Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cintrans  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2018 01:44:29(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hi all

I am new to this forum, and after being absent from model trains for more then 35 years, just getting back into it...
Name is Jean-Pierre by the way....

I do have a question on what would be the best way forward for me.
This is what i have:
- Layout with M-rails
- some analog locs
- 2 delta locs (Marklin #3466 & #3467)
- Analog transformer Marklin # 37547A
- Delta transformer & controller combo # 67025 & 67030
- Marklin 60760 - High Performance Digital Retrofit Set

Now my question, if i update the delta lok with the 5 pole motor only from the kit (and keep the original delta decoder) will the lok's performance improve on the ANALOG TRACK using the 37547 transformer?
If i also change the decoder from the kit, will it still drive using the 37547 transformer?
If i instead power up the track with the delta combo, can i still use the analog loks on the layout, without retrofitting them?

regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2018 03:24:51(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Jean-Pierre, if it were me in your situation I would sell the analog locos & old transformer & upgrade your controller to a digital one. You can pickup an older original Marklin digital System #6020 etc on Ebay for a reasonable price or / Ecos 50200 for a reasonable price or at bargain basement price just a Mobile station like the Marklin #60657 @ EUR79.00. If you like the challenge of doing the conversions to your older analog locos that is great but just be aware of the costs. Your Marklin #37547 RAe will really run nicely on a digital system. As for your delta locos, just leave them as they are. It is cheaper to search out a good digital loco you want at your price if you just have patients & look on E-bay. That's my two cents worth.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Marklin-...96b77:g:8UkAAOSwKA1a-YIY

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ESU-5020...030c1:g:tLwAAOSw6QpbQfFG

Edited by user 11 July 2018 07:45:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

D.A.Banks
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2018 09:30:41(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Jean Peirre,

You cannot use the five pole motor from the 60760 with the delta decoder. With the items you have listed, I would use the delta controller initially to get going, but as you upgrade the analogue locos it would be easiest to use the the various marklin kits that they make for different locos, and eventually upgrade to a newer controller, eg MS3 or MS2, to get the best performance from your trains.

Cheers....

Mike
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2018 12:27:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would start with a Marklin mobile station and a new transformer. Model rail these days is not cheap but in the end it pays to start with the right stuff. AT some point you may also wish to consider C track and a Marklin Central Station. Unless you are really keen to keep the older locos you have they could be sold and with the proceeds and the cash saved on upgrading two you could possibly buy a new Marklin loco.
If you are serious about building a new layout and are prepared to invest in this over a period of time then my view would be to start with the modern Marklin stuff.

This is just what I would do but of course everybody has their own view.

PS you can get a Marklin start sets for around 225 euros.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 11 July 2018 20:40:45(UTC)
Minok

United States   
If your plan is to go digital, and you are planning to build a larger layout over time, then sell off the older gear and use the funds to purchase new or used digital stuff that is made in the last 10 or so years. The older stuff will work, if you do conversion work on some of it, but thats time and money that won't get you a better result other than having the older loco still running - if your emotionally attached to them for personal reasons. If your not fully committed and just seeing if you still have the interest and/or like spending the time tinkering to get the conversions done, then converting may be the better option till your sure, but thats a sunk cost (time and resources of upgrading the old loco).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline cintrans  
#6 Posted : 12 July 2018 01:59:53(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hello again

Thanks for the information so far.

Model railroading is not the highest on my list of interest, HAM radio, model truck building and full size classic / custom cars are in front of it. As a kid i had a simple layout and probably partially due to nostalgia i got back into it recently.

Main idea was / is to set up a RoLa (Rollende Landstrasse) / industrial backdrop to complement my HO scale truck collection. Therefore i am not really looking to go full fleshed digital at this time, but would rather tinker around (witch obviously i enjoy) with what i have and try to run this at its full potential, or improve it where i can....

I am on a (relative small) rock in the middle of the ocean, no model shops here, so everything is "overseas shipping" and "import duty's", no break for me on prices....

Mike, thanks for the input on the five pole motor / delta decoder. So, if i change the supplied decoder also, can i still run that lok then with the delta controller? I guess i would not run any longer with the standard transformer, right?

Thanks again for the feedback!!

Jean-Pierre

Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 12 July 2018 02:56:58(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Jean-Pierre.
When I saw you were from Aruba, I had no idea where it was, so I googled it. I guess from where you live, you are a long way from regular postal deliveries etc. Looks like a great place to live. Take it easy and enjoy the trains. Keep asking questions and you will get your trains working ok. Its a great hobby. be aware though, its catchy.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 12 July 2018 03:17:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jean-Pierre.
When I saw you were from Aruba, I had no idea where it was, so I googled it. I guess from where you live, you are a long way from regular postal deliveries etc. Looks like a great place to live. Take it easy and enjoy the trains. Keep asking questions and you will get your trains working ok. Its a great hobby. be aware though, its catchy.
Dereck

Yes well, but is Aruba not a part of the Netherlands? OK, not in Europe, but nevertheless are the people over there Dutch and a part of the EU?
Offline cintrans  
#9 Posted : 12 July 2018 04:52:02(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Aruba has a "status aparte" under the Dutch Kingdom, Dutch passports yes, not a part of the EU, located in the Southern part of the Caribbean.
Import duty's on almost everything and slow and expensive postal and customs system.... but a heck of a place to spend your days!!!!

Jean-Pierre
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 12 July 2018 14:29:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
A lot of "overseas territories" have unique relationships with the EU. In Gibraltar we are in the EU (for now) and have free movement of people but not of goods. Therefore we pay import duties but not VAT.

