easy.
I don't know if M has wished to simplify the process with the CS3, by trying to generate some automatic write of the decoder, but I'm thinking it is still a bit unclear.

Until so far, this is the best procedure I can suggest.

HTH
fabrice

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline mvd71  
#21 Posted : 18 October 2017 07:05:08(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Has anyone ever read or programmed a DCC loco using CS3. I don’t think it can be done. I’ve switched to Dynamis Ultima and it’s easy.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you keep talking to Clapcott, as he is very knowledgeable and has helped us all in the past with good advice, and will always try to stick to the facts.

Cheers....

Mike
Offline Michael Jervis  
#22 Posted : 18 October 2017 07:46:38(UTC)
Michael Jervis

Thank you Mike. I live in hope but this thread seems to have run it’s course. I’m just using the Ultima now. It’s not so pretty but at least it’s stable. Mug that I am I’ve sent for the new CS3 book. If that fails I’ll just take a big financial hit and put the CS3 on EBay. With the book and a warning.
Offline Goofy  
#23 Posted : 18 October 2017 09:21:40(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I have Märklin book in english about CS3.
You don´t need programming track to call up new DCC locomotive.
Just put the locomotive on the main track.
Click on the edit symbol and click on the direct adress drive.
You see now it stand numbers and choice of the protocols.
Click on the symbol okey.

How to delete locomotives:
Call up locomotive adress
Click on the icon symbol "edit"
You see in the upper corner there is an icon symbol "trash" which also stand delete.

You can also go to Märklins homepage and download manual of the CS3.
There is english language to read it too.

I forgot to write that if you want to change the adress of the locomotive with DCC protocol,you must do this with the programing track.
Not with the PoM!
Make sure that there is locomotives adress stand first before to change the adress.
H0