Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marktrain  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2014 23:42:47(UTC)
marktrain

United States   
I purchased a Marklin 60943 to convert the motor in my electric Marklin #3000 (E6302)
The direction enclosed shows the mechanical replacement, but does not show the rewiring.
Can anyone help?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2014 00:15:57(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Which decoder will you use? Wiring instructions come with the decoder. The 60943 motor is not for use with a mechanical reverse unit.

The E 63 02 is not #3000, there must be some error.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline marktrain  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2014 04:53:06(UTC)
marktrain

United States   
I have five electric engines: 1) CE800, E6302 on body (Marklin #3002.1); 2) E6302 on body (Marklin #3001.6); 3,4,5) CE800, E6302 on body (Marklin #3001.1).
I will put 60943 in each. What decoder do you suggest for this set? Is there a set that combines the decoder and the 60943?
Thank you
David G Strachan
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2014 08:17:57(UTC)
H0

Hi, David,

Welcome to the forum (BTW).

There are three motors (60941, 60943, 60944), depending on the loco. There are decoders without sound (60942, 60962) and decoders with sound. To cover all combinations, they would need dozens of sets.

Decoders are also available from other companies (I prefer ESU, but Zimo also have a good reputation).

Decoders (may) need a digital controller to configure them (one-time setup). Do you have one? Which?

Do you want to run your trains on a digital layout or will you continue running in analogue mode?

You ask about motor conversion, but don't write about your plans and intentions. Advice will be better if we know more.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2014 14:27:19(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: marktrain Go to Quoted Post
I have five electric engines: 1) CE800, E6302 on body (Marklin #3002.1); 2) E6302 on body (Marklin #3001.6); 3,4,5) CE800, E6302 on body (Marklin #3001.1).
I will put 60943 in each. What decoder do you suggest for this set? Is there a set that combines the decoder and the 60943?
Thank you
David G Strachan

Sounds like you are upgrading to the 5* HEP motors.

I would use ESU 64610. The lokos have a small amount of room (so no 21 pin with adapter board, my prefered install where room permits) and an MFX compatible since it's a Marklin loko so compatibility with Marklin's proprietary format would be good. With the ESU you can install their 54670 power pack. Since you have only three axles, ground connection to the rails will be iffy, especially across turnouts and crossings. The power pack will power the loko through those without stalling. No other maker, to the best of my knowledge, offers this feature.

Welcome!
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2014 17:58:08(UTC)
H0

The 21 pin adapter board should fit (almost) all locos that have a mechanical reverse unit.

I installed 8 pin adapter in several locos in the past and a few 21 pin adapters recently - and now I prefer 21 pin for small locos.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2014 20:15:44(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The 21 pin adapter board should fit (almost) all locos that have a mechanical reverse unit.

Yes, unless you want (and you will, sooner or later) that 54670 power pack in that little loko. Just trying to prevent a second digital conversion when he figures out the power pack is not just desirable, but required on these lokos with so few wheels.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline marktrain  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2014 20:19:29(UTC)
marktrain

United States   
I have the 60760 motor converter and decoder package. The motor fits just fine in the 3001 (except the bottom screw rubs against the middle wheel - I guess there is a substitute screw recommended). Included in the package are two "resistor" looking pieces. Are they really chokes as referred to in the directions, or for some other purpose. There was one choke on the original motor, not two. The capacitors (referred to as condensers) are not used in the new installation. Also, I have the old light bulbs (grounded to body). The directions suggest replacing with LEDS and plug in sockets. Where can I obtain such items?
David Strachan
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2014 20:52:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post

Yes, unless you want (and you will, sooner or later) that 54670 power pack in that little loko. Just trying to prevent a second digital conversion when he figures out the power pack is not just desirable, but required on these lokos with so few wheels.

Hi Matt,

I have dozens of locos of 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 wheels configuration which have no problems with current collection on clean C track. Most of them even manage quite dirty track too. I dispute your statement that the power pack is required.

The exceptions to this are a couple of conversions for which I used Lokpilot V2 decoders. The se two locos are pretty awful on dirty track. One day I'll replace these with more modern decoders.

Two of my locos, the E69 steeple cab electric, and the Kittel railcar, which are 4-wheel vehicles, are almost immune to dirty track, and run smoothly and consistently over the whole of my layout, including turnouts (curved, straight and 3-way), crossings, double slips, and uncoupling tracks.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2014 21:03:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have the 60760 motor converter and decoder package. The motor fits just fine in the 3001 (except the bottom screw rubs against the middle wheel - I guess there is a substitute screw recommended). Included in the package are two "resistor" looking pieces. Are they really chokes as referred to in the directions, or for some other purpose. There was one choke on the original motor, not two. The capacitors (referred to as condensers) are not used in the new installation. Also, I have the old light bulbs (grounded to body). The directions suggest replacing with LEDS and plug in sockets. Where can I obtain such items?
David Strachan

Hi David,

Did your 3001 have a DCM motor? The 60760 is only intended to be used in DCMs, but it's possible it might fit in a SFCM motor, which is what my 3001 is fitted with.