When I visited Jersey in the Channel Islands recently I found out that they have free movement of goods but not of people, the opposite of us.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 12 July 2018 18:15:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Aruba has a "status aparte" under the Dutch Kingdom, Dutch passports yes, not a part of the EU, located in the Southern part of the Caribbean.
Import duty's on almost everything and slow and expensive postal and customs system.... but a heck of a place to spend your days!!!!

Jean-Pierre

Are you telling me, the Netherlands issue two different passports? One for EU citizens and one for overseas citizens? Or in other words, the Netherlands got a first and second class citizenship? Strange EU and I understand GB every day better to leave this club of hypocrites.
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 12 July 2018 18:40:02(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
A lot of "overseas territories" have unique relationships with the EU. In Gibraltar we are in the EU (for now) and have free movement of people but not of goods. Therefore we pay import duties but not VAT.

When I visited Jersey in the Channel Islands recently I found out that they have free movement of goods but not of people, the opposite of us.

This is correct, because Gibraltar is a so called "British Overseas Territory (BOT)" (not a part of GB but under their statehood and the only BOT belonging to the EU too). Whereas the Channel Islands and Isle of Man are also not a part of GB or a crown colony (today: British Overseas Territories). They are straight "Crown dependencies" and does belong "only" straight to the Queen.Smile

England, GB, Commmonwealth, etc. is not easy to understand. But it does not matter. GB even does not have a constitution and it works perfectly. Very rare in the world, but nevertheless it is functioning. They must have great people. I think New Zealand and Israel does also not have a written constitution. Such a situation for Germany? Simply unbelievable.
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 12 July 2018 18:40:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Before the 1981 British Nationality Act, British passports for Gibraltarians did not include the automatic right of abode in the UK, but were over-stamped "The holder is a UK citizen for EU purposes". How's that for a laugh!

The EU has many faults but nothing can be changed if you're outside it. For Gibraltar Brexit may be quite a disaster economically, but we only had a small share of the vote at the referendum and had zero influence with the majority of UK citizens.

I don't want to discuss politics here, but if we get antagonism from our neighbours now that we are both EU members, imagine when we are not....
Ray
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline cintrans  
#14 Posted : 12 July 2018 18:45:49(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
TEEwolf

With all due respect, i joined this forum to get informed about MARKLIN MODEL TRAINS, not to broadcast my opinion or hear about yours concerning the EU, passports, citizenship, etc, etc....

I might be new here, but i would appreciate it if we can stick to the topic at hand.... that's the reason i joined....

Best regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 12 July 2018 18:53:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Jean Pierre, our apologies if we have strayed away from the topic under discussion, but you will find if you stay with us for any length of time that this happens in most discussion threads.

Please be patient and just politely remind the offending members what you would like discussed in your topic.

(...and try not to shout!)
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline cintrans  
#16 Posted : 13 July 2018 01:27:45(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Ray

Not a problem, i am not a grumpy old man or a vinegar pisser that has a problem with everybody else.
Most of us live in free country's where you have the right to express yourself, no matter what opinion you have on whatever topic. I do respect that.

As said, i am new here, and don't know the law-of-the-land on this forum yet. I do not have a problem if straying away from a topic is a common thing here, i'll be more patient and reserved next time around....

Back to the topic at hand then:
- Would my delta lok, upgraded with the complete 60760 kit still drive with either the analog transformer or the delta transformer / controller combo?
- Is there (besides the digital aspect) a improvement in performance of the lok if you do the mod? e.a. better torque or low speed performance or something?

Best regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 13 July 2018 01:30:07(UTC)
TEEWolf

TEEwolf

With all due respect, i joined this forum to get informed about MARKLIN MODEL TRAINS, not to broadcast my opinion or hear about yours concerning the EU, passports, citizenship, etc, etc....

I might be new here, but i would appreciate it if we can stick to the topic at hand.... that's the reason i joined....

Best regards
Jean-Pierre

Hello Jean-Pierre,

sure, I can. But first a question: have you ever used the search function in this forum?

I just searched for "delta loco to 5 pole" and got a return of 50 pages. Here is one:

https://www.marklin-user...60760-Decoder#post566120

Do not know, if this answers your questions. But don't you think it is a start?

Another point. Nobody else was answering your questions. Because you are definitely not the first person asking these questions. But if I write an answer to you, then there are plenty of people at marklin-users.net who knows it better, but they never start answering your questions before.Cool

Finally and indeed: I am interested in people from Aruba too. Not only from Australia, Japan, or anywhere else all over the world. A part of this interest is to get more information about your island, state and normal living circumstances. Especially it is a small one, normally we do not know very much about your island in Europe.BigGrin

Of course I do want to know more of your MRR too. But do you know that Märklin published two different books, which are still available at the moment?

Article # 03092 "Controlling Digitally with the Central Station 3" Book (in English available)
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/03092

Article # 03070 "Returning/Changing Over to Digital Model Railroading" (only in German available)
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/03070

Also they inform you on its homepage about a digitally railroad.
https://www.maerklin.de/...ion/model-train-control/

and why you only shall use switching power supplies
https://www.maerklin.de/...itched-mode-power-packs/

Finally I am interested, which MRR

(abbreviations like MRR at marklin-users.net you find under this link
https://www.marklin-user...ionary-of-Abbreviations)

are you interested in: an analogue or a digital MRR or do you want to operate both systems parallel? But you cannot operate a digital MRR (the delta system is already a digital operating system) on an analogue one. But a analogue loco runs on your digital railway with high speed without any speed control. Looks nice for a certain time, but it is not my intention for a longer time playing with a MRR. And indeed I am a little bit confused too about your question, if a 5 pole motor gives you a smoother running than what else? Is this really a major problem?

