Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mike M  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2013 22:04:00(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Hi,

Here is a silly question,but I like to be clear on this once and for all. When creating a common ground.does that mean I can take the brown wire from the original scource and connect to my distribution panel and then run another wire to the next ditribution panel? For the light transformer after connecting a brown wire to my distribution panel,should I also connect the brown wire to the distribution panel for my track power including the booster and CS2 power?In other words daisy chain all of the brown wires to each scource.I am using C track.

Reason I am asking is one of my turnouts is doing weird things,it only works sporadicaly but works fine on my programming track.This problem started when I hooked up my track end stoppers,so I am trying to isolate this problem.Right now I have run the groung wire as mentined above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Confused
Offline BrandonVA  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2013 22:18:52(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Mike,

I'm not sure the cause of your problem, but a common ground should be no problem.

All brown (ground / negative) wires should be able to be shared.

On my layout I have a 7209 distribution box (it wouldn't matter if it was any kind of distribution box, Marklin or general electronics). I have the following plugged into this box:

-MS 2 Ground from 60113 "track box"
-Track grounds
-Turnout grounds (including turnouts with built-in lanterns, all K track in my case)
-Analog transformers (6646) (supply lighting and track power)
-Additional 7209 (more grounds)

I have an on-off-on toggle that moves the red (B or +) from 60113 to 6646 to switch between analog and digital. I just supply this last bit of info to clarify why 6646 and 60113 share a ground outside of lighting. I also have it set up so I can run my shunting yard analog while the rest of the layout is digital. Common ground does not cause an issue under any of these configurations.

I also connected my father in law's layout in a similar way. Ground for 60113 and 6646 the same. "Positive" isolated. In his case 6646 just powers turnouts and turnout lanterns, never the track. The turnout lanterns do not flicker with the exception of one that had a bad connection. After improving the ground connection, it stopped flickering (it was loose).

-Brandon
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2013 22:21:50(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Views messages in topic : 1,343
I generally resist answering questions like this because 1. I may not fully understand your description/question or 2. You may have poorly worded your question. I am not saying you do not understand english, it's just easy sometimes to write something that makes sense to yourself, then someone ask "well what if..." and then you realize you worded your question poorly. The net result is damaged electrical equipment.

You can tie the grounds (brown) wires from several power sources together without trouble and make the ground wiring simple and easy to maintain. Never, ever connect the hot (yellow or red) from multiple power sources together. These must always be isolated from each other.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt