Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#51 Posted : 20 February 2008 10:21:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Are there differing revision levels of the compact C-Sine, as Lutz seems to infer with his differing versions of the 39120 E10. My 39120 is about 6 months old, is that likely to have the lastest version, and should I worry about having it upgraded? What about new engines available for purchase, such as the 39010 BR01? Do they have the latest versions, and how can you tell what version they are. Should we not buy any compact C-Sine locos, but wait for new SDS versions?
Offline mjrallare  
#52 Posted : 20 February 2008 18:23:47(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Larry
None of the dealers I've talked to in the US are aware of this.

And as I said above no one in Sweden knows either. Well I mailed ten different shops in Germany (both e-bay and non-ebay) and have already received replies from six. From these answers I think it's safe to say that no one in Germany knows either...
That is knows officially. At least two of these shops have received unofficial information from Märklin representatives and they say that Märklin will come with further information. But they don't say when...

When I called Märklin (se post above) they said they will "upgrade" my locos and that I can leave them to my dealer if I want. But since the dealer knows nothing about this he won't accept them.[}:)]

So the option today is to send them directly to Märklin or leave them in the "Erlebnisswelt". Is this what you did 60904? But it seems certain that Märklin will come with some kind of official statement about this in the near future. We'll just have to wait and see... That is, if Lutz doesn't decide to enlighten us. He clearly knows more than he wants to reveal.wink

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />Are there differing revision levels of the compact C-Sine, as Lutz seems to infer with his differing versions of the 39120 E10. My 39120 is about 6 months old, is that likely to have the lastest version, and should I worry about having it upgraded? What about new engines available for purchase, such as the 39010 BR01? Do they have the latest versions, and how can you tell what version they are. Should we not buy any compact C-Sine locos, but wait for new SDS versions?

Is this the thread you are refering to?
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...7877&SearchTerms=pcb

I think Lutz only wanted to show how the PCB's on 39120 and 39121 differ. And on the last picture he clearly has mounted a new speaker. Maybe that's what he means with "two versions". He often has too many smilies and too few words in his postings.biggrin
But maybe it's better if Lutz tells us himself.

The 39120 is "on green light" now at Märklin and clearly this latest batch must have been "upgraded". But how to tell when you see one at a dealer I don't know. And I guess we won't know until Märklin decides to tell us how to separate them. But, again, if you Lutz or anyone else has some information please share!

/Torbjörn

Edit;
Also found this thread after some searching:
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...73&SearchTerms=39120

Here Lutz shows two different versions of the 39120 PCB. One "old" and one "new". Did ESU also make the PCB? Is this the reason why Märklin won't talk? Are they in discussions with ESU about who will pay for this "Austausch-Aktionen"?
It will all be revealed in the next thrilling episode of...biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#53 Posted : 21 February 2008 09:13:00(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Torbjörn.
Offline pa-pauls  
#54 Posted : 21 February 2008 15:30:07(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello Smile

Lutz also says that the spare parts for this pcb's are not updated in the spare part lists then this will say
that if you have got the "new" 39120 and the pcb is faulty or broken you have to order the "old" one confused Strange wink

I got a 39120 only 2 weeks ago in Germany and there is NO way to see on the model or on the box that this is the model with SDS or not.
There is also nothing in the manual of the loco explaining anything of this [}:)] Which version do I have, the "old" or the "new" with SDS confused

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline laalves  
#55 Posted : 21 February 2008 15:48:01(UTC)
laalves

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by pa-pauls
<br />Which version do I have, the "old" or the "new" with SDS confused

If it doesn't have the red sticker in the box, then it isn't a SDS.
Offline Guus  
#56 Posted : 21 February 2008 15:56:49(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Pål
<br />Hello Smile

I got a 39120 only 2 weeks ago in Germany and there is NO way to see on the model or on the box that this is the model with SDS or not.
There is also nothing in the manual of the loco explaining anything of this [}:)] Which version do I have, the "old" or the "new" with SDS confused

Hi Pål,

Correct me if I'm wrong please,but the way I understand the situation is as follows.
Your model 39120 still has the Compact Sinus motor.This model could be either equipped with the old electronics or the revised electronic circuit board(driver electronics),however it will still have the "old" Compact C-sine.

The SDS models already have another pcb with the improved electronics.

Like already explained by Stephan ,the "problematic" Compact C-sine models will only get an improved pcb if needed and not a new SDS motor.

In the light of this situation I hope Märklin will communicate a list of serial numbers with affected/modified models to their dealers and or service centres.

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline mjrallare  
#57 Posted : 21 February 2008 16:08:54(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus
Correct me if I'm wrong please,but the way I understand the situation is as follows.

Well, no correction from me. This is how I also understand it.Smile

But, what confuses me is that Lutz says that his 39120 bought in June (?) 2007 also had "the new motor". This, as I understand it, means that this "later" 39120 actually was equipped with the new SDS-engine.
Lutz can you help us out! Was this the case? (And if so, did it have the "red sticker"?)

/Torbjörn
Offline Guus  
#58 Posted : 21 February 2008 16:31:08(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Torbjörn,

Yes,this is strange, according to the latest information on the Märklin website it's still a compact C-sine:
......Neuer C-Sinus Hochleistungsantrieb in kompakter Bauform........

Kind regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline pa-pauls  
#59 Posted : 21 February 2008 20:48:33(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello again Smile

Regarding the spare parts list for model 39120 and 39121, the motor has the same part number
so the motor itself is actually the same in both models [:I] I don't know about the loco in 26540 Cool

As I did know this is why I asked the question wink
So if my 39120 has the same motor as the 39121 AND it should have the new electronics pcb it should be like a SDS model confused Strange [}:)]Cool
Pål Paulsen
Offline mjrallare  
#60 Posted : 22 February 2008 02:47:42(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
So if my 39120 has the same motor as the 39121 AND it should have the new electronics pcb it should be like a SDS model confused

Well, as I mentioned above, Lutz said already in June last year that a "late" 39120 of his had a SDS-engine (if I understood him correctly). So if the part numbers doesn't differ, I guess the 39120s produced since last summer are "unofficial" SDS-locos.

/Torbjörn
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#61 Posted : 22 February 2008 05:24:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Confused?? I certainly am!!

Serial Numbers and a 'Good' or 'Bad' indication would be the way to go.
Offline pa-pauls  
#62 Posted : 23 February 2008 22:13:24(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello Smile

Thank's Lutz, your replies are very informative, as always !

I must laugh of this hole "story" biggrin
So my version of the model 39120 is a 50% SDS model [:p]

Talk about being confused [xx(][xx(]

Like a Volvo with a Audi motor [:I](Yes it excist) Wonder why I drive Mercedes confused wink
Pål Paulsen
Offline mjrallare  
#63 Posted : 24 February 2008 14:21:39(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
<br />Hello Smile
So my version of the model 39120 is a 50% SDS model [:p]

Talk about being confused [xx(][xx(]

Yes Pål, it is confusing... But in line with what we "suspected" and what Lutz explained above you have a 100% SDS-model. But without the "red sticker"... ("Second version" 39120, 39121 and E10 from 26540 have the same motors and driver PCBs but all three have different decoders.)
The fact that there are different "versions" probably explains, to a part, why some have trouble with their locos and others have not.

And thanks Lutz for your postings. With the help of your earlier pictures of the 39120 PCBs, I've been able to verify my own 39120 as being from the "second release". So no need for an upgrade...
But I also own 39420, 39010, the VT08 and the HWZ... I wonder if there also are "second versions" of these modelsconfused
Definitely not of the HWZ, maybe of the last batch of the VT08 and surely the last produced batches of the 39420 and 39010 are "second versions". So how can I tell which version I've got? After all, we can't expect Lutz to publish pictures of all these different versions. Although it sure would be nice if he could.Smile

But it's of course Märklin who (on their site) should clearly (with pictures) tell us how to see the difference between the two versions!

I understand that for many people out there this isn't a big question. The rather few comments to this thread also implies that. After all, if your models runs alright, why bother.
But many of us are collectors who just test our locos briefly before putting them back in the box. And, as so many others, I dream about that huge layout that I will build some day (and it will happen[:p]). Not until then will I have plenty of boosters and eight trains running simultaneous... So the problems might be "hidden" from me until that day. And by then it might be too late to change the PCB because it will probably be hard to get hold on. And even if it will be available it costs already today 99 euros...[B)]
And is it "now or never"? If I don't "upgrade" them today, will Märklin do it for me in two or three years time?
And just the fact that Lutz is having some of his models "upgraded" is reason enough for me to do the same...wink

So while I appreciate the unique info you often give us in your postings Lutz, I can't agree with you in your blind admiration of Märklin. You are correct when you say this is no safety issue. But even if Märklin is not obliged to say anything officially about this, I still think they should.
As already mentioned I was very happy with the "treatment" I received when I called directly to Märklin. But if they say that I can leave my locos to my dealer and the dealer then replies that he will not accept them since he has heard nothing about all this, I am left "hanging" as a customer.
And since most of us are very loyal "Märklinists" we deserve better!

And even if we have the option to send the locos directly to Märklin or leaving them at the "Erlebnisswelt", it would be nice to understand how to separate the different "versions". My 39120 clearly already was "updated" but I wouldn't have known that without Lutz pictures. And the 39420 I've recently got back from Märklin after eleven months, is that updated? And to whom at Märkllin should I send my locos? Is it enough with "Märklin Göppingen"?

So once again I fail to understand why Märklin can't post some simple guidelines on their site!

I still believe that Märklin will come with some sort of "official statement" about this issue. If not on their site, so at least in a message to the dealers. Anything else would be a scandal!

/Torbjörn
Offline marklin61  
#64 Posted : 25 February 2008 02:02:32(UTC)
marklin61

Unfortunetaly not crytsal clear to me.........I can't speak or read German.....

Is there an english version........?? or would that open an pandora's box.

All I wanting is clear instructions (in English) so I can understand what I am to do, or at the very least get Marklin to advise my dealer of what is been done.
Given dealers work with the manufacturer you would think that any upgrade program would be communicated down the line.......I still cannot for the life of me understand why Marklin refuses to publically advise its dealers/ clients......... The Central Station upgrade was easy enough..........why not this.......

Steve...............

Life with Pinot Noir, Chocolate and Marklin trains..........
Offline mjrallare  
#65 Posted : 25 February 2008 14:13:49(UTC)
mjrallare

Hi Lutz and everyone else!

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
Hi Torbjörn,

the difference is primarily coming from different usage by the various types of users and much less by the different model internal versions.

That's why I said "to a part". But how do you define "much less"? Clearly a 39120 of the "first generation" (compact c-sinus) will show problems under certain circumstances while one from the "second generation" (in fact a SDS-model) will not.

Quote:
Exactly! Smile You claim your model (and only then) when you encounter an operational problem with it.

Well the issue is that these problems appear under certain circumstances as already described above by supermoee and others (see also Stummis forum). As I've already said I've just run my locos briefly on an oval circuit. No other trains, no lighting, no boosters, no brake-areas and absolutely clean track. And I'm trying to make sure that when I do have a big layout sometime in the future my locos will work like expected. When that day comes, I'm not sure if Märklin will "upgrade" my locos. But they will today. So I personal think it's best to play safe here and have the locos "upgraded".

And Märklin wouldn't offer this "upgrade" if there weren't some substantial problems, would they?
Here are some statements made by Märklin in their brochure "Innovation - SoftdriveSinus":
*"...des SoftdriveSinus-Motors erlaubt ruckelfreien Lauf..."
*"Bei einem Anstieg der Gesamtbelastung auf der Anlage durch mehrere Loks findet kein geschwindigkeitseinbruch bei den Lokomotiven statt."
*"Der Halt im Signalbereich mit Bremsbaustein ist vorbildgerechtmöglich."

Seems to me as they are emphasizing that the old problems are now gone with the new "SoftdriveSinus"...

Quote:
Up to you - my sole reason to contact Märklin was that I experienced specific problems with my models.

Yes, the decision is of course up to everyone to make for themselves. But, once again, one might want to make an "upgrade" simply to avoid problems that hasn't been encountered yet. And Märklin have been absolute silent! To get information one have had to spend hours in front of the computer. Browsing different forums. Thats not how it should be!

Quote:
Your personal opinion or desire - I know that Märklin has a different one, which was the basis for my statement (actually I didn't say what I think they could or should do Cool).

And you didn't say how you think now either...biggrin But when it comes to this issue and Märklin, there are things you have to do and things you should do. The former is ruled by the law, the latter is ruled by morale and overall customer care.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HemmerichIf you have raised this as a warranty claim, just kick your dealer in his a.. and show him what his obligations are in Märklin's context! Cool

Well I did kick my dealer in his a... But it didn't help. He has heard nothing from Märklin and neither have the Swedish distributor, so they won't accept my locos. And he is an authorized Märklin-dealer...
But why should I have to kick his a..? Just because Märklin haven't informed him properly? I'm not an a..-kicking kind of person, but if I was I would kick the a.. of Märklin. Afterall, what's the use kicking on the innocent?
Quote:
I don't understand this complaint - the information is there - crisp and clear! It even tells you whom to contact if you encounter a technical problem with your model! biggrin
http://www.maerklin.de/de/servi...fe/reparaturservice.html

All I find in that link is information on how to get in touch with the "Reparaturservice". It doesn't say anything explicit about this "upgrade-process".And as I've written above I have contacted them. But you miss the point. In order to phone them you have to be aware about this "upgrade-action" from Märklin. You also need to know that even if you may have a loco that is OK when you run it three laps on a small oval it may show problems under other circumstances. This information, once again, should have been given by Märklin. One should not have had to find it while browsing forums on the internet.
And by the way. The first option according to "Reparaturservice" was to send the locos to Märklin through my local dealer...

Well my view is clear. A company like Märklin, with such devoted customers, should of course do whatever they can to bring this kind of important information to the knowledge of their customers and dealers. Lutz says above that he knows that Märklin won't say anything officially about this. I must say I really thought they would... In that case I can only conclude that if we want information about things like this upgrade or "zinkpest-köfs", we will have to look on the internet-forums... Because Märklin won't give it to us unless it is a safety problem. But I forgot! Of course, we can always call Märklin. I did, and they were very helpful. But that demands that we are already aware about a potential problem which isn't always the case.

At Stummis many members (including the webmaster himself) didn't know about the zinkpest-problem before they read it on the forum. They then checked their beloved models and first then saw that they were affected. And it's the same with this "cinus-upgrade". If you've just briefly tested you're loco, you might not spot any problems. But, again, that doesn't mean that there aren't any potential problems ahead in the future. Märklin is helping everyone with both this "upgrade" and the köfs. That's great and we are thankful for it. But that doesn't change the fact that the information given about the nature of these problems and what to do about them leaves much to be desired.

Well when almagik started this thread he wondered if there were any news about this "upgrade-process".
To sum things up (as I see them):
Yes, there is an upgrade process taking place. Märklin will for free upgrade your locos with the old "compact c-sinus" engine. The process have started but PCBs for for example the HWZ-zug are not yet available. Many (most, all?) dealers both in Germany and abroad are not informed. If you're dealer are not helping you out, you can send your locos directly to Märklin (call their "Reparaturservice" for closer details. They speak English. You can also leave your models at the "Erlebnisswelt".

Side note: The upgraded locos will not be SDS-locos since they retain the old engine (but I think the actual difference between the engines are quite small. As Lutz has explained for us, the big difference is actually in the driver PCB). The latest batches produced of for example the 39120 are actually SDS-locos (new engine and PCB). We can see the difference between "first and second generation" 39120 by looking at the photos posted by Lutz (see link above). But with other models we can't say until Märklin reveals some information or someone posts pictures of the different versions.

Finally, I'm still hoping that Märklin will post something or send something out to the dealers regarding this. Since they've already taken the financial burden of changing these PCBs I can't see why they shouldn't.

/Torbjörn
Offline marklin61  
#66 Posted : 25 February 2008 22:54:23(UTC)
marklin61

I sent this email to Marklin web site at marklin.com (I belive this is the offical US site.

"Hello Marklin,

Given I am a very long and loyal marklin fan I have found it distributing that the newer C-Sinus in the 39080 and 39010 (as well as other models) have a known issue with running characteristics and performance.

I have been told (unofficially) that marklin are to make good an upgrade program to the newer softsinus to these models. It is with great debate that no one dealer (that I am aware of) has any information on what, when and how these upgrades are to take place.

Can you please officially clarify marklin position of this matter.

I am interested in the following.

1.Is there an official upgrade..??

2.If so, When will the upgrade take place.?

3. Is there a list of models that have been identified that will be covered in the upgrade program..?

4. What will be the process to get models upgraded.?

5. Are these covered under the warranty..??

6. Why is Marklin taking so long to rectify this problem (Given it is nearly a year old...??

7. Why are dealers not informed...??

8. Will Marklin provide an clear statement..??

Your reply would be of great interest to a number of Marklin fans, that I have to say are becoming quite irate with the slow progress and the lack of information.

We look forward to your reply."

Now wait for it this is the reply.............
I have never heard of an upgrade on these models.
The only series that I know were affected by the c-sinus were the Taurus models (German and Austrian)

Tom Catherall

tom@marklin.com
phone - (801) 489-8971
fax (801)489-1087
191 Stetson Dr.
Springville UT 84663
Steve...............

Life with Pinot Noir, Chocolate and Marklin trains..........
Offline nevw  
#67 Posted : 25 February 2008 23:42:38(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Who is telling Porkies.

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline mjrallare  
#68 Posted : 26 February 2008 12:34:29(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by nevw
<br />Who is telling Porkies.

N

I don't think anyone is telling Porkies Nev... We now see that the American distributor knows nothing about this and I've already written that it's the same with the Swedish distributor. Clearly most, if not all, dealers knows nothing either...

If you call directly to Märklin however, you get the reply I posted above. Märklin has for some reason, known only to them, decided not to communicate this outside their own company. At least not yet...
This gives problems since, wether I kiss or kick my Swedish dealer, he won't accept my locos. Neither will the Swedish distributor. If it's a warranty claim they have to know what's up with the locos, and when I say that I want the PCB upgraded, well...[:(]

And how about the warranty? If this is treated as a normal warranty issue we are running low on warranty time. And according to my dealer it's two years warranty but the second year is "conditioned". During the second year it's up to the customer to prove that there was something wrong with the loco when it was produced. How to do that I haven't a clue...
Nedless to say, I've used another dealer for my last purchases.

We could discuss this forever. It's good of Märklin to upgrade the locos but no one will be able to convince me that they couldn't have handled this whole business better.
Personally I'm going to call Märklin again for more detailed instructions and then I'm sending my locos directly to Märklin.

Thanks everyone at this forum and at Stummis for making me aware of this problem.

/Torbjörn

edit; if anyone wants to get in contact with Märklin Germany you'll have to phone them. They talk good English. I've mailed them several times, but without reply.
Offline nevw  
#69 Posted : 26 February 2008 12:51:27(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Emiling and no reply is standard Practice.

Never email. spend money and Phone but if you are certain person walk into the service centre and get service.
n
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline supermoee  
#70 Posted : 26 February 2008 13:39:22(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello @all,

Since there is not official communication from Märklin, but only hidden Insider Information, yesterday I brought all my C-sine compact models to the Swiss Märklin Service Center with the failure indication:

"big speed variations depending from the voltage load, Incompatibility with the Märklin breaking module"

Now is up to Märklin to fix them. How they do, if by upgrading the driver circuit or similar, I do not care. I want these Problems fixed.

regards

Stephan

P.S.: following insider information, the driver circuits for all locos should be available around april. Maybe until then we hear something official from Märklin.

P.S.2: I got first feedback. The update will be a silent one. Only the people who complain about the defects in the service center will get them fixed. Who is not experiencing problems, will get them not fixed biggrin

I have done it right.

Offline David Dewar  
#71 Posted : 27 February 2008 00:01:28(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I only bought one of these with that motor.... got a refund from the dealer and bought something else.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mjrallare  
#72 Posted : 27 February 2008 00:12:55(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by supermoee
P.S.2: I got first feedback. The update will be a silent one. Only the people who complain about the defects in the service center will get them fixed. Who is not experiencing problems, will get them not fixed biggrin

I have done it right.

Thanks for the info supermoee, although I must say it's a disappointing one...[:(]

One might also say that those who are unaware about the inherent potential for future problems in their locos, will get them not fixed.

Quote:
...(already first time last year, after my conversation about some technical details with the Märklin R&D manager)...

Most of us don't have the good fortune to know the right people like you do Lutz. But I surely can understand that you don't find it hard to get information from Märklin.

/Torbjörn
Offline nevw  
#73 Posted : 27 February 2008 00:14:45(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
However when a Manufacturer has knowledge that a particular part is faulty and in this case they did and redesigned the offending PCB. THere is a Compelling MORAL and Legal case(In most countries) for ALL affected models to have the faulty PCB replaced. Not when they fail, but should notify dealers, who would know who purchased the faulty Locos, ( I say faulty here as although they may not be showing signs of any faults thay are fitted with the Faulty PCB), then the dealers can inform the customers and have the faulty board replaced.
It is not good business practice or even logical to do this in secret.

N
Offline perz  
#74 Posted : 27 February 2008 01:58:51(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I must somewhat agree that Märklin's silence is a problem.

I have 3 compact non-SDS C-sine loks: 37900, 39820 and 39980.

Both the 37900 and the 39820 vary their speed heavily depending on supply voltage. The 39980 is too little run so I don't know if it applies to that one too. However, at least two of my non-C-sine mfx locos (36810 and 36335) have this problem to at least the same degree. Is this a "defect" or is it "normal behavior"? In the C-sine loks only, or in all? I would have assumed "normal behavior" if it weren't for the discussions in this forum.

The 37900 did not start consistently. I fixed it by changing a CV. This is of course a "defect", but my assumption was that sending it to repair would just result in the same CV change. Thanks to the discussions here I know now that there is a more fundamental problem, even if it does not show up for the moment.

On the other hand, my old 37645 once upon the time showed much worse starting and speed variation problems, but that was considered "normal behavior" for that model and not a "defect". I had to replace the decoder with a new version at my own expense.

My 39820 sounds like a sewing machine. Is it "defect" or "normal behavior"? How can I tell? Most of my other loks are noisier than the 39820, but none of them sounds like a sewing machine.

How about the "Alzheimer" and the connected problem with never forgetting the old speed? Seems to be considered "normal behavior" and not a "defect" for all locos that show one of these problems. This is much more annoying than the Compact S-sine defects, in my opinion. How should I know that the relatively less annoying problems are considered "defects" when the more annoying problems are considered "normal behavior"?

Märklin should speak out I think. Which kind of problems do they take responsibility for, and which not? Most of us don't have direct contacts into Märklin. Many of us have hundreds or thousands of kilometers to the nearest decent Märklin dealer not to mention the distance to Göppingen. Sending loks for repair is something you want to avoid if you are in that situation.

Many of us buy loks for use on a future layout, or, like myself, have their layout dismantled for the moment. Problems that likely will show up once I set up the full layout again do not show up on the simple carpet layouts where I test the loks I buy in the mean time. So how can I claim warranty repair without actually seeing the problems for the moment?
Offline kbvrod  
#75 Posted : 27 February 2008 04:00:06(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Why does Marklin want to reinvent the wheel?[xx(]

Dr Dirt
Offline nevw  
#76 Posted : 27 February 2008 05:15:23(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Silence is Golden Smile

and Costs less.[xx(]
N
Offline john black  
#77 Posted : 27 February 2008 13:13:23(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />It's no different than with any other product; let's say a car. If you buy it just for your garage, you'll barely ever see any problem it may have. And no - usually no car manufacturer or dealer will get back to you for an (even free) update/upgrade unless there is a serious safety issue.