Best regards

TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 13 July 2018 01:50:11(UTC)
TEEWolf

Ray

Not a problem, i am not a grumpy old man or a vinegar pisser that has a problem with everybody else.
Most of us live in free country's where you have the right to express yourself, no matter what opinion you have on whatever topic. I do respect that.

As said, i am new here, and don't know the law-of-the-land on this forum yet. I do not have a problem if straying away from a topic is a common thing here, i'll be more patient and reserved next time around....

Back to the topic at hand then:
- Would my delta lok, upgraded with the complete 60760 kit still drive with either the analog transformer or the delta transformer / controller combo?
- Is there (besides the digital aspect) a improvement in performance of the lok if you do the mod? e.a. better torque or low speed performance or something?

Best regards
Jean-Pierre

Sorry, while I answered your other post you wrote a new one.

Again, after upgrading a loco with the 60760 kit it cannot be operated on a analogue railroad. It may harm your digital decoder.

Of course a digital equipment in a loco has a much better performance in all technical functions as the analogue one. Digitally you are able to change at your decoder plenty of features via the CV's by yourself influencing the performance of the loco. For me one major advantage of a digital MRR against an analogue one. But even an analoge MRR has still its own charm.

Offline cintrans  
#19 Posted : 13 July 2018 02:13:17(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
TEEWolf

Thank you for the information and links, it is appreciated.

No, i did not use the search function on this forum before, did google searches and got some info that way (and found the digital Marklin books that way...)

I want to make due with what i have so far (reason given in previous post), but want to squeeze what i can get out of it.... analog or delta (digital) is not that important to me, as long as the lok moves smooth on the track pulling the RoLa's carrying my Herpa truck collection.....

No problem if you want to know more on Aruba, fire away with your questions....

BTW, we did spend a week in Bavaria last July, came to the Hamfest in Friedrichshafen, visited the Herpa museum, Bayern Munich stadion and other interesting places. Hope to pay a visit to the Porsche / Marklin museum next year when we are in Europe

Best regards

Jean-Pierre
Offline dominator  
#20 Posted : 13 July 2018 02:33:11(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Jean-Pierre. You are right, discussions of a religious or political nature are not usually allowed on forums like this, but we are only human.
You will see the "friendly Rivalry" between Australians and New Zealanders over sports, so we like to give each other shite.
As for the conversion. It will run on analogue as far as I can tell , but you are recommended not to use a blue transformer because it emits higher voltage spikes in the reverse mode. As for if it runs any better, I dont know. Possibly will with a 5 pole motor, but all my analogue and Delta locos dont run very well, especially at low speed. Why not do comparison tests, do the conversion and let us know. Someone else out there may be able to tell you what will happen.
Dereck
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 13 July 2018 03:15:33(UTC)
TEEWolf

TEEWolf

Thank you for the information and links, it is appreciated.

No, i did not use the search function on this forum before, did google searches and got some info that way (and found the digital Marklin books that way...)

I want to make due with what i have so far (reason given in previous post), but want to squeeze what i can get out of it.... analog or delta (digital) is not that important to me, as long as the lok moves smooth on the track pulling the RoLa's carrying my Herpa truck collection.....

No problem if you want to know more on Aruba, fire away with your questions....

BTW, we did spend a week in Bavaria last July, came to the Hamfest in Friedrichshafen, visited the Herpa museum, Bayern Munich stadion and other interesting places. Hope to pay a visit to the Porsche / Marklin museum next year when we are in Europe

Best regards

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre,

if you want to visit Hans-Peter Porsche Traumwerk we have a few topics here at marklin-users.net about this MRR. I visited the dreamwork and wrote some tips how to get there with public transportation by train and bus.

https://www.marklin-user...-Peter-Porsche-Traumwerk

Here a few links about the Traumwerk, so you may dream about the dreamwork till your next visit BigGrin. Even marklin-users.net members made very nice videos about this MRR already and posted them here.

https://www.traumwerk.de/

https://www.marklin-user...ns-Pieter-Porsche-layout

https://www.marklin-user...o-see-in-Western-Austria

While I was searching some topics about HP dreamworks I found another topic for a 60760 update - just I am not to much off topic again.Smile

https://www.marklin-user...locos-with-60760-Decoder

Best regards

TEEWolf

P.S.: which RoLa did you get? I bought this year Märklin's RoLa trainset # 26531

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/26531/

with a Delta system decoder inside. My first one - all other digital locos (I still have several analogue locos from about my railway 50 years ago) I bought got only mfx or mfx+ decoders on board. But I could not test my train set yet, because I do not have a functioning layout at the moment.

Offline cintrans  
#22 Posted : 13 July 2018 03:59:37(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
TEEWolf

I was inspired by this video on Youtube about the "traumwerk museum":

My RoLa is not the set, but the separate 474x rail cars (7 of them) loaded with my own Herpa trucks build out of kits from the "Herpa teileservice" range. Still need to get my hands on a Märklin 4232 Liegewagen to complete the train.

Understand that a analog lok will not work on a digital MRR because there is no speed control (no variable voltage on the rails), but was led to believe a digital lok could drive on a delta track (minus the digitized functions of course) and a delta lok has no issues on a analog track
If that is the case, the delta lok, modified to digital should also still work on a delta track, right?

Why do this? I have the parts, i like to tinker, and hopefully the 5 pole motor performs a little better (smoother) on low speeds then the original 3 pole DCM motor

Best regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline TEEWolf  
#23 Posted : 13 July 2018 16:53:00(UTC)
TEEWolf

TEEWolf

My RoLa is not the set, but the separate 474x rail cars (7 of them) loaded with my own Herpa trucks build out of kits from the "Herpa teileservice" range. Still need to get my hands on a Märklin 4232 Liegewagen to complete the train.

