Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Paul59  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2012 18:41:30(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hi, my name is Paul from the UK, I've been browsing here for a while - great forum.

At the moment I have a temporary layout using M track and I am considering switching to digital before building a more permanent layout.

I converted a couple of my locos using the ESU lokpilot v4 and the permanent magnet. These were small flat commutator motors and the locos work fine in digital mode.
However I also converted a 3072 V100 using the appropriate Lokpilot 4 kit. This loco has a drum commutator motor.
The conversion worked fine until I increased the speed to about half. After a few seconds at this speed the loco slowed then stuttered and I could smell burning!

I removed the motor and the commutator was a bit scorched but cleaned up ok. I reassembled and tried a different Decoder (of the same type) with the same result. The motor seemed to run ok with the decoder disconnected and a DC voltage applied to the brushes but as soon as it is powered from the decoder the burning returns.
I had checked the armature (anker) with a meter and there was around 8 ohms resistance between the segments on the commutator.

Lastly I reverted the loco back to AC Analogue with the original parts and it runs on analogue as it did before at high or low speed.

This has me puzzled. I am reluctant to continue with my conversions to digital until I can find out what happened here.
I was wondering if the drum commutator motors are more 'delicate' but figured that ESU wouldn't produce the kit if the motors weren't suitable.

The controller that I used is a CS1 (non updated).

Sorry for my first post being a long one and thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2012 19:03:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Paul,

Did you include the chokes in series with the motor terminals? These are there to protect the decoder from spikes generated by the arcing in the motor.

Also, did you adjust the CVs to the values recommended by ESU for a Marklin DCM motor?

Other than the above, which you haven't mentioned, I can't think of anything you have done wrong from your explanation.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Paul59  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2012 20:30:55(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hi Ray, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I included the chokes that came with the ESU kit - one on each brush terminal.
I also set the motor parameter CVs to those recommended in the ESU instructions for Marklin DCM motors. I also tried the factory set defaults.

Ive just had the loco running (as AC analogue) for the last half hour with about ten wagons at a reasonable speed on a track that includes gradients so it appears the motor survived the experience.

I forgot to add that before I did the last try with the decoder I skimmed and trued the commutator on a small lathe and then cleaned out the slots - just in case the commutator was uneven causing the brushes to skip. I also checked the solder joints to it.

I suppose I could try a new armature but in the UK everything has to be ordered so takes time.

This is a bit of a pain as I don't know whether to carry on converting locos if I'm going to run into these sort of problems.

Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2012 20:51:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think you've just been unlucky. I have done over a dozen of these conversions without problems.

For DCM motors I actually prefer to use Marklin 60760 kits. They work out a bit cheaper than the ESU sets and you get a motor upgrade too, though the decoder is inferior. Using a 60760 kit would eliminate the old armature, which would take away that problem from your case.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Paul59  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2012 21:39:18(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the reply. It sounds as though my loco just has some bad bits in it.
I've ordered the Marklin 60760 kit that you recommended. As you say it's a bit cheaper and should replace all the bits that could have caused the problem.
I'm new to Digital (and Marklin in fact) but I'm enjoying the learning experience so far.
Paul
Offline Chris6382chris  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2012 21:51:52(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Paul:

That is really strange. I have done several ESU Lokpilot 4 and loksound 4 conversions on all three types of motors and have never had a problem as you described. I always keep the 3 pole motor and have had great results. What are the chances that the rotor had a bit of oil on it or something like that caused the problem? I also would go along with fine metalic dust if you did any serious cleaning or put it on a lathe. That is the only thing I can think of.

Chris
Offline Paul59  
#7 Posted : 18 October 2012 22:21:19(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
I think you're probably right Chris, there must have been something in the motor although I did clean it out during the conversion including the grooves in the commutator. I cleaned it again after skimming it too.
Ah well, we'll see how the new marklin motor in the 60760 kit works.

What I find strange is that the motor is now working nicely back in analogue AC mode.

I've decided not to let it put me off digital though.

I must get around to starting the new layout - my temporary one seems to be growing but I can't make it permanent as the boards are too wide to get good access to the back for scenery building.

Paul
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 18 October 2012 22:44:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

Were there any scorch marks left behind from the burning that might give you a hint as to where the problem is?
Offline pa-pauls  
#9 Posted : 18 October 2012 23:29:14(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello Paul,

Have you removed the 2 condensators on the "motorschield" ? The one's that goes from each pole to ground ?

I am not really sure but this could be the problem,,, The condensator on the top of the "motorschield" should be there.
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Paul59  
#10 Posted : 18 October 2012 23:30:36(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hi David, thanks.

Part of the commutator was scorched either side of one of the joints between two of the segments close to the solder points. There was also a powdery sulphurous looking deposit in that area (hence me skimming the commutator to get a clean surface again).

I suppose that could point towards there being some contamination shorting across the gap at that point - maybe a fragment chipped off one of the brushes.

The windings themselves looked ok other than a bit of scorching close to the point already mentioned on the commutator. I should have taken a photo before I cleaned it up.

Paul
Offline Paul59  
#11 Posted : 18 October 2012 23:37:53(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pa-pauls Go to Quoted Post
Hello Paul,

Have you removed the 2 condensators on the "motorschield" ? The one's that goes from each pole to ground ?

I am not really sure but this could be the problem,,, The condensator on the top of the "motorschield" should be there.

Hi Paul,

I left the one between the brush terminals at the top of the shield. There weren't any between the poles and ground.

Thanks, Paul
Offline eroncelli  
#12 Posted : 19 October 2012 12:24:53(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
It appears like a "ground fault".
Right away, after the clean out, the motor is working properly, as you report.
Prior to sold the wires from the decoder, I use to check the insulation with an ohm-meter, just to avoid that problem.
Add a bit of "unluck": I fried a decoder just because it was loose and moved close to the M track
Offline Paul59  
#13 Posted : 19 October 2012 21:37:40(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
It appears like a "ground fault".
Right away, after the clean out, the motor is working properly, as you report.
Prior to sold the wires from the decoder, I use to check the insulation with an ohm-meter, just to avoid that problem.
Add a bit of "unluck": I fried a decoder just because it was loose and moved close to the M track

Good point. I thoroughly tested the armature for shorts but not anything else.
Next time I'm going over everything with a meter at every step of the process BigGrin
Thanks
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 20 October 2012 00:43:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Paul,

The V 100 (3072) so far I remember never had a drum armature.
By converting it you need a 60944 conversion kit or an ESU permanent magnet and a large flat armature.
the 3074, a later version had the drum armature.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Paul59  
#15 Posted : 20 October 2012 01:25:26(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the info River,
Mine definitely had a drum armature in it. I did get it secondhand so maybe it had been altered previously.
I haven't been collecting Marklin very long so unfortunately I'm not too familiar with all the numbers yet.

It's a bit of a learning curve.

Paul
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 21 October 2012 03:52:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Paul59 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the info River,
Mine definitely had a drum armature in it. I did get it secondhand so maybe it had been altered previously.
I haven't been collecting Marklin very long so unfortunately I'm not too familiar with all the numbers yet.

It's a bit of a learning curve.

Paul

Paul,

another problem can be but this usually doesn't alter the driving characteristics between analog and digital are the armature's wires from the coil to the collector, when cleaning the collector the collector may move (as I've noticed some of mine) and a wire has been broken off but this would effect the motor regardless whethter it is run in analog or digital mode but you could have a closer look at these wires 2 per pole.

another ooption you have is to set the decoder back to its original setting and see what's happening.

John

Offline Paul59  
#17 Posted : 25 October 2012 22:51:51(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Thanks John,
I looked at the soldering around the commutator and one of the joints was pretty bad and dry looking. I think this may have been parting under the high centrifugal forces when the speed increased. This would have caused local heating and hence damage to the commutator.

Anyway, today the postman delivered a Marklin 60760 kit which has a new armature, motor and motor brush plate along with the permanent magnet and decoder.
I have to say the magnet fitted far more precisely than the ESU one did (which may also have caused a problem if it wasn't sitting square).

The loco now performs very nicely in both digital and analogue mode.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.
Paul
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 25 October 2012 23:14:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Nice to see a happy ending! ThumpUp
Ray
Offline pa-pauls  
#19 Posted : 26 October 2012 11:23:05(UTC)
pa-pauls

Nice to hear Paul ThumpUp
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 26 October 2012 11:37:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
another happy modeller and converter.