Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiAlan  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2017 10:58:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Perports to be a track level video of the hans Pieter Porsche layout. Haven't had a chance to look at it myself yet, so don't know what the quality and content is like. Around 25 minutes long, if you have some spare time ...

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Johnvr  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2017 12:54:22(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

This is wonderful to watch !
It is very relaxing to sit back and enjoy the cabride.

The creators have done a fantastic job to make these scenes of bridges and tunnels, with scenery and mountains very impressive all over. Certainly a huge amount of planning and detail went into this construction. Lovely long sweeping curves and passing tracks all over. Must be exciting to do the scheduling of the trains.

Two small observations :

1) I don't have K-track, but sometimes it seems as if there is a kink in the track on the curves, where one flexi-track joins another. I suppose this is how it is with K-track.

2) As an interested "Signal" person, I would have liked to see signals and trains working together. There were a number of "Red" signals which the train driver ignored and continued on his way (see attached images as example) ! So the signals are there for show only and are not functional, which is a pity.Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

Apart from these small observations, it is a very grand layout and highly desirable on the "must-visit" list if ever in that part of Germany.

Regards,
JohnBigGrin
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2017 13:20:08(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

The creators have done a fantastic job to make these scenes of bridges and tunnels, with scenery and mountains very impressive all over. Certainly a huge amount of planning and detail went into this construction. Lovely long sweeping curves and passing tracks all over. Must be exciting to do the scheduling of the trains.

Two small observations :

1) I don't have K-track, but sometimes it seems as if there is a kink in the track on the curves, where one flexi-track joins another. I suppose this is how it is with K-track.

2) As an interested "Signal" person, I would have liked to see signals and trains working together. There were a number of "Red" signals which the train driver ignored and continued on his way (see attached images as example) ! So the signals are there for show only and are not functional, which is a pity.

Apart from these small observations, it is a very grand layout and highly desirable on the "must-visit" list if ever in that part of Germany.

Regards,
JohnBigGrin

Hi John. We agree 150% about the signals. There's nothing more Un-profi to me than a train roaring thru a red light! Well, the driver should be fired

immediately! I never noticed that about the K-track. Quite true. I'll have to put this place, I believe it's near Munich?, on my list for visiting too. Thanks, Peter.Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2017 14:12:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
. I'll have to put this place, I believe it's near Munich?, on my list for visiting too. Thanks, Peter.Cool

It is nearer salzburg than Munich, I think you'll find. It is only just on the German side of the german/austrian border.

There have been other threads here from people who have visited and describe how to get there, but I couldn't find them, so I ended up making a new thread seeing I couldn't find a thread to attach it to.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2017 14:17:29(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
People in Porsches don't worry about red lights do they?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2017 14:45:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

Laugh Laugh Laugh ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp Woot Woot Woot RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes Blushing

Well, it certainly seemed to pass an awful lot of them ...

Looks like it was filmed on a maintenance day, no people around except for a couple of staff members.

I saw a couple of discontinuities in the track alignment also. There also seemed to be a train that came uncoupled, there was a piece of track that the camera train had traversed, then coming back there was a br216 with a couple of container wagons stopped in the middle of nowhere, then further back (at about the 20 minute mark) there was 3 container wagons with no loco on the mainline ...Blink Blink Blink

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Robert Davies  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2017 19:58:07(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Maybe my 28 years working on the 'real' railway has made me jaundiced and picky and I am sure that when, and if, I ever get my Marklin railway fully up and working, the technicalities will be perfect and the scenery will be rubbish. This railway is the opposite - the scenery is wonderful and the scale is unimaginable to the average modeller but the technicalities, from my point of view, let it down.

Seeing it almost from track level is very challenging and any layout will show some deficiencies when taken from that angle, never mind one on this scale. Also, I doubt that the average visitor to this venue will notice anything that I and the other contributors have had reason to comment on but here are the observations of this 67-year old 'grumpy old man'.

Like some other commentators, I am into signalling. From what I could see some effort has been made to put signals in the right place, it is just a pity that so few were doing anything but showing red and the few that were in the clear position were mostly showing the wrong clear aspect! Also what happened to the Vorsignalen (distant signals)? I saw one in each direction for the whole 25 minutes and yet no real railway could possibly operate without them.

There were several instances where the train had to push points over because they were set in the wrong position. While this may be deliberate to save a point motor on a set of points that will never be approached in the 'splitting' direction it doesn't look very professional and could be a derailment risk.

Generally speaking, it looks as if the signalling, comprehensive as it is, is just left with signals in a random mixture of stop and go positions with no relationship to how the trains are actually operating.

I too noticed the rather abrupt transitions between sections of track but strangely the train did not jolt too badly when it encountered one. There was far more wobbling about when the loco's pantograph (I assume) became snagged on the overhead wires (although it might have been the camera that was 'out of gauge').

There was a mixture of Viessmann/new Marklin and Sommerfeldt overhead wires and masts. While each has its plus and minus points and neither looks truly prototypical because you just can't scale it down by a factor of 1:87 and expect it to have any strength, my view is that overall the Viessmann/Marklin looks better because I don't like the soldering that goes with Sommerfeldt. However that it purely a personal opinion. More importantly in the context of this critique, is that the person responsible for providing the wiring should have gone on course Overhead System Design 101 because there was so much where a fundamental lack of understanding of how it works in the real world was apparent.

There seems to be a common view that masts are always placed the same distance apart. This gives difficulties, particularly on curves, and there were dozens of places on the layout where the overhead wire took a graceful curve to follow the track. This is of course impossible in reality where the wire is under a tension of several tons - it always goes in a straight line and registration arms and pull-off's are placed to keep the wire in the correct place above the track. This means that where there are curves the spacing of the masts is always shorter than on straight track. Both Viessmann and Sommerfeld have all the accessories to allow this to be modelled correctly so it is not a case of having no choice as with the old Marklin kit. And as for section overlaps (where one run of overhead wire meets the next), some inconsistent attempts had been made to model these but they were all the wrong way round.

OK - End of rant!! Let me finish by saying that if my railway looks half as good as this I shall be well pleased. It is just that I feel that someone with so much money and resources at his disposal could have done better.

Just my opinion!!
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2017 21:27:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

only for those driving on the wrong side of the road.Huh Laugh LOL
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2017 21:42:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Here's an article I published in our Club magazine, which was written by one of our members who visited 'TraumWerk' (as the layout is known).

TraumWerk.pdf (1,822kb) downloaded 66 time(s).
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2017 22:03:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I didn't notice any other trains on the track, but I did notice that all signals were set to red. I wonder if the layout was being run without computer control with no others trains on the track so that the camera train could get around the layout without having to stop.
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2017 23:12:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Two small observations :

2) As an interested "Signal" person, I would have liked to see signals and trains working together. There were a number of "Red" signals which the train driver ignored and continued on his way (see attached images as example) ! So the signals are there for show only and are not functional, which is a pity.

Regards,
JohnBigGrin

Have mercy with the technicians, please.Wink While I visited HP Traumwerk in January, 2nd 2017, they were searching a new technician with special knowledges for a digital model railroad layout and its controlling. Just for fun, I asked, if I should apply for this job. They answered me that they really have a severe problem. They employed already several technicians for this job. But after a short time they all quit. The digital control of the layout were to complicate to them. I understand it and I think this red signal problem is not really their major problem, as long as there are no crashes. Of course it is not align with the real life, but it is a MRR.Smile And Perhaps till your visit, they solved the problem.

The complete layout was designed and built by BRIMA.

Brima general:
http://www.modellanlagenbau.de/

Taumwerk layout
http://www.modellanlagenbau.de/anlage-287/

pictures of the weekly report, while the layout was under construction
http://www.modellanlagen...287-wochenberichte-2013/

I had a chance to talk with Brima at the IMA days 2015 in Goeppingen, where they had a large fair stand. They told me, that for the Traumwerk they only used K-tracks from Maerklin with special cork forms. There at the moment I use C- and M-tracks, it was not my top priority to get detailed information about this cork construction. But they also will do constructions in C-tracks, if somebody prefers them.

Perhaps the pictures may help you for K-tracks constructions. Please be aware that behind each “weekly picture report” you find many more pictures about the construction.

Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2017 23:58:53(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post
Maybe my 28 years working on the 'real' railway has made me jaundiced and picky and I am sure that when, and if, I ever get my Marklin railway fully up and working, the technicalities will be perfect and the scenery will be rubbish. This railway is the opposite - the scenery is wonderful and the scale is unimaginable to the average modeller but the technicalities, from my point of view, let it down.

Seeing it almost from track level is very challenging and any layout will show some deficiencies when taken from that angle, never mind one on this scale. Also, I doubt that the average visitor to this venue will notice anything that I and the other contributors have had reason to comment on but here are the observations of this 67-year old 'grumpy old man'.

Like some other commentators, I am into signalling. From what I could see some effort has been made to put signals in the right place, it is just a pity that so few were doing anything but showing red and the few that were in the clear position were mostly showing the wrong clear aspect! Also what happened to the Vorsignalen (distant signals)? I saw one in each direction for the whole 25 minutes and yet no real railway could possibly operate without them.

There were several instances where the train had to push points over because they were set in the wrong position. While this may be deliberate to save a point motor on a set of points that will never be approached in the 'splitting' direction it doesn't look very professional and could be a derailment risk.

Generally speaking, it looks as if the signalling, comprehensive as it is, is just left with signals in a random mixture of stop and go positions with no relationship to how the trains are actually operating.