Understand that a analog lok will not work on a digital MRR because there is no speed control (no variable voltage on the rails), but was led to believe a digital lok could drive on a delta track (minus the digitized functions of course) and a delta lok has no issues on a analog track
If that is the case, the delta lok, modified to digital should also still work on a delta track, right?

Why do this? I have the parts, i like to tinker, and hopefully the 5 pole motor performs a little better (smoother) on low speeds then the original 3 pole DCM motor

Best regards
Jean-Pierre

Hello Jean-Pierre,

wow I am astonished more and more what Märklin is doing! Obviously they have started translating more and more of their German Homepage into English.

https://www.maerklin.de/...istoric-digital-control/

https://www.maerklin.de/...ntrol/maerklin-decoders/

https://www.maerklin.de/...quently-asked-questions/

Especially these FAQs will answer you plenty of questions (including analogue against digital) and they are in English now. I do not know if you speak or understand German. Plenty of the Dutch people does. They understand it better as I understand the Dutch language, although I never learned it.

If you still have M-tracks you can use them also for digital trains and you can connect them with the actual Märklin C-, K-tracks. Märklin offers special connecting tracks therefore.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/24951/

Shortly: yes, the new decoders of the mSD/3 series achieve a running quality in all cases you never have seen before. I got the Insider 103 long #39170

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/39170/

from last years. The loco came with an mSD/3 decoder inside as the standard decoder. I never ever had such a smooth and fine running loco ever before. Only recommendable.

I am not alone. In a German community one member wrote, he has over 50 locos and now he started to replace them ALL with the new mSD/3 (= Märklin Sound Decoder 3. Generation – mSD decoders are still available, but they are not as good as the mSD/3) (mLD = Märklin Locomotive Decoder, is the same as a mSD but without sound.) because of its superb characteristics.

About your motor questions – give me some time, please. This is even a more complex capital for Märklin as the decoder ones. But I can send you also some links for information about the various motor at Märklin, from analogue and digital ones.

But the "music" comes from the decoders - always. Steered and controlled by and with the CVs.

Best regards

Wolfgang
Offline cintrans  
#24 Posted : 14 July 2018 01:42:40(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hi Wolfgang

Thanks for the info and links, the FAQ's are indeed useful, and yes good to see that Marklin has many of it pages translated into "real" English, the google translations from German into English are sometimes real funny!

I do understand some German, but i am not Dutch, so its not that natural to me.

I like to tinker, so i made up a conversion rail from M to C rail myself, using half a 5106 M rail and half a 24188 C rail grafted togheter, works perfect. Not terribly impressed with the quality of C rails, pins and small pieces breaking of and even cracking of the plastic seems to be a common issue with the older C rails....

On another note, found some Marklin 60652 Mobil station reasonably priced on line (about 30 euro), are these any good to start out with? An interface box and a transformer (of course) are additionally needed to get going, my delta transformer is OK for this?
Read on line that this controller can go kaput just like that, without a chance for repair.... any experience with that?

Saludos

Jean-Pierre
Offline Dave Banks  
#25 Posted : 14 July 2018 02:02:15(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Jean-Pierre, as I indicated in my first post the mobile station #60653 or better #60657 would probably be best. I have still got one #60652 that works. Like you said the first one died on me for no reason & was not worth the effort to get repaired. But please have a read of this previously discussed item on our forum:

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...-Station-60653-and-60657
D.A.Banks
Offline GlennM  
#26 Posted : 14 July 2018 14:18:26(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
TEEWolf

Best regards
Jean-Pierre

Here is another one on the layout itself which you may enjoy;

Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline TEEWolf  
#27 Posted : 15 July 2018 02:22:24(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi Wolfgang

Thanks for the info and links, the FAQ's are indeed useful, and yes good to see that Marklin has many of it pages translated into "real" English, the google translations from German into English are sometimes real funny!

I do understand some German, but i am not Dutch, so its not that natural to me.

I like to tinker, so i made up a conversion rail from M to C rail myself, using half a 5106 M rail and half a 24188 C rail grafted togheter, works perfect. Not terribly impressed with the quality of C rails, pins and small pieces breaking of and even cracking of the plastic seems to be a common issue with the older C rails....

On another note, found some Marklin 60652 Mobil station reasonably priced on line (about 30 euro), are these any good to start out with? An interface box and a transformer (of course) are additionally needed to get going, my delta transformer is OK for this?
Read on line that this controller can go kaput just like that, without a chance for repair.... any experience with that?

Saludos

Jean-Pierre

Hi Jean-Pierre,

indeed these old controllers are very cheap. If you bought one 20 years ago and you still use it, then it is still fine. But honestly I never would buy one of them today. It is waisting money, especially at the moment are dramatic changes with Märklin and its new controller the CS 3.

See at this hot topic at the moment about the software update 1.3.3 for a CS 3.

https://www.marklin-user...d-CS3-new-update-V-1-3-3

I only can recommend to you, buying a CS 3, especially you are living probabely not pretty close to a Märklin dealer. At the end of the day for software updates you always need a CS 3. Well a CS 2 does it too, but Märklin did a jump forward with the technology with the CS 3. E.g. the CS 3 comes first time with a 32 bit processor inside. All others still have the 8 bit one.

The minimum you should buy is a MS 2. @Davids propsal is not bad if you find a starter set which fits for you. In these starter set with a MS 2 (be aware there are cheaper ones with the IR module - forget about this.) and a mfx loco inside is not bad to buy, because they are complete, including a track box and a power supply, which you always need for a MS 2. For a CS 3 you need the power supply to buy extra.

How does your delta system still works? Can you use it for another year? I am not familiar with these digital techniques. When I started my MRR relaunch I started with a MS 2 into the digital era and I decided looking forward. So I also decided myself for the mfx and mfx+ technology. It makes digital life much easier as you think at the moment.

My proposal would be, think about buying a CS 3 next time you are in Germany. You get the VAT tax refund too, but you safe the shipping cost. Of course I wil help you finding a dealer with the best offer. At the moment I lookd up a dealer for a CS 3 60226 inclundig power supply and after tax refund will cost about 500 € here in Germany. YES a lot of money, so it is just an idea. I also looked up a complete set for a MS 2. One of my dealer offers a complete package for 90 € including track box and power supply.

http://joes-modellbahnla...15f08b03b/Products/60653

It is the grey version and except the colour is no difference to the new one 60657.

https://www.maerklin.de/...te/details/article/60657

I got 2 of them including a track box and power supply while I bought a starter set in 2013 (29040)

I am very satisfied by this equipment. Only the software update is not easy. This had to be done always via a CS. Last year I bought a CS 3+. On the CS 3 you also can use the MS 2 (and also a MS 1 you are thinking about), but you do not need the trackbox or digital connector box

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60116/

Finally it depends where do you want to go with your hobby MRR.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Offline cintrans  
#28 Posted : 15 July 2018 16:19:05(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hi Wolfgang

Thank you for all the great info.

The CS 3 is definitely nice, but not where i want to go for the time being, maby in the future...

The old analog lok's and delta's are running as good as can be expected from them, so for now i am pleased with that. If i can upgrade the delta lok with the 60760 kit, i could improve the slow speed performance (more smooth driving) i guess,
I could then install the left over delta decoder in one of the analog lok's to get rid of the mechanical reverse relay and so improve that lok a little bit... (as said before, i like to tinker...)
I then can still use the delta controller and switch to the blue transformer if i want to "play" with the older analog lok's

I agree on the IR module, not something i was considering....

Yes, the right starter set with a MS 2, or a loose MS 2 (with the needed box & supply) will be something i would consider if the right one comes along for my next MRR upgrade..... that's why i am asking all these questions!!

Sorry if i keep going back to the "old" stuff, but what about the 6021 / 6035 era digital controllers? I see those popping up also in 2e hand stores on the internet, are these any good? Any issues with these? I understand they are old technology and have limited capability's, but would they do there job reliable on a starters budget digital MRR? I read up on the 6021 manual, seems decent for a beginner...

We are indeed far away from any Marklin dealers here, closest is in the USA, but not attractive due to the high prices compared to Europe (shipping cost is only a little cheaper), European internet shops are therefore my source for Marklin "stuff", Euro rate and shipping is what makes it sometimes a costly endeavour... (our money is coupled to US$)

Saludos
Jean-Pierre
Offline David Dewar  
#29 Posted : 15 July 2018 21:23:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Just my view but I would not go backwards to the 6021 as after that you need other items to control turnouts etc. By the time you bought all the old stuff you would probably not be far off a starter set. In the long run a starter set will be cheaper than trying to collect other items which will not do all you want. A stand alone 6021 will not give you much operation of the layout or current Marklin locos.
As cost is your main concern ..as it is for most of us … I think it is better to buy the correct up to date items which will last years into the future.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kiwiAlan  
#30 Posted : 15 July 2018 23:01:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Just my view but I would not go backwards to the 6021 as after that you need other items to control turnouts etc. By the time you bought all the old stuff you would probably not be far off a starter set. In the long run a starter set will be cheaper than trying to collect other items which will not do all you want. A stand alone 6021 will not give you much operation of the layout or current Marklin locos.
As cost is your main concern ..as it is for most of us … I think it is better to buy the correct up to date items which will last years into the future.

I would agree with this assessment. The 6021 family of controllers and add-on items seem to be owned by people who are attempting to sell them at prices that are far too high for the age and technology of those items.

A much better idea is to get a modern start set that contains an ms2 controller. You will be happier all round with the result.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Rwill  
#31 Posted : 15 July 2018 23:23:02(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I know it was in the middle of a certain footie match but this afternoon I watched a brand new start set 29074 from a reputable source; lok, wagons, track and full MS2 kit sell on ebay auction for 169 Euros. Now I reckon that PJ Marklin must be on his travels as surely he would be here promoting the virtues of the 6021 et al kit but to me at that price its no competition surely.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline PJMärklin  
#32 Posted : 16 July 2018 13:59:03(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I know it was in the middle of a certain footie match but this afternoon I watched a brand new start set 29074 from a reputable source; lok, wagons, track and full MS2 kit sell on ebay auction for 169 Euros. Now I reckon that PJ Marklin must be on his travels as surely he would be here promoting the virtues of the 6021 et al kit but to me at that price its no competition surely.

How right you are ! : I am sitting in Singapore airport reading this thread, returning from some adventures - even a week in your city with train trips to southern England and then train to Manchester.

I expect I have bored enough folk by now, extolling the virtues of immediate access by a dedicated controller to each of 8 running trains with others to work the station lines, freight and steam service yards.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline dominator  
#33 Posted : 16 July 2018 23:02:52(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Jean-Pierre, I agree with what Wolfgang has said in his last post. I have about 6 old blue trannies, of which one powers all my points etc and one power the out circuit. I have 2 MS2's, and they work very well. They are able to control all my digital locos.

I started buying new digital locos about 19 years ago but never got a digital controller. I was able to buy a 29815 Delta set without the track for $550.00 about 4 years ago. I found out later the loco had an early full digital decoder in it. I then bought the first MS'2, and was able to run all my digital locos. They run very well. Great on slow speeds and all have acceleration and braking control. I even now hove one the smokes and talks.

You wont regret getting an MS'2

As know one has mentioned whether the conversion to full digital from delta will improve your loco's running on the analogue tranny, I guess its up to you now to let us know if it makes a difference. I do know that a delta loco runs just like an analogue loco whether you use an analogue tranny, a delta tranny or an MS'2.

Good luck and all the best.

Dereck
Offline TEEWolf  
#34 Posted : 19 July 2018 03:46:09(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi Wolfgang

Thank you for all the great info.

The CS 3 is definitely nice, but not where i want to go for the time being, maby in the future...

The old analog lok's and delta's are running as good as can be expected from them, so for now i am pleased with that. If i can upgrade the delta lok with the 60760 kit, i could improve the slow speed performance (more smooth driving) i guess,
I could then install the left over delta decoder in one of the analog lok's to get rid of the mechanical reverse relay and so improve that lok a little bit... (as said before, i like to tinker...)
I then can still use the delta controller and switch to the blue transformer if i want to "play" with the older analog lok's

I agree on the IR module, not something i was considering....

Yes, the right starter set with a MS 2, or a loose MS 2 (with the needed box & supply) will be something i would consider if the right one comes along for my next MRR upgrade..... that's why i am asking all these questions!!

Sorry if i keep going back to the "old" stuff, but what about the 6021 / 6035 era digital controllers? I see those popping up also in 2e hand stores on the internet, are these any good? Any issues with these? I understand they are old technology and have limited capability's, but would they do there job reliable on a starters budget digital MRR? I read up on the 6021 manual, seems decent for a beginner...

We are indeed far away from any Marklin dealers here, closest is in the USA, but not attractive due to the high prices compared to Europe (shipping cost is only a little cheaper), European internet shops are therefore my source for Marklin "stuff", Euro rate and shipping is what makes it sometimes a costly endeavour... (our money is coupled to US$)

Saludos
Jean-Pierre

Hello Jean-Piere,

good to read the support from other members suporting me to convince you to buy a new controller for the future. I looked for an offer in Germany and again I found one at Joes. A brandnew set MS 2 60557, digital connecting box 60116, power supply 66360 out of a starter set - all inclusive (except shipping costs) for 85 €. Not a bad price.

http://joes-modellbahnla...content=Mailing_12627873

Very important, wherever you buy a MS 2, assure you get a MS 2 with a loaded software version 2.7. This is the latest one.

Further you shall know this 60760 "c 90 Gauge H0 - Article No. 60760 Digital High Efficiency Propulsion Set"

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60760/

is a very economically priced possibility to achieve a better and smoth running. But it is not a sound decoder and it is a fx-decoder. A fx-decoder (or also named MM2 decoder - MM stands for MärklinMotorola) is still used by Märklin, especially in the cheaper starter sets, because his functions are limited. For myself the most important feature is the missing automatically registration of the loco at the controller. This does only a mfx decoder. Of course more expensive but a mSD/3 has an incredible smooth, fine running and sound which I never have seen and heard before. I just bought an mSD/3 to change my old E 03 from analogue to digital.

Here I get the necessary information, especially which motor I still have to buy.

http://www.maerklin-samm...omotiven/03053/03053.htm

Best regards

Wolfgang

Offline dominator  
#35 Posted : 19 July 2018 06:54:33(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hello Jean-Pierre,I took the plunge about 3 years ago and bought my first MS2 from Germany. It cost me 98 euro plus 40 euro freight.
I do also recommend you make sure it has version 2.7 on it or you will need to upgrade it via a CS2 or some other way I dont know about.

Dereck
Offline cintrans  
#36 Posted : 20 July 2018 02:02:46(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Wolfgang & Dereck

Thanks for the tips and links.

FB on the MS2, have being reading up on it, looks good, here and their i saw some issues reported on units failing, but overall it seems OK.
I saw them indeed on a couple of sites advertised for around 85 ~ 90 euro, so that is not to bad....

But as mentioned before, it will have to wait a little first....

I have another "new" (to me...) delta diesel loc coming i bought last week via the web. This one will be converted with the 60670 "digital high efficiency propulsion set" i have here.
I will do the tests before and after the conversion to see if (low speed) driving performance improves and if it is worth the trouble.... mind you, it will be tested on analog and delta track only for now.
Will report on it when finnished

Saludos

Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans
Offline cintrans  
#37 Posted : 29 July 2018 00:08:46(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
OK, for those interested.
Got my "new" delta lok yesterday and "played around" a bit with it last night and today.

Drove it out-off-the-box with the analog transformer first, drives real nice an smooth without any issues. Fairly nice low crawl also.
Switched to the delta controller secondly, gave the lok a delta address (moved the switches inside), and tried it out... to say the least i had expected more... max speed was lower, and crawling speed was not as smooth as with the analog transformer.

Today i switched the rotor from the 3 pole to the 5 pole out of the kit, leaving the field-coil and decoder as is, and with using the analog transformer i can confirm that the performance went down instead of up. Max speed is lower, and it takes a higher setting of the controller before the lok starts to crawl.
I did not try the lok like this in delta mode / with the delta controller, i figure it will be even worse...

Next up i want to do the complete conversion, decoder and all.....

Question: would the loc still run "normal" in analog mode then??

Saludos
Jean-Pierre
Offline RayF  
#38 Posted : 29 July 2018 13:04:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
OK, for those interested.
Got my "new" delta lok yesterday and "played around" a bit with it last night and today.

Drove it out-off-the-box with the analog transformer first, drives real nice an smooth without any issues. Fairly nice low crawl also.
Switched to the delta controller secondly, gave the lok a delta address (moved the switches inside), and tried it out... to say the least i had expected more... max speed was lower, and crawling speed was not as smooth as with the analog transformer.

Today i switched the rotor from the 3 pole to the 5 pole out of the kit, leaving the field-coil and decoder as is, and with using the analog transformer i can confirm that the performance went down instead of up. Max speed is lower, and it takes a higher setting of the controller before the lok starts to crawl.
I did not try the lok like this in delta mode / with the delta controller, i figure it will be even worse...

Next up i want to do the complete conversion, decoder and all.....

Question: would the loc still run "normal" in analog mode then??

Saludos
Jean-Pierre

Switching just the "rotor" or armature will give a very inefficient motor, so I don't doubt that the performance dropped when you did this!

When you complete the conversion with the 5 pole motor and a good decoder you will see a much bigger difference. On speed step one the loco will move at slower than walking speed, there will be programmable acceleration and braking delay, the speed will remain constant through curves and on gradients, and the maximum speed can be adjusted to be realistic for the loco.

The loco will still run in analogue mode. I don't know what you expect as "normal", but the slow running and other features like acceleration and braking delay will also be there in analogue operation.

You should be able to run the loco digitally with the delta controller, but depending on the decoder you may need someone to programme the address for you.
Ray
Offline cintrans  
#39 Posted : 29 July 2018 17:40:49(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hello Ray

Tnx for your comments.

I wanted to at least try it out, besides the tinkering time, nothing else to loose!!

With "normal" i mean the way the loco came out of the box originally.
With the complete conversion done, it should at least drive (in analog mode) as good as it drove without the conversion.....

For now, the decoder will be the basic one from the kit (# 60760), the pre-programmed address is delta address # 78, so i should be OK there.

Two things i am still trying to figure out on how to wire up the new decoder:
- how to keep the automatic front / back light switch over (clear and red lights). The loco has a small extra circuit board inside next to the original delta decoder that regulates this.
- How to keep those same lights on in "delta mode" when not driving.

Best regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline RayF  
#40 Posted : 29 July 2018 17:47:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You should be able to connect the lighting circuits on the 60760 decoder to the same points on the extra circuit board that the delta decoder was connected to.

"Delta mode" is really digital mode, so the 60760 decoder will respond to instructions from the delta controller in the same way as to a more up to date controller. Does the Delta controller you use have a separate button for switching the lights on and off? If it does then the lights will respond to this whether the loco is moving or not.
Ray
Offline dsbtog  
#41 Posted : 05 May 2019 08:54:15(UTC)
dsbtog

United States   
Hey everyone,

So, whatever happened to Jean-Pierre and his return to the hobby?

I read many of the initial posts, and skimmed the rest, but it looks like he initially wanted to remain with the old analog trains, upgrade them to digital, and stay with the Delta transformer.

It also looks like everyone eventually convinced him to at least go to a mobile station on CS2...

Here is the path I have taken:
I got my first Marklin train set the Christmas after I turned 3 in November - that would have been 1967. I still have the original lok and 3 cars.

In the 80's I had over time expanded, and had set up a fine looking layout in my parents' dining room - 3 elevations high - on perhaps a 5ft x 9ft area. I lost interest when I discovered girls - but came back briefly in the late 90s, early 00s, expanding my rolling stock collection, and pinpointing my direction etc,, to be Denmark, Era IV (with ery late III and very early V), rolling DSB stock - because those were the trains I rode as a kid and teen.

Again, life got in the way, and now, starting about 2017, I have been expanding my collection again, having now discovered DIGITAL!!!!!

I am working on upgrading all my old rolling stock to Digital, with the high-efficiency motor, having amassed nearly every part of the MM Digital system components, including the 2nd gen MM, like Control 80f - I got the keyboard, memory, control station, central control, central station, 2 6001 transformers, one running a booster for the k83 switch decoders - and I am having a blast!

Yes, upgrading old locos is a lot of work, but for about $40 - $45 each, it is very cost efficient in place of a brand new digital - and if I do a LokSound, it's still less than $150 including the HE propulsion, plus the enjoyment of the accomplishment.

I am still running M-track - and I need to get some older Lima DSB Litra MZ engines converted from DC to AC Digital. Also bought a couple of very new Roco DSB engines in DC - MISTAKE!!!!! While the old Lima ones are fairly uncomplicated and relatively inexpensive to convert - not so with Roco, especially for the DSB Litra Ma 461 Platinum Edition "Lyntog" - which requires nearly EUR 300 in replacement parts for the DC to AC conversion. I had purchased 2 already when I discovered this, and am now selling one to cover the cost to convert the other - and have purchased one in AC with LokSound, so I will have a nice set of Ma 461 and Ma 463.

Now - to my point: I am drooling over the Mobile Station - but I had already purchased much of the MM CS1 before I knew it had aged out - and I am finding that there is at least ONE thing the CS2 and CS3 can't do: Route memory, setting several turnouts at the touch of just 1 button on the Memory. I have decided to remain with the MM system (for now), and learn little by little. This system can do what I was trying to solve in 1984 in my parents place, and I am upgrading my older locomotives, but have finally concluded that, when buying new, unless there is a specific engine number that is not made in Digital, always buy (used) digital engines instead of buying an old analog to convert.

I'd be interested in Jean-Pierre's progress in the Dutch Antilles.

Cheers everyone!

Michael.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dsbtog
Offline cintrans  
#42 Posted : 25 August 2019 02:19:31(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Originally Posted by: dsbtog Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone,

I read many of the initial posts, and skimmed the rest, but it looks like he initially wanted to remain with the old analog trains, upgrade them to digital, and stay with the Delta transformer.

It also looks like everyone eventually convinced him to at least go to a mobile station on CS2...

I got my first Marklin train set the Christmas after I turned 3 in November - that would have been 1967. I still have the original lok and 3 cars.

In the 80's I had over time expanded, and had set up a fine looking layout in my parents' dining room - 3 elevations high - on perhaps a 5ft x 9ft area. I lost interest when I discovered girls - but came back briefly in the late 90s, early 00s, expanding my rolling stock collection, and pinpointing my direction etc,, to be Denmark, Era IV (with ery late III and very early V), rolling DSB stock - because those were the trains I rode as a kid and teen.

Again, life got in the way, and now, starting about 2017, I have been expanding my collection again, having now discovered DIGITAL!!!!!

I am working on upgrading all my old rolling stock to Digital, with the high-efficiency motor, having amassed nearly every part of the MM Digital system components, including the 2nd gen MM, like Control 80f - I got the keyboard, memory, control station, central control, central station, 2 6001 transformers, one running a booster for the k83 switch decoders - and I am having a blast!

Yes, upgrading old locos is a lot of work, but for about $40 - $45 each, it is very cost efficient in place of a brand new digital - and if I do a LokSound, it's still less than $150 including the HE propulsion, plus the enjoyment of the accomplishment.

I am still running M-track - and I need to get some older Lima DSB Litra MZ engines converted from DC to AC Digital. Also bought a couple of very new Roco DSB engines in DC - MISTAKE!!!!! While the old Lima ones are fairly uncomplicated and relatively inexpensive to convert - not so with Roco, especially for the DSB Litra Ma 461 Platinum Edition "Lyntog" - which requires nearly EUR 300 in replacement parts for the DC to AC conversion. I had purchased 2 already when I discovered this, and am now selling one to cover the cost to convert the other - and have purchased one in AC with LokSound, so I will have a nice set of Ma 461 and Ma 463.

Now - to my point: I am drooling over the Mobile Station - but I had already purchased much of the MM CS1 before I knew it had aged out - and I am finding that there is at least ONE thing the CS2 and CS3 can't do: Route memory, setting several turnouts at the touch of just 1 button on the Memory. I have decided to remain with the MM system (for now), and learn little by little. This system can do what I was trying to solve in 1984 in my parents place, and I am upgrading my older locomotives, but have finally concluded that, when buying new, unless there is a specific engine number that is not made in Digital, always buy (used) digital engines instead of buying an old analog to convert.

Cheers everyone!

Michael.

Hi Michael

Well, i guess that is the "problem" with life... it gets it the way of our hobby's quite often!!

That being said, we continue on the path we started when we got back in the hobby last year, and although i still have those couple of old analog loks, all others now are Delta (the simple digital) loks.
I have converted a Marklin #3430 SBB CFF E-loc with the #60760 conversion kit, witch works very nice! Changed the light bulbs with SMD LED's in the process also.

Bought (among other train goodies) a "nicer" #3460 Swiss lok and a ICE2 set (...the Delta version...) when on vacation in Europe. The #3460 will also be upgraded with a #60760 kit, as will the ICE2 in a later stage. I understand that the ICE2 will be more tricky to modify because of the powered end car....? Have to do some reading up on that one first...

Although not Marklin, i also bought a nice PIKO-for Marklin Taurus lok with the yellow / silver "Kombi Verkehr" livery for my Rolling Landstrasse. Lok is digital (simple decoder) and drives fairly nice....

Also upgraded from the M-rails to the C-rails by now because, obviously, they are a lot nicer and more efficient to work with. I did not stay with the Delta controller, but upgraded instead to digital with a time-proven and bullet proof 6021 with the 6040 keyboard and matching transformer that i was able to buy on one of the 2e hand websites in Europe...
I know its outdated compared to the mobile stations and central stations, but it does do what i want it to do, and if ever sometimes goes wrong with it, i probably could fix it myself.....

Well, that's what we did so far! Still tinkering around with our re-discovered hobby!

Regards from Aruba
Jean-Pierre
Offline TEEWolf  
#43 Posted : 25 August 2019 18:14:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dsbtog Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone,

Cheers everyone!

Michael.

Hi Michael

Well, i guess that is the "problem" with life... it gets it the way of our hobby's quite often!!

That being said, we continue on the path we started when we got back in the hobby last year, and although i still have those couple of old analog loks, all others now are Delta (the simple digital) loks.
I have converted a Marklin #3430 SBB CFF E-loc with the #60760 conversion kit, witch works very nice! Changed the light bulbs with SMD LED's in the process also.

Bought (among other train goodies) a "nicer" #3460 Swiss lok and a ICE2 set (...the Delta version...) when on vacation in Europe. The #3460 will also be upgraded with a #60760 kit, as will the ICE2 in a later stage. I understand that the ICE2 will be more tricky to modify because of the powered end car....? Have to do some reading up on that one first...

Although not Marklin, i also bought a nice PIKO-for Marklin Taurus lok with the yellow / silver "Kombi Verkehr" livery for my Rolling Landstrasse. Lok is digital (simple decoder) and drives fairly nice....

Also upgraded from the M-rails to the C-rails by now because, obviously, they are a lot nicer and more efficient to work with. I did not stay with the Delta controller, but upgraded instead to digital with a time-proven and bullet proof 6021 with the 6040 keyboard and matching transformer that i was able to buy on one of the 2e hand websites in Europe...
I know its outdated compared to the mobile stations and central stations, but it does do what i want it to do, and if ever sometimes goes wrong with it, i probably could fix it myself.....

Well, that's what we did so far! Still tinkering around with our re-discovered hobby!

Regards from Aruba
Jean-Pierre

Arriba Aruba!BigGrin

Good to read your magnificent progress.

C-track is gorgeous. I use it myself.
Please be aware buying used c-track rails - especially before 2010 - they can brittle sometimes. Märklin has still an exchange programm for such broken or brittled tracks, although the main fault happened before the insolvency and therefore before the new owners..