The resistor-like components are indeed chokes, and there should be one on each motor terminal, in series with the wires from the decoder.

On conversions like this I usually don't bother to replace the light bulbs. Just feed them with the grey and yellow wires from the decoder and let the chassis serve as ground. The lights will flicker slightly. If you don't want the flicker then you can get mounting kits from Marklin to mount eithr small bi-pin bulbs or LED equivalents. You'll need to troll through the Marklin website to find the part numbers

Hope this helps
Ray
Offline biedmatt  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2014 21:17:19(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Hi Matt,

I have dozens of locos of 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 wheels configuration which have no problems with current collection on clean C track. Most of them even manage quite dirty track too. I dispute your statement that the power pack is required.

My track is M. The rails are half plastic where the two tracks cross so the slider will not short to the rail. At crossings they are also plastic to isolate a rail short to the third rail as the slider crosses. So only three wheels are on a metal track, one of those will have a rubber tire and it's likely since the wheels are not suspended that one of those other two will be supported above the track not making contact.

https://az95169.vo.msecn...signment/large/L5138.jpg

In the picture you will see half the track (from switch, up to and including the frog) is plastic.
Matt
Era 3
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 09 January 2014 21:39:10(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Hi Matt,

My track is M. The rails are half plastic where the two tracks cross so the slider will not short to the rail. At crossings they are also plastic to isolate a rail short to the third rail as the slider crosses. So only three wheels are on a metal track, one of those will have a rubber tire and it's likely since the wheels are not suspended that one of those other two will be supported above the track not making contact.

https://az95169.vo.msecn...signment/large/L5138.jpg

In the picture you will see half the track (from switch, up to and including the frog) is plastic.

Ah, yes, M track. This was one of the reasons I changed my layout to C track.

Actually the locos that gave me most problems were those with eight coupled wheel configuration. like the Br81 and the Br86. There was one particular turnout which would always cause these two locos to hiccup. This was a problem that even reared its head in analogue operation, but in analogue you tend to run the locos much faster and they always coasted over the "dodgy" turnouts. When I discovered the joys of slow running in digital I got fed up of having to nudge the locos over some of the turnouts and swapped to C track. I haven't had the same problem since.
Ray
Offline biedmatt  
#13 Posted : 09 January 2014 21:51:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
My next track will be K. This layout dates to 1971. There's a lot of M out there.

Today is the first we hear he has a Marklin decoder with his HEP motor kit. The 60943 motor kit is what he mentions in post 1. Now we learn he has 60760 with the decoder.
Matt
Era 3
Offline marktrain  
#14 Posted : 09 January 2014 22:26:43(UTC)
marktrain

United States   
I intend to use the 60760 on this conversion (3001). It seems to have both parts necessary to convert to a digital locomotive. I have a couple of 60943's as well, but they only convert the engine. Any suggestions for replacing the small screw on the bottom of the motor cover? It touches the middle wheel, and prevents it from turning when the screw is tightened down.
Thanks for all your help
David Strachan
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 09 January 2014 22:43:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
David,

You can use the Motor parts from the 60943 set and the decoder from the 60760. This should work OK, and eliminate the problem of having screws of the wrong length.
Ray
Offline marktrain  
#16 Posted : 09 January 2014 23:00:44(UTC)
marktrain

United States   
Tanks
David
Offline franciscohg  
#17 Posted : 10 January 2014 01:41:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Yes, 60760 motor parts are for no absolutely use other than DCM motors
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Makistrain  
#18 Posted : 18 January 2014 18:49:41(UTC)
Makistrain

United States   
Greetings!
I had hoped to convert my locomotive 3093 to a 5-pole motor as an interim step to digital.
I purchased a 60944 5-pole motor kit to do so.
In attempting to install, there were no leads to connect to the current reversing unit, and an absolute dearth of instructions.
It looks like I cannot do this conversion with the current reversing unit.
Is this true?
If so, what decoder might be compatible so that I could have the option of running the locomotive in analog
until such time I commit to the digital controller etc.
As always, many thanks for any reply.
Makis
Offline foumaro  
#19 Posted : 18 January 2014 19:20:05(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Makis seems to me a little Greek?
Offline RayF  
#20 Posted : 18 January 2014 19:25:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Makistrain Go to Quoted Post
Greetings!
I had hoped to convert my locomotive 3093 to a 5-pole motor as an interim step to digital.
In attempting to install, there were no leads to connect to the current reversing unit, and an absolute dearth of instructions.
Is this true?
If so, what decoder might be compatible so that I could have the option of running the locomotive in analog
Makis

Hi Makis,

I'm afraid you are labouring under a misconception. The 5 pole motor kits are designed for use with digital decoders, and won't work with the analogue reversing unit. Replace the reversing unit with a decoder such as the marklin msd 60942. This will still allow you to run the locomotive in analogue mode until you are ready to convert to a digital controller.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline cookee_nz  
#21 Posted : 19 January 2014 00:21:54(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi!