I too noticed the rather abrupt transitions between sections of track but strangely the train did not jolt too badly when it encountered one. There was far more wobbling about when the loco's pantograph (I assume) became snagged on the overhead wires (although it might have been the camera that was 'out of gauge').

There was a mixture of Viessmann/new Marklin and Sommerfeldt overhead wires and masts. While each has its plus and minus points and neither looks truly prototypical because you just can't scale it down by a factor of 1:87 and expect it to have any strength, my view is that overall the Viessmann/Marklin looks better because I don't like the soldering that goes with Sommerfeldt. However that it purely a personal opinion. More importantly in the context of this critique, is that the person responsible for providing the wiring should have gone on course Overhead System Design 101 because there was so much where a fundamental lack of understanding of how it works in the real world was apparent.

There seems to be a common view that masts are always placed the same distance apart. This gives difficulties, particularly on curves, and there were dozens of places on the layout where the overhead wire took a graceful curve to follow the track. This is of course impossible in reality where the wire is under a tension of several tons - it always goes in a straight line and registration arms and pull-off's are placed to keep the wire in the correct place above the track. This means that where there are curves the spacing of the masts is always shorter than on straight track. Both Viessmann and Sommerfeld have all the accessories to allow this to be modelled correctly so it is not a case of having no choice as with the old Marklin kit. And as for section overlaps (where one run of overhead wire meets the next), some inconsistent attempts had been made to model these but they were all the wrong way round.

OK - End of rant!! Let me finish by saying that if my railway looks half as good as this I shall be well pleased. It is just that I feel that someone with so much money and resources at his disposal could have done better.

Just my opinion!!

Robert, the complete layout was planned, constructed, built up by BRIMA and only paid by Hans-Peter Porsche. BigGrin For a link to Brima see post #11 of this topic, please.

A few weeks before I visited the Traumwerk, I visited the Minatur Wunderland (MiWuLa) in Hamburg. There I really got the impression, when they started round about 15 years ago they built a model railroad with a landscape. Today they modelling a landscape with also a railroad inside.Wink

Yesterday I bought the new Maerklin Magazine No 1/2017. Inside they started with a new series “all about signals”. The series shall last all over 2017, so another 5 articles will follow. It is all about the Maerklin signals and it must be a lot. Because they are starting with an overview and ends up with general questions over six magazines.Huh

But these signals are not the future. In real life the future has already started. In Europe it is the ETCS system. A train guiding system without any signals, only built up by computers.
Read more about the system here:
https://en.wikipedia.org...ean_Train_Control_System

I am looking forward, when and which of the MRR manufacturers will be the first one offering such a system for a MRR. Honestly, I saw a patent description, hold by Maerklin, where I think they develop an ETCS system for a MRR already and the digital system does allow it and it gives us model railroader new chance for building and playing.

But the English have a good proverb: Don't worry, be happy. Love

Regards

TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 04 February 2017 00:09:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
. I'll have to put this place, I believe it's near Munich?, on my list for visiting too. Thanks, Peter.Cool

It is nearer salzburg than Munich, I think you'll find. It is only just on the German side of the german/austrian border.

There have been other threads here from people who have visited and describe how to get there, but I couldn't find them, so I ended up making a new thread seeing I couldn't find a thread to attach it to.

Indeed, from the central station Salzburg/Austria to the Traumwerk by car it is 20 kilometers. From the central station in Munich to the Traumwerk by car it is 130 kilometers.

But here you find a description, how to get there by train.

Hans-Peter Porsche Traumwerk by train
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2017 00:33:16(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I didn't notice any other trains on the track, but I did notice that all signals were set to red. I wonder if the layout was being run without computer control with no others trains on the track so that the camera train could get around the layout without having to stop.

BD you got eyes like an eagle. BigGrin

While I visited HP Traumerk, I also would have been happy to see a few more trains. Also the duration between day and night was for the night to long. The layout has not yet enough illumination for a long night. They try to overact it at the moment producing always a thunder and lightning at night by an special artificial illumination of the mountains. But there the main light lines goes in a horizontal line over the rocks instead in a vertical one as in real life Crying (in my opinion stones are rolling down the hill, not transversely to the mountain) it does not really look very natural. Huh Give them time for improvements Blink and meanwhile we enjoy a race or two with Porsche race cars on the free Carrera race circuit Love (built up in the museum - named "figure of eight").
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline GlennM  
#15 Posted : 05 February 2017 17:00:26(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
As I understand it, very late in the build HPP took the decision to change the digital control system that controls the layout, and this has lead to a lot of problems with the layout.

For me the layout is well worth the visit and is excellent, not perfect, but then name a layout which is....................

And now another shameless plug LOL LOL LOL of my video of this great layout for those who have not seen it

Don't look back, your not heading that way.