Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Steph  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2014 02:43:16(UTC)
Steph

United States   
Hello, I am trying to get a little help about a train my mother asked me to sell. It was my dad's and I know it was bought at Nieman's in the early to mid 1950's. I have taken pictures of the train and I also have a huge suitcase full of track, etc. I need to know how to go about assessing the value. I can't even list on eBay until I know how to find out more info such as model number or age. How and where so I find that info? I don't have any Train/ Hobby stores near me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPIC MOVED BY MODERATOR TO 'GENERAL MRR H0-SCALE' / KWEEKALOT

Edited by moderator 17 May 2014 16:44:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Steph attached the following image(s):
IMG_4032.jpg
IMG_4028.jpg
IMG_4030.jpg
IMG_4035.jpg
IMG_4038.jpg
IMG_4040.jpg
IMG_4042.jpg
IMG_4043.jpg
IMG_4046.jpg
IMG_4048.jpg
IMG_4051.JPG
IMG_4055.JPG
IMG_4053.JPG
IMG_4056.JPG
IMG_4058.jpg
IMG_4059.jpg
IMG_4034.jpg
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2014 03:09:31(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Hi I couldn't download all of your pictures as it takes too long. The engine seems to be an F800, in that condition it won't be worth much, the wagons I saw are common. Unless there is another engine or any other valuable thing I did not see don't raise your hopes, the F800 with the tender might sell for around $100 in that state.
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2014 03:14:29(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Steph and welcome,

Its a bit hard to say exactly, a few of the wagons appear to have early stage zinc pest and none of them jumped out at me as anything special.
I'm not familiar with the US market but at a guess around the $20 mark (give or take) each for the wagons, maybe a tad more if with the original boxes.

As to the loco's, maybe a bit over 100 the pair. Mind you that's just my estimate, others here may have a better idea than me especially re the US market.

With the track, is it the solid centre rail type and how much ?

Wouldn't get my hopes up for more than around 200 all up.

All the best
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Steph  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2014 05:15:48(UTC)
Steph

United States   
Thanks guys- I would really like to know how to determine what models they are and/or age? Where should I start?
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2014 05:56:46(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Steph Go to Quoted Post
Thanks guys- I would really like to know how to determine what models they are and/or age? Where should I start?

Ebay is a good place start browsing all the listings and you are bound to find most of them. If you want to make sure you find them all do the searches on Ebay.de As mentioned by the other poster you'll be lucky to have much more than a couple of hundreds. The locomotive and its tender seem to be the most important bit. I stick to the F800 model and it will be probably from the mid 50's but with so many paint chips you'll struggle to get much. The little loco is a 3000

Seems most of that stuff is from the 50's to late 50's, the catalogue is probably 1972 which brings the question do you have more than what's on the photos?
Offline Janne75  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2014 12:15:29(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

Some of the wagons are quite expensive on German eBay, but those are in top shape and with boxes. Also in my Koll's 2012 catalog the prices are high for some of these, but those prices are for items in excellent condition and original boxes. If these were mine I would not sell many of these for very low price regardless of a bit worn condition. For example that old Esso tankwagon. Koll's price for this one for example is 180-200 euro depending of the version. But the prices drop very rapidly when the item condition gets worse as collectors want only items in mint condition if they pay high price for them. It can be that the market in US is different, but I think you could get a much better price for these items on German eBay auctions. Prices for older items have got higher there.

Regards,
Janne

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2014 07:32:23(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Steph Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I am trying to get a little help about a train my mother asked me to sell. It was my dad's and I know it was bought at Nieman's in the early to mid 1950's. I have taken pictures of the train and I also have a huge suitcase full of track, etc. I need to know how to go about assessing the value. I can't even list on eBay until I know how to find out more info such as model number or age. How and where so I find that info? I don't have any Train/ Hobby stores near me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPIC MOVED BY MODERATOR TO 'GENERAL MRR H0-SCALE' / KWEEKALOT

Hi Steph, for everyone I've resized, cropped and reloaded the images below.

As mentioned by others, it's all very play-worn I'm afraid, some of the items show signs of metal-fatigue (called 'Zinkpest' in Marklin items), this is the powdery appearance on many items. Sometimes it's not too severe and a good clean can make a huge difference but that all takes time and the assumption for a buyer will always be for the worst-case.

As for identifying them, well many of them have the info you need already on them and if you google those numbers or markings, along with the word 'marklin' and search on images, you will quickly narrow them down. For the rolling stock you are looking for the 3-digit number molded into the body, examples are 308, 311, 313/1 etc and the numbers on the side of the Loco Cab, in this case the small one is '3000', the larger engine already identified as F800, there will be a number on the end of the Coal Tender, something like F809.

The flat wagon with the metal hoops is sad, it's normally a covered wagon, not unlike an old west wagon train - the cover is white cotton and printed with "Marklin", in good condition very collectible but unless you have this somewhere the wagon value without it is minimal.

The long flat wagon "496391" and the black pipe belong together, but there should also be some special brackets to hold the pipe on. This would be Marklin number "4616".

Marklin changed from a 3-digit numbering system to 4-digits in 1957 and many of your items are across this period so they could be correctly referred to under either of the schemes.

One of the images indicates you may have more than what you've uploaded so far. If you wish to add more pictures, resize them first, crop and rotate as required - you can do all of this in Microsoft Paint (assuming you use a Windoze PC).

If you wish to sell them, you might be best at first to try a bulk lot via Ebay, Craigslist etc, or if you can be bothered with individual listings you could try piecemeal but it's a lot of work.

The values others have quoted are pretty much on the money.

Good luck

Steve
NZ
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
IMG_4028r(320).jpg
IMG_4030r(308).jpg
IMG_4035r.jpg
IMG_4032r.jpg
IMG_4040r(4616).jpg
IMG_4038r(4616).jpg
IMG_4042r(3000).jpg
IMG_4043r.jpg