Which decoder will you use? Wiring instructions come with the decoder. The 60943 motor is not for use with a mechanical reverse unit.

The E 63 02 is not #3000, there must be some error.

Actually, some of the early 3001/3002 were actually numbered with "3000" on the cab, he may have one of them....

The first version was CE800 (1953-1957), then the numbering changed to 3001(Green)/3002(Brown) but the body was numbered "3000" in 1958 & 1959 production and then corrected from then on with only the Road number, but no Marklin code.
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
E6302B-(3000).jpg
E6302G-(3000).jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline intruder  
#22 Posted : 19 January 2014 01:09:26(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Thank you
David G Strachan

Hello David.

In your case I would go for the Märklin 600962 mLD. t's a multi protocol decoder (mfx, MM1, MM2 and DCC) with wires and an 8-pole NEM connector, four function outputs. For more details, have a loo at my web site sfcm rebuild

The motor set 60943 and the decoder must be bought separately.
Märklin used to sell complete sets, e.g. 60904 or 60924. but they are no longer in the program.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by intruder
Offline 3rail4life  
#23 Posted : 19 January 2014 05:00:18(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi David,

Svein's website is awesome, you should definitely check it out, lots of good stuff there for digital conversions

Saebonet

For the screw with clearance problems with the wheel you might try these: E756080 Counter Sink Screw M2x10

E756080

The other option is to shorten the kit's screw, grind down the head a bit and remove some material from the motor cover to get more clearance for the wheel and the gear on the other side.

I like the idea of counter sunk screw the best, hope you get it sorted out.

Gordon

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Makistrain  
#24 Posted : 19 January 2014 16:30:49(UTC)
Makistrain

United States   
Originally Posted by: Makistrain Go to Quoted Post
Greetings!
Is this true?
Makis

Hi Makis,

I'm afraid you are labouring under a misconception. The 5 pole motor kits are designed for use with digital decoders, and won't work with the analogue reversing unit. Replace the reversing unit with a decoder such as the marklin msd 60942. This will still allow you to run the locomotive in analogue mode until you are ready to convert to a digital controller.

Ray F
Thanks for straightening me out. You answered my question perfectly.
Will get the decoder and give a shot at installing.
Again, many thanks.
M
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Makistrain
Offline marktrain  
#25 Posted : 21 January 2014 17:36:59(UTC)
marktrain

United States   
New problem with lower screw on the 3001!
I ground down the head for clearance, then inserted to tighten.
Got the awful feeling when the screw just kept on turning - something has stripped!
Now I will have to try a thicker screw, first increasing the size of the hole in the motor cover.
Will use a shorter screw, if I can find one. ANY suggestions?
DAVID
Offline kbvrod  
#26 Posted : 21 January 2014 17:46:41(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
New problem with lower screw on the 3001!
I ground down the head for clearance, then inserted to tighten.
Got the awful feeling when the screw just kept on turning - something has stripped!
Now I will have to try a thicker screw, first increasing the size of the hole in the motor cover.
Will use a shorter screw, if I can find one. ANY suggestions?
DAVID

Self-tapping screw.

D
Offline marktrain  
#27 Posted : 29 January 2014 23:11:05(UTC)
marktrain

United States   
motor installed with original screw on top, and modified one on the bottom. NEW problem!
The decoder is installed: (red and brown for power; blue and green to plate; gray and yellow to lights) factory code is 78; Motorola 14 or 28.
The lights work correctly; the engine does NOT move! What went wrong?
Offline RayF  
#28 Posted : 29 January 2014 23:32:23(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Did you remember to put the brushes in?

It might seem like a silly question, but it's one of the most common mistakes, and one that I have done more than once!
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline biedmatt  
#29 Posted : 29 January 2014 23:51:53(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Did you remember to put the brushes in?

It might seem like a silly question, but it's one of the most common mistakes, and one that I have done more than once!

Oh yeah, me too. I sometimes miss the slider too as I replace the wire down to the collector behind the slider. The slider/pantograph switch also trips me up at times. Much to easy to bump it when you handle the loko.
Matt
Era 3
Offline river6109  
#30 Posted : 30 January 2014 00:02:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
David, when converting a loco always make sure you can turn the wheels freely before you put power to it. as Ray said have you added the brushes and the slider and make sure the power lever is in the right position, track/overhead.

to change the lights to Led's it's not an easy job and needs a bit of thinking.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109