True words, Lutz - excellent comparison SmileSmileSmile
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline mjrallare  
#78 Posted : 27 February 2008 14:17:39(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
...in the identification of possible causes of potential issues. ...
confused

Well no more "simple complaining" from me. I now know what to do with my locos. Hope that others also have benefited from this thread.

/Torbjörn
Offline laalves  
#79 Posted : 27 February 2008 21:38:56(UTC)
laalves

While you guys talk, I acted upon it biggrin! Just came back from my dealer where I left my V08.5, HWZ and Schienenbus, complaining about stuttering running and voltage sensitivity.

Let's see what happens! It's the second time I sent them, first time they came back with a letter saying there would be a program to exchange the electronics until the end of 2007...
Offline nevw  
#80 Posted : 29 February 2008 10:46:54(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[iFor warranty claims, I have never seen that I am treated by Märklin different than any other customer worldwide; which is completely ok for me.

Can you qualify that statement Lutz?
Nev
Offline David Dewar  
#81 Posted : 29 February 2008 13:06:27(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Luis. Well done a man of action. Will be interesting to see how many months you wait and what they do about it. As I said earlier the only loco I bought with that motor I sold and now only buy sds stuff.

John. I am waiting for a safety recall on my BR05 !!

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#82 Posted : 08 March 2008 01:35:19(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />John. I am waiting for a safety recall on my BR05 !!

Why such, David ... confused
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline 60904  
#83 Posted : 09 March 2008 22:21:48(UTC)

Germany   
Hi,
39120, 39980, 37900 and 37901 are back and no longer slowing down when operating a signal or turnout in the same power circuit. I am still waitinh for 39080 and HWZ and believe it or not 39572. They have done a fine job.
Greetings
Martin
Offline David Dewar  
#84 Posted : 09 March 2008 23:32:56(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi John. Possible airbag problem.

David
Offline Larry  
#85 Posted : 10 March 2008 06:50:59(UTC)
Larry

United States   
This upgrade/recall has to be extremely expensive for Maerklin. I cannot believe how many items I have that have this motor.
Offline soren36  
#86 Posted : 10 March 2008 14:34:28(UTC)
soren36

United States   
I have several compact C-Sine locos but only experienced a slowdown on one, VT08.5, when I switched the inside lights on. And this even while running 4 trains at once on a layout with approximately 40'/12-13 meters of C-Track powered by a single 60555 xformer. Even then the impact has only been a slight slowing of the VT08.5.

UNTIL - I activated a new 37611/49611 combo ATSF PA1. When she starts, C-Sines almost come to a stop. Is this the problem so many seem to have? Would this problem be solved by the "squeaky wheel recall"?
A Connecticut Yankee
Offline john black  
#87 Posted : 14 March 2008 21:36:23(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Hi John. Possible airbag problem.

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#88 Posted : 14 March 2008 23:09:09(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 60904
<br />Hi,
39120, 39980, 37900 and 37901 are back and no longer slowing down when operating a signal or turnout in the same power circuit. I am still waitinh for 39080 and HWZ and believe it or not 39572. They have done a fine job.

Lucky man, I'm still waiting the call to send mine in Germany
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
Offline Larry  
#89 Posted : 16 March 2008 08:39:00(UTC)
Larry

United States   
And, Lutz, what do you expect the update to consist of?
Offline SierraDelta  
#90 Posted : 01 April 2008 16:19:05(UTC)
SierraDelta

Have just seen on Stummi that the 39010 (BR01 147) can be updated now - I take it that this will be the case for the 39015 as well. As for the 39680 (E18), the new parts should be available from late April. Just contact the Märklin Repair Center for information on how to proceed.

Interesting to note that it is also possible to send in only the parts that are to be exchanged (PCB/decoder) if you are comfortable doing the work yourself.
Cheers,
Søren
#91 Posted : 24 April 2008 01:03:41(UTC)
Pavle

Quote:
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by laalves
<br />While you guys talk, I acted upon it biggrin! Just came back from my dealer where I left my V08.5, HWZ and Schienenbus, complaining about stuttering running and voltage sensitivity.

Let's see what happens! It's the second time I sent them, first time they came back with a letter saying there would be a program to exchange the electronics until the end of 2007...

Don't worry Luis,

it's changed now; the repair center has the parts and official "go" for all relevant models (except two; one of them being the HWZ). Let's see who will get her/his model(s) back first. wink

Lutz, maybe you can be so kind to ask your friends at Marklin Germany to tell their collegues in the Netherlands about this official "go". I brought my compact c-sines some 4 weeks ago, still no reaction. My dealer told me the Service Center was totally unaware of this situation...

Peter
Peter
Offline spitzenklasse  
#92 Posted : 24 April 2008 03:57:04(UTC)
spitzenklasse

I have a 39120 E10.3 electric. I have no complaints, other than mentioned above with the other members.
I don't remeber if I mailed in the warranty card. I live in the US and mail ordered it from Vancouver, Canada. The exchange rate was still favorable.
Now, from what I understand, If you purchase through an authorized dealer in the US, then Marklin USA backed up the warranty. But Marklin USA is now Walthers. Now what? Will they be servicing our items?
I've known guy's who went to Germany and brought back trains. They saved money, but if something went wrong under warranty, and took it to a US dealer, they were told to send it back where they bought it for service.
Marklin USA would not warrant an item sold overseas.
My dealer, told me personally, if I buy an item from him, and it is a lemon, it is covered. He will be re-imbursed by Marklin because they know he sold it to me. He also will back it up himself within reason out of warranty. I bought a crocodile, and it would run for a while, and just stop. Rather than send it out to Marklin, he took it apart, replaced the faulty brushes, springs, and I had it right back. This is the kind of relationships we will need from our dealers in the future. I would hope that they stockpile parts, just in case.
Offline mjrallare  
#93 Posted : 24 April 2008 14:24:51(UTC)
mjrallare

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Pavle

Lutz, maybe you can be so kind to ask your friends at Marklin Germany to tell their collegues in the Netherlands about this official "go". I brought my compact c-sines some 4 weeks ago, still no reaction. My dealer told me the Service Center was totally unaware of this situation...

Peter

Hi Peter!

As I described above I had exactly the same problem with the Swedish distributor. Märklin hadn't informed them either. Maybe the service center will be able to help you out after all... But if not, send the locos directly to Märklin Germany. I sent mine to my new German dealer who was kind enough to help me out. He will send them to Märklin when the necessary "spares" are available. He will then ship the locos back to me together with the items I have pre-ordered from him.

/Torbjörn
Offline H0  
#94 Posted : 24 April 2008 22:37:18(UTC)
H0

Hello!
Quote:
<br />PS: 39572 update is something completely different; also has nothing to do with compact sine to SDS.

AFAIK all locos with mfx decoder and c-sine motor share the same problem - big or compact c-sine motor makes no difference, there is a problem with the driver PCB between decoder and motor.

I have a BR 151 loco with big c-sine motor that'll travel to Göppingen in a week or two ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline spitzenklasse  
#95 Posted : 25 April 2008 20:41:01(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Now we have another answer. I'll talk to my dealer. He will know. I'm not spending one red cent. I paid enough for it. If they won't malke it run correctly, I am done with Marklin.
Offline supermoee  
#96 Posted : 26 April 2008 02:14:31(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

my 39010 came back 2 weeks ago. Every problem is solved, no voltage sensitivity anymore.

rgds

Stephan
Offline mmervine  
#97 Posted : 26 April 2008 05:58:07(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Wow...call the fire train![}:)]
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline intruder  
#98 Posted : 26 April 2008 16:01:58(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I hope you have a resque train, Lutz.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline spitzenklasse  
#99 Posted : 26 April 2008 16:07:53(UTC)
spitzenklasse

How could this occur Lutz?
Offline pa-pauls  
#100 Posted : 26 April 2008 17:33:37(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello Smile

I have 39010 Br.01, 39080 VT08, 39619 Br.61, 39680 E18 and 39800 V200 all with Sinus kompakt Cool

Do you think I should deliver them to Märklin for the upgrade confused Is it worth it confused Anyone confused [:I]
Pål Paulsen