Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline interno6  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2008 16:26:52(UTC)
interno6

Hello to everybody.
I've recently bought a nice Hag 242 with twin motor AC. I woud like to make it digital. Can somebody suggest me how can i perform this?
Ciao
Interno6
Offline Guus  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2008 17:37:06(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by interno6
<br />Hello to everybody.
I've recently bought a nice Hag 242 with twin motor AC. I woud like to make it digital. Can somebody suggest me how can i perform this?
Ciao

Don't know whether you can read German or not.The Swiss HAG forum has a wealth of information on this topic.

Assuming you have the newer type 88 motor installed,the easiest way to go would be to buy two permanent magnets one for each motor,a 21 pole pin adapter plate and a ESU Lokpilot 3.0 decoder,also provided by HAG.
Don't forget to order "digital' lamps as well since the lamps will be powered by a higher voltage after the modification!
The original AC field coils must be replaced by the permanent magnets.

Most probably you could save some money by using a decoder of another brand,like Uhlenbrock for instance,but the above mentioned ESU decoder is almost guaranteed to work,since HAG install it on all their new locomotives.

Permanent magnet sparepart number is: 161216-90
Adapter plate sparepart number: 501025-75
Lokpilot provided by HAG : 501-40 or the appropriate ESU 21 pin decoder.
Lamps: 165048-50

Please note that the information given above is based on the assumption that your locomotive has the Type 88 motor with AC field coils.

Furthermore,after completion of the conversion,some CV values of the decoder have to be modified for the HAG motor.If required I can post a list here with basic values if you wish.

I've succesfully converted a Re 6/6 Balerna to digital with above mentioned parts.The job is pretty straightforward.

UserPostedImage

HAG 21 pole adapter,there's also one provided by ESU,however without the wires

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline tekin65  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2008 18:27:45(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Guus hi,

I have the Hag Re 6/6 articulated. It has the Type88 AC motor. Is there an alternative for the method you just explained? I'm planning to do the conversion with an ESU lokpilot and two diodes, leaving the field coils in place. Do you think that'll work?

Regards,

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Guus  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2008 10:49:18(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />Guus hi,

I have the Hag Re 6/6 articulated. It has the Type88 AC motor. Is there an alternative for the method you just explained? I'm planning to do the conversion with an ESU lokpilot and two diodes, leaving the field coils in place. Do you think that'll work?

Regards,

Cem.

Hi Cem,

It should be possible to connect a Lokpilot 3.0 directly to the unmodified HAG motor,at least in theory.
I haven't heard so far from anyone having tried this however!
The thing I know is that some have tried to connect an Uhlenbrock decoder to the HAG motor in this way, with disappointing results.
Load control isn't possible for instance.

Maybe you could give it a try and fit a permanent magnet later if the driving characteristics are not up to your expectations.

Hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
Guus

edited:suggestion added.
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2008 22:37:54(UTC)
Webmaster

Cem, it will not work ok unless you can disable the "load dependent speed regulation" in the Lokpilot.
The 2 diode solution makes an EMF decoder go crazy. Trust me, I've tried it...

You should convert the motor to a pure DC motor and forget about 2 diodes. 2 diodes work in analog operation, and also with an "unregulated" decoder - but not with a modern decoder with EMF motor feedback.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Guus  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2008 23:28:01(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />Cem, it will not work ok unless you can disable the "load dependent speed regulation" in the Lokpilot.
The 2 diode solution makes an EMF decoder go crazy. Trust me, I've tried it...

You should convert the motor to a pure DC motor and forget about 2 diodes. 2 diodes work in analog operation, and also with an "unregulated" decoder - but not with a modern decoder with EMF motor feedback.

Hi Juhan,

I just realised that I may not have been completely clear in my answer.This is what ESU have to say on the possibility of connecting an "Allstrommotor":

ESU state in their Lokpilot V 3.0 manual issue August 2005 paragraph 3.1.3.2 that an "Allstrommotor" could be connected directly to the decoder,without the diodes and that if connected to the motor in this way, the load control is switched off automatically.
Using ESU colour coding that means the orange and the grey leads are connected to the motor via 3.9 mH chokes and the blue lead powers the field coil.
I fully agree that this isn't the best solution and also HAG hasn't mentioned this possibilty on their website.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline tekin65  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2008 10:27:25(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Hi,

Thank you all for the valuable input. Soon I will visit the Hag factory and I think I will buy a permanent magnet for my Re6/6 - no need to risk it.

Cheers,

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested